Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 21:26
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is deserving of any praise given to them, they are really the perfect band.  The music has is so bold and deep, it's incredible.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:23
The new disc is quite fun. I'm not as awe-struck by them as some of you appear to be but they're not a bad band. =)
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:20
Originally posted by LeInsomniac LeInsomniac wrote:

Thats my problem and the problem of all their european fans we probably wont have the possibilitie in all of their carrer to see them where they're worth been heared and seen, in a live show...(sigh) oh well...
They are starting to tour Europe, they did a couple of shows over there this year. Hopefully they will do a full tour.

Their live shows are spectacular, I've seen them twice.Tongue

Edited by king of Siam - July 08 2007 at 20:26
docsolar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:13
I really like SGM, from what I've heard...I haven't listened to the whole album "Of Natural History" yet, but I am acquiring it now, and should be listening in the next 2-3 days.

And as for classical music, it's largely the result of study, whereas rock music tends to be the result of expression and emotion, and I enjoy both disciplines. I think when both disciplines combine, it creates perfect music, and prog fits that bill often.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 14:19
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Why do these threads always end up being stupid?
As for "classical elitism," keep in mind that Mozart wrote 70 CDs worth of music all out by hand, most of it, at least, much more complex than Yes and written at a much younger age.

But just out of curiosity, Saasquamo, would you call any of your jazz heroes "genius"?

I like SGM a lot, although I wouldn't say they're the "best" because there isn't anything that is the "best" for me. Am I the only person who thinks of music in tiers of enjoyment? (Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)

Although a bit to drastic and... raw, you are right.
Comparing never leads to anything, there is no best, only favorites... except for King Crimson of courseWink
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 22:48
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

(Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)

Clap

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 14:07
Why do these threads always end up being stupid?
As for "classical elitism," keep in mind that Mozart wrote 70 CDs worth of music all out by hand, most of it, at least, much more complex than Yes and written at a much younger age.

But just out of curiosity, Saasquamo, would you call any of your jazz heroes "genius"?

I like SGM a lot, although I wouldn't say they're the "best" because there isn't anything that is the "best" for me. Am I the only person who thinks of music in tiers of enjoyment? (Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 19:36
Thats my problem and the problem of all their european fans we probably wont have the possibilitie in all of their carrer to see them where they're worth been heared and seen, in a live show...(sigh) oh well...

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 09:40
I'm pretty much in awe of SGM. To use an extended metaphor - "out of left field" doesn't even begin to describe their sound. More like "out of left solar system".

It's definitely "difficult" music, and not all of it is equal in brilliance, IMO... but the first 3 tracks of "Of Natural History" are among the most interesting things I've heard in music in a long time.

Having seen them live has certainly solidified my opinion of them. Until you actually see them perform, the sheer level of virtuosity doesn't really impact you fully, IMO.
Pure Brilliance:
ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 05:47
Originally posted by LeInsomniac LeInsomniac wrote:

So lets open a discussion here, what do you think about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?
The donkey-headed adversary of humanity opens the discussion Wink
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 05:02
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

you fulfilled a stereotype so swiftly that i reacted just as swiftly. consider my annoyance as being directed more to those that actually do think in such a way. (and you must admit, your choices are fairly characteristic of the type... and were delivered in a fairly dismissive manner, " of course not.")

I guess you don't see how perfectly you fullfill you're own stereotype. Being a 19 year old guy with metal edged prog preferances, and bored by  Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Bach, Mozart, Samla Mannas Manna and Univers Zero. Millions of young men has been there in one way or another before you, and hundreds just in this forum.

You're tastes will change, and maybe sometime you'll give some extra credit to Bach too. You might even start to get bored by SGM and thrilled by UZ.

Edited by Rocktopus - July 06 2007 at 05:57
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
cuoredifalena View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 04:29
i am not a good reviewer so i can only say that the first time i listened to them,i fell in love with their music..and off course the more i listened to them the more i appreciated them..
simply i am so glad that i like their music.. if i only think that... i could have hated them...!!!
does anybody know if they will ever tour Europe..? will they ever come to London?

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 00:46
Originally posted by Yanns Yanns wrote:

I love SGM. I haven't heard In Glorious Times yet, and god I want to, but going off the previous two, I love the band. They are my favorite RIO band, and (I think) my second favorite American band, behind The Mars Volta.

Uh, thats right, the Mars Volta are also from the States... even though I consider them to be more of a multi national band... still, I think I like the Sleepys a bit more... just a bit
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 00:32
Yes, but did you expect this kind of Spanish Inquisition?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 00:27

They are great and even rank among a lot of bands I think are masters but there are a lot of avant band that I think blow them out of the water.

They are probably one of my favorite of the Avant/RIO genre only bested by Bungle, Hella, Aksak Maboul, Zappa, SMM, and a lot of others...but atleast I will waste my time and money on them.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat band.
Prometheus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 00:09
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

And to the classical elitist (as I assume) who posted the LOLs, you can think Bach and Mozart are miles above everyone else, but I frankly don't care.

you realize, of course, that the reason i responded at all was because of exactly this...you came off as exactly such an elitist (but i felt like being a pain).

at any rate,  your right, i didn't care enough to so much as look below your avatar; you fulfilled a stereotype so swiftly that i reacted just as swiftly. consider my annoyance as being directed more to those that actually do think in such a way. (and you must admit, your choices are fairly characteristic of the type... and were delivered in a fairly dismissive manner, " of course not.")
"Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel."
--Kayo Dot
Yanns View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 23:51
I love SGM. I haven't heard In Glorious Times yet, and god I want to, but going off the previous two, I love the band. They are my favorite RIO band, and (I think) my second favorite American band, behind The Mars Volta.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:57
I know what you're saying stonebeard.. and Mozart had some crap BTW, so it all evens out.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:50
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

Stonebeard... its ok, you can like music made after 1979.

You really don't know me do you? Just look at what Collab Team I'm on. That should tell you something. Wink

Trust me, I like a lot of metal and avant music. In fact I like just about every band I've heard on PA, to some degree. I just don't think they're geniuses, and I mentioned the bands/artists that I mentioned because they're the prog and non-prog artists that sprug to my mind at the term "genius."

And to the classical elitist (as I assume) who posted the LOLs, you can think Bach and Mozart are miles above everyone else, but I frankly don't care.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:50
^^^^^^
agreed, SGM are the best band to come out from the States, no, better yet, my favorite, in quite some time when it comes to prog... mmm... make that ever, the best band to come out of the States everrrrrrr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>