FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolitical discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 303>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 19:08
Funny how Bush felt it was important to tighten the rules about consumer bankruptcy a few years back at the heeding of credit companies. Yet, here we are with another financial industry self-inflicted catastrophe and the answer once again seems to be a government handout to the corporations with no penalties suffered nor any request for re-imbursement, and little mention of any thought to the necessity of regulations to minimise this happening again & again. Savings & Loan, MCI, Enron. Let's not forget Chrysler's half billion dollar bailout which made Lee Iaccoca a business legend, only to see the same company get blindsided by new market trends that overseas carmakers always seem to be able to ready themselves for. GM, Ford, and Chrysler (Dainler Benz came in too late to be blamed) have continually proven their shortsightedness. When the big car boom started, they were all too happy to jump in and completely side line any attempt at keeping up their small & compact car offerings competitive. They went for bigger and bigger, and made casual efforts to build their share of the more fuel efficient automotives.
The U.S. government is loaded with leaders who have the same quality. To act the gourmand in good times, and deny the bad times until it's too late. Why worry about tomorrow when I don't have to pay today, eh.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 19:12
^ can you actually think of any case where blind deregulation and dereliction of proper oversight has ever had any good results in our (US) government and economy?

I also welcome INVORD's response.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 31 2008 at 15:30
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 21:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^ can you actually think of any case where blind deregulation and dereliction of proper oversight has ever had any good results in our (US) government and economy?

The internet?
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 21:36
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Funny how Bush felt it was important to tighten the rules about consumer bankruptcy a few years back at the heeding of credit companies. Yet, here we are with another financial industry self-inflicted catastrophe and the answer once again seems to be a government handout to the corporations with no penalties suffered nor any request for re-imbursement, and little mention of any thought to the necessity of regulations to minimise this happening again & again.

I also welcome INVORD's response.
The government must regulate itself first. It's not another financial industry self-inflicted catastrophe. It's a government-induced nation-wide economic calamity. It's not really "blind" deregulation (if I get your meaning), it's been a government-sponsored keep-the-economy-afloat-at-any-cost effort. Ever since the end of 1997 all we do is patching one financial hole after another with more an more dollar printing.  I am not a proponent of the gold standard as it's not a viable option in modern economy, but there must be a tight control of the money supply. There are times when the country should be helped with emergency monetary injections, but economic booms should not be created artificially for purely political reasons. THe present problems can be easily traced back to Clinton years.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 12:02

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 02 2008 at 00:13
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 21:30

The Navy’s Two Newest Ships

USS RONALD REAGAN….

reagan.jpg

When the Bridge pipes ‘Man the Rail’ there is a lot of rail to man on this monster: shoulder to shoulder, around 4.5 acres. Her displacement is about 100,000 tons with full complement.

Interesting Facts:

• 1. Top speed exceeds 30 knots, powered by two nuclear reactors that can operate for more than 20 years without refueling.
  • 2. Expected to operate in the fleet for about 50 years. Carries over 80 combat aircraft.
  • 3. Three arresting cables can stop a 28-ton aircraft going 150 miles per hour in less than 400 feet.
  • 4. Towers 20 stories above the waterline 1092 feet long; nearly as long as the Empire State Building is tall.
  • 5. Flight deck covers 4.5 acres.
  • 6. 4 bronze propellers, each 21 feet across, weighing 66,200 pounds, 2 rudders, each 29 by 22 feet and weighing 50 tons.
  • 7. 4 high speed aircraft elevators, each over 4,000 square feet.
  • 8. Home to about 6,000 Navy personnel.
  • 9. Carries e nough food and supplies to operate for 90 days.
  • 10. 18,150 meals served daily.
  • 11. Distillation plants provide 400,000 gallons of fresh water from sea water daily, enough for 2000 homes.
  • 12. Nearly 30,000 light fixtures and 1,325 miles of cable and wiring 1,400 telephones.
  • 13. 14,000 pillowcases and 28,000 sheets. Costs the Navy approximately $250,000 per day for pier side operation.
  • 14. Costs the Navy approximately $25 million per day for underway operations (Sailor’s salaries included).

USS BILL CLINTON

clinton.jpg

The USS William Jefferson Clinton (CVS1) set sail today from its home port of Vancouver , BC.

The ship is the first of its kind in the Navy and is a standing legacy to President Bill Clinton ‘for his foresight in military budget cuts’ and his conduct while president.

The ship is constructed nearly entirely from recycled aluminum and is completely solar powered with a top speed of 5 knots. It boasts an arsenal comprised of one (unarmed) F14 Tomcat or one (unarmed) F18 Hornet aircraft which, although they cannot be launched or captured on the 100 foot flight deck, form a very menacing presence.

As a standing order there are no firearms allowed on board. The 20 person crew is completely diversified, including members of all races, creeds, sex, and sexual orientation. This crew, like the crew aboard the USS Jimmy Carter, is specially trained to avoid conflicts and appease any and all enemies of the United States at all costs!

An onboard Type One DNC Universal Translator can send out messages of apology in any language to anyone who may find America offensive. The number of apologies are limitless and though some may sound hollow and disingenuous, the Navy advises that all apologies will sound very sincere.

The ship’s purpose is not defined so much as a unit of national defense, but instead in times of conflict the USS Clinton has orders to seek refuge in Canada. The ship may be positioned near the Democratic National Party Headquarters for photo-ops and can be used extensively for social experimentation and whatever other worthless jobs the ex-commander-in-chief and his wife can think of. It is largely rumored that the ship will also be the set for the upcoming season of MTV’s The Real World.

The ship was renamed and commissioned ‘USS William J Clinton’ when someone realized the ‘USS Blowfish’ was already taken.

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 21:38
U.S.S. Jimmy Carter

WASHINGTON (Roto Reuters) -- The Department of Defense announced June 3 that the Navy�s newest Seawolf-class nuclear-powered submarine Jimmy Carter will be christened June 5 during an 11 a.m. ET ceremony at General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Conn.

The submarine, Jimmy Carter, honors the 39th president of the United States. Carter is the only U.S. president to qualify in submarines. He has distinguished himself by a lifetime of public service, and has long ties to the Navy and the submarine force. He is a 1946 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, served as an officer aboard submarines while in uniform, and served as commander-in-chief from 1977-1981. Carter's statesmanship, philanthropy and sense of humanity have made him one of the most influential Americans of the late 20th century.

Shown here is the artist conception of the U.S.S. Jimmy Carter at sea.

As specified by Jimmy Carter and his daughter Amy the submarine carries no tactical nuclear weapons. The missile system carried is the new Paci-Fist missile guaranteed to pack a punch to those with peanut allergies resulting in possibly wiping one percent of enemy combatants with anaphylaxis. The peace-not-warhead delivers delivers weapons grade peanut butter (P-232).

Mr. Carter initially requested that the submarine use solar power or an alternate fuel such as Billy Beer instead of a nuclear power plant. These ideas were rejected after explaining a submarine that could never submerge or where burps showed on on enemy sonar was of no use.

The Navy is especially glad to complete this project. During construction inexplicably inflations costs for all parts was between 19 and 20 percent. Mr. Carter himself negotiated deals for components from North Korea and Haiti which initially looked favorable but later fell apart. One effort to negotiate with suppliers in Iran fell apart when their Helicopters crashed in the sand.

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 11:29

"Formerly no one was allowed to think freely; now it is permitted, but no one is capable of it any more. Now people want to think only what they are supposed to think, and this they consider freedom."

- Oswald Spengler in The Decline of the West (1918)

Wal-Mart warns managers against Democrats

Reuters

August 1, 2008 at 11:19 AM EDT

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Friday it has held meetings with United States store managers warning them of issues that could arise if Democrats win power and pass a law that would make it easier for workers to unionize, but stressed it was not telling workers how to vote.

Wal-Mart opposes proposed legislation called the Employee Free Choice Act, which would make it easier for workers to unionize by signing a card rather than holding a vote.

“We believe EFCA is a bad bill and we have been on record as opposing it for some time,” Wal-Mart spokesman David Tovar said. “We feel educating our associates about the bill is the right thing to do.”

The Wall Street Journal reported that about a dozen employees who attended meetings in seven states said executives told them employees would be required to pay hefty union dues and get nothing in return, and warned that unionization could force Wal-Mart to cut jobs as labour costs rise.

The Journal report said Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings do not specifically tell attendees how to vote in November's presidential election, but they make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Senator Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in.

“If anyone representing Wal-Mart gave the impression we were telling associates how to vote, they were wrong and acting without approval,” Mr. Tovar said.

Wal-Mart, which does not have a unionized U.S. workforce, has been the target of union-backed groups that criticize the retailer for everything from its pay practices to its health care benefits.

As posted on the Globe and Mail's site.

"nuff said ?

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 13:55
I seriously do not shop at Wal-Mart because of their anti-union attitude.  Perhaps they should think about that.  I think workers for one of the largest companies in the world are entitled to the leverage that organizing can bring.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 01 2008 at 17:57
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 14:03

I seriously do not shop at Wal-Mart because of their anti-union attitude.  Perhaps they should think about that.

I'm sure they're taking your personal boycott into serious consideration.  Wink
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 15:38
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

I seriously do not shop at Wal-Mart because of their anti-union attitude.  Perhaps they should think about that.

LOL

I shop at Walmart because they're always rolling back prices.  Tongue

Actually, I think a lot of people boycott Walmart for various reasons, anti-union attitudes, hiring of illegal immigrants, refusing to sell music they deem "inappropriate", etc.  I don't shop at Walmart because it's like taking a trip through the trailer parks of the US. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 17:51
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

LOL

I shop at Walmart because they're always rolling back prices.  Tongue

Actually, I think a lot of people boycott Walmart for various reasons, anti-union attitudes, hiring of illegal immigrants, refusing to sell music they deem "inappropriate", etc.  I don't shop at Walmart because it's like taking a trip through the trailer parks of the US. 

I'm actually not alone in the boycott.  And I'd totally forgotten about another reason to do so, having the gaul to decide what's inappropriate for us.  http://www.theroc.org/boycotts/walmart.htm

http://walmart**tch.com/
OK the autobleeper took out "wa" in the link above.
http://www.1worldcommunication.org/Walmart.htm
http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A17618
http://boycottwalmart.meetup.com/
http://user.pa.net/~nrwing/buyamerican/

And then there's this:
"

JACKSON, Missouri (CNN) -- Debbie Shank breaks down in tears every time she's told that her 18-year-old son, Jeremy, was killed in Iraq.

Debbie%20Shank

Debbie Shank, 52, has severe brain damage after a traffic accident in May 2000.

Click%20to%20view%20previous%20image
1 of 3
Click%20to%20view%20next%20image

The 52-year-old mother of three attended her son's funeral, but she continues to ask how he's doing. When her family reminds her that he's dead, she weeps as if hearing the news for the first time.

Shank suffered severe brain damage after a traffic accident nearly eight years ago that robbed her of much of her short-term memory and left her in a wheelchair and living in a nursing home.

It was the beginning of a series of battles -- both personal and legal -- that loomed for Shank and her family. One of their biggest was with Wal-Mart's health plan.

Eight years ago, Shank was stocking shelves for the retail giant and signed up for Wal-Mart's health and benefits plan.

Two years after the accident, Shank and her husband, Jim, were awarded about $1 million in a lawsuit against the trucking company involved in the crash. After legal fees were paid, $417,000 was placed in a trust to pay for Debbie Shank's long-term care.

Wal-Mart had paid out about $470,000 for Shank's medical expenses and later sued for the same amount. However, the court ruled it can only recoup what is left in the family's trust.

The Shanks didn't notice in the fine print of Wal-Mart's health plan policy that the company has the right to recoup medical expenses if an employee collects damages in a lawsuit."

Complete story here: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/25/walmart.insurance.battle/

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 02 2008 at 05:33
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 19:30
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 21:24

I seriously do not shop at Wal-Mart because of their anti-union attitude.  
On the other hand, the unions, after having been the champion for the working class rights a hundred years ago,  metamorphosed into obnoxious extortionists and blackmailers (as does any entity capable of wielding serious power). I remember vividly the NYC subway strike in the spring on 1980 when they held the entire city hostage to their exorbitant demands. They put their collective tail betwen their legs after Reagan crushed the air controllers strike, but that made them even more hypocritical and morally corrupt as they have to justify their existence to their members while walking the tightrope of appeasing the big business.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 21:37
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 05:44

I was thinking about opening a new thread for this but it isn't really worthy.  Tom puts it as well as I can:

Tom Tomorrow:

You do realize that there's probably nothing that makes Rush Limbaugh more happy than eliciting this type of response.

Well, then happy anniversary jerk!

I think it's highly unlikely he visits Tom's site or progarchives, but just in case.LOL

So what were you implying, I should say nice things about him so I'll annoy him?

Rush, is that you? Wink
Sweetiekins? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 06:33

Two years after the accident, Shank and her husband, Jim, were awarded about $1 million in a lawsuit against the trucking company involved in the crash. After legal fees were paid, $417,000 was placed in a trust to pay for Debbie Shank's long-term care.

Wal-Mart had paid out about $470,000 for Shank's medical expenses and later sued for the same amount. However, the court ruled it can only recoup what is left in the family's trust.

The Shanks didn't notice in the fine print of Wal-Mart's health plan policy that the company has the right to recoup medical expenses if an employee collects damages in a lawsuit."

Unfortunately, those types of clauses (subrogation clauses) are typical in almost all insurance policies.  Generally, if someone collects money from his or her insurance company and also wins damages against the person who caused the harm, the insurance company has a right to collect the damages won, up to the amount of the insurance payout.  Sadly, there is nothing uncommon about that.  And while I'm no fan of Walmart, this case has more to do with the fact that insurance companies are evil than with Walmart being evil. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 13:23

So what were you implying, I should say nice things about him so I'll annoy him?

I implied nothing.  But usually the best recourse in dealing with "trolls" is to ignore them.  I've listened to these types of shows on occasion and the personalities as well as their audience thrives on the vitriol of their adversaries - it only emboldens them and strengthens their resolve and belief in what they're saying.  You're still free to express as much hatred for the man as you want, of course, and I have no problem with that - just relaying an observation is merely what I intended.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 15:23
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Unfortunately, those types of clauses (subrogation clauses) are typical in almost all insurance policies.  Generally, if someone collects money from his or her insurance company and also wins damages against the person who caused the harm, the insurance company has a right to collect the damages won, up to the amount of the insurance payout.  Sadly, there is nothing uncommon about that.  And while I'm no fan of Walmart, this case has more to do with the fact that insurance companies are evil than with Walmart being evil. 
That comes from the notion that one can't collect twice on the same claim. It's not unfortunate, just logical, otherwise the court system would be flooded with repeatitive claims. I'm not saying the insurance companies are nice guys being the thieves and usurers they are, but they are absolutely right in this case.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 15:25

I've listened to these types of shows on occasion
Isn't it just a waste of time?LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 303>