Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 12:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

'Cool' is not a word I'd ever have asscociated with Judas Priest

You mean this isn't cool?

I have all of Priest's albums up to 'Screaming For Vengeance' - splendid live band, tongue firmly in cheek the whole time, yet creators of some of the finest 1970's heavy metal.

But are they prog?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 13:36
Really tight headbaging band. Better than some prog bands. Will definitely go see them if they come to Montreal.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 13:47

priest are among my favorite metal bands! I have over 10 records from them: they RULE!

their guitar sound is one of the best in the metal history, especially on albums like point of entry, screaming for vengeance, defenders of the faith, turbo and ram it down. my favorite ones are sad wings of destiny, si after sin, derfenders of the faith and screaming for vengeance! i attended the screaming for vengeance show in 1984: rob halford came on stage with a huge harley davidson! the pyrotechnics were UNBELIEVABLE! these guys are real professionals! they know how to play perfect guitar! but i listened to the jugulator album and i said: no, it is time i stop to follow them. so, i'm a priest nostalgic fan.

and yes, sad wimngs of destiny has a few prog elements: holford's voice is absolutely superb!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 14:02
Yeah, I like the preist of old. I remember when Screaming for Vengeance came out and the video for You`ve Got Another Thing Coming was banned on Much Music because they blew a guy up at point. I think it lasted one week before they pulled it!  Ithink it was banned on MTV as well but I`m not sure.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 17:55

Jim Garten wrote:

You mean this isn't cool?

I have all of Priest's albums up to 'Screaming For Vengeance' - splendid live band, tongue firmly in cheek the whole time, yet creators of some of the finest 1970's heavy metal.

What!

Is this site getting out of control here?Judas are nothing in the slightest prog...God i hate heavy metal...

Edited by Karnevil9
slipperman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 18:40

Originally posted by billyshears'67 billyshears'67 wrote:

I' own about 10 Priest albums and I got their new album "Angel of Retribution" the day it came out and it's ok, but not essential. The single from it "Revolution" isn't any good and it takes the riff from "Mountain Song" by Jane's Addiction (a great band).

The lyrics and titles seem to still be cheessy, ex: "Demonizer," "Lochness."

They're still a great live band and I'm gonna see them with Queensryche this year.

Peace & take care

"Revolution" sucks. So does "Wheels Of Fire". but the rest of it, taking away the lame chorus of "Deal With The Devil" is far above expectations. I'm a huge Priest fan, especially of their '70s material, but this comeback stuff is getting a bit old. So I was surprsied that 'Angel Of Retribution' is so very good, definitely all kinds of great singing by Halford here too. I'm glad they mellow it out toward the end with "Angel" and "Eulogy", Halford sounds amazing on "Angel". "Judas Rising" is one the best J.P. songs period. But I have to disagree with BillyShears67 as quoted above, regarding the lyrics to "Lochness". Sure, the idea of them writing a song about the Lochness Monster is cheesy, but I think the lyrics pull it through (not to mention it being a hypnotic 13-minute plodder...):

"A beastly head of onyx, with eyes set coals of fire

its leathered hide glides glistening

ascends the heathered briar"

I mean, that's good! It sure ain't Krokus-level cheese or anything...

Now, let's get back to prog. I love metal, and JP's early albums have some prog elements, but this is a prog site so we're probably overstepping the bounds, eh? 

...it is real...it is Rael...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 14:04
Hate is a very strong word . I hope yourealize you`ve hurt a lot of  our feelings here on metalarchives.com
dougiejs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 17:05
I am a Brummie and back when I was a teenager in the dim and distant past I loved Judas Priest particularly Sad Wings and now see that that album was a stepping stone into the prog I got into by the late 70's.However I dug the album out about three months ago and have to say although I enjoyed the nostalgic element I found the album naive and almost laughable(maybe they did have their tongue firmly in their cheek but it's a fine line to walk and where Alex Harvey did it with aplomb Judas Priest did not).I finally lost complete faith with them when I went to see them(for about the 5th time) just before or after the release of British Steel at Birmingham Odeon and they made us wait hours because they felt it more important to be in London recording TOP OF THE POPS!!!!!!! What a sell-out!!!!!!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 10:08
When you say laughable take a look at a lot of progressive rock music. If it weren't for the progressive rock music of the seventies I doubt very much whether the movie Spinal Tap would have been made.
Prosciutto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 21:33
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I have about 6 priest albums from the 70`s. One of my favourite covers is Fleedwood Mac`s Green Manalishi done by Rob & the boys. I haven`t heard the latest album with Halford back but will give it a listen next time I`m in the record store. I`ve read a few unfavourable reviews though. Last summer Halford substituted for Ozzy at a Black Sabbath gig in the states somewhere, would have loved to hear that! Apparently Iommi was impressed with his performance. 

Cool! I believe I once downloaded a version of Into The Void with Halford on vocals once... so it wouldn't have been the first time then... (can't find it anymore though). That must've been quite something, Vibe!  

Rob Halford fronted Black Sabbath twice, the first time in 1992 on the two final dates of the Dehumanizer Tour when Ronnie James Dio suddenly left the band. The second time was last year on the Ozzfest when Ozzy Osbourne was ill (the band included Adam Wakeman on keyboards on that tour), incidentally Judas Priest was the co-headliner.

Anyway, I've always been a big Judas Priest fan, they were (along with Iron Maiden) arguably the Greatest Heavy Metal band ever. However, personally I think Savatage is a much more enjoyable band.

Don't be a prog-hole, please...
yesman72 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 22:33
Judas Priest's first 9 or so albums kick ass. Especially Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin which seem to be related because the title of the title of the latter being mentioned in a song from the former. Iron Maiden also kick ass. The new Priest album is awesome but it will never stand pu to their classic stuff.
Gomah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 01:50
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

I used to be a huge Priest fan about two years ago (I have almost all of their albums), but what I've heard from the new album was not that great. I still like some of their earlier stuff though (from Rocka Rolla to Killing Machine). I would even dare to say that their first two albums have progressive elements.

I was listening to Rocka Rolla tonight after a while and was thinking that it contains prog, so I searched the forum to see what others think and found out that some think the same. I like Judas Priest, Beyond The Realms Of Death seems to be Judas Priest's Stairway to Heaven. There is an interesting story about that song:

"Our drummer at the time, Les Binks, was left-handed. One day he walked into the studio and picked up one of the guitars - it must've been mine because Glenn would guard his with his life! Anyway, Les picked it up, turned it up-side down and played that riff. We thought, 'That's nice! Let's put a song around that...'. I don't know where he got it from. I've never heard him play anything else on guitar, ever!"
- K.K. Downing, Metal Works liner notes, 1993

"Les came in and grabbed an electric guitar and played the intro to what became 'Realms...', and Rob had written out lyrics already about subliminal thoughts and some other weird sh*t, so we put the song together. Well he wrote all the licks expect for the solos. I suppose that he was just f**king around with the guitar and picked the riff up."
- K.K. Downing, 1988

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 08:27

To me, 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' is...intake of breath....THE greatest heavy metal album ever made! It flows perfectly, and brought a new complexity in musicianship and production values to the genre. It's Priest's finest for me as well, though all their albums from 'Sad Wings...' through 'Defenders Of The Faith' are excellent. 'Painkiller' is highly rated by many, and it's a good album, but for me veered a little too much on the 'thrash' side of things to be a true classic Priest album. The 'Ripper' Owens era veered even more in that direction.

Their latest, 'Angel Of Retribution', was to me their greatest effort since 'Defenders Of The Faith'. Most songs were superb on there, with a few ('Demonizer', 'Judas Rising', 'Hellrider') comparable to their best. I also loved 'Lochness'. Many lambasted it, but I thought it was the best thing on the album. It WAS preposterous and over the top, but the best of Priest's work always was. It also brought a touch of prog back, and Sabbath would be proud of the doomy riffing on it.

As for 'Beyond The Realms Of Death', I thought it was quite akin to Styx's 'Suite Madame Blue', which itself derived much from Led Zeppelin's take on 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You'. However, all three songs are equal in their excellent quality.

Lambskin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 21:36

Gentle souls one and all, Priest would never condone such infighting among it's fans.

Remember Painkiller? Sooo soothing and peacful. only wish the volume knob went to 11!

www.sinistergrin.net

ROCK ON!
Lambskin
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 12:14

"Sad wings of destiny" or "rocka rolla" have their prog moments (dreamer deceiver, winter retreat...). The rest just sounds horrible to my ears.

ANYWAY, THE BEST HEAVY METAL ALBUM!!!!!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 17:03

Sad Wings... the first Prog Metal album?

Well, it was 1972, and the songs are incredibly complex for 1972. This album stands up alongside any of the NWOBHM, yet it was 6 years too early - so it's possible.

I love the cover of Spooky Tooth's "Better By You, Better Than Me" - which leads me to suspect that the Priest (as well as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple) were heavily influenced by the latter's "Spooky Two" album - a much overlooked classic.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 18:00

'Sad Wings..' was made in 1976, I'm certain. Their debut, 'Rocka Rolla' didn't come out until 1974, but the band had been around since 1969 (!) with various line-ups.

matti meikäläin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 07:05
infact sad wings of destiny isn't bad and has SOME good tracks but especially the eigties material is really 
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 09:48
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

'Sad Wings..' was made in 1976, I'm certain. Their debut, 'Rocka Rolla' didn't come out until 1974, but the band had been around since 1969 (!) with various line-ups.

Oh... yes it was 1976

It still predates the NWOBHM though

KeleCableII View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 17:30
I love their song, "Exciter". One of my favorites.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>