Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew York's reaction to the president of Iran.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: New York's reaction to the president of Iran
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.76%]
3 [17.65%]
6 [35.29%]
6 [35.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 13:55
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

He's not a lunatic, he's a shrewd politician. I voted that he should have been treated politely. He certainly shouldn't have received have received the treatment he did for the quarter it did. It's gross hypocricy for the elite media and the neo-cons to lambast someone for human rights abuses when they're responsible for far greater suffering.
not to sound hostile, but I think this is going a bit too far.  A shrewd politician would be Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan...knowing the public and marketing your goals and beliefs to gain a following.  Ahmadinejad is a violent dictator, there's no masking the torture and suffering that he causes, and the absurd things he says...he's clearly more ridiculous than American neo-cons and politicians.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 13:49
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

The whole thing is a publicity stunt on the part of Washington. The man is a lunatic, and Washington knows it. One could say it takes one to know one etc.. The purpose of the visit was to bolster support, among the US electorate for an attack on Iran. We did the same in the UK. Channel 4 news conducted a pointless interview, designed to make the Iranian leader look evasive and look like a liar, which of course he is. That said I do not want to see war with Iran. I'm not sure people realise how serious that would be, in terms of the damage to global security, and global economics. Still, as Britney Spears once said, we sould trust Bush. He knows what he's doing. I found that reasurring..
The irony in this situation is that the pro-war neo-con media was completely outraged at the gesture...almost as if they're too damn stupid to even see that such a gesture is swinging the sheep around to their agenda.

I think he should have been received politely and treated like a human: allow him to make an ass of himself before jumping on him - did the school president really need to come down with his contrived moral hammer?  As if we might actually allow Ahmadinejad to convince the student body to become terrorists.  Gimme a break!  There was so much self-righteousness in the air that you could smell it through the tv set.  Having said that, there is no way a man who denies the Holocaust and hangs homosexuals is "misunderstood", he is a lunatic, but lunatics deserve a certain level of humane treatment.

Apparenrtly there are no homosexuals in Iran, according to Armoureddinnerjacket...

There would probably have been some trepidation in Washington about what effect his visit may have had on the nations student population. Of course the fears were ill founded, but it's quite offensive how little credit Bush gives Americas youth.   
No homosexuals in Iran?  That would probably be a blessing to said homosexuals....the truth is that they live in fear and if their secret ever comes out, there is terrible punishment (ie. they are hanged, tortured, etc.).

I've come to think that Bush & co. aren't really underestimating the youth...in fact they are likely afraid that we (the youth) will begin to think for ourselves and reach beyond the everpresent propaganda they've sold to us....of course the whole outrage surrounding this event is just another power-play; anytime the media and politicians notice something that they can't control, they don't know how to handle it, so they blow it into a huge ordeal as to not go out unheard. 
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 13:47
He's not a lunatic, he's a shrewd politician. I voted that he should have been treated politely. He certainly shouldn't have received have received the treatment he did for the quarter it did. It's gross hypocricy for the elite media and the neo-cons to lambast someone for human rights abuses when they're responsible for far greater suffering.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 06:37
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

The whole thing is a publicity stunt on the part of Washington. The man is a lunatic, and Washington knows it. One could say it takes one to know one etc.. The purpose of the visit was to bolster support, among the US electorate for an attack on Iran. We did the same in the UK. Channel 4 news conducted a pointless interview, designed to make the Iranian leader look evasive and look like a liar, which of course he is. That said I do not want to see war with Iran. I'm not sure people realise how serious that would be, in terms of the damage to global security, and global economics. Still, as Britney Spears once said, we sould trust Bush. He knows what he's doing. I found that reasurring..
The irony in this situation is that the pro-war neo-con media was completely outraged at the gesture...almost as if they're too damn stupid to even see that such a gesture is swinging the sheep around to their agenda.

I think he should have been received politely and treated like a human: allow him to make an ass of himself before jumping on him - did the school president really need to come down with his contrived moral hammer?  As if we might actually allow Ahmadinejad to convince the student body to become terrorists.  Gimme a break!  There was so much self-righteousness in the air that you could smell it through the tv set.  Having said that, there is no way a man who denies the Holocaust and hangs homosexuals is "misunderstood", he is a lunatic, but lunatics deserve a certain level of humane treatment.

Apparenrtly there are no homosexuals in Iran, according to Armoureddinnerjacket...

There would probably have been some trepidation in Washington about what effect his visit may have had on the nations student population. Of course the fears were ill founded, but it's quite offensive how little credit Bush gives Americas youth.   
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 20:14

The whole thing is a publicity stunt on the part of Washington. The man is a lunatic, and Washington knows it. One could say it takes one to know one etc..

The purpose of the visit was to bolster support, among the US electorate for an attack on Iran. We did the same in the UK. Channel 4 news conducted a pointless interview, designed to make the Iranian leader look evasive and look like a liar, which of course he is. That said I do not want to see war with Iran. I'm not sure people realise how serious that would be, in terms of the damage to global security, and global economics.

Still, as Britney Spears once said, we sould trust Bush. He knows what he's doing. I found that reasurring..

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 10:22
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

He was so informative.  Who knew that Iran is the only country in the world that doesn't have homosexuals?  I  did  not  know  that!

"Are there any queers in the audience tonight? Put them up against the wall."  I think that Mr. I'm a Nut Job might be a Pink Floyd fan.  (Name botch courtesy of Jay Leno).

Edited by rushfan4 - September 30 2007 at 10:22
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 10:16
The whole thing is a publicity stunt on the part of Washington. The man is a lunatic, and Washington knows it. One could say it takes one to know one etc..

The purpose of the visit was to bolster support, among the US electorate for an attack on Iran. We did the same in the UK. Channel 4 news conducted a pointless interview, designed to make the Iranian leader look evasive and look like a liar, which of course he is. That said I do not want to see war with Iran. I'm not sure people realise how serious that would be, in terms of the damage to global security, and global economics.

Still, as Britney Spears once said, we sould trust Bush. He knows what he's doing. I found that reasurring..
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 10:10
He was so informative.  Who knew that Iran is the only country in the world that doesn't have homosexuals?  I  did  not  know  that!
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 08:23
I agree with your post.

I voted for the "welcomed politely" option, I believe in treating others the way I want to be treated.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 08:16
What do you think?

I believe that he's kind of out of his mind, but:
_He made some reasonable points about the U.S. policing the world (especially the middle east), that the U.S. was the only one to use nuclear energy to do harm, and his point on the suffering of the Palestinian. The media failed on just purely commenting on his ridiculous "no gays in iran" statement
_The president of the University's insulting remarks were uncalled for. It's not gonna help the U.S image. The comparison with Osama Bin Laden did not make much sense.
_Not being allowed on ground zero to pay tribute to the 9/11 victims makes things more complicated, though I have the feeling he asked permission knowing that he would be denied and use that for political reasons at home.

I think this was a huge diplomatic bust and would only give fuel to the neo-con machine to bomb Iran.

Edited by Zitro - September 30 2007 at 08:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12