Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSabbath vs Zeppelin (REAL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: who's the better band/guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [26.83%]
50 [60.98%]
7 [8.54%]
3 [3.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 07:54
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Seriously?????

Every band member in Led Zeppelin blows away their counterparts in Black Sabbath on their respective instruments.
Well, I play all of the respective instrumentsbetter than Black sabbath. Certainly doesn't make my music better. Where Zep is concerned, I have also stolen less music from the front porches of Mississippi and Louisiana.
Too true, but Zeps non Blues-Rock stuff has always made them stand out for me. Songs like Kashmir, Achilles, Stairway, No Quarter, Ten years gone etc. etc., give them a depth that I don't think Sabbath quite matches (although I'm not that familiar with Dio era Sab).
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 08:01
Originally posted by efoman efoman wrote:

I'm sorry. I think Black Sabbath sucks, and am shocked that they get the credit they get. I saw where some of Zeppelin's stuff was considered outdated, whereas Sabbath's wasn't. I attribute that to the fact that the world is a darker and angrier place than it was in the early 70's, and the mood of the public has melded more with Sabbath's gloomy sound.
Aside from the music, I think someone deciding to name their band Black Sabbath, and fly in the face of religious morals is stupid, and the people who do it are stupid. If there is a God, and I believe there is, you're offending the one who has your eternal fate in His hands just to make a few extra bucks. If you don't believe in God, you're still taking that chance.
And I in no way am condoning Jimmy Page's infatuation with Aleister Crowley by choosing them over Sabbath. That was the beginning of the end for them, as people close to them began to fall like flies in very mysterious circumstances. That should be something of a lesson.

It is your right to consider BS inferior to LZ, especially in a purely technical sense (which was quite true) - but please, you should try to get your facts right before you slam them from the point of view of content. Black Sabbath was the title of a movie (which wasn't about Satanism, if  I remember well), but most important of all, the members of the band wrote the song of the same title to warn AGAINST the dangers of meddling with the dark side. Page, instead, more than dabbled with the occult, though I am not really sure that had anything to do with the tragedies that befell the band later on.

As to not believing in God and flying in the face of religious morals, I wonder what should happen to those who cause the death of millions of people in order to make money...Unhappy
Novalis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 08:05
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I'm sorry. I think Black Sabbath sucks, and am shocked that they get the credit they get. I saw where some of Zeppelin's stuff was considered outdated, whereas Sabbath's wasn't. I attribute that to the fact that the world is a darker and angrier place than it was in the early 70's, and the mood of the public has melded more with Sabbath's gloomy sound.
Aside from the music, I think someone deciding to name their band Black Sabbath, and fly in the face of religious morals is stupid, and the people who do it are stupid. If there is a God, and I believe there is, you're offending the one who has your eternal fate in His hands just to make a few extra bucks. If you don't believe in God, you're still taking that chance.
And I in no way am condoning Jimmy Page's infatuation with Aleister Crowley by choosing them over Sabbath. That was the beginning of the end for them, as people close to them began to fall like flies in very mysterious circumstances. That should be something of a lesson.

It is your right to consider BS inferior to LZ, especially in a purely technical sense (which was quite true) - but please, you should try to get your facts right before you slam them from the point of view of content. Black Sabbath was the title of a movie (which wasn't about Satanism, if  I remember well), but most important of all, the members of the band wrote the song of the same title to warn AGAINST the dangers of meddling with the dark side. Page, instead, more than dabbled with the occult, though I am not really sure that had anything to do with the tragedies that befell the band later on.

As to not believing in God and flying in the face of religious morals, I wonder what should happen to those who cause the death of millions of people in order to make money...Unhappy
Read the lyrics to "After Forever". I'm pretty sure Sabbath weren't really Satanists, but I'm sure like Zep they dabbled.

Edited by Novalis - October 06 2007 at 08:05
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 09:07
Ozzy always said they were Hippies and never understood why people thought there were satanists thats why they wore crosses
efoman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 12:05
"Geezer Butler wrote the song Black Sabbath after he was given an occult book in Latin and Butler had a vision of a black hooded figure standing at the foot of his bed and told Osbourne about the vision. (from VH1 Black Sabbath Documentary)".

Here is a quote I found in Wikipedia referring to our overrated friends. i thought I remembered hearing somewhere that geezer Butler claimed this spirit vision he saw also basically dictated how some of the songs on the first album should go. But that's not something I can verify. But all in all I think the influence of Black Sabbath has made the world a worse place. All the hatred and darkness pumping through the veins of the metal heads of the world comes indirectly from Sabbath's influence on the start of the genre. This is a genre dedicated to thumbing you rnose in the face of God and boldly stating that you don't give a crap.
And even if they are just hamming up the image cause the kiddies are lapping it up, unfortunately the kiddies are taking it seriously, and they are making their fortune on the broken souls of the mixed up kids of the world. If this is something you groove on then more power to you. But you better hope the intellectually indefensible arguments of the atheists are true--that you really are as useless and worthless as a twig floating in a cess pool, and you have a nice sweet abyss of nothingness to look forward to--otherwise there will be Hell to pay. And the last time I looked pain, suffering, and hopelessness were bad things.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 12:25
Any God who would punish you for listening to the wrong music is just a bully. Are you a Christian ? You need to read your New Testament.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 12:34

"Geezer Butler wrote the song Black Sabbath after he was given an occult book in Latin and Butler had a vision of a black hooded figure standing at the foot of his bed and told Osbourne about the vision. (from VH1 Black Sabbath Documentary)".

Here is a quote I found in Wikipedia referring to our overrated friends. i thought I remembered hearing somewhere that geezer Butler claimed this spirit vision he saw also basically dictated how some of the songs on the first album should go. But that's not something I can verify. But all in all I think the influence of Black Sabbath has made the world a worse place. All the hatred and darkness pumping through the veins of the metal heads of the world comes indirectly from Sabbath's influence on the start of the genre. This is a genre dedicated to thumbing you rnose in the face of God and boldly stating that you don't give a crap.
And even if they are just hamming up the image cause the kiddies are lapping it up, unfortunately the kiddies are taking it seriously, and they are making their fortune on the broken souls of the mixed up kids of the world. If this is something you groove on then more power to you. But you better hope the intellectually indefensible arguments of the atheists are true--that you really are as useless and worthless as a twig floating in a cess pool, and you have a nice sweet abyss of nothingness to look forward to--otherwise there will be Hell to pay. And the last time I looked pain, suffering, and hopelessness were bad things.

Listen, you are entitled to your opinion, but not when you offend people who may have different opinions to yours. On these forums there are lots of atheists and agnostics, and they could very well take exception to your preaching - as any religious person would have the right to do if an atheist called him a deluded fool.

This is a music forum, and artists should be judged on the basis of musical input only. By all means say that BS are the worst band in the world, but please, leave the preaching of fire and brimstone outside this board.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 12:35
Ozzy's Suicide Solution is about as misunderstood as a song can be.  It is a song about how he is slowly killing himself with his alcohol addiction.  "Wine is fine, but whiskey's Quicker.  Suicide is slow with liquor".  I believe that to be the chorus.  It in no way tells the kids to go out and commit suicide and yet everytime an Ozzy fan teenager commits suicide it is Ozzy's fault.  Certainly not cheery lyrics, but there is actually a message warning about the perils of alcohol.

Edited by rushfan4 - October 06 2007 at 12:36
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 12:39

Listen, you are entitled to your opinion, but not when you offend people who may have different opinions to yours. On these forums there are lots of atheists and agnostics, and they could very well take exception to your preaching - as any religious person would have the right to do if an atheist called him a deluded fool.

This is a music forum, and artists should be judged on the basis of musical input only. By all means say that BS are the worst band in the world, but please, leave the preaching of fire and brimstone outside this board.

errrrr....

Amen sister.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 12:51
P.S.  I am by the way in no means implying that Ozzy should be included as a solo artist nor that Suicide Solution is a prog rock song. 

I do find it hard how difficult it is for people to separate the individual performers from their stage acts.  Obviously it is easier for some to realize that Noah Wyle is really not a doctor and probably could not perform any of the procedures that he performed as a doctor on ER.  At the very least I have heard Ozzy comment that he isn't the same person as his stage persona.  The same goes with a guy like Alice Cooper (again, not prog).  I am guessing that he has never actually participated in a decapitation involving non-dolls.  However, I think the jury might still be out on Marilyn Manson.LOL  And of course Peter Gabriel and some of those early Genesis lyrics.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

I was having a rather heated discussion with one of my friends in which it was said, with hearty use of caps lock and exclamation point,  that jimmy page was garbage, the same with zeppelin.  i then found myself defending one of the bands closest to my heart with zealous  and righteous rage. he later changed his opinions to a less harsh view of the Zep but continued to voice the supremacy of Black sabbath and tony iommi. he also said that zeppelin is one of the all time greats but page was definatley not one of the best guitarists, and that Iommi was better, "The Godfather" i believe he called him. Opinions? Zeppelin or Sabbath?  Iommi or Page? more influential?  Please elaborate too i would like to hear  more than just the fan boy yelling we were doing.  Oh and this is strictly out of the field of prog, has absolutley nothing to do with  how progressive each band is,  although if you value that then let it show in who you vote for. thanks!

Mike

*yawn* ... Both bands are obviously great - both record sales and musicians naming these artists as big influences prove that. Which one you prefer depends on your personal taste more than anything else.

Led Zeppelin for me btw ... when it comes to Iommi vs. Page I choose Page too.Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - October 06 2007 at 13:05
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 15:17
Both are good bands, I would rate Iommi over Page though.
Sabbath have the better bassist and guitarist, while Zep have the better drummer and vocalist
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 17:07
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

errrrr....

Amen sister.....

Religion and music should never be considered to be two closely connected aspects. Here's one fact from my life (in third person), observed from two different perspectives:

One of the happiest days in a life of a Prog nerd was when he met the musicians from the band Emperor.

One of the happiest days in a life of an orthodox Christian was when he shook hands with a satanist, a church arsonist and a homophobic murderer, in that order.

The second sentence takes a look at the situation from the religious perspective, the first simply explains why the day was so special. Now, which one makes more sense?
sig
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 17:24
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

P.S.  I am by the way in no means implying that Ozzy should be included as a solo artist

it's OK, imply away, nothing wrong with that.. I would never support Ozzy for inclusion in PA, but frankly Diary of a Madman is a fantastic progressive rock album which impresses me more each time I hear it.. and I've been listening to it for 25 years

efoman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

errrrr....

Amen sister.....

Religion and music should never be considered to be two closely connected aspects. Here's one fact from my life (in third person), observed from two different perspectives:

One of the happiest days in a life of a Prog nerd was when he met the musicians from the band Emperor.

One of the happiest days in a life of an orthodox Christian was when he shook hands with a satanist, a church arsonist and a homophobic murderer, in that order.

The second sentence takes a look at the situation from the religious perspective, the first simply explains why the day was so special. Now, which one makes more sense?

In my defense:
I don't cry about it when people tell me they don't believe in God. Why should an atheist be insulted by me saying I do, and that I believe atheism is intellectually indefensible? Do you tell the atheists to stay out of their opinions? I've noticed they are very proud to declare it on this site, so they must feel plenty of freedom regarding their beliefs.

Second, I preached no fire and brimstone, so I don't know what you're referring to. I just attempt to talk common sense. If you flood your senses with negativity and darkness, nothing good can come from it--and be you Atheist or Christian, Agnostic or Muslim, you don't need to spend your one short life on this Earth bathed in negative vibes.

As for the prog lover, Orthodox Christian dilemma--please try to see the reasoning of this before you dismiss it--if a person is that happy to shake a person like that's hand (I don't know who he is referring to) I would submit that music takes priority in your life over religion.  Not a judgment, but IMO, a sound observation.

But in Sabbath's defense, they are child's play compared to the negativity that was unleashed by subsequent bands. And I have to disagree with the notion that music should be divorced from the image, statements, persona, and lyrical projections of the artists involved. I always considered those things very very important. And apparently so did most people who liked Black Sabbath--because musically they suck.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 02:37
OK I get it ... um ... got anything nice to say about anybody ?    Something positive ... anybody at all.

Edited by Easy Money - October 07 2007 at 02:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 04:48

But all in all I think the influence of Black Sabbath has made the world a worse place. All the hatred and darkness pumping through the veins of the metal heads of the world comes indirectly from Sabbath's influence on the start of the genre. This is a genre dedicated to thumbing you rnose in the face of God and boldly stating that you don't give a crap.

Utter Nonsense.

First of all: Being a "metal head" does not mean that one has "hatred and darkness pumping through one's veins".

Secondly: Black Sabbath are not a band who preach hatred and darkness. I'm not a fan btw.

Thirdly: I'm not Christian, and I love listening to bands who deny Christianity ... listen to Celtic Frost - Monotheist if you want an example of this kind of music. But even listening to this music doesn't make me a bad person ... rather the reverse. I simply appreciate extreme views - in any direction as long as nobody gets hurt or crimes are promoted (which means that I for example won't listen to black metal bands whose members have been convicted of murder or arson).

So: Am I a "metal head"? yes. Am I an atheist? yes. Am I a bad person dominated by hatred and darkness? no.

Smile
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 13:52

Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

errrrr....

Amen sister.....

In my defense:
I don't cry about it when people tell me they don't believe in God. Why should an atheist be insulted by me saying I do, and that I believe atheism is intellectually indefensible? Do you tell the atheists to stay out of their opinions? I've noticed they are very proud to declare it on this site, so they must feel plenty of freedom regarding their beliefs.

Second, I preached no fire and brimstone, so I don't know what you're referring to. I just attempt to talk common sense. If you flood your senses with negativity and darkness, nothing good can come from it--and be you Atheist or Christian, Agnostic or Muslim, you don't need to spend your one short life on this Earth bathed in negative vibes.

As for the prog lover, Orthodox Christian dilemma--please try to see the reasoning of this before you dismiss it--if a person is that happy to shake a person like that's hand (I don't know who he is referring to) I would submit that music takes priority in your life over religion.  Not a judgment, but IMO, a sound observation.

But in Sabbath's defense, they are child's play compared to the negativity that was unleashed by subsequent bands. And I have to disagree with the notion that music should be divorced from the image, statements, persona, and lyrical projections of the artists involved. I always considered those things very very important. And apparently so did most people who liked Black Sabbath--because musically they suck.

You're off the point. You appreciate musicians for the art they create, as opposed to their beliefs, morals or religion.

Your post also contradicts what you just said, because the message conveys more negativity and hatred than the so-called "metalheads" who you are trying to depict in such an unpleasant way.
sig
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 14:20
^ I don't think you can completely separate the music from the artists. Apparently people differ in where they draw the line - for me it is racism, capital crimes and other things like that. For example I couldn't enjoy a piece of music when I knew that one of the artists was convicted of murder *and* his music is related to this behaviour. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 14:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I don't think you can completely separate the music from the artists. Apparently people differ in where they draw the line - for me it is racism, capital crimes and other things like that. For example I couldn't enjoy a piece of music when I knew that one of the artists was convicted of murder *and* his music is related to this behaviour. 

That's true for me too. I've never wanted to listen to any of those Norwegian bands, since I've read interviews with people like Varg Vikernes and the guy he killed, and their ideas are simply abhorrent to me, especially the whole matter of racism and white supremacy. Moreover, I am an art and history lover, and their wanton destruction of valuable Medieval buildings out of sheer fanaticism is something I just can't accept.

However, BS weren't even close to anything of the sort... They were a bunch of young guys from a deprived area of Birmingham who couldn't have cared less about the downright scary stuff those Norwegian bands were propounding in the Nineties.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>