Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUPGRADE to the FORUM engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 14:35
I meant "Active Topics".

Edited by Geck0 - January 07 2008 at 14:36
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 14:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I prefer the old look...  but whatever happens P L E A S E restore Latest Posts, I actually can't do my work for the site properly without it

YES

I really miss the last 10 posts list!!!!

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 14:58
How about "10 last replies on your threads" feature?
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 14:59
Can you help me here and clarify what the last 10 posts offers that the active topics does not (I never used the L10P)?

Thanks.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 15:10

In my case, from a general rule, when I would log into the site I would go to the active topics section to catch-up on posts in threads that I found interesting or new threads that have been made since my last visit.  Once I was caught up to date, I would then go to the front page of the forum to see the latest 10 posts.  At that point, as new posts were made, you could hover over to see if the comment was interesting and worth clicking into, or click on the post and it would take it to the latest post.  Dare I say, it was a nice tool for us anal retentive types who want to keep up with all of what is going on (you know, don't want to miss a thing).  Since the change, I have been able to accomplish this similarly within active topics, by just listing latest posts in the last 15 minutes.  It is not as convenient as the most recent posts had been, but it nearly accomplishes the same objective. 

paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 15:26

In my case, the last 10 post box was simply a good and easy way to have a very quick access to what was new in the forum. When I didn't find anything special there, I checked the several lounges for something interesting.

Anyway, this urge and insisting on demanding justification for a harmless and simple request such as having "the box" back is starting to get annoying (at least, to me). Sometimes I think it would be easier to find Michael Jackson admitted in the Prog Related section... Dead
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 17:08
Well Paolo, if we had the last 10 posts back, we wouldn't have to whine about it! Wink

As for me, well I liked the fact that the last 10 posts were shown on the front page of the forum, at the bottom.  Easily accessible and I didn't have to click on any links.

I also liked the fact I could roll the mouse cursor over the topic title and see the first part of the post, so I could decide if it would be interesting to me.

Yes the Active Topics is there and is very useful, but the other day I had to trawl through 9 pages just to find the latest posts (and many of them were old dead threads) that interested me.

So I see no reason why we cannot have both features, as they're both useful.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 17:09
It's not a case of demanding justification PB. M@x must have withdrawn it for a reason, so if we can demonstrate a continuing need, it will be more likely to happen.
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

^ hardcore, bro
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you are: a forum is for discussion of things, and those have little to nothing to discuss. As much as I dislike the Velvet Room, at least they are talking about something. The Britney vs Predator thread has no legitimate discussion opportunities whatsoever, and has absolutely nothing to do with music discussion. It's just a complete waste of space as a "joke". Although it's actually possible to talk about something in the other threads, they should be locked as being as pointless as the Dream Theater vs Yes vs Tool type threads. Nothing good ever comes of them, and what is it ever besides an internet dick-waving contest?
bizarro laplace View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 18:54
i agree

lol but i like the compromise I read a few pages back - if the active topics tracker returns, let's restrict it to "on-topic" forums

# for band in doom:
# if indiekids(band): addband(band, "Post Metal")
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 18:57
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I can't see that one, anyone else finding this?

Add me to that list. Doesn't happen all the time...but it does happen.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 22:29
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Can you help me here and clarify what the last 10 posts offers that the active topics does not (I never used the L10P)?

Thanks.

Easy: (pun intended, LOL)

If you were in the middle of something, you want speed. If you have made a comment on any thread and just want to check PA very quickly to see about that particular comment, the 10 last posts appeared WITHOUT the need of extra mouse clicks....

TIME

Also, for some of us, we used to log in, not knowing where to go, and we'd see an interesting thing in the last 10 posts... and we'd dive into it...

Now... we have to waste more time with a slow-moving website that, due to the chagnes in look, is more confusing that it was...and we don't have the last 10 posts....

Also, the "newest post" option was good... It's not the same as the infamous "yellow triangle"... When you selected the "newest post first" format, it changed the format for EVERY thread you visited....

Good old times...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 22:31
Originally posted by paolo.beenees paolo.beenees wrote:

Listen, I wrote that comment "per absurdo", just to point out to Micky that removing the 10-most-recent-post box wouldn't prevent people to start silly discussions. I find that all this noise about "the box" is really pointless: if many devoted members want it back, just let it return! If you find it useless, just don't read it.

won't prevent them Paolo.. man alive.. I know that LOL.. that is very true...

removing the 10 most recent post box  won't prevent silly... or downright stupid topics from being created... won't prevent those who enjoy them from using the 'active topics' to find them. 

and will not run off those who are surfing the main page.. considering whether to join this site.. and see ..put right in their faces that some of the things being discussed here.. are ...simply silly. There is nothing nothing wrong with them. I've been known to partake in them myself hahhaha.  No one is calling for the off topic sections to be removed... but is that what we want perspective members to the site to see front and center when they come here. If you want professional mature... serious members who know prog.... present a serious.. professional site to them.  Let them find latter on that we all don't have sticks up our asses.  You only get one chance to make a good first impresssion.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 22:40
LETS DO THIS!Thumbs%20Up

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 22:57
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

LETS DO THIS!Thumbs%20Up

do what? LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 21:52
I'm seeing another problem that may be related to the problem I mentioned earlier.  Occasionally in some threads, the writing appears to go off the normal page width.  The width of the post "box" (not sure what else to call it) is much wider than it should be.  Here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45149

I think I saw this occur one other time, but I don't recall the thread in which I saw the problem.

Does anyone else see this?  I think only one or two people said they saw the problem I previously mentioned. 
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 22:23
It happens to me too.  The words don't seem to wrap properly and if I carry on writing as I am now, eventually the words will likely overlap... but they may not, hence why I'm waffling, to see if it does do that or not...

But it is a problem indeed.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 13:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LETS DO THIS!Thumbs%20Up

do what? LOL

Obviously, raise your thumb while your face looks yellow...Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 18:16
Aaaagh! The Email Notification Subject line has just become 6 characters longer with the insertion of the slightly redundant word "Music " in the text - as has the "From: " field. On a 1024px width screen using Outlook it's now completely useless as the actual topic subject is hidden when Outlook limits the subject column width.

For example the subject line for notifications for this particular thread is now 100 characters long and actually truncates the ony piece of information that varies from email to email in the text:

"Progressive Rock Music Forum by Progarchives.com Topic Reply Notification : UPGRADE to the FORUM eng"

On my laptop Outlook cuts the field off at :

"Progressive Rock Music Forum by Progarchives.com Topic Reply Noti"

unless I full-screen the window - which I don't need to do for anyother emails and don't want to do just for PA emails.

Most of that is redundant - I know it's from Progressive Rock Music Forum because that's what the email is about; I know it from Progarchives.com because that's who the email is from!

what's wrong with just:

"Progarchives Topic Notification: UPGRADE to the FORUM engine"

ps: I know I'm the only person whining about this, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to read the email subject line.
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 18:48
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LETS DO THIS!Thumbs%20Up

do what? LOL

Obviously, raise your thumb while your face looks yellow...Tongue

huh? LOL do what? LOLLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>