Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeurosis - Souls At Zero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neurosis - Souls At Zero
    Posted: January 07 2008 at 15:48
NEUROSIS - Souls At Zero

Yes, by now Neurosis are well known and other bands seem to have taken the hearts of Sludge/atmospheric metal fans, but all those owe a great debt to Neurosis.
It is with Souls At Zero that the band found their sound, as it would appear and progress in later albums. A fantastic piece of angry, sludgy and muddy metal, atmosphere of rage and despair, a monument to this style.

Regardless of your favourite album by the band, this album should be looked at not only for its musical merit but also in its historical context and for its contribution to what came later.

Here is the first review on PA for this album:

Souls At Zero

Studio Album

Review | Album details | All reviews | Buy Music
Review by Asphalt (liviu gajora)
Posted 3:38:42 PM EST, 1/7/2008

4%20stars Wow, I simply cannot believe there is no review yet for this seminal sludge/post-metal piece of superbly crafted music.

Neurosis have been and - by the sound of their latest effort, Given To The Rising - still are HEAVY in a way few other bands manage to be. They may not be fast or quirky, but they prove that heaviness is one an entirely different level than those features. Blending dialog samples, quiet and eerie instrumental passages and skull-numbing heavy riffs and rhythms, they are the inventors of the crushing riffs concept. The voice - while not very proggy for some - fits perfectly with the rest of the harsh, abrasive sounds. The short interludes and acoustic brakes serve only to set the stage for the storm that follows (pun intended).

Like spiders - mean, ugly, big spiders - they spread a web of powerful and mesmerizing textures. Forget Isis, Pelican or any other post metal band. Those guys only wish to be like Neurosis when they grow up. From the unsettling voices in the beginning of the album, through the unforgettable riff of the title-track and the fast-paced menacing pummeling of The Web up to the slow-building and epic flowing Takeahnase, all the tracks, all the moments on every track are recommended. Highlights? It's one huge highlight, you can't really miss it.

One question left to answer. That may refer to how this music qualifies as an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Rather simple actually. First of all, it's defining for a genre - well, more like a subgenre, but regardless - both historically and from the point of view of quality. Secondly, it truly combines moods and visions of music and it expands familiar sounds into new and strange acoustical experiences. Just listen to Sterile Vision if you need to be convinced. Last but not least, you need a Neurosis album in your collection (if only to complete the missing link between Meshuggah and Explosions In The Sky) and this is the one to have.

1. To Crawl Under One's Skin 7:51
2. Souls At Zero 9:18
3. Zero 1:41
4. Flight 4:07
5. The Web 4:55
6. Sterile Vision 6:20
7. A Chronology For Survival 9:34
8. Stripped 8:01
9. Takeahnase 7:56
10. Empty 1:36

Line-up/Musicians

Scott Kelly / guitars, vocals
Steve Von Till / guitars, vocals
Dave Edwardson / bass
Simon McIlroy / keyboards
Jason Roeder / drums

NEUROSIS biography

Neurosis is an American progressive metal band that was formed in the late 1980s. First starting of as a hardcore band, which is to be heard on the “Pain of Mind” debut album, they gradually incorporated a more progressive approach in their compositions as the years passed by.

The music created by this California-based five piece is one of a kind. A typical aspect of their music is the experimentation with different musical styles. It seems that the band’s main goal is to create depressing atmospheric metal, complete with raw, tortured-sounding vocals. Heavy metal pieces with dense riffing and impressive drumming are contrasted with sections that only exist of samples and slow and gentle instrumentation. All band members have a role of significant importance within the compositions, but it is the vocals that really make a difference.
Their music is widely considered to be so-called “sludge metal,” a form of heavy metal that is regarded to be a fusion between doom metal and hardcore, but because of their experimentation with lengthy atmospheric pieces, they seem to have progressed beyond the boundaries of that genre.

Over the years the band gradually received the recognition they deserved and they were seen as an icon by quite a few bands that later would step in their shoes: bands such as for instance ISIS and PELICAN. There are quite a few people out there who happen to like all three bands and they call it “Neurisican,” a combination of the three band names.

Although one might consider Neurosis to be an acquired taste, they are a unique band within the progressive metal scene. For those who are not yet familiar with the band I would recommend them to listen to the album “Eye of every Storm,” which was released in 2004.

http://www.neurosis.com/    Info from BNR Metal.com (www.bnrmetal.com)

Neurosis is truly one of the most unique bands in extreme music today. Rising from hardcore roots in the Bay Area in the late eighties (the debut Pain Of Mind is very much a hardcore album), the first signs of the future sound of the band began to take shape on parts of The Word As Law, and by the time of Souls Of Zero (a masterpiece, one of the best albums of the nineties), their transformation into something special was complete. Describing their sound to the uninitiated is a difficult task -- they blend tortured vocals, tribal/rhythmic drumming, slow, dense riffing, and sampling effects to create bleak landscapes of sonic noise. Personal favorites are the aforementioned Souls At Zero and Enemy Of The Sun (arguably more metallic than the later material), with the newer A Sun That Never Sets also an excellent release. The live shows are quite an experience as well, with intense visual effects that complement the music. They've been virtually in a musical field all to themselves, though in recent times a few bands have emerged with clear Neurosis influences (two fine examples are Cult Of Luna and Isis). A highly talented and recommended band.

Edited by avestin - January 07 2008 at 16:07
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 16:03
Absolutely awesome band Avestin. I was so happy to see them included in the archives.

Unfortunately I would love to review all of their albums...but my policy is that I have to be able to name any song upon hearing, which sadly I cannot due just yet with these guys. Maybe I'll go on a spree.

Insightful lyrics, atmospheric, truly a great band to check out.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 19:57
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 20:34
I love love LOVE this album.  It and Through Silver In Blood are my favorites by this excellent band.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 20:37
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

I love love LOVE this album. 

Hehe, makes two of us. Glad to meet another enthusiast of this album. Most Neurosis fans I meet prefer the following albums.

superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 04:38
my personal fav is Eye OF Every Storm but the artistic significance of this album cannot be over-emphasised!!!

this is ground zero for post-metal!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply