Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Possibly the most complicated thing ive ever heard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossibly the most complicated thing ive ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 14:59
None of these bands know much  about music though. Put the sheet music for say, Rodrigo`s Concierto d`Aranjuez in fromt of them and they would be lost.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 15:32
Maybe.

Not that it matters much, anyway (see people like Paco De Lucia, who can't/couldn't read sheet music).

Edited by Visitor13 - January 16 2008 at 15:33
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 15:57
I can't help but feel good about the advent of the complex (or pseudo-complex, if you want) hardcore music. At long last the kids at my high school are moving beyond Blink 182...

It ain't perfect, but it's a lot less annoying. And while some of those bands might be misleading people when they label themselves "progressive", that label could lead kids to real progressive rock.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 15:59
That wasn`t my point. My point was these guys  don`t know much about melody, dynamics, harmony, rhythm etc. etc. Let`s just play fast with lots of starts and stops then we`ll sound like musical geniuses to all the 12 year olds. 
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 16:01
OK...that video...was a bit of a surprise.

Yuck.

On the other hand, I find this video awe-inspiring (not in terms of composition, before you post about how they have no understanding of musical theory...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

Edited by Hirgwath - January 16 2008 at 16:05

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 16:05
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

That wasn`t my point. My point was these guys  don`t know much about melody, dynamics, harmony, rhythm etc. etc. Let`s just play fast with lots of starts and stops then we`ll sound like musical geniuses to all the 12 year olds. 

Ah, yes. Fair point.
7/8_owns_4/4 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 16:22
Originally posted by Hirgwath Hirgwath wrote:

OK...that video...was a bit of a surprise.

Yuck.

On the other hand, I find this video awe-inspiring (not in terms of composition, before you post about how they have no understanding of musical theory...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

Talk about damn good music. DEP is one of the best tech hardcore bands out there.

Perhaps I should have realized before I registered on this forums that this is more of the Genesis, Rush type progressive crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Get a 7 string or get out.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 16:26
Oh yeah. DEP are wicked.

Though I think The Locust are even more impressive.

Edited by Visitor13 - January 16 2008 at 16:29
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 20:18
I didn't think it was that unmusical. Did you guys actually listen to the Pi song, or did you just listen to the first on the list, because the Pi song had no vocals. The beginning guitar thing was pretty well done. And the Pi part is amazing. You guys say it isn't that complicated, but do you realize that to play this song you need to memorize the first 71 digits of Pi? Let me break down the Pi part, since the article does a poor job clarifying. It plays a number by playing a group of eight notes, and seperates them by a dotted eighth rest. so, the riff starts like (counted in 16ths) ( 1-1-1--1--1-1-1-1--1--1-1-1-1-1--), see? 3.1415 is what is in the parenthesis. Then, over that, the drummer plays a steady 4/4 pattern with the hi-hat, snare, and china cymbal. 

Is this the most complex song ever? No. It is basically a sequence of random numbers, just like pi. Hard to play? Heck yeah!
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 22:18
well that was boring.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 23:01
Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

I didn't think it was that unmusical. Did you guys actually listen to the Pi song, or did you just listen to the first on the list, because the Pi song had no vocals. The beginning guitar thing was pretty well done. And the Pi part is amazing. You guys say it isn't that complicated, but do you realize that to play this song you need to memorize the first 71 digits of Pi? Let me break down the Pi part, since the article does a poor job clarifying. It plays a number by playing a group of eight notes, and seperates them by a dotted eighth rest. so, the riff starts like (counted in 16ths) ( 1-1-1--1--1-1-1-1--1--1-1-1-1-1--), see? 3.1415 is what is in the parenthesis.�Then,�over�that,�the�drummer�plays�a�steady�4/4�pattern�with�the�hi-hat,�snare,�and�china�cymbal.�

Is this the most complex song ever? No. It is basically a sequence of random numbers, just like pi. Hard to play? Heck yeah!

I hadn't noticed that, but that's cool... mostly because it's extremely nerdy.  I love mathematical patterns in music... so that's a neat idea.  The rest of their material however... not so much.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 23:12
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

I didn't think it was that unmusical. Did you guys actually listen to the Pi song, or did you just listen to the first on the list, because the Pi song had no vocals. The beginning guitar thing was pretty well done. And the Pi part is amazing. You guys say it isn't that complicated, but do you realize that to play this song you need to memorize the first 71 digits of Pi? Let me break down the Pi part, since the article does a poor job clarifying. It plays a number by playing a group of eight notes, and seperates them by a dotted eighth rest. so, the riff starts like (counted in 16ths) ( 1-1-1--1--1-1-1-1--1--1-1-1-1-1--), see? 3.1415 is what is in the parenthesis.�Then,�over�that,�the�drummer�plays�a�steady�4/4�pattern�with�the�hi-hat,�snare,�and�china�cymbal.�

I hadn't noticed that, but that's cool... mostly because it's extremely nerdy.  I love mathematical patterns in music... so that's a neat idea.  The rest of their material however... not so much.

Yeah, I didn't even listen to their other stuff. I'll trust the opinion of others for now...
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 00:26

It would be good if someone could actually give us a good definition of complicated, so we can make better judgement of the songs complexity.

Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 00:34
Rhythmic complexity, in this case. Or more just nerdinessTongue
Jshutt64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 00:34
Well...really and truly, complexity and "complicated" are both relative terms.

This kind of music is void of melody, contrast, and typical things that make music, well....music. The rhythmic patterns are what make it complex in this instance.

It's really not that musical, in my opinon. Impressive, yes. But musical? No.

And yes, it's complex in one sense of the term. But there's more to music than just bashing one note over some crazy ass time signature.

That being said, the ability to stay together on pieces like this is truly remarkable.
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 09:54
Listen to a Peter Brotzmann's record (machine gun considered his best one) and you 'll have to change your perception of Complexity Tongue

Those Pseudo-complex (as mentioned above) bands are just 'bad-ass' boys trying to emulate complexity with fancy tricks.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 11:15
Eh, I don't know. Somehow I think 'complex' is the wrong word to describe music played by people 
like Brotzmann. Extremely 'dense' maybe, but 'complex'?

I love Brotzmann, BTW, but I think 'complex' is more suitable for composers from the (duh) New Complexity
'movement', like Brian Ferneyhough or James Dillon; also for people like Stockhausen, Elliott Carter and
even the already mentioned Stravinsky.   

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 13:54
f ing brilliant! I think that's the best bit of music, certainly the most original piece of music I've ever heard in my life. I really love vocals like that. All that yelling about death is so moving..
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 14:15
DT has made more complex songs that that!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 14:32
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

None of these bands know much  about music though. Put the sheet music for say, Rodrigo`s Concierto d`Aranjuez in fromt of them and they would be lost.

"Starts and stops" ... doesn't sound like you're a musician either. Luckily I'm a musician myself so you won't succeed poisoning me against these bands.Tongue

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - January 18 2008 at 17:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>