Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 43>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anime appreciation thread~!
    Posted: January 19 2008 at 21:43
Let's discuss the wonderful world of japanese animation. Although this is an "appreciation" thread, you can still come in here to voice critical opinions of the shows (if not the viewers!) =)

I'll go first; mostly I love the romantic side of things, both happy and sad. Fruits Basket and Clannad are my current favourites but I have just as many pleasures rooted in the girlier shows. Next, I can't resist certain comedies, although it looks like I've only just begun to adventure here and am most familiar with the ones everyone should know - Azumanga Daioh and FLCL. Less laplace-like, I can be in the mood for horror or introspective, science-fiction-type drama and from here I'd recommend Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and When Cicadas Cry (which straddles the line between horror and romantic comedy so I love it all the more.) As in music, I stay away from the more action-oriented brands. ;)

I'm only a journeything in the world of anime so if anyone more immersed has any recommendations for me, I'd love to hear them. =)

(I'm sorry if there was a previous anime thread; I tried to search for them but the server simply won't behave.)
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyitsthatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 23:02
FLCL

/thread

or not

what are people's thoughts on Akira? I've heard good things about it....I saw a short part of it on a Chinese bootleg (you read right, Chinese) so the language was doubly b*****dized to where it made no sense (there was a line like "YOU ARE ANGRY CAR NOW" or along those lines)

Edited by heyitsthatguy - January 19 2008 at 23:06

horse feathers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horse feathers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 23:42
I love FLCL (can't you tell?).

Other fav anime include Cowboy Bebop, Desert Punk, GTO, Fushigi Yugi etc etc.....and Miyazaki's films.

I love almost any manga.  I'm not really into vampire/goth stuff though.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 08:06
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

what are people's thoughts on Akira? I've heard good things about it... I saw a short part of it on a Chinese bootleg (you read right, Chinese) so the language was doubly b*****dized to where it made no sense (there was a line like "YOU ARE ANGRY CAR NOW" or along those lines)

I liked Akira and I remember that the plot is followable from the action alone other than during a few surreal moments. I certainly prefer it to most live action thrillers. =)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 10:55
While I like some comics, somehow anime is not for me. The contrast between the at times violent plot and the childlike faces is too much for me. Even if there is no violent plot I simply can't get over these faces.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 13:58
Count me in as another FLCL fan (well it's so hard not to be!). I'm also a big fan of Hellsing (though the manga is inifitely better than either of the anime adaptations, IMHO), Keroro Gunso (a.k.a. Sgt. Frog in the west) and Cowboy Bebop.

For me, and I imagine a lot of people, anime is the perfect thing to switch off your brain to. I'm not a big fan of anime which tries too hard to be clever, profound or in any way important. I gave Ergo Proxy a go the other day and was NOT impressed. Yes, it looked pretty, but it just wasn't worth the effort! Give me a couple of robots pointlessly smashing the hell out of each other and some crazy-haired girls with massive guns any day!
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 16:38
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

For me, and I imagine a lot of people, anime is the perfect thing to switch off your brain to. I'm not a big fan of anime which tries too hard to be clever, profound or in any way important. I gave Ergo Proxy a go the other day and was NOT impressed. Yes, it looked pretty, but it just wasn't worth the effort! Give me a couple of robots pointlessly smashing the hell out of each other and some crazy-haired girls with massive guns any day!

Really? I prefer anime that makes me cry. =)

I gave up after the third episodes of Ergo Proxy and of Dennou Coil because they were too self-consciously clever and gimmicky. It's a shame.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moreitsythanyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 17:08
Pokemon and Shin Chan. Other than that, just no. The Boondocks don't count.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 21:08
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

what are people's thoughts on Akira? I've heard good things about it... I saw a short part of it on a Chinese bootleg (you read right, Chinese) so the language was doubly b*****dized to where it made no sense (there was a line like "YOU ARE ANGRY CAR NOW" or along those lines)

I liked Akira and I remember that the plot is followable from the action alone other than during a few surreal moments. I certainly prefer it to most live action thrillers. =)

Akira's excellent. It took two views and a wikipedia check to get what happened, but it's great nonetheless. Brilliant animation.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 00:27
Not really the mode of entertainment that excites me too much. Last year, our foreign film cinema screened an Anime festival which spanned the whole week. I brought tickets for the week intrigue by the whole phenomenon which my ex-gf had been so tied up in - hoping to be impressed. Overall I was quite disappointed, but found Inosensu: Kokaku Kidotai to have a lasting impression. From memory this was the a sequel in the Ghost in the Shell series. So far I have failed to pursue the earlier incarnations of the show; besides the first movie I believe there was a TV series.

Next time I have a bout of insomnia I will follow up some of the recommendation within this thread.    
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyitsthatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 00:42
the problem people have with it is that the fans usually put it on a higher pedestal than other forms of art simply because it's anime, rather than just another story telling medium. The bigger problem is that many shows as of late seem to believe this as well and make me want to die
shows that follow this:
Naruto
Yugioh
Inuyasha

shows that are kiiinda like this but hilarious so its forgivable
Pokemon
Dragonball Z

I'd have to say the one I enjoyed thoroughly all the way through was Miyazaki's "Spirited Away". It was hard to follow, but didn't follow all too many cliches and was a trip

Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hirgwath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 01:32
My icon is a symbol from Neon Genesis Evangelion...but I would have to say Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime series. GiTS comes in third, after NGE.

I don't think anything beats Cowboy Bebop in terms of style, characters, or soundtrack, though NGE has a really wild plot.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forgotten Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

While I like some comics, somehow anime is not for me. The contrast between the at times violent plot and the childlike faces is too much for me. Even if there is no violent plot I simply can't get over these faces.

There is a fair amount of variation in anime character design.

Monster

Akagi

Cowboy Bebop

Anyway, I'm a big anime fan. My favourite shows are, in rough order:

1. Azumanga Daioh
2.�Cowboy�Bebop
3. Death Note
4. Code Geass: The Lelouch Rebellion
5. Monster
6. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
7.�Akagi
8. Elfen Lied
9. Haibane Renmei
10.�GANTZ

Or�something�like�that.

And films:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. 5 Centimeters Per Second
3. Grave of the Fireflies
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
6.�Perfect�Blue
7. Princess Mononoke
8. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
9. Ghost in the Shell
10. Spirited Away

Edited by Forgotten Son - January 22 2008 at 17:56
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 07:00
Akira is a great Anime, but if you even liked that the slightest bit, you HAVE to read the Manga. It is many times better, it is absolutely stunning. Great plot, great dreawing, the anime is literally about.. 10% of the Manga storyline. I highly recommend it.

I also love most of Studio Ghibli's works. Obviously all the classic Miyazaki, but also "Whisper of the heart" and "Grave of the Fireflies". Spirited away and Mononoke Hime are my favourites, though.

Right now i'm watching "Silver Fang", and i think i have legend of the overfiend somewhere aroung here... Wink (a friend burned it to me. He's totally into tentacle hentai)

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 12:51
I wonder if anyone could recommend a starting point to a total newcomer - or to someone who has become convinced that anime is not for them without actually watching any? All we have so far are lists. ;)
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 17:12
Well... it all rather depends on what you like in the way of films, books, TV, etc. Anime boasts as broad a range of genres as any other medium, albeit with certain stylistic codes of its own (every single one of which can and has been broken in certain cases!).

Mind you, you can NEVER go wrong with the films of Miyazaki. I dare anyone with a human heart to watch Spirited Away and not be utterly enthralled.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 17:47
If you like action and samurai, i highly recommend the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's.
If you like action and post-apocalypse, then Akira (preferably the manga).
If you like epic and touching, watch anything by Miyazaki.
If you like touching and mundane, then there are tons of animes about kids crying you can be sad with.
If you like funny and cool, then cowboy bebop is your best bet.
If you like 12 year old ninjas and nunchuks with the power to fry the entire planet, try Naruto.
If you don't like anime at all, get "Ghost world" by Daniel Clowes.

So there are a lot of options for you, Laplace, however.. if you like purple-haired girls getting their orifices stuffed with slimy tentacles from monsters with a thousand arms or flying bat-like monsters shooting laser with their joysticks whilst parting people in two or less pieces before coitus whilst the Nazis are trying to take over the world with help from their giant "death rape machine" then... there's really only "Legend of the overfiend.

Edited by Evans - January 22 2008 at 17:47

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Kim Ankara View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Ankara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 07:35
Originally posted by Hirgwath Hirgwath wrote:

I don't think anything beats Cowboy Bebop in terms of style, characters, or soundtrack

Clap

My favourite, followed by Trigun. Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favourite movies.

Interestingly, BGC 2040 have a few episodes named after prog albums. Big%20smile

Edited by Kim Ankara - January 23 2008 at 07:36

"I'm a dinosaur" - Adrian Belew

"I am a camera" - Trevor Horn

"I am yourself" - Keith Emerson
EnglishAssassin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnglishAssassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 12:56
I'm only a newcomer to anime - though I'm an avid reader of comics - but I finally got around last week to watching Princess Mononoke, primarily for the Neil Gaiman connection, and would heartily second the recommendation for that; it's simply a wonderful film.  I mean to try some of the other Studio Ghibli stuff like Spirited Away, but could anybody recommend something else in the same style?
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 13:00
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

If you like action and samurai, i highly recommend the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's.
If you like action and post-apocalypse, then Akira (preferably the manga).
If you like epic and touching, watch anything by Miyazaki.
If you like touching and mundane, then there are tons of animes about kids crying you can be sad with.
If you like funny and cool, then cowboy bebop is your best bet.
If you like 12 year old ninjas and nunchuks with the power to fry the entire planet, try Naruto.
If you don't like anime at all, get "Ghost world" by Daniel Clowes.

So there are a lot of options for you, Laplace, however.. if you like purple-haired girls getting their orifices stuffed with slimy tentacles from monsters with a thousand arms or flying bat-like monsters shooting laser with their joysticks whilst parting people in two or less pieces before coitus whilst the Nazis are trying to take over the world with help from their giant "death rape machine" then... there's really only "Legend of the overfiend.

Oh hmm, I know most of those. I see that non-action anime isn't getting much appreciation so far. ;P

I haven't seen Legend of the Overfiend but I've seen Inma Seiden and that seemed to be in a similar vein.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 43>