Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 20:30
Really enjoying Kurenai.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 09:13
Currently going through Eureka 7, can't figure out why it's so highly praised, I'll give it a few more episodes to see if a story actually develops.

Also a few episodes into Hellsing Ultimate, I'd already watched the first 4 eps a few years ago but since it's now been completed I'll go through it from the start again. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 10:45
E7 is bleh.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 20:46
Really, really liked Kure-nai. A phenomenal series to bring me back into the world of anime.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 21:49
What's it about/like?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 22:20
Originally posted by MAL MAL wrote:

He's only a teenager, but Kurenai Shinkurou is already both a master of an arcane martial art and an experienced professional mediator with a long track record of resolving disputes. Not bad for someone who's just sixteen and still in school, but everyone has their limits and Kurenai may have met his when his boss and role model, Benika, responds to his request for a more challenging assignment by giving him the task of protecting young Murasaki Kuhoin. Never mind that she's only seven, the fact that the people Kurenai's supposed to protect her from are her own very rich and extremely powerful family is guaranteed to take this job into the danger zone. Now the heat is on and Kurenai's scrambling to put out as many fires as he can, even as the secrets surrounding his young charge bring everything else to a flashpoint.
It's generally something of a drama (there is some action, but it's generally only used when it has some sort of dramatic relevance). The characters are the focus here. Very detailed social interactions, subversion of archetypal expectations, gorgeous and detailed visuals, well-handled themes, and a generally relatable, engaging series. 

Edited by Polymorphia - April 14 2014 at 22:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 19:14
New season of Mushishi is really good so far. It's even more laid-back and meditative, if you can believe it, but focuses a lot more on character enough to keep it interesting.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 19:33
I am excited about new Mushishi but I'll probably wait until the season is over to watch it so I don't have to wait for new episodes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 20:28
I'm only three episodes in so I think I'll catch the brunt of that soon.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 22:44
Also, I would really miss the English VA for Ginko, his voice was amazing for the character, imo
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 22:48
I just finished Soul Eater. I doubt anyone on here has seen it because it is a typical Shonen. I ended up giving it a 7/10 on MAL. 

I really, really loved most of the characters in this show. Their personalities and just sheer likability is the meat of SL and the real reason i could keep watching it. Characters like Stein, Lord Death, Death the Kid, Maka, Spirit... etc, etc are just awesome. 

The plot has a decent premise but gets a little bleh here and there in execution. I'm sure it's better than the Death Scythe plot they introduced the series with... glad they switched LOL 

Animation was okay. It fit the style of the show perfectly and had some cool moments, but the fight scenes in this show are really lackluster and don't really have any substance. 

So yea. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 06:29
I've watched the first few episodes before, I didn't like the characters and the art style really grated on me so I wasn't going to watch ~100 episodes of it.

Really looking forward to Gundam Unicorn Ep 7 coming out in about 3 weeks, 4 years is a long time for this OVA to run.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 09:33
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Also, I would really miss the English VA for Ginko, his voice was amazing for the character, imo
Yeah, the Japanese VA gives Ginko more of a spiky edge. It's different. I don't know if I could say it's better or worse. The English VA was fantastic though and I miss hearing him in the new episodes a bit.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 18:51
I took a long break fron Shin Sekai Yori for Soul Eater, and after finishing Episode 10 my faith in this anime was restored. I loved this episode and thought it was perfectly executed. Music, emotion, animation, story, themes etc. All parts were well done. I feel like further down the road i'll end up rewatching everything. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 23:09
Probably would have liked ep 10 better if I took a break too, but the first part of it had me so unconvinced that while I even acknowledged that the show was probably getting better, I wasn't feeling any more attached to it. I'll probably pick it back up sometime at a later date, though.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 07:47
I've been recently watching "Polar Bear Cafe" which I think is a really funny anime.
Also been enjoying "Folktales From Japan" as well.
However I saw the dub of Garzey's Wing which is the most lol bad dub I've ever heard. LOL
This is an example of what's wrong with the dub.

Edited by Jonathan - May 01 2014 at 10:46
"Do not do to others as you don't want done to yourself."- Confucius
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 08:12
^You should hear some of the Singapore dubs.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 11:15
I've seen a little bit of Polar Bear Cafe and found it really funny/charming.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 22:09
I broke down and started watching the new season of Mushishi, it's as amazing as ever :')
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 22:19
Yea Tony, im really digging Shin Sekai Yori again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 43>