Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 21:46
Welp, my Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum box set showed up in the mail today, so I can finally see what the fuss is all about.  I have the movies on the way, too, so I'll be able to see the "better" ending that I've heard about.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 05:52
The End of Evangelion is a much better ending to the series and makes more sense than episode 26 does, well worth getting. The 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo will finally be out on Blu-Ray next February/March, took Funimation long enough they spent over a year redoing the dub and since I couldn't care less for the dub as I watch subs, thats a wasted year IMO. No clue when 4.0 will be out though, Hideaki Anno is currently busy working on Toho's new Godzilla movie. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 17:47
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

My airing shows will be ending soon, and i've been really pleased with them:

Everything Becomes F
Concrete Revolution
Seraph of the End
Gundams: Iron-Blooded Orhpans

haven't watched any of those, but my main watching schedule is like this:

One Punch Man
Mr. Osomatsu
A Corpse Is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet
Noragami Aragato (caught up to)

not necessarily in any order, persay

A really liked Corpse's conceptafter i watched epi1, but my schedule was too much so i saved it for later.

Noragami was bad imo so didnt want to continue. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 19:31
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

The End of Evangelion is a much better ending to the series and makes more sense than episode 26 does, well worth getting. The 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo will finally be out on Blu-Ray next February/March, took Funimation long enough they spent over a year redoing the dub and since I couldn't care less for the dub as I watch subs, thats a wasted year IMO. No clue when 4.0 will be out though, Hideaki Anno is currently busy working on Toho's new Godzilla movie. 
I really need to watch that second End of Evangelion movie.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 21:41

I heard that Death & Rebirth was pretty pointless, but I found a copy of the box set that has both that and End, so I just got that.  After I'm done with those, I'll probably pick up the newer releases.  I wanted to see the original first, though.

Just finished Code Geass R2 and wow, what an ending.  I thought towards the end that Lelouch was going down the same path as Light from Death Note.  Basically, just power hungry and pretty much forgetting why they both started out doing what they did, but the last 5 minutes completely erased that thought. Clap

Edited by MillsLayne - December 13 2015 at 23:02
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 05:39
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

I heard that Death & Rebirth was pretty pointless, but I found a copy of the box set that has both that and End, so I just got that.  After I'm done with those, I'll probably pick up the newer releases.  I wanted to see the original first, though.

Just finished Code Geass R2 and wow, what an ending.  I thought towards the end that Lelouch was going down the same path as Light from Death Note.  Basically, just power hungry and pretty much forgetting why they both started out doing what they did, but the last 5 minutes completely erased that thought. Clap

I think I've seen Death and Rebirth but I can't remember, End of Evangelion does such a good job rounding out the series that I've never had the inclination to go back and look for D&R. Probably a good idea to start with the original series, the first film is almost just a straight up retelling of the first 6 or so episodes of the anime without much change, but the second film on starts changing things quite a bit.

Code Geass is up there with Steins;Gate as my two favourite anime series and that ending has a lot to do with it. Are you going to watch the Akito the Exiled OVA's, set between the first and second seasons? I thought the first two episodes where really good but the much delayed third episode was pretty bad IMO and I haven't even bothered to look for a release date on the 4th eps DVD/Blu-Ray.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 16:44
Probably not, only because I have so many series and movies that I recently bought that I'm itching to get to.  Maybe once I'm all caught up I might check them out.  Are they available with English dubs or just subs?

Edited by MillsLayne - December 14 2015 at 18:39
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 18:07
Dubbed, at least the first two so far anyway.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 03:48
So, I'm watching Freedom Project and came across a very random, but awesome, reference to my boys in Rush.  Apparently, they were astronauts before the band and would explain a lot of their lyrics in the 70's. LOL

Edited by MillsLayne - December 17 2015 at 03:49
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 04:29

So, I'm watching Freedom Project and came across a very random, but awesome, reference to my boys in Rush.  Apparently, they were astronauts before the band and would explain a lot of their lyrics in the 70's. LOL

Woah, interesting stuff!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 04:39
^^ Awesome indeed Thumbs Up
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 17:50

WOOOOOHOOOOO PROG REPRESENTING!!!!!!!!!!
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 02:09

Code Geass is up there with Steins;Gate as my two favourite anime series and that ending has a lot to do with it.
The ending of CG is what made the series worth watching to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 14:26

Everything Becomes F
Concrete Revolution
Seraph of the End

One Punch Man
Mr. Osomatsu

A really liked Corpse's conceptafter i watched epi1, but my schedule was too much so i saved it for later.

Noragami was bad imo so didnt want to continue. 

How come? I thought it was good. honestly prefer Aragato to Season 1, to be honest.

Edited by Michael678 - December 26 2015 at 12:11
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 19:19
Started Bakemonogatari. Visually it's incredible. To a fault (it's rather distracting). Writing-wise, verdict is pending. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2015 at 23:25
Started watching Claymore last week after finishing Michiko and Hatchin.  Claymore is definitely a change of pace for me, going from sci-fi to a more medieval setting with monsters and stuff.  Pretty good so far, though.  And M&H?  Really good, but with kind of a weak ending, IMO. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 05:37
Claymore's a good series though the ending is a bit disappointing. I know why they did it as it was a monthly manga that only finished last year (the anime's nearly 12 years old now) and there was no intention for a sequal, but still not the best of endings.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 18:29

Everything Becomes F
Concrete Revolution
Seraph of the End

One Punch Man
Mr. Osomatsu

UPDATE: final thoughts on the first, third and fourth anime mentioned

1. Anime of the season for me. Hilarious comedy, setting the bar high for art and animation, and the action (even though kind of tedious which is understandable) was still to me engaging. Saitama could give less of a f**k regardless of any situation. Definitely "broken" as a character in that aspect.

3. It's fine for what it's worth, but it's probably my least favorite of what I watched this season. Wasn't really engaged and invested in this anime as the others, and some crucial plot points were handled poorly to me anyway.

4. Aragato > Season 1. Bishamon arc was probably my favorite of the series thus far, and the Ebisu is probably my least favorite actually. I expected him to be more in the morally grey area and what not, and I guess I reacted negatively towards what actually happened. (Expectations are a bitch, aren't they? lol). At least the ending made me look forward to what's going to happen next (spoliers will be avoided here). But still, with that same character (who was revealed to be someone else in said ending), his introduction and the situation that was a part of it in a sense felt out of place. Of course, there's probably some ulterior motive for that in the first place, but who knows?
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 23:15
Okay, I need to stop buying anime, or my wife might actually kill me. LOL  I just saw the newest Robotech dvd box set that has the three main series, plus like three movies all for $28 on Amazon.  I've never really seen any of Robotech, but with my love for Gundam, I figured this was a safe bet.  Plus, I bought the GTO box set earlier.  Yeah, I need to stop.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 06:44
I hate Macross/Robotech. I tried watching the original series and hated all of the main characters, plus the aliens being basically giant sized humans seemed dumb to me. When it come sto 80's mecha series I'm far more interested in Patlabor, VOTOMS and Heavy Metal L-Gaim, will eventually get around to watching those. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 43>