Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 16:04
Patlabor is one I've been wanting to check out for awhile, too, but not really sure where to start since there seems to be a few different OVA's, movies, etc.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 01:12
Bakemonogatari was good. Not perfect, but its strengths were so good as to render it a very memorable experience for me. 

Now I'm almost finished with Nisemonogatari, and I would recommend not watching it. I didn't know this when I started Nisemonogatari, but it's pretty much the writer's take on fan service anime. I knew about the toothbrush scene (thought I hadn't until just recently experienced the extreme discomfort of actually watching the scene, which, with the setup for the scene, takes up all of a 25-minute episode), but I didn't know that the fan service was going to be so prevalent, first, and secondly that it was going to be at the expense of the plot. The long dialogue sequence the Monogatari series is known for is used for, instead of character development and plot development, simply humor and fan service. Only one or two things actually happen in each episode and sometimes nothing actually happens, which is why the series takes 7 episodes to get over the first arc when most of the arcs in Bakemonogatari took 2 or 3. The other thing is that the fan service is extremely uncomfortable and not okay, morally. It's a very frustrating series, especially considering what Bakemonogatari was, and if you are watching the Monogatari series, you wouldn't miss much if you skipped it. I only have a couple episodes left, so I'm going to see how it turns out, but, again, I wouldn't personally recommend it.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 16:56
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Patlabor is one I've been wanting to check out for awhile, too, but not really sure where to start since there seems to be a few different OVA's, movies, etc.

This is the original OVA series so probably the best place to start, certainly where I intend to.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1288/Mobile_Police_Patlabor:_Early_Days
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 22:35
Okay, so I ordered the whole Patlabor movie timeline.  The OVA and the three movies.  My wife is going to be so mad at me, although my excuse is just getting it all out of my system before the baby comes. LOL  Plus, my kid is going to be so spoiled with all of this anime to watch later on.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 05:49
Just finished watching the first season of Psycho-Pass, excellent series, very interesting concept.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 10:44
Don't watch the second. :D

I just binged Tokyo Ghoul and loved it. One of the quickest watches i've done. I don't get the massive hate it gets online, but from what i can tell it stems from comparisions to the masterpiece of the manga it apparently is. That is probably why i liked it so easily, i havent read the manga and dont really plan to.

My favorite character was Yoshimura for sure, but the show had a great cast of enojable characters to pick from. 

Plus both opening songs are amazing.. 

Edited by Horizons - January 07 2016 at 10:44
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 11:33
Finished Nisemonogatari. I liked the parts with actual plot, which were few, but otherwise it was a frustrating watch. 

Nekomonogatari (Black) wasn't bad at all, but suffered from some lingering Nise stylistic elements, hard-to-follow dramatic dialogue sequences, and a kind of anticlimactic ending that was already explained in Bakemonogatari.

Monogatari Series Second Season has been great so far, though. As good as Bakemonogatari and perhaps better. Nekomonogatari (White) is the best thing I've seen in the series so far. 

Even though I've talked about Bakemonogatari's flaws, I love the show. It does things that I've not seen any other anime do, and its flaws are minor in comparison to its strengths. That's why Nise was so disappointing and what makes MSSS so satisfying. The Monogatari series in general, I think, is a must-watch, with its alternately sexy and mystical minimalism, its long mystery and character building dialogue sequences, and its manipulation of form. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 15:15
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Don't watch the second. :D

I just binged Tokyo Ghoul and loved it. One of the quickest watches i've done. I don't get the massive hate it gets online, but from what i can tell it stems from comparisions to the masterpiece of the manga it apparently is. That is probably why i liked it so easily, i havent read the manga and dont really plan to.

My favorite character was Yoshimura for sure, but the show had a great cast of enojable characters to pick from. 

Plus both opening songs are amazing.. 

I will watch it though I'm already well aware that its not as well received as the first season. Coincidentally I've also just started Tokyo Ghoul, an interesting if unspectacular first few episodes so far.

I need to go back and finish Bakemonogatari, it was quite interesting if overly wordy I found.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 22:18
Finished Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time yesterday, watching both the original 25th and 26th episodes, and The End of Evangelion.  The End ending is a lot better than the original tv ending, although it's still fairly hard to know what happened, if there even is a clear ending or if it's just supposed to be interpreted however the viewer feels happened (if THAT even makes sense) LOL.  I liked the whole thing a lot, and I'll probably watch it again in the future to try to understand it better, although Shinji annoyed the hell out of me on numerous occasions. 
EloyFan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EloyFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 14:13

Finished Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time yesterday, watching both the original 25th and 26th episodes, and The End of Evangelion.  The End ending is a lot better than the original tv ending, although it's still fairly hard to know what happened, if there even is a clear ending or if it's just supposed to be interpreted however the viewer feels happened (if THAT even makes sense) LOL.  I liked the whole thing a lot, and I'll probably watch it again in the future to try to understand it better, although Shinji annoyed the hell out of me on numerous occasions. 

I think the annoying aspect of Shinji was an adequate plot device. If anything it makes him seem like a real child rather than just another "pubescent boy becomes mech pilot" character. I really love the loose interpretation of the Judeo-Christian Apocalypse mythos that went into the creation of this anime. It took quite a lot of imagination and a quite a bit of research to get this done. It may take a rewatch or two to fully understand the anime, and even then you'll still be scratching your head. I don't know if I'd recommend the newer films though. I just finished 3.33 and it left me very unsatisfied, though 2.22 was good. I'd have to wait to see the final installment before I make a final verdict.

While on the subject of rewatch, I'm on my first rewatch of Steins;Gate and am now catching a lot that I missed when I first watched it, especially with the events that took place in the pilot.

Edited by EloyFan - January 10 2016 at 14:33
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 05:42
Originally posted by EloyFan EloyFan wrote:

I don't know if I'd recommend the newer films though. I just finished 3.33 and it left me very unsatisfied, though 2.22 was good. I'd have to wait to see the final installment before I make a final verdict.

yeah, if that'll ever happen lol
Progrockdude
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 05:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 17:35
Originally posted by EloyFan EloyFan wrote:

I think the annoying aspect of Shinji was an adequate plot device. If anything it makes him seem like a real child rather than just another "pubescent boy becomes mech pilot" character. I really love the loose interpretation of the Judeo-Christian Apocalypse mythos that went into the creation of this anime. It took quite a lot of imagination and a quite a bit of research to get this done. It may take a rewatch or two to fully understand the anime, and even then you'll still be scratching your head. I don't know if I'd recommend the newer films though. I just finished 3.33 and it left me very unsatisfied, though 2.22 was good. I'd have to wait to see the final installment before I make a final verdict.

That's true.  I guess I felt the way I did because from a viewer's standpoint, we know what he needs to do, and he won't do it, but from his viewpoint, it's a lot more complicated.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 18:55
I liked Shinji as a character. Maybe because, sadly, I could relate to him. He's a surprising character in and inherently unrealistic genre, which, I think, is why he's as polarizing as he is.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 18:56
I'm halfway through Soul Eater and I'm enjoying watching it so far, it's so silly... especially the Excalibur episodes LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 20:42
I'm working my way through the Patlabor movie timeline right now.  I only have Patlabor 2 left after watching XIII last night. 
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 12:25
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I liked Shinji as a character. Maybe because, sadly, I could relate to him. He's a surprising character in and inherently unrealistic genre, which, I think, is why he's as polarizing as he is.

one of the main reasons why I'm so scared of watching this bloody series
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 20:34
Finished the Patlabor movie timeline a while ago and now I'm almost through Great Teacher Onizuka.  So dumb and hilarious and I love it! LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 23:49
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

one of the main reasons why I'm so scared of watching this bloody series
Just jump into it. It's a classic, even though it is definitely not perfect. There's a lot to enjoy about it even if you don't end up liking it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 23:58
Welp, after finishing all the Monogatari series out right now (though a series of shorts, Koyomimonogatari, is airing now), I hopped over to another show based on a Nisi Oisin light novel series, Katanagatari. So far it's a well executed, fun, colorful, if unoriginal shonen show. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 43>