Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst impression of The Bedlam In Goliath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: How do you feel after TBIG?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [5.00%]
25 [41.67%]
7 [11.67%]
9 [15.00%]
6 [10.00%]
2 [3.33%]
2 [3.33%]
4 [6.67%]
2 [3.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 03:15
Listening to it for the second time since I bought it.... It has all the marks of a grower. Great production, great artwork, outstanding musicianship, fantastic song titles. ''Goliath'' may well be the band's best composition ever. 
Urs Blank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 12:38
I don't like to vote or compare an album after only a few listenings, but it will probably be one of my favorite 2008 albums. I feel something corresponding to what I felt when I discovered Deloused, which is pretty rare!
Surely one of the best MV!
Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.
Salvador Dali.
SirPsycho388 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 16:03
WOW! This album is awesome! I feel like this was a great direction for TMV to go in. I'm glad they didn't try to create another De-Loused... that album is amazing, but it's one of a kind and people need to accept that. I love all their albums, but I had a hard time getting into Frances The Mute and Amputechture when I first heard them. This one is much easier to digest at first listen.
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me. And do I take you by the hand and lead you through the land and help me understand the best I can
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 16:28
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

I've heard this now and I miss all the noise. I don't like the new drummer - he seems to have professional muso disorder and doesn't seem to be serving the songs all the time. I also wonder why they've stopped writing songs they way they did on De-loused; how much has the line-up changed since then?

I agree with you on the drummer point. No doubt about it, he is excellent; he is more of a solo drummer though, like Billy Cobham and Mike Portnoy, as opposed to drummers like Alan White and Guy Evans, who play more for the music than themselves. In other words, Thomas Pridgen would be much more as a solist, not an accompanist.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

I've heard this now and I miss all the noise. I don't like the new drummer - he seems to have professional muso disorder and doesn't seem to be serving the songs all the time. I also wonder why they've stopped writing songs they way they did on De-loused; how much has the line-up changed since then?

I agree with you on the drummer point. No doubt about it, he is excellent; he is more of a solo drummer though, like Billy Cobham and Mike Portnoy, as opposed to drummers like Alan White and Guy Evans, who play more for the music than themselves. In other words, Thomas Pridgen would be much more as a solist, not an accompanist.

I don't know... I think the drummer kind of works in the context of TMV.  What TMV does (and has always done) is just throw a ton of music right in your face and make you deal with it right there.  They've never been enamored with subtlety or balance, but it works for them moreso than for other bands.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 16:47

He's a good drummer, but I think Jon Theodore was much better. He was simultaniously bombastic whilst being simpathetic to the music, with great chops.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 18:11
Am I the only one not "wowed" by this album?

I've only heard it once, but there where a lot of moments in the album that didn't really hold my interest (like Cedric's singing at the beginning of Cavalettas), or some moments when the music didn't flowed (the ending of Ilyena. Where did that came from?!). And don't get me started on Tourniquet Man...

The new drummer did exaggerate in some songs so that put me off a bit more. I agree that he's more of a soloist than a follower.

Thankfully there were some great moments in their too like Goliath and Agadez, but from my first listen this is Mars Volta's most inconsistent album to date.

What happened? Unhappy

CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 19:36
Honestly, watch any youtube videos of Theodore and compare him to Pridgen.  Pridgen's an actual musician/player who gives it his all: HOLDS THINGS DOWN, LISTENS, improvs polyrhythmically, likes the material, etc. whereas you can actually SEE the points where Theodore stops trying/gets lazy and is more or less an amateur in comparison.  The Mars Volta sounded like an accentuated goddamn mess because JT couldn't hold sh*t down, be enthused, or try anything exciting live...you can tell he was being hard-pressed to improv/jam with them/care.  You might also infer that TMV with JT was more a mess because no one in the band gave a sh*t due to personal tensions, but this is entirely different albeit not totally besides the point.  

Time will tell in the long run with his implementation in the band (I'm more interested in seeing his laid back playing; if you don't know, their next album is supposed to be a sort of antithesis to Bedlam) but if you ask me Pridgen plays CIRCLES, CIRCLES around Theodore.  His background is far more impressive too.  JT likes Cobham, Chambers, etc.  TP comes from a completely different world (his background is in R&B and Gospel!) and has TOURED with Chambers in clinics...I just look at the two under the lens of  the professional viz. the amateur.

Like the post I made before: either cling to the past or move on.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 00:43
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

I don't know... I think the drummer kind of works in the context of TMV.  What TMV does (and has always done) is just throw a ton of music right in your face and make you deal with it right there.  They've never been enamored with subtlety or balance, but it works for them moreso than for other bands.

De-Loused and FTM were full of subtlety and balance; that's what made them so spectacular. I'm not doubting the drummer fits well with their newer style though. (I still haven't picked it up)
Novalis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 02:19
So far...good, but not great. Although, it's still growing on me and like most TMV, will need a while to digest.

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

The drummer does fit into TMV's post-psychodelic in-your-face sound quite nicely, however, it is blindingly obvious that he's a soloist, and he would be much more comfortable in that area. John Theodore is much better adapted to their style, as demonstrated perfectly in Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus off the Frances the mute album. He is crazy, but like all great inventors, he keeps his madness under control whilst at work, making him an extremely dynamic drummer.
vnmn23 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 00:05
I purchased the album at Best Buy yesterday, which included a bonus DVD featuring live footage of Cygnus and a download code for two bonus tracks, Birthday and Pulled To Bits.  Only problem, the bonus MP3's are not compatible with Mac or iTunes and cannot be imported into an iPod.  The bonus DVD was cool, but I read an article stating that some DVD's are not working in American DVD players.

Overall I like the new album so far.  I haven't listened to it enough to compare to their previous releases, but as others have already posted, there is obviously much less "filler".  The songs that really jumped out to me after the first listen are Goliath and Agadez.  Omar is amazing as usual, I really need to get one of his solo albums.

Edited by vnmn23 - January 31 2008 at 00:26
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 00:33
In the grand scheme of things....

De-Loused in the Comatorium: 4/5
Frances the Mute: 3/5
Amputechture: never listened to it all (approx. 1.5/5)
Bedlam in Goliath: 3/5

Mars Volta as a whole may be a progressive concept, but they have a definite formula, that's only slightly altered. They knew how to ebb and flow and let silence and down-time do wonders on De-Loused. Amputechture and Bedlam are basically punches in the face. Good for what they are, but not versatile, or wholly enjoyable. It's a niche album from a niche band.

Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 02:47
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

In the grand scheme of things....

De-Loused in the Comatorium: 4/5
Frances the Mute: 3/5
Amputechture: never listened to it all (approx. 1.5/5)
Bedlam in Goliath: 3/5

Mars Volta as a whole may be a progressive concept, but they have a definite formula, that's only slightly altered. They knew how to ebb and flow and let silence and down-time do wonders on De-Loused. Amputechture and Bedlam are basically punches in the face. Good for what they are, but not versatile, or wholly enjoyable. It's a niche album from a niche band.

It's not so bad.. it's better that they've found their own unique niche and stick to it, rather than trying to fit the niche of 385 bands who have done the same thing before them, which I find many other (of course not all) modern bands doing.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 19:31
I finally listened to it (twice), and it actually exceeded my expectations Smile. The "magic" of de-loused isn't there, but it's still an excellent album. I'd almost go so far as to say it could be the best of '08, but this really does look like a promising year.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 10:49
De-Loused in the Comatorium: 2.5 stars
Frances the Mute: 2 stars
Amputechture: 3.5 to 4.0 stars
Bedlam in Goliath: 1.5 to 2 stars

from Free-napster. I'm not going to buy this album. It sounds like a bad parody of Amp. Confused
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 21:03
Awfull. Although it is my first TMV venture, so I may be jumping to conclusions too quickly, but yeah . . . pretty horrible as far as I'm concerned for now.

I'm planning on listening to it again before I confirm it, though, Could end up liking it.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 03:01
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

De-Loused in the Comatorium: 2.5 stars
Frances the Mute: 2 stars
Amputechture: 3.5 to 4.0 stars
Bedlam in Goliath: 1.5 to 2 stars

from Free-napster. I'm not going to buy this album. It sounds like a bad parody of Amp. Confused

I saw it as an attempt to fix amputechture. It's in the same style, but doesn't feature Amp's biggest flaw.. the endless noodling and the dragging out of songs.
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 16:10
Some songs are great Clap

but Cavalettas is just a dire waste of 10 minutes Dead IMO

enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 16:20
Originally posted by enigma enigma wrote:

but Cavalettas is just a dire waste of 10 minutes Dead IMO

Having just said that, I am listening to it now, and it sounds much better !
Damn this album, the songs keep changing with each spin, more so than the other albums.

I'll stick with my first comment (after all the thread is titled "First Impression"), but I think this CD will take a while to reveal all it's treasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>