Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNorth America Prog Festivals: Rolling Calendar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 10:06
I'm moving to Houston, Texas from SoCal.  I frequented BajaProg and went to the last few ProgWests.  Saw every CalProg from the Neal Morse show and now it looks like I'll be travelling quite a bit to get to my next Festival.  Too bad.
Terry
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 09:23
The NA Festival Calendar has now been completed and updated for the remainder of the year....Big%20smile

If there is any continued interest in this facility, I'll start setting up 2009's during the late autumn/ winter...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 10:09

Yes, I would be interested in seeing this calendar continue.  Thank you for your efforts.

Terry
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 13:28
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

The NA Festival Calendar has now been completed and updated for the remainder of the year....Big%20smile

If there is any continued interest in this facility, I'll start setting up 2009's during the late autumn/ winter...Wink

Sorry, theres another update:

Good day fellow Proggers!!
I have some interesting news for all of you who are planning to attend 3RP.
There is going to be an AMAZING ADDITION to the 3RP weekend of Powerhouse entertainment!!
TRANSATLANTIC MEMBERS - Roine Stolt, Neal Morse, and Mike Portnoy are planning to reunite at 3RP!!

PROG RULES!!!!

The 3 Rivers Prog guy on Progressiveears...

Too bad I can't go.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 14:12
^ Not to steal you thunder KOL but this derserves its own thread!

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 04:49
^^ I agree with Garion...Clap

although I've updated the Calendar for you...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 02:25
Mustasch was a replacement for Volbeat at Progpower USA IX

Volbeat Cancel, Promoter devastated…

April 8, 2008

I normally avoid detailed explanations regarding the business. That is a positive in terms of professionalism, yet a negative in terms of dealing directly with the fans. This is one time where I believe the fans deserve the behind the scenes story.

Due to Volbeat having no North American representation back in August of last year, I contacted the band directly through a mutual friend. I was instructed to contact their Scandinavian booking agent at the time to begin negotiations. I sent several email to that person and received zero response. I notified the band that of the current problem. I was referred to their record label, Mascot Records. I explained the situation to them and received a very enthusiastic response. They asked for the terms of the offer and I gave it to them. They proceeded to tell me they would talk to the band and be back in touch.

I contacted the label representative at the beginning of September and explained that I needed a decision. I wanted to do a video announcement at the festival this year and needed time to put it together. The label confirmed the band and proceeded to tell me they planned on having Volbeat do additional dates in the U.S. around the festival. They thought it would be perfect considering the timing of the new release. Done deal. I still have that specific email on file.

I then received an email from the label after the first of the year stating they were “not sure” if the band could perform. I was obviously upset and showed him the exact email with the confirmation. Why would I have spent four months promoting the band if I did not have a confirmation? He then proceeded to say that I needed to speak with the band’s European booking agent that had taken over all booking aspects (they evidently had fired the Scandinavian booker). I contacted him with proof of the confirmation from the label. Both he and the band stated they were never notified of the confirmation of the show. I asked how that was possible considering I had been promoting the band since September. I told them that I had already given them more promotion in North America in four months than the band had ever received. I was then told the band was not sure of their schedule because of the growing demand for the band and the schedule around the new release. The would work to make it happen though (and I trust their Euro booking agent 100% as he is a good friend of mine).

No word for a few weeks.

At the first of March, I asked their booking agent if I should cancel them then. I did not want to put tickets on sale with their name of the roster if they knew they were going to pull out. I was assured they were going to do everything possible to keep the date. What could I do? I had a deal in place. I had already promoted the band for four months. There was still seven months before the show. That should be more than enough advance notice to leave my date alone and schedule around me. It was only one weekend. I had to wait it out.

I sent a few more emails and was told that a U.S.booking agent was coming over to scout them and potentially build a tour around the festival. Everything was looking like it was falling into place.

It was not.

Volbeat will be heading out on a European tour the same weekend as ProgPower USA. They have apologized for the cancellation of the show they “never confirmed.” They have said they will issue a statement if I wanted them to. I told them it didn’t matter. I was going to tell the truth.

The bottom line is that I got f**ked over for doing exactly as I was told to do.

I am more upset with this cancellation than I have ever been in my history as a festival promoter. Volbeat was the number one band I was looking forward to seeing this year. I know that many fans were just as excited as I was. I deeply apologize about the situation. This business sucks sometimes.

As for my plans, give me a few days. I could replace a power metal band with a power metal band. I could replace a progressive metal band with a progressive metal band. Hell, I could replace a growler with a growler. What I cannot do is replace Volbeat with anything remotely close to what they are.

Edited by Plankowner - August 08 2008 at 02:27
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 04:40
^^thanks for that David; I did read that note back in April, but omitted to take Volbeat's name off the Calendar....Embarrassed

Edited by fandango - August 09 2008 at 04:40
CandyLion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 05:45
Not tons of choices in southern California. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 05:47
Originally posted by CandyLion CandyLion wrote:

I'm sorry about that Candy, I know that you good people have to travel a long way for a decent festival.  If either you or I hear anything, then lets make sure it gets added...Wink
CandyLion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 05:53

I'm sorry about that Candy, I know that you good people have to travel a long way for a decent festival.  If either you or I hear anything, then lets make sure it gets added...Wink

I really want to go to the one in whittier, the calprog one,  but I don't know if I can make it, the good seats are gone and the ones left might be gone soon. Plus I already paid alot of money to see Steve Lukather and Don RIckles in october.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 17:52

Hello!  Calprog in October in Whitier.  Last time I looked that was in So Cal.  Wink From that Festival I have seen Spiraling, Bubblemath, Izz, Tiles, Flower Kings, Helmet of Gnats, Rocket Scientists, Cryptic Vision, Kino, Frogg Cafe, Puppet Show, Rudess Morgenstein project and on a off show in Dec 2004 I saw the Musical Box.

I have also seen Kansas (twice) Liquid Tension Experiment this year with Neal Morse and Trans Siberian Orchestra (ok not really prog but still good)  on the horizon.  In the last three  years I have seen Dixie Dregs, Steve Hackett, Spock's Beard, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Carl Palmer Band, Prymary, Zappa Plays Zappa three times, and Kansas several times,

I have missed Porcupine Tree three times Asia (original Band) twice, Dream Theater a few times, Return to Forever,  Circa (twice), John McLauphlin, Alan Holdsworth and probably some newer bands I didn't see. 

You just have to look harder. Smile

Edited by Garion81 - September 01 2008 at 18:00

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 17:59

I really want to go to the one in whittier, the calprog one,  but I don't know if I can make it, the good seats are gone and the ones left might be gone soon. Plus I already paid alot of money to see Steve Lukather and Don RIckles in october.

The place only holds 400 seats there isn't a bad one in the place.  Been going there since 2005. There are still some seats in the middle towards the back of the center section and 4 great bands for $70 is pretty good price. I guarantee you will have a great time. At the Raddison hotel right around the corner there will be a pre show party with a Genesis tribute band on Friday night for $10.  Hang out there after the show on Saturday as well.  Most of the bands and some concert goers hang out in the lobby and party.

Edited by Garion81 - September 01 2008 at 18:01

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 09:05
I received the following email that some might find useful:

RoSfest is pleased to announce Iluvatar to the stage on Friday May 1st 2009 

Iluvatar are a band from Baltimore, Maryland recognized as one of America's premier progressive rock bands. Having a solid foundation in rock music, Iluvatar combines different elements from other genres such as jazz, classical, and psychedelia, and weaves them into sound tapestries that, while pushing the boundaries of the standard rock formula, remain very accessible, even radio-ready. Although often incorporating extended instrumental passages, time signature shifts, strong dynamics, and sometimes unconventional arrangements, the music steers away from the self-indulgence of many artists that fall into the "progressive" genre. The focus remains on creating unique songs with strong memorable melodies and heartfelt vocals. The end result is music that can be appreciated by both the casual listener and aficionado alike. 

The band is made up by lead singer Glenn McLaughlin, Dennis Mullin – Guitars, Jim Rezek – Keyboards, Dean Morekas - Bass, Backing Vocals and Chris Mack - Drums, Percussion.  

To date the band has recorded three great albums Iluvatar's self-titled debut CD was released on Kinesis Records in November 1993 and quickly became the label's top-seller. Iluvatar re-entered the studio in March 1995 to record "Children", their second album for Kinesis, and firmly established Iluvatar as one of the premier American bands in the 90's progressive movement. In 1997 Iluvatar released their third album "A Story Two Days Wide". 

In addition to numerous headlining shows, Iluvatar has played before progressive rock fans at both ProgScape 94 and 96 in Baltimore, one of New York City's ProgNights in 96, ProgDay 96 in North Carolina, and ProgEast in Quebec, Canada. They played to packed theaters in Buenos Aires, Argentina in September 1997, and performed in Mexicali, Mexico at BajaProg 98 as well as NEARfest 2000 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. 

Iluvatar are currently in the midst of recording their long-awaited new studio album and they will feature their new music at RoSfest. 

For more on information on Iluvatar head on over to the RoSfest website and check out the complete bio and sample the free MP3. 

Iluvatar website -
http://iluvatar.com/
Iluvatar Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/iluvatar2006 
Check out the bands bio and MP3 -
http://www.rosfest.com/Performers-2009/Iluvatar.htm

GOLD SEAT TICKETS GO ON SALE THIS WEEKEND FOR THE 6th ANNUAL RITES OF SPRING FESTIVAL

Tickets will go on sale this Saturday, November 1st at 12:00 noon EST for the 6th annual Rites of Spring Festival, which is set to take place at the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA on Friday, May 1st, Saturday, May 2nd, and Sunday, May 3rd, 2009. 

The performing bands for Friday include – Brazil's premier progressive rock band Apocalypse, and the legendary Nektar. Saturday's line up includes California's eclectic and innovative ensemble Estradasphere, New Orleans hard rockers Abigail's Ghost, Jem Godfrey's UK band Frost, and French headliner Lazuli. Sunday's lineup includes UK Rockers Touchstone, followed by Swedish group Moon Safari and Italy's Mangala Vallis lead by former PFM and Acqua Fragile lead singer Bernardo Lanzetti and headlining our Sunday night slot is John Lees' Barclay James Harvest

As a special added bonus we have Silver Pipe playing at the RoSfest host hotel Holiday Inn bar at 11:30 PM on Friday night after the main headliner. Tickets are only $5.00 each.

Tickets go on sale this Saturday, November 1st at 12:00 noon EST. Friday tickets are $40.00; Saturday and Sunday Gold seat tickets are $225.00 You can order your tickets online at http://www.rosfest.com/Ticket_Info.htm or call the following numbers (484) 432-7357 | (816) 769–1667 | (215) 840 - 5789

Be sure to visit www.rosfest.com for more information and check the ticket info tab and look for the link that will be activated at noon at the bottom of the page.

Regular seat tickets go on sale on January 2nd 2009 at 9 AM available through Ticket Master

George Roldan & Tom Smith
www.rosfest.com 

Edited by rushfan4 - October 31 2008 at 09:05
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 14:46
Calprog announces 2009 date set.

From Jim Harrell's www.calprog.website

CalProg 2009 - Whittier venue booked for October 10, 2009

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2008 at 04:25
^^hello, North American peoples....Smile

many thanks to Bryan, Scott and all those others who have added recent info to this thread...Thumbs Up

as you will see, I have now set the 2009 rolling calendar up, which will be updated every few weeks, as and when I see new info.  you will notice that at this stage, it is still rather 'sketchy', but that is to be expected.

if anyone has any up to date info, please help out by continuing to add info in this thread, thereby giving these festivals much needed support at a time of economic uncertainty...Clap
snippygal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 18:51
THANK YOU for posting this! Sadly, I had no idea there were still Prog Festivals out there (I don't get out much). I will definitely check out the Chapel Hill NC or Atlanta festivals!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 08:37
Originally posted by snippygal snippygal wrote:

THANK YOU for posting this! Sadly, I had no idea there were still Prog Festivals out there (I don't get out much). I will definitely check out the Chapel Hill NC or Atlanta festivals!

if it just means that one extra person goes to each festival 'snippy', then it will have been worthwhile posting it....Big smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 06:22
events have been updated...Wink
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2009 at 09:21
Notice of Suspension of Calendar Updates:
Please read 1st post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123