Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Ultimate PA Album List - Results!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 21:10

#60 Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
(8 votes - 1571 points) Highest rating: #10 by Zappa88
With Caravan's 1971 release "In The Land Of Grey And Pink", the Canterbury genre of music peaked and then was born again. Of course, since it is the true gem of the genre, it contains all of the necessary elements for an amazing Canterbury album, such as the psychedelic surrealism and the funny and goofy approach to writing lyrics. Start with this album if you are just looking for an album that is very musically intelligent yet fun at the same time, all while staying clean and interesting. (Zappa88)

#59 Supertramp - Crime of the Century
(8 votes - 1576 points) Highest rating: #1 by Bj-1
This is a dynamic and progressive journey to me, a really unique album which changes moods by each track, nothing here is bad in my book, this is pure perfection both in compositional skills as well and technical competence from the band. After all these listens I’ve given this album, I still can’t find something I dislike about it and it never get’s dull or tiresome to my ears. (Bj-1)

#58 Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'une Cinquième Saison
(8 votes - 1611 points) Highest rating: #7 by El Böthy
Possibly the most beautiful album ever, at least in my collection. It´s the simplicity of the arregements what makes this album so wonderful and colorful. Every little detail, every note, every instrument makes this album be the masterpiece it is. This is definitly a jewel in any kind of genre, be it prog, rock, folk or whatever...(El Böthy)

#57 Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
(9 votes - 1640 points) Highest rating: #2 by cookieacquired
Musically, this album is amazingly original to the point where the band has made its own instruments that they play. The underlying tone of the songs usually lies somewhere between sinister and evil, though tongue-in-cheek is also present. Overall I deem this album not to be missed, and urge those who haven't already gotten it to buy it and listen to it. (cookieacquired)

#56 Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
(8 votes - 1641 points) Highest rating: #3 by Draconean
This must be one of the most complex albums ever... The album, because of his (again) complexety and theatrical approach ( A Passion PLAY!), makes the band no longer a folk prog band, but a symphonic one...very very nice!!! (El Böthy #12)

#55 King Crimson - Lizard
(9 votes - 1650 points) Highest rating: #2 by BigHairyMonster
If progressive rock is supposed to be a mix of rock, jazz and concert hall music, then this album should be the poster child for the genre. What Fripp does on this section is take musical themes that build and contrast with each other, weaving them in and out till it all hits a bursting point. On top of this tightly wound compostion the horn players spit out their chaotic solos, and it is all done with a rock sound and energy. It is the perfect blend of all three elements. (Easy Money #5)

#54 Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
(8 votes - 1679 points) Highest rating: #13 by King Crimson776
Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands, and I'd have to say this is my favorite album by them. The melodies on this album are just so catchy. (King Crimson 776)

#53 Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life
(9 votes - 1700 points) Highest rating: #2 by Evans, Geck0
If i were to compare Still Life and Godbluff, i would say that Godbluff is the better musically, but that Still Life is the winner by far lyrically. Since this is a prog site and us who really listen to lyrics are in minority, i can see why Godbluff is more popular. If you like Vdgg, you can't really go wrong here. (Evans)

#52 Metallica - ...And Justice For All
(8 votes - 1722 points) Highest rating: #7 by enteredwinter

#51 Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
(9 votes - 1730 points) Highest rating: #32 by kenmartree
The album is very beautiful, and will definitely appeal more to the fan that never got into Peter Gabriel Genesis. The music of the album easily surpasses the vocals and lyrics. The mood is very mellow, 50% twelve string guitar, while the other 50% is keyboards and drums.Overall this album kinda disappointed me at first, but after many close listens, I have come to appreciate the mellow atmosphere and pretty acoustics. (schizoid_man77 #38)

oh and lappy I love you/

GET READY FOR THE TOP 50. IT WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF.

Edited by moreitsythanyou - February 16 2008 at 15:27
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 21:44
hey my Choirs of the Eye review got quoted!! i sounded so sophisticated .  . . Embarrassed
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 21:44
Wow, I'm still scraping the barrel here! Only 6 more off my list there. But hey, at least I got a snippetCool
Beauty will save the world.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 21:47
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

oh and lappy I love you/

I'm starting to believe that you mean it. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 21:49
terria and f#a# oo snippets from yours truly as well. i am very proud of myself right now... Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

oh and lappy I love you/

I'm starting to believe that you mean it. Embarrassed
Anyone who supports the cause
(and why the hell wasn't it Amnesiac) Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 22:03
Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

Wow, I'm still scraping the barrel here! Only 6 more off my list there. But hey, at least I got a snippetCool
From a very well written review might I add.

Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 22:15
Thanks, I appreciate it, but give Caravan the credit! I could have written about 5 more pages and it still would have been a great review. That's just one of those albums man, you could write a book...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 22:17
Hopefully there are some more "bookworthy" albums in this bunch:
The begining of the top 50 albums of all time as voted on by you, the PA population:

#50 The Beatles - Abbey Road
(9 votes - 1742 points) Highest rating: #4 by kenmartree
Abbey Road made me appreciate music, it opened my eyes, and no music did ever sound the same afterwards. Abbey Road is the album where the Beatles took every good element from their past and distil them into their absolute masterpiece. There is no way i can give this seminal album anything less than masterpiece rating. (Evans #12)

#49 Radiohead - Kid A
(9 votes - 1770 points) Highest rating: #3 by Heyitsthatguy
With Kid A, Radiohead reached the epitome of what it means to be progressive in the 21st century. Deeply moving and artistic, Kid A pushes the boundaries that have held back not just the band, but music in general. I guess that the dark tone that shrouds this album is what makes it so memorable and relateable. Emotional presence is essential for a masterpiece to contain, and there is no lack of it here. (Moreitsythanyou #4)

#48 Magma - Mekanik Destrukiw Kommandoh
(9 votes - 1795 points) Highest rating: #1 by Shakespeare
I ne'er knew true beauty 'till this...The melodies and arrangements are all mind-blowing, and still interesting after the hundredth listen. The atmosphere is consistently celestial and grandiose. On some moments, you can feel as if the words carry powers of exorcism, as Vander himself has expressed to feel.Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh is unarguably flawless. Enjoying it is only a matter of taste. (Shakespeare)

#47 Opeth - Ghost Reveries
(9 votes - 1801 points) Highest rating: #2 by asimplemistake
Absolutely amazing. Now why is it that Opeth was the first band with screaming/growling I could stand? Well, maybe it's the beautiful soft breaks in many of their heavy songs. Maybe it's the huge dynamic range the band shows. Maybe it's the awesome heavy riffs. Maybe it's that Opeth has a sound that no other band really has. Or it could be I love the sound quality of this album. Actually, I think its all of those (in fact, it is!). (asimplemistkae)

#46 Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear
(9 votes - 1808 points) Highest rating: #10 by Sleeper
Overall this is quite an amazing album, most definitely one of the strongest debut’s in the prog world, and historically the album that kicked the Neo-prog movement into high gear, even if it wasn't the first one there. Despite its flaws in the rhythm section, this album is stunning because of its immaculately formed songs {sleeper}

#45 Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
(9 votes - 1811 points) Highest rating: #8 by Man With Hat
This is one of those albums that shakes music to the core, and I am afraid that I can not do this album justice. I still don't think I can capture the pure power of this music in words. This is one of those albums that should be listened to by any person that loves music.Dark, powerful, eerie, beautiful, melancholy...these are only a few adjective to describe the journey this album (and this band in general) take you on. (Man With Hat)

#44 Rush - Moving Pictures
(10 votes - 1816 points) Highest rating: #14 by Markosherrera
Rush combines the advent of synths in the 80's with their classic sound to create their most well known album. Rush combines the use of synthesizers that they first implemented in previous albums to a more dramatic effect with their classic sound to create a balance of technicality, progressiveness, and catchiness. All three members are in top form and have great performances here. (Heyitsthatguy #66)

#43 Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
(10 votes - 1891 points) Highest rating: #1 by Draconean
In all of its dark, brooding melody, Godbluff is at heart, a very well written collection of songs. It is highly thematic and expressive. In my opinion, the band is at its musical peak, resulting in four timeless songs that work very well together. A must for any progressive collection, especially for those who enjoy heartfelt despondency and shimmering beauty. (Moreitsythanyou #50)

#42 Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
(10 votes - 1892 points) Highest rating: #13 by darkmatter
Porcupine Tree have created one of the greatest albums of the decade with this one. I agree completely that this is the top prog album of 2005. PT are heavier than ever on this album.Anyway, I highly recomend this album to anyone who goes on this site, so if you don't have it and are looking to get into modern prog, get it. (King Crimson776 #23)

#41 Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
(9 votes - 1940 points) Highest rating: #1 by Heyitsthatguy
Its not often that I find an album that I cant find anything wrong with it, even on 5 star albums I will find a small niggling problem, but nothing worth getting hung up over. Here I can find no fault, in my opinion this is the best album that Dream Theater have ever produced and I don’t think they will ever beat it(sleeper #3)

Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 22:27
Nope, only one from my listLOL
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 22:28
Woo! I'm mentioned and quoted! Big%20smileEmbarrassed

The suspense grows.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 22:54
Adding the snippets is genius, itsy (thanks in no small part to my contributions Wink)

Given all these amazing albums, I can't wait to see what the top 10 are.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 23:00
Hey, Im very quoted! yay meeeeeeeee
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 23:26

#40 The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
(9 votes - 1946 points) Highest rating: #2 by Heyitsthatguy
This album is, by no doubt in my mind, an Essential addition to any collection. The mars Volta are one of the most original and most important bands of the 21st century and this is, also without a doubt, their seminal album.Its an explosive record with some great atmospheric passages interspersed throughout both the songs and within the songs themselves.This is an essential album for anyone wishing to call themselves a progressive music aficionado and one of the most important releases of the last few decades.(Keiser Willhelm #15)

#39 Pain of Salvation - BE
(9 votes - 1979 points) Highest rating: #4 by Keiser Willhelm, Heyitsthatguy
An over the top yet relevant concept ties in with orchestra backed music to make their most progressive, if perhaps least metal, release in their career. Daniel Gildenlow's vocals shine throughout, from crying the plight of a doomed human race to the snide, condescending, and deliciously self interested musings of a certain Mr. Money. I like this one too (Heyitsthatguy)

#38 Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
(11 votes - 1990 points) Highest rating: #1 by Atavachron
An outfit so well-versed in myriad musics and so able to pull the very best from each member, that there are moments on this 1973 release that dwarf contemporaries and make Yes and Tull look like schoolchildren. Consequently, there is not a slow or insignificant moment on 'In a Glass House' and it remains the enormous masterwork it was then. This band is a glory to behold and we're left wondering why other prog acts so consistantly took the spotlight of history. No matter really, Gentle Giant made great records for us to enjoy forever. It doesn't get any better.(Atavachron)

#37 Ayreon - The Human Equation
(10 votes - 2042 points) Highest rating: #3 by Lofcaudio
This album grabbed me in the very first listen (not always a good thing) and has continued to thrill my ears on subsequent listens (definitely a good thing).With every song being loaded with numerous vocalists, there is never a dull moment despite the length of the entire album. I highly recommend this piece of art. It has left me stunned. (Lofcaudio)

#36 Van der Graaf Generator - H to He Who Am the Only One
(10 votes - 2072 points) Highest rating: #5 by Man With Hat
I don't know exactly why, but I find this to be a very enjoyable album to listen to. I enjoy its operatic and majestic nature which can switch from introspective musings to bombastic proclaimations. Truly an epic album of expression and creativity, which contains my favorite songs by Van der Graaf Generator. Although I feel that the band had progressed from here as musicans, this is the album I always find myself coming back to. (Moreitsythanyou #30)

#35 Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico
(11 votes - 2127 points) Highest rating: #7 by Martinn
Per Un Amico is widely regarded as the landmark Italian Symphonic album. Its five songs range from exciting to haunting to beautiful. It proves that great music can surpass language barriers remains an excellent example of symphonic rock today, even against the British favorites. (Moreitsythanyou #92)

#34 Yes - The Yes Album
(14 votes - 2180 points) Highest rating: #5 by Atavachron
My introduction to the wonderful world that is Yes, and it couldn’t have been a better one. “The Yes album” may not be as colossal as "Close to the edge", "Tales..." or “Relayer” and yes, Tony Kaye obviously is not Rick Wakeman, but I still like it , and a lot. A classic!!! (El Böthy #29)

#33 Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1
(10 votes - 2233 points) Highest rating: #1 by Sleeper
On creating The Perfect Element Part 1 it appears that Pain of Salvation have created the perfect album. To me its a deep and emotionally involving concept that draws you in and makes you feel for the characters. In-fact this concept is the key to why I enjoy this album so much.The Perfect Element is one of those strange albums that proves to be the easiest starting point for the band in question whilst holding such huge reserves of emotional and musical depth that it remains as a fast favourite. (sleeper)

#32 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (Zoso)
(11 votes - 2242 points) Highest rating: #3 by 1800iareyay, EnglishAssassin)
This is arguably the greatest rock record ever recorded, i certainly consider it so. Led Zeppelin at their finest. Stunning effort. i have owned this since the tender age of 7 and have enjoyed every year of it. hasnt gotten old yet! essential for ANY music fan, prog or otherwise. (Keiser Willhelm #6)

#31 Opeth - Still Life
(11 votes - 2273 points) Highest rating: #1 by enteredwinter
This is one of the very few albums that felt life-changing to me upon first hearing it. It was like nothing I had ever heard before, and I loved it. If metal (or prog-metal) is something you enjoy generally and if you can stomach the growl-vocals then what you will find is some extraordinarily well-written music within this album. There is an unbelievably well-done blend of intense growl/distortion parts mixed with clean-vocal/acoustic-guitar parts.(enteredwinter)

Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 23:32
Holy crap! My taste really is that obscure ain't it?
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 23:35
a lot of my top few made the top 100 so I'm happy

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 23:44
I was on Sigur ros and a trick of the tail?

I'm flattered Dan.
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 00:38
Very cool, I like the addition of the reviews! (except mine..)

Man now I really wanna see the top ones!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 00:41
the suspense! if anything this makes me want to review more albums, if only for the hope that they will be used as snippets! I have terribly few reviews... must ... correct... problem...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 00:47
Well I use reviews of the person who rated it highest and if they don't have one, I use the person who rated it second highest and so on and so on...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>