Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI am a newb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am a newb
    Posted: February 19 2008 at 23:33

Hello, I'm mike, and I am 15..I'm pretty new here, being a newb I like all the typical bands most newbs come in here likeing..my favorite band of course is Dream Theater. I also listen to Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Rush, King Crimson, Between the Buried and Me, Pink Floyd, and some yes. I don't only listen to prog though, I also am into a lot of shred being that I'm a guitarist..I listen to a lot of Steve Vai, Satch, Buckethead, Jason Becker, and a LOT of Eric Johnson. Although this has no relavence to prog I also love and play ice hockey.

Like I said earlier I am a guitarist and I play an '80 gibson sg and a jackson dinky...I have a bad habit of thinking that anything fast is good...except yngwie malmsteen...all of his stuff just sounds the same (however evil eye is a good song).

My 2 prog concerts were Dream Theater (8/25/07) at jones beach and Porcupine Tree (10-13-07) at the Beacon Theater. This summer however I'm going to Progressive Nation at terminal 5 (the second night) and Rush at jones beach.

sorry for the spelling and punctuation, I've never really been good at that.

If anyone could tell me some things not to do when I join this forum that would be great because I'm sort of new to this whole thing and don't really want to piss any guys off here that have high authority...

thanks,
Mike.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 00:22
Hey! I'm also a Mike!

Welcome! I'm sure you'll fit in well here... you actually sound too much like me, my tastes being more or less the same when I started here (and I was a goalie for 13 years, looking to get back into it), you sure you're not a clone? Btw, awesome concerts, I'm going to see Rush for the second time this summer. If you've never been you'll certainly be blown away.

How to not piss off the admins? Search anything in the "search topics" bar before you start a new thread, seems to be about the biggest thing that annoys people is a thread that's been started a million times before. Other than that just use common sense.

Anyways, welcome and enjoy!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 00:30
Don't ask people what pisses them off, that's what really pisses people off, just kidding.
Enjoy yourself, when I first came on here I was so annoying and I pissed off a few folks, but I guess all is forgiven now except I still wonder about the mysterious computer viruses, just kidding again.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 00:30
Whoa I was at that Dream Theater concert. It was my second time seeing them after the Score performance at Radio City.

If you act like a decent person, I'm sure no one will get angry. Just no personal insults, nothing racist or overly sexual. You know...just public decency. Other than that I'm sure you'll get along well here.
Welcome to the site!
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 00:39
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

evil eye is a good song.

that it is

Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

If anyone could tell me some things not to do when I join this forum that would be great because I'm sort of new to this whole thing and don't really want to piss any guys off here that have high authority...

thanks,
Mike.

just show courtesy and respect for other people and their tastes, which I'm sure you would've anyway  ..nice to have you

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 01:02
Good taste in prog, and I'm into the shred scene as well. I love Satch, Vai, Buckethead, Becker, and of course, you can't forget Becker's buddy in Cacophony, Marty Friedman (oh and check out the thread in General Discussions, Best Guitarist-Technique and Speed).
I saw DT on their first Australian tour ever last month, absolutely amazing showThumbs%20Up
Lastly, Welcome aboard and enjoy yourself in ProgarchivesBig%20smile
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 06:29
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Whoa I was at that Dream Theater concert. It was my second time seeing them after the Score performance at Radio City.

If you act like a decent person, I'm sure no one will get angry. Just no personal insults, nothing racist or overly sexual. You know...just public decency. Other than that I'm sure you'll get along well here.
Welcome to the site!
True dat!

Welcome newbie. Get yourself a cool avatar, one which screams sex appeal. Like mine.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 12:38
thanks everybody
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 13:55
Welcome to the site.  I am always happy to see new Rush fans present.  Enjoy your stay.  I am in Red Wings territory, so also a big hockey fan, although I imagine we might butt heads there a bit.  Feel free to drop by the 2007 NHL thread in general discussions.  Generally, I find myself talking to myself there so it is nice to have someone to discuss hockey with.

A couple of recommendations to you in the Rush arena would be Fates Warning and Tiles.  If you haven't heard these two bands you should check them out. 
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:02
Don't really like your taste and don't you are very welcome with those tastes so, sorry... Just kidding I'm new here too in a certain way and no problem with punctuation or spelling cause I am the lord of no punctuations and spelling mistakes lol. Well have a good time here, you can have fun in some forums and even you can have fun making polls of your fave albums or bands...etc. Welcome to PA.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:03
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Welcome to the site.  I am always happy to see new Rush fans present.  Enjoy your stay.  I am in Red Wings territory, so also a big hockey fan, although I imagine we might butt heads there a bit.  Feel free to drop by the 2007 NHL thread in general discussions.  Generally, I find myself talking to myself there so it is nice to have someone to discuss hockey with.

A couple of recommendations to you in the Rush arena would be Fates Warning and Tiles.  If you haven't heard these two bands you should check them out. 

I guess we might be friends but enemies at the same time considering I am an Avalanche fan LOL.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:09

You should get along well with Proletariat then.  He is an Avs fan as well. Dead The Wings-Avs rivalry hasn't been as exciting in recent years. Hopefully, Monday's game with the multiple fights, and the Avs player injuring Wing's captain Lidstrom Ouch will add a bit of fuel to the fire. 

P.S. At least you have good taste in music. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:33

You should get along well with Proletariat then.  He is an Avs fan as well. Dead The Wings-Avs rivalry hasn't been as exciting in recent years. Hopefully, Monday's game with the multiple fights, and the Avs player injuring Wing's captain Lidstrom Ouch will add a bit of fuel to the fire. 

P.S. At least you have good taste in music. Wink

I agree, I'd like to see some action...and I'd like to see the Avs actually put the puck past a red wings goalie..something they haven't done in the past 3 games against the wings Cry. Maybe when Sakic is back.

Also, I wanted to know..considering this summer will be my first rush show...how many songs do you think they will play off a new album?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:51
On last year's tour they played 7 or 8 of the songs from Snakes and Arrows, including all 3 instrumentals.  My guess is that on this tour they might drop a couple of those songs and replace them with some older songs, but that would be a guess.  The new songs sounded really good in a live setting, although the crowd was getting a bit restless because they started their 2nd set with 5 in a row from S & A, and I think most of the audience would have preferred to hear their older stuff. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:55

On last year's tour they played 7 or 8 of the songs from Snakes and Arrows, including all 3 instrumentals.  My guess is that on this tour they might drop a couple of those songs and replace them with some older songs, but that would be a guess.  The new songs sounded really good in a live setting, although the crowd was getting a bit restless because they started their 2nd set with 5 in a row from S & A, and I think most of the audience would have preferred to hear their older stuff. 

thank you Smile!

I hope they play a passage to bangkok, I heard they played it as the encore for last years tour...it would be amazing if they played it again.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 15:05
They did play it during the encore and it was really cool.  One of my favorites from them.  They always like to dust off a couple of oldies that haven't been played for awhile, so it will be interesting to see which gems they pull out of retirement next year.  I think that I would really like to hear Bastille Day from Caress of Steel. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 15:17

They did play it during the encore and it was really cool.  One of my favorites from them.  They always like to dust off a couple of oldies that haven't been played for awhile, so it will be interesting to see which gems they pull out of retirement next year.  I think that I would really like to hear Bastille Day from Caress of Steel. 

bastille day is also one of my favorites by them..I like how they added that, bangkok, and anthem to the R30 overture...that was the perfect mix of songs in my opinion.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 18:03
I was a newbie once.. seems like a lifetime ago.. in fact ... it was

Welcome to the site Mike.  Things not to do at PA's... hmmmm...

the fun is figuring them out for yourself hahhaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply