Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEdensong (Eclectic)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edensong (Eclectic)
    Posted: February 26 2008 at 20:35
This BIO is taken straight from the band;s myspace page, so I lay no claim to originality here, but it IS the best band bio of them I could find, I just didn;t write it.

Edensong formed officially in the Fall of 2002, however the band's beginnings are rather nebulous, and much of its current music has older roots. The story began when guitarist/singer James Byron Schoen and drummer Matt Cozin, two students at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, first met coincidentally at a Dream Theater concert. The two discovered a similar interest in music and decided to jam together as a change of pace from Matts tenure in pop-punk band Closeminded and Jamess brief solo acoustic career. The duo was soon joined by Jamess lifelong friend and high school band-mate, guitarist Ben Wigler (currently of Arizona). The three started immediately to craft new songs and revive old material from James and Bens previous band Echoes of Eden. However, it wasnt long before the weekly commute to band practice from NY to CT (aided by one hefty speeding ticket) proved too much trouble for Ben, and the lineup quickly disintegrated.
    James and Matt regrouped the following semester with a clear goal in mind: to create and perform a 3 hour surrealistic psuedo-rock-opera, a flashy and self-indulgent excuse to showcase the band's music. By this point, James's concept of the band had expanded to include a small group of orchestral players. After a brief search and auditioning process, the duo added fellow students: bassist Ian Carbone, flautist Aurora Maoz, and violinist/keyboardist Asa Sourdiffe. In April of 2003, the group, still under the earlier name Echoes of Eden, performed the show "Beyond Eden" with funding from the university. The massively ambitious interactive production, featuring the band (joined onstage by background vocalist Ben Doleac), a troupe of actors, a small choir, an African drumming ensemble, and a lawn of astroturf installed inside a historic frat-house, was on the whole under-rehearsed and performed in a less than ideal environment, but nevertheless gave the band some positive local notoriety and opened the door for the band to play some more traditional live shows. Not everyone in the lineup responded kindly to the intense rehearsal schedule and over-the-top antics that the "Beyond Eden" project demanded, so, at the beginning of the following academic year, the band replaced Aurora and Asa with current Edensong members Rachel Kiel on flute, and Mike Drucker on violin. This five-piece lineup continued to play throughout the following year. The band began work on their debut full length album "The Fruit Fallen" in summer 2004. With the addition of Arthur Sugden on piano and organ, and the unexpected trade of bassist Ian Carbone for the mysterious T.D. Towers, the current Edensong lineup was born. Recorded primarily in James's personal Den of Depression studios (with some offsite recording at Ben Wigler's Cottage of Calamity studios and overdubs at Wesleyan U.), the album features new material, completed songs from James, Ben, and Matt's original collaborations in Fall '02, and reworkings of James's primarily acoustic music. Given the luxury of time and full creative freedom, Edensong was able to pay careful attention to the fine details of the music and handcraft the album true to its original concept. Portions of "The Fruit Fallen," along with a live performance at the universitys most prestigious concert hall, earned James departmental honors at his May 2005 graduation. The band is currently putting some finishing touches on the album, which is due out in early 2007, and is anxiously awaiting the next step.

Edensong should be included because they are, simply put, absolutely incredible musicians with an original sound marrying Heavy Prog, Symphonic rock, Prog Folk and Avant/RIO style music and somehow, it just works. And it works very well. If any band is deserving of a spot on this website, it is Edensong, unsigned or not. Jethro Tull meets Dream Theater meets Yes. It's amazing-sounding stuff.

Official site: edensongtheband.com

Official Myspace: myspace.com/edensong
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 01:34

*bump*

If any of the bands I have recommended lately, I think Edensong should definately be sumbitted into the archives. They have everything that a traditional prog-head loves: long songs, odd times sigs, complicated song structures, vocal harmonies, avant-garde instrument experimentation, high-class technical ability from the musicians.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 01:55
I believe a band can only be added when they release an album.

The music I heard is outstanding, too many things going on for just one genre, but have they released an album?

Iván

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 02:08
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I believe a band can only be added when they release an album.

The music I heard is outstanding, too many things going on for just one genre, but have they released an album?

Iván

Yes, just not professionally, under a label or anything.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 02:17
If they have released OFFICIALLY an album, I see no problem.

Iván

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 02:29
I thought unsigned bands were considered on this site, are you saying they are not?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 15:23
*bump*. Again, I ask . . . was I wrong in that assumption?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 18:43
Bump again.

I think this band is good enough to be included, if only the thread would stay visible long enough for the right team to give them a listen.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 19:23
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Bump again.

I think this band is good enough to be included, if only the thread would stay visible long enough for the right team to give them a listen.

Please, not everybody is a native English speaker, so please be clear because I don't know what unsigned means and their site is not clear.

HAVE THEY RELEASED AN ALBUM THAT IS AVAILLABLE FOR THE PUBLIC????????????

If yes (doesn't matter who sells it, if in stores or only online), they can be added...If not, they can't...As simple as that.

BTW: Heard their music (don't know if it's an album yet) in Aural Moon, and Symphonic it isn't (At least not exclusively or primarilly), has some elements but it's mixed with Metal and Folk, even some thrash elements and Post Rock.

They are Prog, there's no doubt about it, but if they describe themselves as a ORCHESTRAL PROGRESSIVE METAL BAND ( http://www.purevolume.com/edensong and in their own site ), there's little room for anything that isn't Prog Metal, where I don't believe they fit perfectly, but again, it isn't my call

So I believe that if they have released an album, they could be added to ECLECTIC, but that team has the call.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 15 2008 at 19:33

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 19:57
up to EcProg Team but from the samples I'd agree Eclectic would be a good fit if the band becomes eligible, even reminding of other EcProggers like the Tangent  
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 20:44
I think there is some precedent for admitting bands who are not signed but have albums available for download.  I know of at least one (Chrysalide), but I would think there are others.

What I can't figure out is how to actually get Edensong's album.  I checked the Amazon link from their web site and Amazon doesn't offer the album, nor could I find any links for download or purchase it on their mySpace page, home page or the purevolume site.  So I would think they would be eligible for inclusion if they actually have an album, but where is it?

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I think there is some precedent for admitting bands who are not signed but have albums available for download.  I know of at least one (Chrysalide), but I would think there are others.

What I can't figure out is how to actually get Edensong's album.  I checked the Amazon link from their web site and Amazon doesn't offer the album, nor could I find any links for download or purchase it on their mySpace page, home page or the purevolume site.  So I would think they would be eligible for inclusion if they actually have an album, but where is it?

Yes, I also tried the Itunes link and doesn't work wither.

I believe Amazon and Itunes placed their banners in Edensong's site, just as they place it here, even when they don't have a clue if they carry the band.

What I wan't to know is why the starter of this thread placed the phrase They didn't released in a label or proffesionally, one thing is a band that self released an album and another one is a group of musicians making an amateur recording.

Their site is ambiguous.

Even when the music is very good, I don't kow if the album is availlable at all or if it's only a promotional demo.

Iván.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 22:23
This was a message on their MySpace page.  It appears that an album is completed.   The message was dated December 30th, and referred to the album being officially released in 3 months.  So if it isn't released, it seems that it might be shortly.

The Fruit Fallen is Done!
Category: Music

Greetings Old Friends,

While 2007 may have passed us by without a single post to the Edensong Collective, I assure you it has been anything but an uneventful year for the band. Though I had initially hoped to break this news to you two years ago, it is still with great pleasure that I announce the completion of "The Fruit Fallen": Over 70 minutes of original music spread across eight (or more?) songs and the culmination of over three years of work. Here's the track listing:

1) Water Run

2) The Baptism

3) Reflection

4) The Prayer

5) Nocturne

6) The Sixth Day

7) One Breath to Breathe

8) The Reunion

The album was finished on Halloween this year with the assistance of expert mastering engineer Bob Katz in Orlando, and the finished product far exceeds any expectations I may have set for myself when I first embarked upon this massive musical journey.

While the official CD release is still a few months off, I'd like to treat you all to an exclusive sneak peak. Between now and the official release (details pending), I'll post a new cut from the album on the Edensong myspace page www.myspace.com/edensong whenever the mood strikes me. Be sure to check back frequently, as each song will make only a brief appearance. I posted the album's first track "Water Run" this evening, so feel free check it out. As always, I'd love to get your feedback on music, life etc., so please don't hesitate to send an e-mail to [email protected] if you have anything to say. Thanks for your continued interest and support, even through twelve months of zero correspondence on my part. I'll be sure to keep you posted as new updates become available, so stay tuned. Best of luck in 2008! I hope this coming year marks Edensong's return to live performance. Until then…

-James

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 22:33

Good discovery Rushfan.

But since the site hasn't announced it with firecrackers, most probably will have to wait a bit yet.

Iván

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 02:05
This doesn't make sense . . . I am almost positive that they had an album available at one time. Very confusing, indeed.

Ivan: I am sorry, all I meant by unofficially was that Edensong doesn't have a professional record deal, and their album is self-released, but still available to the public to buy, at least I thought it was. ;(

In either case, the new album should come out soon, so let's all remember who they are until that time, haha.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

This doesn't make sense . . . I am almost positive that they had an album available at one time. Very confusing, indeed.

Ivan: I am sorry, all I meant by unofficially was that Edensong doesn't have a professional record deal, and their album is self-released, but still available to the public to buy, at least I thought it was. ;(

In either case, the new album should come out soon, so let's all remember who they are until that time, haha.

I agree, the material is very good, but until they officially release an album, nothing can be done.

I remember the case of Anton Roolaart, he sent me his debut album on April 18, 2007, but even when I had the album and loved it from the start, wasn't able (by own decision) to add him until the morning of the official release on April, 24, 2007, when we were the first site to have Anton Roolaart on his debut day and to have a review of "Dreamer".

I don't have doubts about EDENSONG, the problem was in the genre, too Metalic and Post Rock, to be Symphonic, too Symphonic to be Prog Metal or Post Rock and two Post Rock to be Prog Metal or Symphonic.

It's great that David already gave his opinion about Eclectic, because it's an advance, the band is incredibly good, I enjoyed the music I heard, was ready to buy it because I still have a gift certificate fromn HT since my part birthday (thanks again buddy) but neither ITunes or Amazon had it, despite the links in EDENSONG'S MySpace page.

Good luck, EDENSONG deserves to be here.

Iván

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 16:01
Thanks, Ivan. :) In case other folks forget about them, I will keep an eye out for the release date of their album, and when it is available, I will let progarchives know.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 03:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Good discovery Rushfan.

But since the site hasn't announced it with firecrackers, most probably will have to wait a bit yet.

Iván

That's not completely true, Ivan. We've added a couple of bands over the past few months 'pending their album release'. J'Accuse is a good example: they've been here since December, and their album will be available on April 5th. It took a bit longer due to production problems, otherwise it would've been available in February.

Anyway, glad to see Edensong will end up on the site in due time. Nice find, p0mt3!

EDIT: by the way, they have an amazingly well done web site!

Edited by Angelo - March 28 2008 at 03:30
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 04:54
Just got an e-mail from the band - the album is out now. Can we put them in Ecletic? I'd be more than happy to take care of the addition if people are too busy with other activities (like summer holidays and so on)...

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 05:04
^ Yep, apparently the album can be ordered on CDBaby.

I've listened to as much music as possible, gave my personal yes vote for Eclectic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>