Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Canterbury Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Canterbury Appreciation Thread
    Posted: February 27 2008 at 09:54
Seems that most other genres have their own appreciation thread, and since this is rapidly becoming my favorite genre, I wanted to create a little space on this forum for all to express their admiration for all the great bands of this genre.  There's an excellent tutorial done by Chameleon that everyone should check out:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44283

that has sort of become what I intend this thread to be, but I thought it might be more appropriate to have the "love-in" in the proper section.

I'll kick it off by saying right now I'm enjoying the hell out of Hatfield and the North, I have both their records now and they are absolutely stunning.  But please feel free to discuss any and all things Canterbury!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:48
I love both the Hatfields' records (and there are more out, only not easy to find through regular channels), with a preference for their second album, the marvellous The Rotters' Club. Being a big Richard Sinclair fan, I can't help preferring them to the equally great National Health (whom I found to be more musically complex in some ways). I have a particularly soft spot for the ultra-infectious "Share It" - one of the best examples of authentic 'prog-pop'.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:51
I think Richard Sinclair has one of the best voices in prog.  I'm listening to The Rotter's Club now - can't decide which of the two I prefer, I think they're both equally stunning.

Edited by NaturalScience - February 27 2008 at 10:52
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:55
That he does... I don't know if you've seen the Camel videos where he sings - he's absolutely amazing, with the clarity of his uniquely English enunciation, and that perfect low pitch he has. Pity he seems to be forgotten every time the 'best prog singer' is mentionedUnhappy - even in favour of such people as LaBrie.  I know you like DT, Pat, but you have to admit there is simply no comparison. And he can play a mean bass too...
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:02
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

That he does... I don't know if you've seen the Camel videos where he sings - he's absolutely amazing, with the clarity of his uniquely English enunciation, and that perfect low pitch he has. Pity he seems to be forgotten every time the 'best prog singer' is mentionedUnhappy - even in favour of such people as LaBrie.  I know you like DT, Pat, but you have to admit there is simply no comparison. And he can play a mean bass too...

Well, that sort of thing happens with a lot of the prog polls (singer, drummer, etc.) - you get the same "usual suspects" over and over again - but I've been thrilled to expand my horizons and discover all these great musicians and fantastic records.  I actually wasn't aware of his involvement with Camel, I'll have to hunt for those clips sometime.

I'm also convinced I pretty much need to grab any and all works involving Dave Stewart.  Clap
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:19
As regards Camel, Richard Sinclair plays on Rain Dances and Breathless (which I reviewed some ten days ago) and on part of A Live Record. The latter is especially recommended if you want to hear some great Sinclair vocals, though in Camel he was sadly underused. BTW; the clips can be found on Camel's page here.

As regards Dave Stewart, get Khan's only album Space Shanty (probably Canterbury's heaviest record), and those by Egg. Check their entries here for further info - I'm notoriously inaccurate.LOL

Edited by Ghost Rider - February 27 2008 at 11:19
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:50
Be careful with Dave Stewart's debut work with Barbara Gaskin though, Pat.  I hope you like pop covers, like It's My Party.  Check out YouTube if you want to laugh hysterically at Dave, Barbara and Pip Pyle in the halcyon days of the 1980s.  Bad hair and fashion included!

Oh and he plays a keytar... never a good thing, in my opinion.

As for Hatfield and the North, I still somehow have yet to get the second of the extra material albums.  I have a signed copy of Hatwise Choice (well, Sinclair and Phil Miller).

I've also seen H&tN live, with Pip Pyle and got to meet Richard Sinclair.  He's an extraordinarily nice chap and is a tiny bit eccentric, but in a good way.  He reminds me a bit of a cross between Vic Reeves and Graeme Garden.

You cannot go wrong with Egg and Khan though.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:57
My latest Canterbury dreamboat is Cos' Viva Boma. An album of a more funky, less lyrical Canterbury form - experimental and frequently goofy but anchored by care-free musicians. Maybe I'll review it later today - it needs far more than the three it has right now.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:02
I was expecting you to mention Picchio dal Pozzo. Wink
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:13
PdP remain neato, but Cos get even less attention!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:20
Just looked at their entry in our database... They do sound interesting indeed!Thumbs%20Up I know Supersister, who are another superb band, and sound very much like the 'real thing'. I was so lucky as to find their first two albums in a 2-CD package for only €10. Great bargain, and fantastic music!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:42
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Be careful with Dave Stewart's debut work with Barbara Gaskin though, Pat.  I hope you like pop covers, like It's My Party.  Check out YouTube if you want to laugh hysterically at Dave, Barbara and Pip Pyle in the halcyon days of the 1980s.  Bad hair and fashion included!

Funny that TLC just posted a link to that...it was 80s-tastic!  Love the keytar.  LOL
But you're right, I won't be in a hurry to grab that record...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:53
Cos is terrific.  As well as Viva Boma, I also like Postaeolian Train Robbery very much.  Canterbury Scene is definitely one of my favourite categories here.  I haven't bought any new albums in quite a long time, which is good in a way since it's given me the chance to revisit many albums.

The Canterbury Scene album I've been returning to most of late is John Greaves, Peter Blegvad, and Lisa Herman's Kew Rhône, and for when I want to rock out, Khan's Space Shanty.  Still return to various Robert Wyatt stuff (solo and Matching mole particularly), Gong, and Picchio dal Pozzo often, but not much else from the scene recently.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:00
In my searches on various websites, it seems like a new batch (or pressing, etc.) of Khan's Space Shanty is due in March - at least according to cdzone.co.uk, where I got Caravan's "If I could..." for a very reasonable price, even after getting killed on the exchange rate (weak dollar).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:32
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by James James wrote:

Funny that TLC just posted a link to that...it was 80s-tastic!  Love the keytar.  LOL
But you're right, I won't be in a hurry to grab that record...

I meant solo, not debut, but yes, it's not my cup of cocoa.  I do believe it was Pip Pyle on drums too.

Which video did you see?  There's two you see, there's the Top of the Pops one and the actual video that came out at the time. WinkLOL
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:39

Canterbury rocks,yeah baby.Thumbs%20Up

Still got to hear a lot of it,Supersister,cos,picchio dal pozzo.

Khans Space shanty is a great album.Love the first track where that nice sounding space guitar creeps in for a few minutes.Cannot say which is the better of the two Hatfield and the north albums,like them both far tooo.....much.

Just got the Quiet sun album,Mainstream.Sorta like national health,but much heavier sounding.

Don't forget caravans first album released on verve,probably one of the most important pieces of proto-prog ever released.Grandma's lawn and Where but for caravan would I? are really great tracks that are heading towards full on canterbury style prog.1968 was indeed a good year.LOL

Great idea having a canterbury appreciation thread.ClapThankyou.Thumbs%20Up
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:49
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Great idea having a canterbury appreciation thread.ClapThankyou.Thumbs%20Up

My pleasure!  Tongue

James has mentioned Quiet Sun to me, and I must look into them as well.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 17:02
Indeed, splendid idea for a thread. As many have already stated, one of my favourite subs, not only because of the intermingling between Henry Cow and the Canterbury scene, but because of the light heart humourous attitude they take to their music.

I'm not really sure where to start with handing out of appreciation, but Egg have always hit a soft spot with me, the title 'The Polite Force' still amuses me after several years in my possession. And Hatfield's first album took an absolute beating on my turntable after purchasing it from a second had store for a measly $4AUS.

Also I thought  I would take my hat off a little know band from Germany who I tend to catagorise under the Canterbury banner. This would be 'Tortilla Flat', who are seemingly Germans response to the English phenomenon. Unfortunately this album has never seen a reissue and is long oop, hence remaining relatively unknown.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 17:27
Hey ScruffyDragon, nice to see a fellow Wiltshire resident on these forums.  That makes three us now!  Nice to see you know your Canterbury too.  Good stuff.

NS, Quiet Sun are like a symphonic jazz/fusion, it's very tasty and full of wonderful riffs.  If you like them, then you may also like the extremely rare and hard-to-find Kandahar.  Their two albums are great.  Not particularly derivative, but again, there's some wonderful foot-tapping moments of greatness.

I still have Cos and Supersister to check out.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:09
Just ordered National Health "Complete" and Khan "Space Shanty"!  Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>