Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMichigan Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these bands have you heard and would recommend?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [26.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
1 [6.67%]
3 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michigan Progressive Rock
    Posted: March 01 2008 at 13:03

Michigan may not necessarily be a hot bed of progressive rock music, since it is better known for Motown, and for rockers like Bob Seger and Ted Nugent, and rappers like Kid Rock and Eminem, but each of the above bands calls Michigan home, or at least has a strong connection to Michigan.  Which of these bands have you heard of and would you recommend to others?  I have allowed for multiple votes so you can vote for more than one band.  My hope is that for any of the bands that you mark you will also provide a description of your thoughts on the band and to whom you might recommend them to.  I am hoping that this thread will bring some recognition to some lesser known bands and might bring some active discussion and might help others discover some music that they might not have otherwise discovered.  So post often and actively and try to help me keep this thread from becoming yet another ghost thread that settles harmlessly to the bottom of the barrel of threads.  I have left open another 11 poll choices in knowing that I have probably missed some other bands with Michigan connections so please feel free to suggest them to me so that I might add them.

Below are some links to these bands webpages or MySpace pages so that you might be able to sample them.

Acuity http://www.projectacuity.com/MainPage.htm   http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1274

Jake Reichbart  http://jakereichbart.com/main.htm

Edited by rushfan4 - March 12 2008 at 20:30
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 13:51
I updated this thread to include the prog subgenres that each of the bands is included in or proposed for. 

Some folks have been clamoring for new or different bands to talk about so here is another chance to talk about some lesser known bands.  Many subgenres are included and if they are not and you know of a Michigan band that fits the bill please let me know so that I can included them.

I think I just stepped on a cricket.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 14:03
Of course I have to recommend Discipline. Acuity is not my favorite, but would be good for someone with heavier tastes. I met Jake Reichbart a couple of weeks ago, and he is going to get me a CD from his band. I have only heard him playing by himself in a restaurant, so I will have to update for the band.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 14:09
Thank you for your response H.T.   I was feeling quite lonely in here. Cry

I read the two reviews on Acuity, with one being a 1 star and one being a 4 star, so a bit hard to gauge.  I suspect that I will probably like them.  I see that Matthew Parmenter plays violin on one of their tracks.

I expected that I might see a Discipline recommendation from you. Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:12
I have added Tin Scribble, another Michigan band to the list.  The guitarist Michael Moore was also the guitarist in House of Usher.

Also, I just found out that Mark Evans was the drummer for House of Usher.  He was also Tiles original drummer, and is back as their current drummer on their new album Fly Paper.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:23
nice  thread Scott.. . Clap  Don't think I've heard of those.. .as soon as I finish this album. I'll take some listens.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:27
This is a neato thread. Perhaps I'll look into Larval and House of Usher.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:31

Time for a couple of other time machine trips.  Lurking around the internet I ran across some links to a Motor City Prog fest in 1999 and a second in 2004.  The 1999 show included Tiles, Discipline, and House of Usher.  The 2004 Prog Fest included Tiles, Eyestrings and Space Nelson.  I am their intended audience but went on with my life merrily uninformed while these events went on.  I am definitely glad that I am going to see Tiles and Discipline next week, but it would be so cool to have a prog festival in this neck of the woods.  According to these fliers there is a prog underground here in the Motor City.

ES335 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:39
Cool thread. I'll check out some of these link later. I know Tiles is at the Magic Bag. Is Discipline on the same bill?
Bible-thumping heavyweight evangelistic boxing kangaroo
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 16:47
Yes.  Discipline is playing with Tiles at the Magic Bag.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:00
Tiles.

Great Band, although their new album is a huge disappointment.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:06
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Tiles.

I really enjoy their new album.  It is too bad to hear that you are disappointed with it.  If I might ask, why is it a huge disappointment?
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:06
I'm going with Larval on this one.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:09
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Tiles.

I really enjoy their new album.  It is too bad to hear that you are disappointed with it.  If I might ask, why is it a huge disappointment?

There is nothing new to offer. There is no way it is as good as Presents of Mind, or there are no stand out tracks like there are on Window Dressing (title track)

Plus, the Alex guest appearance was wasted. Tiles needs to learn from Porcupine Tree on how to have Alex use his ability. Ouch

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:26

Tiles.

There is nothing new to offer. There is no way it is as good as Presents of Mind, or there are no stand out tracks like there are on Window Dressing (title track)

Plus, the Alex guest appearance was wasted. Tiles needs to learn from Porcupine Tree on how to have Alex use his ability. Ouch

Interesting.  I agree with you that it isn't as good as Presents of Mind, which is an awesome album.  No long epics like Window Dressing.  They needed to add a minute and a half to Hide and Seek to get it to 10 minutes and then we could talk epic. Wink  I think that Sacred and Mundane is a pretty good song, but Alex's contribution is hardly recognizable in comparison to his contribution to PT, but it is still a good song.  Landscrape and Hide and Seek are good songs as well but I suppose that none of them really are stand out tracks.  Oh well, I guess it is too bad that you don't enjoy the new album as much as I do, but at least you do like the band and their other releases so that is great.Clap
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:33
you guys, please. to be determined #5 owns everything else on this list.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:35
Are they even Prog?????
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:37
^^ they're way to good to be called prog, dude. Some people do, but I wouldn't.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:42

Tiles.

Interesting.  I agree with you that it isn't as good as Presents of Mind, which is an awesome album.  No long epics like Window Dressing.  They needed to add a minute and a half to Hide and Seek to get it to 10 minutes and then we could talk epic. Wink  I think that Sacred and Mundane is a pretty good song, but Alex's contribution is hardly recognizable in comparison to his contribution to PT, but it is still a good song.  Landscrape and Hide and Seek are good songs as well but I suppose that none of them really are stand out tracks.  Oh well, I guess it is too bad that you don't enjoy the new album as much as I do, but at least you do like the band and their other releases so that is great.Clap

Oh- for sure! Tongue

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 11:24
I have added Northwind, a band from my hometown of Sterling Heights to my list.  Here is their biography from their website:

The original Northwind band was founded in 1968 by Roland Ernest and Jan Stepka.
They were inspired originally by bands such as the Doors, Cream, the Moody Blues,
the Beatles, and Procol Harum.

Northwind was later heavily influenced by ELP, Yes, King Crimson, and Genesis. Echoes of these styles are found in the Distant Shores recordings.

The band went through four membership changes. The first incarnation had drummer Steve White.
In 1970 they created and performed an original rock opera entitled “Looking Back.”
In 1972 they recorded an untitled demo album featuring the song “Last Day at Lokun.”

Tom Iacaboni replaced Steve White on drums when Steve left the band to pursue the guitar.
In 1974 Tom, Jan and Roland recorded the world famous (in collectors' circles) Northwind demo album in Roland's family's basement. This album is often erroneously referred to as “Woods of Zandor.”

Tom was at heart a jazz drummer, and when he left Tim Cahill joined on drums and percussion.
For a short period, Bob Pascoe contributed his rock guitar to Northwind's sound.
Northwind then performed mostly in clubs and created a reputation in Canada. This period largely had the band playing covers of other rock bands' material.

In 1977 returning to original music, Roland took over guitars and the band added the talents of Rob Foster on wind instruments. In 1978 the band recorded their magnum opus “Distant Shores” in Roland's family's basement in Sterling Heights, Michigan.
One song, “Just Yesterday,” was released as part of a local radio station's compilation of Detroit area bands' music entitled “Home Grown.”

Tim Cahill's religious calling conflicted with his perception of the rock and roll lifestyle leading him to leave secular musical performing. Howard Wells joined the band on drums and percussion for rehearsals while Roland and the band's manager Ron Geddish vainly persued a record contract.

Northwind broke up in 1978 largely because of this failure. In the end, the
“Distant Shores” songs were never performed outside of Roland's basement.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>