Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe most musically complex prog band(s)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 14:23
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I'm beginning to feel a little despondent. Whenever I mention Discus or Kenso in one of these threads, I get no response at all. People just carry on chatting about some of the more familiar (usually Anglo-Saxon) prog acts, such as VDGG, Gentle Giant or Zappa. Of course there's nothing wrong with any of their music, which I myself enjoy a great deal. It's pretty complex as well. I just find it terribly frustrating that no one's interested in two of the most exciting prog bands active today, just because they're from eastern Asia! I wish some act of God would catapult either Discus or (especially) Kenso into Prog Archives' Top 50. If you look at quality alone, they fully deserve to be there.

Well, just saw this thread now, and I agree that Discus is fantastic and quite complex.  I saw Kenso at Nearfest 2005, and while I thought their performance was fantastic, I didn't think they were anymore complex or challenging than more well known fusion outfits (though the less challenging.....for me, anyway....aspect probably helped me enjoy the show more).

Still, considering Frank Zappa wrote compositions on the Synclavier that were unplayable by human musicians (many of them, anyway) I think he gets the prize :-)  But were they music?  Hmm, opinions will certainly vary on that.  They were scored using musical notation, so I'm betting they were music even if a relatively few people will be able to hear it as such.  For the record, I'm not really one of those people.  But some of the pieces on Civilization Phase III are incredibly complex and intricate musical compositions.  Whether they are enjoyable or not depends more on your analytical music listening skills than on "gut feelings" or traditional concepts of melody and tempo.

I always felt Gentle Giant could win the most complex prog sweepstakes, but the more I've listened to them over the years, the more I've realized that the individual parts of each player are quite often not complex at all..........but the intertwining of each part (which are all either different, or off set rhythmically from the other parts) is what gives that impressive of extreme complexity.  But then, I suppose that makes the overall composition pretty complex.

In any case, complexity in music really depends on the listening skills of the listener, as well as the skills of the band members.  I'm sure Camel did some things in the 70's that they thought were quite complex at the time, but which Return To Forever would probably consider quite simple.

magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 15:51
In my eyes, Gentle Giant are(were) the most complex prog band
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 15:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I'm beginning to feel a little despondent. Whenever I mention Discus or Kenso in one of these threads, I get no response at all. People just carry on chatting about some of the more familiar (usually Anglo-Saxon) prog acts, such as VDGG, Gentle Giant or Zappa. Of course there's nothing wrong with any of their music, which I myself enjoy a great deal. It's pretty complex as well. I just find it terribly frustrating that no one's interested in two of the most exciting prog bands active today, just because they're from eastern Asia! I wish some act of God would catapult either Discus or (especially) Kenso into Prog Archives' Top 50. If you look at quality alone, they fully deserve to be there.

I didn't  "chat on about some of the more familiar prog acts"

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Unexpect's In a Flesh Aquarium is pretty intricate, also Dave Kermann's stuff and a little known Japanese band called Flat 122

..and one of the bands I mentioned is Japanese  ...so HAH !!

HAH!!!!  hahhahaha..  you go David. LOLClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 16:10
Ok.  Which band is the most complex band you ever heard AND enjoyed?  GENTLE GIANT WINS!!!!!!
Erpland316 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 17:13
We can end this debate by all listening to Birds of Fire or Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra!
"Science is all metaphor"-Timothy Leary

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/martin.jones10/amonpic.jpg">[IMG]http://imagegen.last.fm/red/artists/Yeti316.gif">
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 17:15
Or by listening to On the Third Day .. or Face the Music.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 18:07
+Or Octopus, Free Hand, or In a Glass House!!!!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 18:21
Originally posted by Erpland316 Erpland316 wrote:

We can end this debate by all listening to Birds of Fire or Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra!

as complex as these albums may be I don't consider them to be the high point of complexity, not even on their own jazz-rock territory (lhough they are of course very complex), and on other territories there are in my opinion much more complex works

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 18:24
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Japa-zeuhl is über complex. 

Agreed, but for sheer mind shredding complexity I think Science Group would probably beat all comers on this site, with the possible exception of Zappa's Yellow Shark.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 19:21
Clown Okay, so this probably isn't the thread to offer up Lawrence Welk, Boxcar Willie, Slim Whitman, or the Sex Pistols for consideration?Wink

Sheesh!!! How elitist of us!!!LOL

There are so many technically brilliant bands...
But by complex, does it have to mean "busy"?
Is this a question of notes per second, movements within a song, polyrhythms, changing keys or time signatures, non-western tuning systems....  All of the above?

Underlying shades and tones like maybe "Awaken" or "Turn of the Century" by Yes, or "The Accolade" by Symphony X seem very complex...
Dream Theater's "Dance of Eternity" is busy and complex.
Allan Holdsworth is always full of complex subtleties...
Some of David Sylvian's music is very subtly complex...
It's funny, I've been a pro musician for 30 years, and sometimes these questions leave me at a loss.
I just don't know how to answer them.
Plus, I'm sure there are a whole host of bands that I've never even heard (yet!) that might qualify in "the most complex" of prog music...

Allow me to just shut up now before I embarrass myself further...

Edited by Cylli Kat - March 05 2008 at 19:24
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 19:40
Well the most complex bands that I like (i know there are some metal bands out there that are pretty insane, but i dont listen to them!) would be any of the following:

Gentle Giant
Al Di Meola (elegant gypsy?)
Jean-Luc Ponty
and some ELP (tarkus?)
and ofcourse; Mahavishnu Orchestra!!!

One-Eyed Joker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 20:56
NEVER GIVE UP ON A BAND!  If you don't understand them at first, dont stop listening to it.  In due time, you will probably begin to enjoy it.  In my early prog days, i hated Gentle Giant and Van Der Graaf Generator, but now they're some of my favorite bands (im sure every proghead says that).  It makes me sad to think that i would have missed such incredible music if i had given up on it.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Or by listening to On the Third Day .. or Face the Music.

ELO? Their music is very layered in the studio, but as far as the music itself, not really.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 02:16
meshuggah. i dont, and probably will never be able to understand how they play those ployrythms in those insane time sigs with such mindblowing ease. they are always dead on!! surely they much lose count or rhythm sometime durring a live show? and yet, they dont. their song/EP "I' is incredibly complex.
And  big nod to Behold. . . The Arctopus.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 04:15
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

meshuggah. i dont, and probably will never be able to understand how they play those ployrythms in those insane time sigs with such mindblowing ease. they are always dead on!! surely they much lose count or rhythm sometime durring a live show? and yet, they dont. their song/EP "I' is incredibly complex.

it is simply a matter of counting. when you study Indian percussion the first thing you learn is counting. in this video at about 2:05 and again at 6:13 Trilok Gurtu demonstrates the counting technique (though he keeps it simple there).
the Indian school of rhythms, the so-called "tala tarangini" is very complex; the basics of it are explained on the cover of the Embryo album "Life with the Karnataka College of Percussion" (which has an incredibly low rating, probably because the only 2 people rating it so far did not understand it at all; I have to review it), the technique can be heard in great detail on that album; the Karnataka College of percussion demonstrates it in all its complexity

Edited by BaldJean - March 06 2008 at 04:20

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 04:58
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

it is simply a matter of counting. when you study Indian percussion the first thing you learn is counting. in this video at about 2:05 and again at 6:13 Trilok Gurtu demonstrates the counting technique (though he keeps it simple there).
the Indian school of rhythms, the so-called "tala tarangini" is very complex; the basics of it are explained on the cover of the Embryo album "Life with the Karnataka College of Percussion" (which has an incredibly low rating, probably because the only 2 people rating it so far did not understand it at all; I have to review it), the technique can be heard in great detail on that album; the Karnataka College of percussion demonstrates it in all its complexity

I have had some experience of South Indian music (I took dancing classes some 20 years ago), and on the basis of that experience I agree 100% with what Jean said in her post. The rhythms can be incredibly complex to Western ears, and this is probably the reason for the low rating of the Embryo album.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 05:09
oops, I noted I forgot to post the link to the video I mentioned: here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQuD1DSkk8U
the passages I meant start at 2:05 and 6:13
by the way, at least parts of the video were shot in Cologne, where Friede and I live; you can see Katja and Mireille Labeque exiting from a subway station and get a good view of the Cologne cathedral there, an unmistakable building (which, by the way, was the highest building in the world before the Eiffeltower was built)

Edited by BaldJean - March 06 2008 at 05:16

Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 09:25
you rock.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 10:58
Fuxi wrote :

Thanks, Omri. If you like Canterbury bands (especially National Health), Bruford (with Dave Stewart, Jeff Berlin and Allan Holdsworth), Brand X and Steve Hackett's better solo albums, you're bound to enjoy Kenso as well. By the way, doesn't Amazon do deliveries to Israel?

Well, from all you mentioned I only have Nationa health self titled and it is good but a bit too nice for me. I do'nt buy in Amazon cause I go to a real store where the owner is somebody who loves prog and I order from him. It is a chance to talk face to face with a guy who shares my love to the music and that is something quite rare here. More than that, In Israel at least, there were many problems with giving your credit card in the net so I try to avoid that.

Back to discusion - I realy think as Cylly cat wrote that we must explain what we mean by saying complex otherwise it's a dialoge between death people. For example - I have 5 GG albums and realy enjoy them but none of them (Debut. ATT, Octopus, Free hand, IAGH) sounds that complex to me. Maybe I'll agree if you'll explain it to me.
omri
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 16:34
Originally posted by One-Eyed Joker One-Eyed Joker wrote:

NEVER GIVE UP ON A BAND!  If you don't understand them at first, dont stop listening to it.  In due time, you will probably begin to enjoy it.  In my early prog days, i hated Gentle Giant and Van Der Graaf Generator, but now they're some of my favorite bands (im sure every proghead says that).  It makes me sad to think that i would have missed such incredible music if i had given up on it.

You either like something or you don't. I first heard GG, VdGG and Nektar years ago, and I'm not into them. There's no need to 'force' anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>