0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Crane Woman, the Decemberists
    Posted: March 27 2008 at 03:00
Sorry, no goofy spellings here;

I pride myself on albums...NOT taking me there. Which is partly, I believe, why I did not get into Yes; oftentimes it seems that the only defense Yessers have is the fact that the music takes 'em on a trip. I can count the number of bands that have done such a thing to me on one hand: Tull, the Doors, Crimso and perhaps the Floyd. If there's anyone else, well, the effect was never strong enough to take hold.

However...however...the Decemberists have done just that. And they're steadily becoming one of my absolute favorite bands. After hearing The Tain, I knew that I would love this band. Of course, that was only one album, hardly enough to make a decision; so I investigated the mp3s here and some videos on Youtube; I was still pleased.

But with The Crane Wife, the Decemberists have finally pulled me all the way into their world. Not just long enough to share in on a joke, but actually pull me in close to dangerous emotion. And I haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to find it funny; which is too bad, because with The Crane Wife, there's plenty of opportunities for mutant crane jokes.

Best song? I dunno; honestly, aside from "Perfect Crime" and MAYBE "When the War Came," there's no bad track here. But for pure "holy crap" resonance, I'd have to pick the title track. All three parts of it. The third part is probably the best. But it's just so cold, so beautiful, that I really can't say anything more.

The best Jethro Tull album since Heavy Horses indeed.

Edited by The Whistler - March 27 2008 at 03:13
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 07:27
Torn between The Crane Wife 1/2 and The Island. Voted for the latter
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 09:15
I love this album dearly, and I'll toss a coin in for "The Shankhill Butchers".
Not the most "prog" song, obviously, but within th context of this album, it's a wonderfully creepy little ditty.

In fact, I think I'm gonna put this on right now...
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 10:13

Go to sleep now, little ugly

(The Island)

I've become a big fan of Colin Meloy, he is gaining serious ground on the Ian Anderson's, Bob Dylan's, Paul Simon's, Peter Hammill's...his lyrics and songwriting are top notch.

Edited by jimmy_row - March 27 2008 at 10:14
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 13:58
Great album. Tough decision, and though it seems like the obvious choice, I have to pick The Island.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 17:54
I only liked the opener and the island, the other songs just seemed like normal poppy, folky, rock songs
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 01:37
Aw c'mon Schizo, that's just silly. First off, because they're folksy, they're a step above normal, and beyond that, the arrangements on those things secured an "above average" on the poppy level.

Secondly, things like "The Island" and "Tricked as a Brick" and "Supper's Radical" and even (dare I speak its name) "Close to the Fridge" are all basically a bunch of shorter songs jammed together to create a rock suite.

Trust me, I've been hanging out with "normal" people lately, who listen to the radio and everything, and there is nothing like this stuff on normal people radio.

Edited by The Whistler - March 28 2008 at 01:40
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 10:01
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

"Tricked as a Brick" and "Supper's Radical" and even (dare I speak its name) "Close to the Fridge" are all basically a bunch of shorter songs jammed together to create a rock suite.

ay carramba! you'll be sure crucified for that!
MusicalSalmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 12:11
I kinda like The Decemberists. The Island is the best song
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 13:36

Aw c'mon Schizo, that's just silly. First off, because they're folksy, they're a step above normal, and beyond that, the arrangements on those things secured an "above average" on the poppy level.

Secondly, things like "The Island" and "Tricked as a Brick" and "Supper's Radical" and even (dare I speak its name) "Close to the Fridge" are all basically a bunch of shorter songs jammed together to create a rock suite.

Trust me, I've been hanging out with "normal" people lately, who listen to the radio and everything, and there is nothing like this stuff on normal people radio.

Whis, are you kidding me? I go to school with the said "normal people" everyday. I know mainstream rock songs dont sound like anything off the cran wife, but you have to admit, those are some pretty easy listening songs.Wink
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 14:30
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

I know mainstream rock songs dont sound like anything off the cran wife, but you have to admit, those are some pretty easy listening songs.Wink

True, but not necessarily a bad thing!  I like some pretty out-there, unlistenable stuff, but there's something to be said for a really well-crafted song.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 23:12

The decemberists songs dont really interest me though, it seems like all the songs except the island sound alike. I agree though, they're well crafted, they're all well crafted in the same way.

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 23:33
The album was playing in a shop I was at, on repeat.  I did enjoy that one song that had the whirly fast organ/keyboard bit, but then every other song ended up sounding exactly the same.  I just don't see what the big fuss is about.  The singer doesn't really change his melodies much, the music doesn't go much of anywhere or is all that interesting.  If you like it thats cool, but I personally just don't see why they are getting the hype.
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 00:19
Originally posted by 
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Secondly, things like The Island and Tricked as a Brick and Supper's Radical and even (dare I speak its name) Close to the Fridge are all basically a bunch of shorter songs jammed together to create a rock suite. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>[/QUOTE

Secondly, things like The Island and Tricked as a Brick and Supper's Radical and even (dare I speak its name) Close to the Fridge are all basically a bunch of shorter songs jammed together to create a rock suite.

[/QUOTE wrote:

That's awesomeTongue  Can you rewrite the lyrics to match the new titles?  I've been meaning to get the Crane Wife, will move it to the top of the list, I like a well
That's awesomeTongue  Can you rewrite the lyrics to match the new titles?  I've been meaning to get the Crane Wife, will move it to the top of the list, I like a well crafted song.Big%20smile
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 02:36
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Whis, are you kidding me? I go to school with the said "normal people" everyday. I know mainstream rock songs dont sound like anything off the cran wife, but you have to admit, those are some pretty easy listening songs.Wink

Aw c'mon Schizo, that's an easy one to dodge. Easy listening? I found "Starless" pretty easy listening.
 Post Reply Post Reply