Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHI, new ... help with 70s prog :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: HI, new ... help with 70s prog :)
    Posted: April 09 2008 at 04:27
Hello.  I'm new here, well... to the forum anyway... :)

Took me awhile to figure out I was a fan of progressive music.  New bands I was finding seemed to lead me to this website 9 out of 10 times... 

What I like... Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Spheric Universe Experience, Andromeda, Atmosfear, Green Carnation, Pain of Salvation, Jon Olivia's Pain, Fates Warning, Savatage, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire, Satellite, Sieges Even, Nightmare, Dead Soul Tribe, Iced Earth, Pathosray, Pure Reason Revolution, ... to give you an idea (grew up in the 80s so have metal tendencies it seems..)

Also love female vocals of any style and any genre really...

I'm new to the old progressive music, of course I know of the more popular classics like Rush, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, etc...  I'm taking about bands like King Crimson, Eloy, Camel, Caravan, Marillion, VDGG, Gentle Giant, The Strawbs, Hawkwind, The Soft Machine, etc...

I have an insatiable desire to listen to something new every day and I usually do, often 3 to 4 albums a day.  So if anyone wants to work with me to catch up on all the 70s prog I missed you'll find that I will seek and listen to it ... of the old stuff I've brought in so far is:

King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King"
Eloy "Ocean"
Camel "The Snow Goose"
Caravan "In the Land of the Grey and Pink"
The Strawbs "Grave New World"
VDGG "Pawnhearts"
Gentle Giant "In a Glass House"
Hawkwind "The Hall of the Mountain Grill" (wanted warriors, but was a $40 dollar import)
Soft Machine "I and II"

welp ... guess this is enough for a hello :)

Thanks, plank
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 04:57
I hope you own enough planks to create a couple of shelves for your apparent ever increasing collection.

If you love female vocals I must advise you to get Renaissance with Annie Haslam on vocals, Sheherazade and other stories really is a fabulous album, great on vocals, but also in piano based music.

The Moodie Blues can't be excluded from your list, great music, days of Future Past being my favourite, mostly because of the unforgettable Nights In White Satin and Thuesday Afternoon.

For real heavy stuff I advise you to listen to Magma, operatic jazzy space rock, filled with great bass and polyrhythmic drumming. Might take a while to apreciate it though. debut, or Meckanik Destruktiw Kommandoh are good places to start, but I like them all (as far as i have them)

Uriah Heep can be great. Salisbury, Demons and Wizards, Look At Yourself and The Magicia'ns Birthday.
 are all good, my personal favourite is Salisbury.

For 80's material that's easy.

Phil Collins.

sorry couldn't resist.

now for real.
Marillion, IQ and Pendragon are worth to check out.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 05:14
cool ... have napster, I use it like a library :)

Loaded up Moody Blues, Uriah, IQ, and Magma.

The Rennaisance "Sheherazade and other stories" wasn't listed nor Pendragon, so I'll have to search a little deeper for those.

heh, wish u did resist on the Phil Collins plug...lol.

LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 06:32
Kansas is a great band, and often a little overlooked. Great symphonic with violin, great singer and a distinct warm, American sound. They've always had a thing for the harder edge of the sound spectrum which I find most pleasing and also helps in making them unique.

Pick up Song For America or Leftoverture as first album, great band.
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 18:37
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

Also love female vocals of any style and any genre really...

I would second the Renaissance rec. One of the most beautiful voices in all of music, a voice that is perfectly wedded to the unique symphonic prog of Renaissance. They are the opposite of heavy prog metal however. Much more pastoral, more piano driven. No lead electric guitar--but wait to you hear Jon Camp's Rickenbacker bass leads. I would start with Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall. Double cd live album, impeccably recorded. One of the best live albums ever. If you like that, get the rest of the 70s output. It has the Scheherzade suite on it, and they are backed by an orchestra long before it was the "in" thing to do (1975).

I see you mentioned Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Pure Reason Revolution. I am a huge fan of all those bands. I have seen PT 4 times and just saw Pure Reason Revolution at Nearfest last year. Love those female vocals and melodic pop/prog songs. So you are on the right track.

If you love female vocals of any type, I would also highly recommend one of the coolest bands on the planet---Stereolab. See the Stereolab thread going on the general music rec thread.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 18:56
...Welcome my new friend, haha..I'm really a metal hater but still we can be friends ..

You may try out some Heavy Prog besides Rush that I really can't take them (No Offense), if you like 70's hard rock like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath you should really check out Atomic Rooster, Uriah Heep.

Have you liked Jethro Tull? You may try Black Widow, a folk rock band with some heavy tendencies cause the hammond... Their debut has some notably Tull presence but it's less accesible not cause the music but more cause the voice.

From Heep: Salsibury, Demons and Wizards, Magician's Birthday and later on their debut. If you really like heavier stuff you should also try the overrated(IMO) Look at Yourself.
From Atomic Rooster: Death Walks Behind You later on their debut or In Hearing Of.
From King Crimson you can also try In the Wake of Poseidon if you liked their debut.

You haven't mentioned ELP so that's another classic prog band that you should have something from them.
If you're interested you may try first their debut or Trilogy or perhaps Tarkus.
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:07
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

...Welcome my new friend, haha..I'm really a metal hater but still we can be friends ..

You may try out some Heavy Prog besides Rush that I really can't take them (No Offense), if you like 70's hard rock like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath you should really check out Atomic Rooster, Uriah Heep.

Have you liked Jethro Tull? You may try Black Widow, a folk rock band with some heavy tendencies cause the hammond... Their debut has some notably Tull presence but it's less accesible not cause the music but more cause the voice.

From Heep: Salsibury, Demons and Wizards, Magician's Birthday and later on their debut. If you really like heavier stuff you should also try the overrated(IMO) Look at Yourself.
From Atomic Rooster: Death Walks Behind You later on their debut or In Hearing Of.
From King Crimson you can also try In the Wake of Poseidon if you liked their debut.

You haven't mentioned ELP so that's another classic prog band that you should have something from them.
If you're interested you may try first their debut or Trilogy or perhaps Tarkus.

dude, how come you keep posting replies right after mine in only the threads I am posting in?
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:16
Magma
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:19
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

...Welcome my new friend, haha..I'm really a metal hater but still we can be friends .. You may try out some Heavy Prog besides Rush that I really can't take them (No Offense), if you like 70's hard rock like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath you should really check out Atomic Rooster, Uriah Heep. Have you liked Jethro Tull? You may try Black Widow, a folk rock band with some heavy tendencies cause the hammond... Their debut has some notably Tull presence but it's less accesible not cause the music but more cause the voice. From Heep: Salsibury, Demons and Wizards, Magician's Birthday and later on their debut. If you really like heavier stuff you should also try the overrated(IMO) Look at Yourself. From Atomic Rooster: Death Walks Behind You later on their debut or In Hearing Of. From King Crimson you can also try In the Wake of Poseidon if you liked their debut. You haven't mentioned ELP so that's another classic prog band that you should have something from them. If you're interested you may try first their debut or Trilogy or perhaps Tarkus.

dude, how come you keep posting replies right after mine in only the threads I am posting in?

mmm..maybe cause I have been here for 4 months and I love the forum and I'm very active almost everyday 1 or 2hs per day. Don't you think that's reason Mr I know more.

BTW: You're gonna get mad if someone posts something after you?? I think I'm really getting sick of you..

Edited by cacho - April 09 2008 at 19:20
AShowOfHands View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:19
Erm... Kate Bush?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:32
If you are are open to female vocals in just about any genre: Try U Totem, Greaves' Kew Rhone, Eskaton, Art Bears,  Koenjihyakkei, After Dinner... so much to try (I'm not limiting myself to the 70s there).  Magma is, like it or not, a good band to know in these parts (Magma is terrific). And every collection is woefully incomplete without Comus and Spirogyra (male and female vocals -- the subject matter in Comus may disturb some people though).

Edited by Logan - April 09 2008 at 19:34
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

(the matter is that I may disturb some people though).

... Fooling around Logan.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:49

LOL  Fooling around, or playing this fool? ;)

Playing The Fool - The Official Live

It's the cover of Gentle Giant's Playing the Fool (just since you were posting about GG recently, so kind of timely).

"I pity the fool who plays me for a fool" (not quite Mr. T).
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 19:55

LOL
Fooling around, or playing this fool? ;)

<span style="color: rgb119, 119, 119;">1977</span>

Playing The Fool - The Official Live

It's the cover of Gentle Giant's Playing the Fool (just since you were posting about GG recently, so kind of timely)."I pity the fool who plays me for a fool" (not quite Mr. T).

I'm sure I'm Playing the Fool are you playing the fool on me or on the cd player?

I think I shall go with Fools! huh? haha Cya Logan gonna study history! French and Spanish modern age stuff ..
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 01:38
My female collection, I pretty much own complete discographies of the bands listed even singles:

4 Non Blondes, Linda Perry, 7 Year Bitch, 12 Rounds, 22 Brides, Alisha's Attic, All About Eve, Dot Allison, Amanda Ghost, Tori Amos, The Amps, Angelfish (shirley manson before Garbage), Anouk, Fiona Apple, Baby Fox, Baby Gopal, Bandit Queen, Barbie Complex, Shirley Bassey, Battershell, Bel Canto, Heidi Berry, Bettie Serveert, Bif Naked, Blackmore's Night, Blake Hazard, Blood Sugar, Brigid Boden, Tracy Bonham, Boss Hog, The Botswanas, Michelle Branch, Breakbeat Era, The Breeders, Meridith Brooks, Catatonia, Chainsuck, Mag Lee Chin, Lauren Christy, Chug, Cinnamon, Collide, Come, Imani Coppola, Concrete Blonde, Amy Correia, Cowboy Junkies, Sarah Cracknell, Cranes, Sheryl Crow, CURVE, Daisy Chainsaw (now Queen Adreena), Damone, Vanessa Daou, Darling Violetta, Danielle Dax, Death by Chocolate, Delerium, Denali, Die Cheerleader, Die So Fluid (ex-Feline), Ani DiFranco, The Distillers, Dj Rap, DOLLSHEAD, The Donnas, Doro, Drain STH (now Superfixx), Drill, Echobelly, ELASTICA, Elysian Fields (Jennifer Charles), Emma Peel, Eve's Plum (now Vitamin C), The Eyeliners, Evanescence, Fear of God, FELINE, Fetchin Bones, Flake, FLEMING & JOHN, Fluffy, Frogpond, Frou Frou, Furslide, Nelly Furtado, GARBAGE, Genitorturers, The Geraldine Fibbers, Beth Gibbons (portishead), Girl Next Door, GUANO APES, Halfcocked, The Halo Friendlies, Kay Hanley (letters to cleo), Hana, Sarah Harmer, Beth Hart, Juliana Hatfield, Lily Haydn, The Heart Throbs, Lauren Hoffman (Cannibal named Ed hehe), Hooverphonic, Natalie Imbruglia, Imogen Heap (now Frou Frou), The Indians, The Innocence Mission, Ivy, Jack off Jill (now Scarling), The Januaries, JANE JENSEN, jewel, JOYDROP, Jucifier, Brenda Kahn, Katastrophy Wife (ex-Babes in Toyland), Katydids, Katell Keineg, Kidneythieves, Killing Heidi, The kills, Kittie, Komeda, Karyn Kuhl (ex Sexpod), L7, Lacuna Coil, Lamb, Lava Baby, Avril Lavigne, Letters to Cleo, Michelle Lewis, Lisa Loeb, Inger Lorre (ex-Nymphs), Love Club, Luscious Jackson, Lush, Luxt, Luxx, Tara MacLean, Madder Rose, Manda and the Marbles, Marry Me Jane, Amanda Marshall, Mary's Danish (Battery Acid), Mazzy Star, Holly McNarland, The Millions, Miranda Sex Garden, Mollies Revenge, Mono (Marine Research), Abra Moore, Morcheeba, Morella's Forrest, Alanis, Motorbaby, The Muffs, My Ruin, Leona Neass, The Nields, Nightwish, No Doubt, Heather Nova, NY Loose, Nymphs, Olive, One Dove (Dot Allison), Opal, Omatic, Original Sinners (x-X), Beth Orton, Over the Rhine, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Phantom Blue, Sam Phillips, The Pierces, Piss Factory, Power Symphony, Julie Plug, Plumb, Poe, Portishead, The Prissteens, Puracane (x-Barbie Complex), Queen Adreena, Radio Vago, Rasputina, The Ravonettes, Ramona The Pest, Red Five, Republica, Rilo Kiley, Eileen Rose, Ruby, Bic Runga, RACHAEL SAGE, Roxy Saint, Saint Etienne, Saloon, Salt, Hope Sandoval, Save Ferris, Scarnella (x-geraldine fibbers), Scheer, CASEY SCOTT, Scratching Post, Shea Seger, September 67, Sexpod, Shakespeare's Sister, Bree Sharp, Shelby Starner, SHIVAREE, The Shroud, Silver fish, Sinboy, Sinergy, Sing Sing (x-Lush), Single Gun Theory, SKINDIVE, Skunk Anansie (now Skin), Sarah Slean, Sleeper, Kendra Smith, Snake River Conspiracy, Sneaker Pimps, Spike 1000, The Spinanes, Splashdown, Squatweiler, Star 69, The Start, Stereolab, Stone Fox, Sugarsmack, Sun 60 (joan Jones now solo), The Sundays, The Superjesus, Supreme Beings of Leisure, Switchblade Symphony, Tapping the Vein, This Mortal Coil, Throwing Muses, Mary Timony, Torrez, Emiliana Torrini, Trip 66, The Tuesdays, Tuscadero, Velocity Girl, Veruca Salt, Violet, Violet Indiana, Ana Voog, Wild Strawberries, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, ZuZu's Petals.

... I'm sure some have escaped the listing, but a list of my female fronted bands/artists.  I left some out because they are headed for the pawn shop. :)

Just received the cds I mentioned on my first post today, already love King Crimson, Caravan, and Camel....  I'm looking into the posts now, think I'm going to like it here, very active forum :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 02:31
k, loaded up Renaissance's "Tuscany" didn't have the two suggested... Magma "Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh," "Kohntarkosz," and "Udu Wudu."  Atomic Rooster "Death Walks Behind You." (In Hearing of, not listed).  Art Bears "Hopes and Fears."

will have to dig up Pendragon, U Totem, Greave's Kew Rhone, Eskaton, Koenjihyakkei.... (not on napster)

I do like Kate Bush and own her discography.

I know of, but not intimate with ELP, Uriah Heep, Marillion, The Moody Blues... Will start with suggested titles, which Marillion is good to start with?

Know of Kansas, saw them live as a teenager.

Have to research Black Widow some disparity on listings on napster... so have to make sure I have the right one...

Looking forward to IQ.. a friend suggested them to me also, probably spend a night soon listening to them.
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 04:55

Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

...Welcome my new friend, haha..I'm really a metal hater but still we can be friends .. You may try out some Heavy Prog besides Rush that I really can't take them (No Offense), if you like 70's hard rock like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath you should really check out Atomic Rooster, Uriah Heep. Have you liked Jethro Tull? You may try Black Widow, a folk rock band with some heavy tendencies cause the hammond... Their debut has some notably Tull presence but it's less accesible not cause the music but more cause the voice. From Heep: Salsibury, Demons and Wizards, Magician's Birthday and later on their debut. If you really like heavier stuff you should also try the overrated(IMO) Look at Yourself. From Atomic Rooster: Death Walks Behind You later on their debut or In Hearing Of. From King Crimson you can also try In the Wake of Poseidon if you liked their debut. You haven't mentioned ELP so that's another classic prog band that you should have something from them. If you're interested you may try first their debut or Trilogy or perhaps Tarkus.

mmm..maybe cause I have been here for 4 months and I love the forum and I'm very active almost everyday 1 or 2hs per day. Don't you think that's reason Mr I know more.

BTW: You're gonna get mad if someone posts something after you?? I think I'm really getting sick of you..

Where is that ignore button when I really need it..........
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 04:56
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

My female collection, I pretty much own complete discographies of the bands listed even singles:

4 Non Blondes, Linda Perry, 7 Year Bitch, 12 Rounds, 22 Brides, Alisha's Attic, All About Eve, Dot Allison, Amanda Ghost, Tori Amos, The Amps, Angelfish (shirley manson before Garbage), Anouk, Fiona Apple, Baby Fox, Baby Gopal, Bandit Queen, Barbie Complex, Shirley Bassey, Battershell, Bel Canto, Heidi Berry, Bettie Serveert, Bif Naked, Blackmore's Night, Blake Hazard, Blood Sugar, Brigid Boden, Tracy Bonham, Boss Hog, The Botswanas, Michelle Branch, Breakbeat Era, The Breeders, Meridith Brooks, Catatonia, Chainsuck, Mag Lee Chin, Lauren Christy, Chug, Cinnamon, Collide, Come, Imani Coppola, Concrete Blonde, Amy Correia, Cowboy Junkies, Sarah Cracknell, Cranes, Sheryl Crow, CURVE, Daisy Chainsaw (now Queen Adreena), Damone, Vanessa Daou, Darling Violetta, Danielle Dax, Death by Chocolate, Delerium, Denali, Die Cheerleader, Die So Fluid (ex-Feline), Ani DiFranco, The Distillers, Dj Rap, DOLLSHEAD, The Donnas, Doro, Drain STH (now Superfixx), Drill, Echobelly, ELASTICA, Elysian Fields (Jennifer Charles), Emma Peel, Eve's Plum (now Vitamin C), The Eyeliners, Evanescence, Fear of God, FELINE, Fetchin Bones, Flake, FLEMING & JOHN, Fluffy, Frogpond, Frou Frou, Furslide, Nelly Furtado, GARBAGE, Genitorturers, The Geraldine Fibbers, Beth Gibbons (portishead), Girl Next Door, GUANO APES, Halfcocked, The Halo Friendlies, Kay Hanley (letters to cleo), Hana, Sarah Harmer, Beth Hart, Juliana Hatfield, Lily Haydn, The Heart Throbs, Lauren Hoffman (Cannibal named Ed hehe), Hooverphonic, Natalie Imbruglia, Imogen Heap (now Frou Frou), The Indians, The Innocence Mission, Ivy, Jack off Jill (now Scarling), The Januaries, JANE JENSEN, jewel, JOYDROP, Jucifier, Brenda Kahn, Katastrophy Wife (ex-Babes in Toyland), Katydids, Katell Keineg, Kidneythieves, Killing Heidi, The kills, Kittie, Komeda, Karyn Kuhl (ex Sexpod), L7, Lacuna Coil, Lamb, Lava Baby, Avril Lavigne, Letters to Cleo, Michelle Lewis, Lisa Loeb, Inger Lorre (ex-Nymphs), Love Club, Luscious Jackson, Lush, Luxt, Luxx, Tara MacLean, Madder Rose, Manda and the Marbles, Marry Me Jane, Amanda Marshall, Mary's Danish (Battery Acid), Mazzy Star, Holly McNarland, The Millions, Miranda Sex Garden, Mollies Revenge, Mono (Marine Research), Abra Moore, Morcheeba, Morella's Forrest, Alanis, Motorbaby, The Muffs, My Ruin, Leona Neass, The Nields, Nightwish, No Doubt, Heather Nova, NY Loose, Nymphs, Olive, One Dove (Dot Allison), Opal, Omatic, Original Sinners (x-X), Beth Orton, Over the Rhine, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Phantom Blue, Sam Phillips, The Pierces, Piss Factory, Power Symphony, Julie Plug, Plumb, Poe, Portishead, The Prissteens, Puracane (x-Barbie Complex), Queen Adreena, Radio Vago, Rasputina, The Ravonettes, Ramona The Pest, Red Five, Republica, Rilo Kiley, Eileen Rose, Ruby, Bic Runga, RACHAEL SAGE, Roxy Saint, Saint Etienne, Saloon, Salt, Hope Sandoval, Save Ferris, Scarnella (x-geraldine fibbers), Scheer, CASEY SCOTT, Scratching Post, Shea Seger, September 67, Sexpod, Shakespeare's Sister, Bree Sharp, Shelby Starner, SHIVAREE, The Shroud, Silver fish, Sinboy, Sinergy, Sing Sing (x-Lush), Single Gun Theory, SKINDIVE, Skunk Anansie (now Skin), Sarah Slean, Sleeper, Kendra Smith, Snake River Conspiracy, Sneaker Pimps, Spike 1000, The Spinanes, Splashdown, Squatweiler, Star 69, The Start, Stereolab, Stone Fox, Sugarsmack, Sun 60 (joan Jones now solo), The Sundays, The Superjesus, Supreme Beings of Leisure, Switchblade Symphony, Tapping the Vein, This Mortal Coil, Throwing Muses, Mary Timony, Torrez, Emiliana Torrini, Trip 66, The Tuesdays, Tuscadero, Velocity Girl, Veruca Salt, Violet, Violet Indiana, Ana Voog, Wild Strawberries, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, ZuZu's Petals.

... I'm sure some have escaped the listing, but a list of my female fronted bands/artists.  I left some out because they are headed for the pawn shop. :)

Just received the cds I mentioned on my first post today, already love King Crimson, Caravan, and Camel....  I'm looking into the posts now, think I'm going to like it here, very active forum :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you are looking for more music????

Dude, do you really even listen to all that in any kind of in depth manner? Or are you just collecting music to add to the numbers? Or worse, did you go to Wikipedia and print out the names of every band with female vocalists from the last 20 years?

Edited by Squonkman - April 10 2008 at 04:58
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 05:14
I'd recommend some of the Italian bands - start with PFM (Premiata Forneria Marconi) - you can't go wrong with their first 3 albums.

If you're feeling adventurous, and like the spacerock side of things, there's some great stuff in the Kosmiche (Kraut Rock) bands - try Kraftwerk's debut album and Amon Duul II.

My favourite Hawkwind album has always been Sonic Attack - it's much heavier than their earlier offerings and more cleanly produced (more cleanly, NOT cleanly Wink) - although it's an '80s release.

Expand your Camel collection with "Mirage" - it's a real grower. Even if you like it on first listen, you'll like it even more with subsequent listens.

Finally, surprise yourself with a copy of "Crime of the Century" by Supertramp. Utterly sublime, while not being completely "out there".

All entry-level stuff, but, I think, music that grows with you.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 05:21
..well it all started with a band called the runaways way back in the early 80s.  And yes I'm quite intimate with my female fronted bands.  Have a Nomad Zen 60G that only has my female bands on it.  It's usually on shuffle and on video2 to my stereo... video1 is my other nomad, which has my rock/extreme metal, and my growing progressive collection....  I'm here cause the rock/extreme metal bands are really beginning to bore me and are slowly getting deleted... so yes, I am looking for more interesting and good music. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>