PLAYING THE FOOL - THE OFFICIAL LIVE

progressive rock music

Buy GENTLE GIANT Music
Live, released in 1977

Vinyl and Castle CD
1. Just The Same / Proclamation (11:13)
2. On Reflection (6:24)
3. Excerpts From Octopus (15:35)
4. Funny Ways (8:35)
5. The Runaway / Experience (9:31)
6. So Sincere (10:22)
7. Free Hand (7:40)
8. Breakdown In Brussells [a.k.a., Sweet Georgia Brown] (1:15) [omitted from the Castle CD release)
9. Peel The Paint / I Lost My Head (7:35)

Terrapin Trucking CD release:
1. Introduction (does not appear on any studio album)
2. Just The Same
3. Proclamation
4. Valedictory
5. On Reflection (rearranged)
6. The Boys In The Band
7. Raconteur Troubadour (acoustic guitar instrumental)
8. Acquiring The Taste (rearranged for acoustic guitar)
9. Knots
10. Organ bridge (does not appear on any studio album)
11. The Advent Of Panurge, part 1
12. The famous recorder quartet (does not appear on any studio album)
13. The Advent Of Panurge, part 2
14. Funny Ways
15. The Runaway
16. Experience
17. So Sincere
18. Drum and percussion bash (does not appear on any studio album) Free Hand Sweet Georgia Brown (does not appear on any studio album)
19. Free Hand
20. Sweet Georgia Brown (does not appear on any studio album)
21. Peel The Paint
22. I Lost My Head

Search GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool - The Official Live lyrics

Search GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool - The Official Live tabs

- Gary Green / electric guitar, acoustic guitar, 12 string guitar, alto recorder, descant recorder, vocals, percussion
- Kerry Minnear / keyboards, cello, vibes, tenor recorder, vocals, percussion
- Derek Shulman / vocals, alto sax, descant recorder, bass, percussion
- Ray Shulman / bass, violin, acoustic guitar, descant recorder, trumpet, vocals, percussion
- John Weathers / drums, vibes, tambour, vocals, percussion

LP Chrysalis CTY1133 (1977)
CD Essential ESSCD006 (1989)
CD Beat Goes On BGOCD 435 (1999)

and to bsurmano for the last updates

GENTLE GIANT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool - The Official Live Music

The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)The Power And The Glory (5.1 Blu-ray/CD Mixed by Steven Wilson)
Alucard 2014
I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980I Lost My Head: Chrysalis Years 1975 - 1980
Box set · Import
Acquiring the TasteAcquiring the Taste
Fontana Island 1990
Missing PieceMissing Piece
Alucard Records 2010
GENTLE GIANT IN A GLASS HOUSE WWA 002 VINYL NM NICE COVER NICE SLEEVE 1ST PRESS US $35.95 [0 bids]
41m 52s
YUSEF LATEEF The Gentle Giant JAP WEA NO OBI - FAST POST CD US $8.14 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Gentle Giant Octopus 2C 2C Matrix US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 40m
FADED GLORY ~UK PRIVATE WELSH WALES ROCK LP 1978 ~ MAN GENTLE GIANT EYES OF BLUE US $570.89 Buy It Now 3h 57m
YUSEF LATEEF: The Gentle Giant (soul vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Gentle Giant Interview 1976 LP Vinyl Capitol Green Press SN-16047 US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Gentle Giant, Gentle Giant, New & Sealed, 7 track cd album, Vertigo Records US $6.51 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Vinyl In A Glass House WWA 002 ORIGINAL 1973 ENGLAND MINT US $135.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Gentle Giant Octopus US $3.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT The Power and the Glory prog CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
6h
BLACK SABBATH GENTLE GIANT BOWL- MINI-POSTER PRINT 7" x 5" US $5.71 Buy It Now 6h 26m
YUSEF LATEEF - The Gentle Giant - JAZZ SOUL LP Promo Copy US $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 52m
The Power And The Glory by Gentle Giant 5.1 Blu Ray / CD (2014) Brand New US $34.99 Buy It Now 7h 25m
In A Glass House, Gentle Giant, Good Original recording remastered US $8.98 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head NEW 4 x CD US $21.95 Buy It Now 8h 11m
GENTLE GIANT PROG PSYCH AKARMA TIMELESS 180G LP LIMITED 250 EX !!! US $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Gentle Giant....." Three Friends" - Exc con US $4.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Octopus RARE psych prog VERTIGO - NETHERLANDS PS - LIKE NEW US $40.73 [6 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Octopus LP 1973 Album Columbia Records Canada GD+ Prog Rock US $14.95 Buy It Now 8h 59m
CD-Gentle Giant-In a Glass House 70's UK psych prog US $12.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT: In A Glass House LP (UK, textured window cover, w/ insert, inner US $75.00 Buy It Now 11h 25m
SAGA 10,000 Days CD PROG SPV (Enchant, Rush, Jadis, Cairo, Styx, Gentle Giant)) US $19.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT "THE MISSING PIECE" LP US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
1977 Official Live Prog Rock Vinyl Lp GENTLE GIANT~Playing The Fool~Near Mint US $4.99 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT: Free Hand rock vinyl Capitol ST-11428 canadian US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Gentle Giant 4 Rare Vertigo LP - Octopus - Acquiring the Taste - 2 Three Friends US $888.88 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Gentle Giant Three Friends LP Vertigo Swirl UK Import 6360 070 1972 Gatefold US $50.00 [1 bids]
PROG ROCK LP - GENTLE GIANT - IN A GLASS HOUSE - WWA 002 US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 30m
LULABOX-BELIEVE-RARE 2 TK U.S PROMO CD SINGLE-Gentle Giant Below Belt REMIX-1993 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - In A Palesport House CD US $20.68 Buy It Now 19h 36m
The Power and the Glory by Gentle Giant (CD, Jan-2010, Dra) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Interview [35th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Gentle Giant (MONO) US $17.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - In A Palesport House [CD New] US $11.40 Buy It Now 20h 57m
Yusef Lateef - The Gentle Giant - Japan Edition (NEW CD) US $10.99 Buy It Now 22h 5m
Gentle Giant Giant Steps-The First Five Years 2-CD NEW SEALED 2012 US $11.40 Buy It Now 23h
Gentle Giant LP Lot - Interview and Civilian US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 32m
The Power and the Glory [35th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Gentle Giant... US $6.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant Original Capitol Prog LP 1976 US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT s/t 1st CD Germany 7 tracks Line LICD 9.00722 US $11.50 [2 bids]
GENTLE GIANT Octopus CD Japan 8 tracks Vertigo PPD-3094 US $9.99 [1 bids]
GENTLE GIANT JAPAN OBI VERTIGO THREE FRIENDS US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DON WILLIAMS: THE GENTLE GIANT [GOOD OLE BOYS LIKE ME,TULSA TIME,AMANDA++] US $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Live in New York 1975 UK Import CD Brand New & Still Sealed US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Octopus by Gentle Giant (CD, Legacy) US $0.99 [1 bids]
Gentle Giant-Missing Piece + Giant for a Day UK prog cd US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT-"GIANT FOR A DAY" LP-CAPITOL SW11813-MASK INCLD. USED US $1.99 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT octopus US ORIGINAL LP KC 32022 die-cut sleeve INNER NM US $47.49 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT three friends US VINYL LP psych prog rock CLEAN / NM US $33.25 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT the missing piece CAPITOL US ORIGINAL LP ST-11696 F-3 NM  US $17.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Cap 8951 "Words From The Wise' b/w "Spooky Boogie" colored vinyl US $25.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT, Interview, EX- Prog LP! I Lost My Head, GIVE IT BACK, Empty City! US $5.00 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT - Giant for a Day! LP (US Pressing on CAPITOL) MINT-- US $11.20 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - INTERVIEW IN CONCERT - NEW CD US $6.57 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - PROLOGUE [GENTLE GIANT] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $8.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Three Friends (Sealed CD) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - (2012) (New/sealed) Prog Rock Classic US $13.03 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - LIVE IN STOCKHOLM 1975 - NEW CD US $12.24 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - THE MISSING FACE - NEW CD US $11.32 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT IN A GLASS HOUSE WWA RECORDS UK IMPORT LP VINYL US $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Lp-GENTLE GIANT-The Missing Piece-1977 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT the official live 2lp LP psych prog NM US $10.26 Buy It Now 1 day
GENTLE GIANT - Playing the Fool LIVE LP (RARE UK Import on "green" CHRYSALIS) US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
yusef lateef-GENTLE GIANT-orig USA 1972-VG++ US $7.91 [0 bids]
GENTLE GIANT: Three Friends (Rock & Pop Columbia KC-31649 VG++ Vinyl LP) US $9.94 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant The power and the glory 1st USA pressing cd rare US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - In a glass house LP WWA-002 UK Print US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Interview - Ultra rare 2012 promo Test Press white label vinyl LP US $81.54 Buy It Now 1 day
Gentle Giant - Free Hand - Ultra rare 2012 promo Test Press white labe US $81.54 Buy It Now 1 day
Free Hand Gentle Giant MUSIC CD US $12.71 Buy It Now 2 days
5022539100629 Gentle Giant The Missing Piece The Road Goes On Forever RARE CD US $19.56 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - IN A GLASS HOUSE limited edition OOP mini LP replica CD import US $20.00 [1 bids]
Gentle Giant by Gentle Giant (CD, Apr-1990, Mercury) US $6.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Playing The Fool Official Live G.G SKBB-11592 US $9.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant [CD New] US $8.51 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - Missing Face [CD New] US $14.30 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - Three Friends/Octopus [CD New] US $17.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - In'Terview In Concert [CD New] US $9.58 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT NEW CD US $19.19 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - THREE FRIENDS / OCTOPUS NEW CD US $23.96 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT: The Power And The Glory (Rock & Pop Capitol ST-11337 USA LP) US $9.94 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant Official Live Playing Fool UK SEALED 2 LP Chrysalis CTY 1133 Prog US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Octopus LP 1973 Columbia EX US $12.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant-Giant for a Day on Capitol Records US $25.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT S/T, THREE FRIENDS AND OCTOPUS- 3 MINT CD'S PROGRESSIVE 70S ROCK US $22.99 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant - Three Friends Gatefold Columbia KC 31649 LP US $14.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece Capitol ST 11696 Original Pressing LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT s/t 1st Vertigo-UICY-9028 JAPAN **MINT!!** US $15.80 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT FREE HAND VINYL RECORD ~ CAPITOL # ST 11428 US $6.95 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant FOR A DAY w/lyric/mask Capitol SW-11813 NM PROMO LP 1978 rare orig! US $49.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Three Friends/Octopus by Gentle Giant (CD, Apr-2013, 2 Discs, Beat Goes On) US $14.45 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT three friends VG/EX UK 6360070 | 14-0124-074 US $189.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT - OCTOPUS - different Gimmix Cover Vinyl US LP RARE US $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Gentle Giant Acquiring The Taste LP Orig. UK 1971 Press Swirl Vertigo Label US $250.00 [0 bids]
Gentle Giant Free Hand Limited Vinyl LP US $40.76 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT MINT I'm Turning Around WLP PROMO COPY 45 ORIG SLEEVE Mono/Stereo US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT In'terview Limited Vinyl LP US $40.76 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT 'Power And The Glory' Gatefold Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $26.82 Buy It Now 2 days
YUSEF LATEEF-THE GENTLE GIANT-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 2 days
GENTLE GIANT Interview LP Vinyl NM Cover Shrink 1976 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy GENTLE GIANT music online Buy GENTLE GIANT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENTLE GIANT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool - The Official Live ratings distribution

GENTLE GIANT Playing The Fool - The Official Live reviews

Review by Bj-1
4 stars Live albums by great "live-bands" are always a welcome to my ears, this release is no exception. "Playing The Fool" shows Gentle Giant's unique live performances in a very good and sorted perspective with several instrumental "bonuses" added to many of the songs too. Gentle Giant always were very engaged live too, something that makes this album very uplifting and very rarely dull. I didn't quite get the point with the addition of "Breakdown in Brussels" though, but it's still a humoristic break from the album's other tracks, though it remains filler in my ears. On to the other stuff here; the music is played more or less flawlessly by the band. People might wonder how they manage to play this highly complex music live so good. Well, It's Gentle Giant we're talking about here, one of the most technically competent prog bands from the 70's, 'nuff said!

Despite it's few flaws, this is a must if you are a fan of this band. Great performances and very good tracklist. Sound quality is excellent, unlike the "Official Bootlegs" that was released years later that featured rather crappy sound quality. Gentle Giant fans, if you don't own this already, get it! 4.5/5

Send comments to Bj-1 (BETA) | Report this review (#6210) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Review by greenback
4 stars This is the Gentle Giant's live album. The chosen tracks are excellent. The musicians all play very well. On "On reflections", you can slightly feel the stress & pressure of the musicians during the complex vocals part. Weather's excellent and childish vibes notes are charming. The sound is very good and punchy, and the live ambience is palpable. The crowd favorably responds, often while the song is playing. The delightful omnipresent clavinet is quite distinguishable. The 15 minutes of excerpts from "Octopus" must be entirely & uninterruptedly listened to appreciate the brilliant passages between the tracks: ABSOLUTELY IMPRESSIVE! Weathers's drums & percussions combination inside his solo on the "So sincere" track is AMAZING. This album is excellent and memorable from A to Z!

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#6214) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 03, 2005

Review by Gatot
5 stars An Essential Live Prog Rock Album of all time ...

There are two reasons why I need to review this legendary live album. First, I've just recently watched the band live performance through a video DVD titled Giant On the Box (2004) that features the band's performance and activities during the span of 1974 - 75. It's a wonderful live video especially for me having been listening to the band's music in the last thirty years something. Second, I am in a discussion through email with the reader of this site who lives in Pittsburgh USA. We are close, age-wise as well as taste-wise. He told me that he just got the double LP version of Playing The Fool which he lost it somewhere. According to him this is an excellent live album. Well, I fully agree with him.

This live set was recorded from the band's European Tour in September - October 1976; two years after their performance in Brussels TV recorded for the Giant On The Box DVD with the same line-up. By the time I listened to this album through a cassette I could not imagine how the band played their complex repertoires on stage especially with variety of instruments - over 30 plus types of instruments. Having seen the video, I can now imagine how the band members play their multi instruments. The album starts off with rapid-fire fingers punch of Kerry Minnear with his electric piano / keyboard through "Just The Same" from Free Hand album. It's an energetic opening track with a fully accentuated vocals and choirs. Derek shouts: "See me, what I am, what I was, what I'll be, Hear me, understand that I'm not what you see.". What a well positioned song as it opens the show with appropriate lyrics. The keyboard interlude and guitar riffs are truly magnificent! This opening track sparks the light for the rest of their performance.

The performance continues seamlessly to a dynamic track with great voices "Proclamation" from The Power and The Glory album. It has a slightly different arrangement from the original studio version especially on the piano intro combined with excellent guitar fills. Very nice. I can not let my mouth shut when Derek starts singing : "You may not have [applaud from the crowd!] all you want or you need, all that you have has been due to my hand, it can change, it can stay the same, who can say, who can make their claim. Hail hail hail ." Unfortunately there is one lyrical verse that is deleted with this live version, i.e the part that starts with "The situation we are in at this time .". But it's OK, it still a great song performed live.

It's so lively performance, I would say. With a long woodwinds and violin intro, "On Reflection" was performed flawlessly with its famous and beautiful choirs "In my way did I use you, do you think I really abused you On reflection now it doesn't matter:..." that has been the main characteristic of Gentle Giant. There is also an excellent acoustic guitar duo, I guess between Ray Shulman and Gary Green (now I can tell), during "Excerpts From Octopus" which received applaud from the crowd. The choral section combined with vibraphone is also very nice. Gary Green is a great guitar player. The exploration with other instruments including woodwinds and percussion is also performed beautifully.

"Funny Ways" which actually I did not favor initially through the studio version, has now become my favorite (after 30 years? Yes! It's due to the footage of the Giant on the Box DVD!). "Experience" starts off with a very inventive keyboard work by Minnear followed with fully accentuated voice of Derek combined with dynamic drumming by Weathers. "So Sincere" which was initially very hard for me to digest is now another good song as well as I now enjoy the violin and cello work here. "Free Hand" with its bluesy based rhythm is also performed energetically through excellent harmony between music and vocals, performed in energetic fashion. The live album concludes with an excellent medley "Peel The Paint / I Lost My Head" which is performed brilliantly.

In summary, having been more than 28 years now I still find listening to this excellent live album is very rewarding. Personally I could not give any rating less than 5 stars as this album is truly masterpiece of live prog rock album of all time. For those of you are familiar with the music of Gentle Giant from 1970-1976 would also find this album is an excellent addition to prog collection and I'm sure that at least you would give an at least 4 stars rating. I'm ready being blamed as too naïve - but it's true I'm telling you that this band is truly FANTASTIC! Highly recommended. Keep on proggin' ..!

Progressively yours,

GW - Review #323

What will I feel maybe tomorrow, but time not real, hours I can borrow, so until for now, as long as how, I can't remember what I said. I lost my head." - taken from "I Lost My Head" by Gentle Giant "Interview" album.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#37015) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2005

Review by Alucard
5 stars I love this record for several reasons, but mainly because I saw the 'Plaing The Fool' Tour the 23.September 1976 in Düsseldorf. Up to today this remains the best concert I ever saw. The band seemed to liked it too, the whole first side of the double vinyl is from this concert,(BTW there are 3 other tracks from this concert on 'Under Construction' : Intro 76, Interview and Timing, which includes Ray's famous Quadra Violin Solo and there are two other tracks from the same concert on the 'glass house' reedition Runaway/Experience.) Gentle Giant was such a great live band. They were playing so tight and united and they transmitted their energy and joy of playing to the public.So this is a very good live record, and it gives a good overview of the entire GG catalogue from 'Funny Ways' (1970) to the 'Interview' (1976) tracks.Unfortunately on the record you can feel only slighly how great they were on stage.Get the DVD and you get at least visually a better idea of their unity and their energy. It is always difficult to compare Vinyl and CD because it depends so much on your equipment, but In comparaison to my vinyl the 'One Way' CD edition is a little pale.

Send comments to Alucard (BETA) | Report this review (#37044) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 20, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars Gentle Giant are easily one of the best live prog bands to ever have graced the stage. They tackle their endlessly complex material with ease and they replicate the album sound so well. The extended solo sections and the songs that segue into each other are also very good, never really getting boring at all. My only real complaint is that the sound quality isn't the best, but regardless, this is an incredible accomplishment for the group.

The set that is displayed on this album is varied and features some of their best material. My favorite tracks are Excerpts from Octopus, which features sections from each song on the album, a truly tough feat on paper, but performed incredibly well. Gary Green plays a great acoustic guitar during one of the sections. The Runaway/Experience is also a very good combination track, they go seamlessly together and are fluid in transitions, and it also features great vocals from Shulman, and an awesome drum performance from Weathers. And my favorite GG song, Freehand is played incredibly well, with an awesome wah solo from Green. Kerry Minear is the glue of the album, holding all of the musicians together throughout the intricate material. His performances are a highlight of the album because they are note for note perfect. Ray Shulman also gives great bass performances throughout, really going outside the box in his bass playing.

Overall, this is a great album that no Gentle Giant fan should miss. The material is awesome, the performances are awesome, the entire record is awesome. 4.5/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#38812) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 08, 2005

Review by soundsweird
4 stars One of my favorite live albums of all time, recorded at about the same time I saw them perform at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin, Texas (one of my favorite concerts of all time). I'm writing this review the week before the release of the35th Anniversary reissue, so I'm reviewing the original CD issue on One Way Records. I may buy the new version since it contains a bonus track, but the sound quality is wonderful on the One Way version. If I have a complaint, it's that the cover artwork is somewhat blurry, almost like a bootleg's would be. As far as the quality of the compositions and performance, it's flawless. Gentle Giant is one of the few bands that make me want to own every live album that's available (assuming the sound quality is decent), even if the set list is the same. Unfortunately, there are quite a few GG live releases that sound terrible, so buyer beware.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#43396) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 19, 2005

Review by erik neuteboom
5 stars It took a while before I started to appreciate the 'conservatorium progrock' from Gentle Giant but eventually I bought this double album. What a discovery!Gentle Giant blew me away with their very distinctive progressive rock sound, based upon stunning interplay, a great variety in the instrumentation, the vocal harmonies and the alternating and captivating compositions. It's not the most easy progrock for the average proghead but if you are up to varied and more complex progrock with great muscial ideas (from a duo acoustic guitar piece and swinging work on the clavinet to a trumpet solo, inventive and dynamic drumming and fiery electric guitar runs) this double album will delight you, THIS IS ESSENTIAL PROGROCK!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#43401) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 19, 2005

Review by Tony Fisher
5 stars This showcases one of the most amazing bands ever live; their playing ability is second to none. They even make Dream Theater seem like mere mortals, so technical are they on their huge variety of instruments. And the music is good too. It is complex, sometimes mediaeval inspired, sometimes jazz based, always progressive and full of emotion. They are all fine singers and their multipart harmonies and counterpoints are exceptional; only Queen can rival them. The music is intense and takes no prisoners; a double album (and I'm reviewing the vinyl version) is far too much to take in in one go, but almost everything is good. The first two tracks and the last three are exceptional. They can stick tightly together through complex rhythms and time changes, separate members even playing in different time signatures at times and yet they hold it all together. Like a good wine, this album is something to be savoured a little at a time. The vinyl version is 4.5* but with the bonus tracks on the CD it is a confident 5* album and an essential masterpiece.

Send comments to Tony Fisher (BETA) | Report this review (#46630) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Review by Marc Baum
5 stars This really is the best prog rock live recording of all time, together with Yes's "Yessongs". "Playing The Fool" shows Gentle Giant on their peak with all career- moments from their classic period from 1970-1976. The production is excellent, transparent and shows the live energy of the band in a perfect way.

Stay away from other Gentle Giant live records, because the most got a too short length or an awful sound quality. This is the Gentle Giant live album to go for and is also a recommended start point to discover the music of this unique prog institution from the 70's. My favourite classic prog rock live album ever beside Yessongs!

Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music

Send comments to Marc Baum (BETA) | Report this review (#46908) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 16, 2005

Review by daveconn
4 stars The Giant's 1976 tour marked the end of an era, captured here on two elpees that draw out the jewels from their earlier masterpieces. Of course it's brilliant, faithful to the originals but free in execution, the celebration of a genius that spills over. However, an appreciation of this album is predicated on an understanding that the originals were flawless creatures. Only then do you really enjoy the license given to songs like "On Reflection." Not that Gentle Giant departs from the original blueprints, they simply add some ornamentation to suit the live milieu (drum solos, complex vocal harmonies, a chorus of recorders) and keep listeners on their toes a little. I remember when I first heard Playing The Fool, amazed that the band could capture so much of the original detail in a live setting. Kerry's keyboards sound the same, Gary's guitar has all of the old grit, Derek's voice stays the original course point for point. Song selection is a non-issue for me, since it's a delight to hear the band conjure any of the old wonders so faithfully. A medley of Octopus is a highlight, the combination of "Peel The Paint" (from Three Friends) and "I Lost My Head" (the lone track from Interview) a good way to cram as much great music as possible into two pieces of plastic. Not by accident, the first three sides are introduced by sounds from the original elpees: Free Hand's gears grinding (side one), a spinning coin (side two, from Interview I think), breaking glass from In A Glass House (side three). In part because of this, Playing The Fool feels like Gentle Giant's studio albums come to life. It doesn't add much new music to the canon (only a short violin/guitar rendition of "Sweet Georgia Brown"), but serves rather to underscore how talented an outfit they were.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#60798) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 19, 2005

Review by NJprogfan
5 stars I hate to go along with the crowd, but this is one of the greatest live documents of a prog band ever. Reason being, the men can damn play their instruments! AND, they don't play exact copies of the songs, they mix it up. Proof..listen to 'Funny Ways' from their first album, then play the live version...Minnear's xylophone solo is just amazing and Weathers is a monster on the drum kit. In fact, I tend to zero in on Weather's drumming, he's SO underated! Honestly, there's only so many other bands that can match their sheer virtruosity, (maybe Zappa...). On top of the playing, one forgets how well they can sing. I mean Ray can wail if he wants to. My only complaint is since this was the INTERVIEW tour, I wish there were more songs from that album. As you can possible garner, I'm in awe of this album and it doesn't ever get stale after repeated plays. They play a great mix of songs up and down the catalog, (in fact, most of their live albums have virtually the same songs). But this is the one to get. Mark it down as a MUST have if you are at all interested in Gentle Giant, but wait until you have all the albums previous. It's like icing on the best cake you'll ever taste. A true masterpiece of prog music.

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#101050) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Review by OpethGuitarist
4 stars One of the best live albums of prog.

Have you ever wanted to hear amazing musicians perform wonderful compositions in an intense environment to near perfection? Well, GG's Playing the Fool might be a good investment then. If your a fan of any of the classic GG material you will probably like something you find on this disc, and it's also great for fans of instrumental prowess.

The performance is quite simply wonderful. All the tunes are excellent, some my all time favorite GG tracks. If you've heard it on the album, just wait till you hear the live version, it's awesome. Get this seminal live release!

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#117446) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 06, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
5 stars One of the greatest live albums of all time. On Playing The Fool eclectic prog rock legend Gentle Giant proved they were far from a studio only band. If you ever wondered if they could play live as good as on their records, this is the album to end any doubts. They were not only consumated players and awesome songwriters: they were a great live act! Expecting them to be a cold and precise band on stage? They were HOT and precise! See their DVDs if you have any qualm left about this issue!

Those guys had a fine stage presence and could performe most of their incredible intricated songs and arrangements with energy, conviction and a smile on their faces (it seems so easy for them!). Of course they were not exactly as performatic as, say, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) but still I found Derek Shulman to be a strong frontman. They did move and showed emotions while playing. Their chemistry is mind blowing, fueled by the years they were performing together. And there is no question about their virtuosity: they play more than 30 (!) instruments among themselves during the course of the show. And they play all very well!

The set list is very good, with songs from every stage of their career up to that point (their best years, by the way). I found the second vinyl side the most interesting: the Excerpts from Octopus were always of the best parts of their live shows, truly awesome (especially the recorders foursome in the middle). Funny Ways is a classic that turned better live than its already great studio version. On Reflection is another highlight, proving those guys could actually reproduce live their intricated vocal harmonies and counterpointing.

As for sound production, I found my russian CD remastered version to be very well done (and actually better than the vinyl I once had). You can hear everything very clearly.

To me this is Gentle Giant´s crowning achievement. It showed the band at their very peak: capable of doing live things that seemed impossible to do without studio trickery.

A masterpiece of progressive music. To put it simply: essential.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#187120) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 27, 2008

4 stars This really is an example of how great a live album can be. Recorded during their "Interview" tour from 1976 the band plays not only a song from that album (the final track) but they play at least one song from the previous 7 albums as well. Before you say What about "Acquiring the Taste" ? They include the title track from that album in the middle of the "Excerpts From Octopus". Go figure ? Anyway they rearranged it for the acoustic guitar if you didn't catch it right away. In fact a lot of these tracks were rearranged for these concerts, something GENTLE GIANT loved to do. What a talented band they were. And that's also what is so great about this recording, we can hear them play this complex music live. The sound here is perhaps louder and rawer then what we're used to from their studio work but that's pretty much what you'd expect. I like the picture in the liner notes of what I thought at first was constellations with lines running to all these different dots. What they are though is all the cities they visited on this tour all over the world. Cool to see they came to my province of Ontario and played not only Toronto as you'd expect but Ottawa and London as well.

So many highlights here, in fact there really isn't a bad track but i'd like to touch on my favourites. "Proclamation" from "The Power And the Glory" opens with piano as vocals come in. I like the instrumental break later followed by those vocal arrangements they're famous for. More of those vocals on "On Reflection" from the "Free Hand" album. Flute and cello early on this one. I should mention that "Free Hand" has the honour of being the album with the most music on this recording. There are five songs sampled on the "Excerts From Octopus" song. They really impress on this 15 1/2 minute track.

"Funny Ways" from the debut is my favourite song on here. Something melancolic about it. I like when it builds late and when it reaches it's peak the crowd roars it's approval. "The Runaway" from "In A Glass House" opens like the studio track with a sample of breaking glass. This is uptempo and so impressive. "Experience" is also from that album and is probably my second favourite song on here. It's so complex and intricate, I just love to really listen to it. The final medley of "Peel The Paint / I Lost My Head" end the recording in style. The former from "Three Friends" is just a killer track with powerful vocals.

A must for GENTLE GIANT fans out there.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#208886) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 26, 2009

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars This was recorded on the 1976 tour for Interview. The group was still a great live act but their studio work was just starting to lose steam. The only track from that album is "I Lost My Head". I would have preferred the title track. The standard "Sweet Georgia Brown" is performed. The most famous version of this song is probably the one used as the theme song for the Harlem Globetrotters. Supposedly they played it because there was some kind of equipment failure at the time.

The "Excerpts From Octopus" part is great, even better than the studio version. This features some of the best moments from what I've always considered to be an inconsistent album. Within this part is featured the title track to Aqcuiring The Taste, done on acoustic guitars instead of Moog synthesizer. The audience applause sort of gives this part away. I should mention drummer John Weathers who does a great job on the material the group recorded before he joined.

GG were an amazing live act in the way the members would switch between different instruments. On this set keyboardist Kerry Minnear seems to not play much synth but instead uses a lot more clavinet than on the studio albums. "Just The Same" is better than the album version. "Proclamation" incorporates "Valedictory" into it. "Funny Ways" is longer and superior to the studio version. "So Sincere" is also longer and better than the original. Almost half of this song is just drums and percussion. "Peel The Paint" only features the last half of the song.

This is a great album and sounds decent for a live recording from this time. It's too bad they started losing the magic in the studio albums after this. I've heard some live GG from 1974 but I wonder what the group sounded like live when brother Phil was still a member. In some ways this could make a good introduction for a GG newbie. 4 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#403574) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review by friso
4 stars Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool - The Official Live (1977)

This prog live album is quite famous in the prog community, and for a good reason. By the time this album was released it was perfectly clear (after many many brilliant studio albums) that Gentle Giant was one of the best progressive rock bands in the fields. Their amazing musicianship, use of a huge amount of instruments, musical innovation, vocal experimentation and quantity of quality material is perhaps unmatched. It's a real treat to have a band that is really Progressive with the big P. Lately I've seen two live dvd's of Gentle Giant and I was amazed by how these extreme hard-to-play arrangements actually work on stage and how many instruments they played. Of course this is still the case on a live album on double vinyl of the same years. Yes - Gentle Giant proves to be perfectly capable of playing their rocket-science compositions on stage.

The live versions of most tracks are reminiscent of their original studio-tracks, but on Excerpts From Octopus the band shows it's also capable for re-arranging the most difficult compositions for - say - two acoustic guitars. The acoustic guitar skills of (otherwise) bass and violin-player Ray Shulman are really a pleasant surprise. Furthermore Kerry Minnear impresses on the extended metalophone solo on Funny Ways. It's also good to see some extended solo's here and there and some new compositions or intermezzo's that aren't present on the studio-albums. I must admit I did however miss some of the folky vocals during the gentle moments of (I think) Kerry Minnear, his pleasant voice could have been used a bit more in my opinion.

The sound of this live album is good, but don't expect a hard-rock production or sound. The album sounds as if only the sound coming from the stage was recorded and it seems that there was little post-production. The compositions/songs chosen for this live-set are all interesting, but I must admit I'm not that blown away by 'Free Hand' (a song that didn't impress me earlier) and by 'The Experience'. Now I feel tempted to say which songs I would liked to have seen on this live-set, but that information is irrelevant.

Conclusion. This is one of the stronger live albums of the progressive rock genre and it proves that Gentle Giant wasn't a studio phenomenon. Actually, it can help to appreciate their studio-offerings even more, by knowing they could easily reproduce these intricate atmospheres and multi-instrumental parts on stage. Still I'm not giving the five star rating, just because I still prefer the dedicated and mysterious sound of their studio recordings (mainly of their early period), live their music seems to be 'easier to get into'. Still a brilliant live record. Four and a halve stars. Recommend to those who already own some albums by Gentle Giant, others should start with albums like Acquiring the Taste, Octopus or perhaps Free Hand. This isn't the kind of music that most of us like instantly.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#428679) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 07, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
5 stars This album ranks high up there with the best of the seventies progressive rock live albums, on a par with "Yessongs" and "Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends...". It is the only official Gentle Giant live album released while the band was still together. And it captures them at their peak.

Recorded on the "Free Hand" tour, the band is able to draw from it's best material for this live set, although I'm sure we all have favorites that we wish were included. With selections from six of the seven albums released before the show (although my favorite, "Three Friends" is barely touched upon), the band shows it's versatility.

Unlike many some prog band, who would barely change their songs in a live show, Gentle Giant would add quite a bit, and rearrange many sections of their complex pieces (I'm sure some of this was to make it possible for the muti-instrumantalists to get through the songs), making this a treat to those of us who know and love these songs so well.

I see from the listing here that there is an expanded CD version of this album. I must find it!

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#449150) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars Gentle Giant's live triumph is flawless musicianship.

Gentle Giant's live album "Playing The Fool" is a treasure of prog rock at its most exquisite, intricate and whimsical. The sound captured live is quintessential Gentle Giant and almost works as a type of best of the Giant. There is enough variation on offer to make it a worthwhile addition to any collection. The best bits of "Octopus" are here, and tons of medley's and montages of Gentle Giant's inimitable style. The music is full blown prog revved to the max with wonderful soloing on descant recorder on 'Funny Ways', and soaring strings on 'Runaway/ Experience'. This set list is as good as I have heard from Gentle Giant. The brilliant 'Free Hand' and 'Peel The Paint' are played to perfection. 'Free Hand' is perhaps the best I have heard it with wonderful complex time sigs and Minnear's mind bending keyboards.

The original vinyl was a huge multiple vinyl release but it all fits very neatly on one CD and although there are annoying breaks in the tracks, it is great to hear this in one sitting without having to turn over one vinyl side after another. The version I own came with the inferior but entertaining "Civilian" album. It is possible to buy this live album without the extra album but I certainly recommend the double release for value. The 20 page booklet is of high quality with tons of pictures and interesting information about both albums. There are some great quotes in the book liner notes such as "this British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity, progress and originality in their mix," and "they are a musician's band who slowly hypnotise all." The liner notes feature two essays about both "Playing the Fool" and "Civilian". The booklet centrefold is a concert pic with a weird progress chart showing all the concert locations during the tour appearing like some alignment of the stars. Certainly the stars were in alignment when the band played this concert. It is flawless.

The guitar on 'So Sincere' is jaw dropping for instance, and Shulman's vocals are spot on target. Many of these tracks are better than the original studio takes. I love how the band move from track to track seamlessly blending them in and pushing the boundaries with incredible harmonies and musicianship. John Weathers' extended tribal drum solo on 'So Sincere' is worth a listen too along with Minnear's vibes. The violin of Ray is also wonderful throughout, such as on 'Sweet Georgia Brown'. It is really is an incredible performance from the whole band. It is hands down Gentle Giant's best album.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#729711) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012

4 stars Certainly I have been accused of playing the fool on more than one occasion. Just ask my wife! But, I'll save that for another day. In regards to this album let me say that it's one of the best live albums I have ever heard and this coming from a guy who doesn't typically enjoy live albums. ... (read more)

Report this review (#1153919) | Posted by Prog 74 | Wednesday, March 26, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I had to write this review mainly because of the review that was done right before this one. How anyone can think that there were no original compositions on this album? Thinking the songs sounding exactly like their studio counterparts is perplexing. Has to be a joke or they did not even liste ... (read more)

Report this review (#1031346) | Posted by ster | Monday, September 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I love Gentle Giant, but this is an utterly pointless album. Everything is played exactly how it sounded on their LP's, but is missing all the effects, tweakery and trickery that was present on their studio albums. There are no original compositions present either. I really can't understand why ... (read more)

Report this review (#588862) | Posted by Dobermensch | Thursday, December 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Remember what I said about Seconds Out being THE live album of 1977? I was WRONG! Gentle Giant's first live album is probably also their most successful one. This is a peak, and they had nowhere to go but down, not that they were bad afterwards! Over the last few months Giant have become ... (read more)

Report this review (#277659) | Posted by The Runaway | Monday, April 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Somehow, I have always regarded Gentle Giant as the progressive rock's answer to a chamber orchestra, playing baroque music. And that is the best description I can find of this truly unique band. This also explains why I have always kept their music on an arm-length distance. Too weirdo, in my v ... (read more)

Report this review (#185750) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, October 14, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I bought this as an double-LP in 1976 in London during a schooltrip, because the man in the store said this was magnificent symphonic rock. I didn't know the band or their music, but I wanted to buy a London souvenir. At home (Holland) I listened to it, and I couldn't believe my ears. Those guys ... (read more)

Report this review (#174987) | Posted by Sander | Monday, June 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My first Gentle Giant album and still my favorite. I bought it when I was probably about 12 years old and nearly wore the grooves off. Sometimes when your introduction to a band is through their live material, their studio work seems a little flat in comparison. The same thing happened to me wit ... (read more)

Report this review (#172911) | Posted by peskypesky | Monday, June 02, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Even though I've heard to "Playing The Fool" a number of times, I don't actually own the album, and here's why: First of all, I'm not a big fan of live material (except in the traditional jazz field). But in this particular case, the primary thing is that the guys are SO accurate on stage ... (read more)

Report this review (#123978) | Posted by cherry5 | Wednesday, May 30, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is, quite simply, THE Gentle Giant album for me. Could be because it was my first one? Possibly, but this has a power and drive to it that none of their studio albums could match (having heard other live albums of theirs, I must say that this was true of their live shows in general). I ... (read more)

Report this review (#117459) | Posted by infandous | Friday, April 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars SIMPLY THE BEST LIVE-ALBUM I HAVE EVER HEARD. GENTLE GIANT have absolutely no problems to play their complex, multi-instrumental pieces on stage. About the first disc: Already the rocky "Just The Same" (FREE HAND) or the complex "Proclamation" (THE POWER AND THE GLORY) which is played wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#105587) | Posted by Badabec | Thursday, January 04, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is, along with "Roxy & Elsewhere" by Frank Zappa and "Bursting Out" by Jethro Tull one of the best live-doubles in my vinyl collection. Maybe it was meant to be a present to the fan community before GG went down to mainstream business. It's much more than "the best of" Gentle Giant because t ... (read more)

Report this review (#100579) | Posted by nebenfluss | Monday, November 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars At one time the only live music available from this innovative band aside from shoddy bootlegs. At least one track from every studio album is presented here with the exception of 1971`s Acquiring the Taste which is my only qualm with this otherwise excellent live album recorded during the 1976 In ... (read more)

Report this review (#79408) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Friday, May 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars As a relative newcomer to progressive, I picked up Playing the Fool (the double CD anniversary edition) after listening to and loving Three Friends and The Power and the Glory. As far as live albums go, this is very, very impressive. The instrumentals are extremely varied and consistently mind blo ... (read more)

Report this review (#52592) | Posted by Shaikoten | Friday, October 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Live album announced in 1977 "Playing The Fool". Work collected by Europe tour of autumn of 1976. It overflows in the interest only of live. Live album with wonderful indispensable fan. It is a miraculous live album. It is unrelated whether you are a fan of GENTLE GIANT. It is an album that sh ... (read more)

Report this review (#47275) | Posted by braindamage | Monday, September 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I rarely give 5 star reviews, but I'd definitely consider this to be a masterpiece. In fact, THIS BELONGS IN THE TOP 5 OF PROGRESSIVE-ROCK LIVE ALBUMS. Gentle Giant was great in the studio, but the varied nature of recording, and even more varied nature of this band, resulted in a variety ... (read more)

Report this review (#46461) | Posted by | Monday, September 12, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The sound quality of this album is great and there's nothing more to be desired as far as the sound quality and mixing etc. Playing the fool is the best live album I own and some of the songs are even better than they are on their studios (Funny Ways especially) It's also a great opportunity t ... (read more)

Report this review (#44604) | Posted by robertplantowns | Sunday, August 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Gentle Giant was undoubtedly the 70s prog band to end all 70s prog bands. Strangely enough they had a degree of success in the U.S., but right up until their demise, remained obscure as all hell in their native U.K. For those of you who haven't heard Gentle Giant, their music is an ingenious f ... (read more)

Report this review (#6211) | Posted by The Mentalist | Monday, December 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Un-freaking-believable! Listening to GG's studio work, one comes away with the same impression one had of Yes before YESSONGS: great in the studio, lousy in stage. This album shows the band ten times BETTER on stage! Powerhouse performance, and some great twists of humor. They obviously di ... (read more)

Report this review (#6209) | Posted by | Tuesday, November 16, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars In my opinion, the best live album ever released from a prog rock band. It's almost impossible to find better musicians, greater feeling, musicianship and integration in a rock group. The complexity of their sound, the beauty and diversity of their compositions, the passion they showed playing ... (read more)

Report this review (#6208) | Posted by Melos | Wednesday, October 06, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is the definite live album. This is what a live album should do -- capture the essence of the band, convey the excitement of the event, and sound like a concert. This one does it all with perfection. If anyone wonders just how much musicians can accomplish live on stage, "Playing The Fool" answ ... (read more)

Report this review (#6207) | Posted by WAJWAJ | Sunday, June 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENTLE GIANT "Playing The Fool - The Official Live"