Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool - The Official Live CD (album) cover

Gentle Giant

2 stars I love Gentle Giant, but this is an utterly pointless album. Everything is played exactly how it sounded on their LP's, but is missing all the effects, tweakery and trickery that was present on their studio albums. There are no original compositions present either. I really can't understand why live albums get such a high rating on the Archives.

I give this only 2 stars not because it's played badly, quite the opposite in fact. It's so perfect with so little deviation from the studio versions that it feels worthless.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather hear the originals any day. There are vocal, guitar and bass effects that are completely absent which leads imminently to a drab, flat sound that prevails throughout this recording. A real washout of an album - I strongly recommend their studio albums before listening to this. Gentle Giant were untouchable in complexity and uniqueness in the early to mid 70's which at points often bordered on showing off in a manner that few of their contemporaries could match.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |