Topic ClosedFinnforest's Italian Prog (lesser-known) Gems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finnforest's Italian Prog (lesser-known) Gems
    Posted: April 12 2008 at 14:42

The Finnforest Italian Symphonic Prog lesser-known Gems list!

Jim's Italian Top 25: A recommended starter list of '70s Symphonic Italian Prog.

The Rules

• Lesser known bands…ie…no PFM/Banco/Orme.
  • Symphonic-only, no other genres.
  • 1970s classic period only. (Later stuff is another list!)
  • Subject to change at any moment…of course.
  • Get the gatefold mini-lp sleeves wherever possible for maximum sound enjoyment and full display of art!  Japanese or Italian pressings are available for many of these titles.
  • Brief excerpts from my reviews are included. 
  • One album per band only, to get more groups on the list.

The Top 10 "Essential" titles:

(not necessarily in order)

1. Quella Vecchia Locanda – "Il Tempo Della Gioia" 

The heart and soul of romantic Italian, heavily classical with great piano and violin.  Very beautiful music… creative songwriting fusing the rock, classical, and jazz genres; immaculate production with great attention to recording details; exceptional use of violins, flutes, and other classical elements; warm and passionate Italian vocals; and perhaps most importantly an unabashed willingness to project a most romantic style of music.  Don't miss their first album either.

2. Balletto di Bronzi – "YS"

On most Italian top 10 lists, complex and keyboard heavy, on the dark and challenging side.  A phenomenal achievement in mood.  While noted as one of the finest keyboard albums bar none, the other players are equally top notch.  BdB is still  active and performing material from this period, be sure to check out their live DVD as well as this classic.

3. Cervello – "..Melos.."

So awesome, but from the "difficult" branch.  Heavy, sometimes harsh, always playful and wild.  From the darker side, would appeal to VDGG fans.  The musical approach and the sound are very sophisticated and unique. A combination of primarily guitars, flutes and saxes are tightly woven into a very dense, often dark, unsettling, and just plain eerie feel. Some sources say there are no (or very little) keyboards used to create this sound palette which is certainly unusual. Sometimes I think I hear some but I can't be sure the way the other instruments are employed. It took me many plays to really get past the rather exhausting outer shell and discover the melodies hiding inside…

4. Jacula – "Tardo Pede In Magiam Versus"

A masterpiece.  An absolutely out-of-this-world experience that contrasts pure beauty with nightmarish dreamscapes.  Classic cathedral organs, ethereal vocals, ritual chants, strange effects, a recital of the bizarre.  For the open-minded listeners only, this is not rock and roll.  See my full review, one of my favorite albums.

5. Giganti – "Terra in Boca"

this album is not as outwardly "weird and wild" as some of the 73-74 period albums would become, and there are not long extended instrumentals.  But it is no less rewarding.  The music rests on a bed of emotional, spicy piano playing and soft mellotron.  The acoustic guitars are crisp and vibrant, played with a bold passion while electric leads have a gritty yet reserved bite, a compressed distortion.  While not a consistently hard rock album they certainly dig in their heels in a few places.  Occasionally flutes add a nice touch to the edges.  But the real magic of Terra rests in the songwriting, the arrangements, and especially in the vocals.  These guys can sing and harmonize very well, it is pure joy to listen to their dramatic emotional delivery throughout. 

6. Rovescio Della Medaglia – "Contaminazione"

sometimes cited as one of the best, perhaps *the* best example of classical music with progressive rock. The stunning baroque arrangements are seamlessly tied to the RDM sound and are amazingly natural and unforced.

7. Panna Fredda – "Uno"

"Uno" is a dark and mysterious treat bringing to my mind elements of Sabbath, Purple, Atomic Rooster, J.E.T., Hero, and Uriah Heep.  Others have noted the nod to a track called "Heaven" from the first Gracious album and also Black Widow.  The influence of English hard rock and blues-rock are impossible to deny, yet Panna Fredda were beginning the Italian progressive movement by taking those influences and running with them.  Classical elements pervade the album along with some jazzy tidbits here and there.  A certain Baroque sounds creeps along the edges at times whimsical and at other times quite disturbing, bordering on madness.  The lyrics are equally dark and quite good, delving into "ancient folklore and classic literature traditions as well as popular culture" so noted in the CD booklet. 

8. Officina Meccanica – "La Follia ....del.... Mimo di Fuoco"

First, their sound was extremely provocative and daring, incorporating horns into the mix reminiscent of VDGG with even some lesser nods to funk and fusion. Second was their highly theatrical stage shows featuring a mime-faced lead vocalist pushing Ange-level expressiveness.  ..OM.. rest firmly in the more challenging bracket of Italian Prog.  While there are moments of great melodic beauty the main emphasis is on the edginess, tension, experimentalism and passion.  This band is every bit as important, every bit as wild as Semiramis, Balletto Di Bronzo, Osanna, or Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno in my view.    ....

9. Jumbo – "Vietato ai Minori"

Jumbo sounds like the Italian version of Ange! If you like Christian Decamps boisterous spirit and the bands rowdy theatrical sound you will love Jumbo. They are over-the-top sometimes but this music is lively, fun, and interesting despite the somewhat dark lyrical content. A special mention goes to drummer Tullio Gianatello who is nothing short of fantastic.

10. Semiramis – "Dedicato a Frazz"

A hundred car pile-up on the musical freeway.  Insane.  Heavy.  Bold.  Not for the faint of heart but rich and rewarding as a roller-coaster ride after partying a bit.  The vocals are fine robust Italian at their lively best. The guitar playing is energetic on the electric side and expressive on the acoustic side. The rest of the band are fine musicians but not the best I've ever heard. Composition is amazing for a 16 year old kid, this is material you will have to play many times to fully appreciate. A definite grower.  

11. Samadhi – s/t

The sound of Samadhi takes the "standard" Italian prog sound in some new directions, some old ones, and delivers a strange concoction that just makes me feel good.  There is a bit of a happy 60s psych feel at times, some ripping rock guitar, some jazzy excursions, and wild surprises served up with a crisp bit of "Yes Album" enthusiasm to the sound.  Scented Gardens describes the album as "marvellous songwriting, veering between the classic old pop music tradition and jazzy progressive rock….happy songs with a sunny Mediterranean feel, high-pitched lead vocals, fine vocal harmonies, lots of keyboards, laced with guitars and phased drums….great arrangements for strings and brass….even had the bassoon playing an important role….radiates friendly, human warmth and is recommended to those who like the second Procession album."  It certainly is an uplifting experience to me with each element coming and going at just the right moment to keep things exciting.

12. Metamorfosi – "Inferno"

heavy keyboard Italian album, guitars are present but pushed to the back behind an array of moog, organ, piano and harpsichord. Vocalist Davide Spitaleri is likewise considered to have one of the better deep, rich operatic voices and is sometimes compared to the Banco vocalist. Together they create a unique sound that could be described as baroque prog, very dramatic and grandiose…dark and mysterious. An overwhelming presence of keyboards with a very stately and strangely disconcerting sound. You often feel trapped or like you are lost in some maze

13. Rocky's Filj – same

a wild, aggressive mix of symphonic and fusion, with horns.  Not for the faint of heart.

14. Paese dei Balocchi  s/t

The music of PDB is not easy to describe but imagine taking a bit of something like Rovescio Della Medaglia's "Contaminazione" and mixing in some "Atom Heart Mother" era Pink Floyd.  Such comparisons are never adequate but they give one a starting point. 

PDB's rock element is anchored by dramatic organ runs, disciplined electric guitar riffs and thudding tom-toms as witnessed in the heavy opening section.  Soon a harsh break announces this will be no typical rock album as the rock is cut by sudden strings riffing in extreme tension, oozing discomfort.  We are treated to some beautifully scored classical music in yet another very good merging with Italian prog.  The final main element is found as the rock and classical are rolled out into a dreamy, occasionally verging on ambient space-psych soundscape. 

15. Festa Mobile – "Diaro Di Viaggio Della Festa Mobile"

at first listen it sounds less well-rounded and more one-dimensional with the primary focus on rumbling and fast paced piano runs and drumming, while the guitars, vocals, and other things seemed more an afterthought. It was offputting a bit but I stuck with it and now enjoy the strange hybrid jazzy jamming and unique sound. The remastered version features punchy, loud sound and also well-defined separation. Piano and percussion seem to be the leaders of the album but I now notice the other elements as well: tasty lead guitar licks, bass played like a lead instrument, and good vocals.

16. Latte Miele – "Passion Secundum Mattheum"

a true Italian classic, a heavily Bach inspired concept album based on the Passion of Christ. The album is a feast of sound experiences. You will get some soft and lovely passages that sound like Reale Accademia di Musica, but you will also get hard and heavier moments that recall De De Lind's harder sections. In fact, for the prog metalheads this album may be interesting because you have an example of the Therion "choirs vocals" with rock guitar sound a full generation before

17. Ricordi D'Infanzia – "Io Uomo"

"Io Uomo" is one hell of an album. Short but memorable, it is an energetic mix of Deep Purple like hard-rock with lots of organ and ballsy guitar, softer pastoral moments of a sentimental nature and some of the typical Italian strangeness for good measure. Comparisons to other Italian groups might put them somewhere between Califfi and Jumbo, better than the former but less adventurous than the latter.

18. Blocco Mentale – "POA"

a middle ground combining catchy and memorable melodies with playing that is not flashy but is nearly understated perfection. The album glows with a warm organic sound that stimulates emotionally and intellectually on the musical side.  POA stands up with my other favorite lesser known gems by providing a musical experience that is extremely accessible and yet fulfilling enough for Italian prog fans… blending superb musicianship, great vocals, enthusiastic flurries of ideas, good sound, and thoughtful arrangements.

19. Celeste – "Principe di Giorno"

The granddaddy of "pastoral prog" in the opinion of many, this is an album so pretty that your grandmother may like it as much as you.  Decide for yourself if that is a good thing...gorgeous melody made of soft acoustic guitars, flutes, trons, bass, and vocals. The arrangements are impeccable.

20. Osanna – "Palepoli"

There is much here to absorb for fans of wild music, different ideas and sections come and go as fast as nervous birds at a backyard feeder. Psyched up electric guitars, mellotron, sax, lots of flute, chanting, singing, loud, quiet, street noises, percussion, all drifting along like a strange lucid dream. 

21. Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno – "Per un Mondo di Cristallo"

Deeply layered, good vocals, stunning arrangements, complexity, varied and interesting songs, and extremely talented musicians displaying their chops.  Another "challenging" album with much energy and chaos, on the heavier side generally.  This is music for people who like chaotic prog, "hard" prog, music that is not necessarily easy to listen to but rewards after many spins.

22. Basso, Luciano – "Voci"

Voci is a dynamic instrumental powerhouse with much life and vigor, and album guaranteed to delight fans of solid composition, virtuoso piano playing, and those who enjoy strings in their prog. You know when you hear the first notes of piano wonderfully accompanied by the violin, that this album is going to be a special one. It is so alive…it breathes. The composition is elaborate and satisfying, dreamy and longing. Eventually the piece is bolstered by the soaring guitar of Michele Zorzi whose airborn leads appear in several places over this album.

23. Pholas Dactylus – "Concerto Delle Menti"

Musically this is undeniably good and a feast for the prog-head. Carefully arranged, detailed, complex, challenging, jamming. Rock and jazzier styles are traded and even some Krautrock sounding passages find their way into the mix. There is a good balance achieved between the guitar portion of the album and the keyboards. The keys use both organ and piano while guitars range from clean to distorted electric. It is obvious the piece was helped to gel by repeatedly playing it live prior to recording, parts were no doubt discovered and others probably dropped. But I love how the guitars and keys will be doing two completely different things seemingly so you almost have to pick what to listen to….then, at some point the hypnotic effect of this falls away and you notice how well their parts relate.

24. Museo Rosenbach – "Zarathrusta"

A well rounded album with great keyboards and many dramatic moments. 

25. Alusa Fallax – "Intorno Alla Mia"

A well-rounded, representative Italian work with a little something for everyone.  It has a distinct avant-garde feel to it, more so than some of its peers. They do mix clever musical surprises but it never gets outright silly or juvenile, and while things do seem chaotic I have the feeling that the albums excursions were not only planned but agonized over. Nothing sounds like filler here and that's one of my benchmarks of a great album. Classical elements are mixed with rock and jazzy passages, acoustic instruments are mixed with electric seamlessly, vocals sections balance well with the instrumental ones. The playing is very capable but not flaunted for ego. The keyboards are prevalent and perfect here, the vocals are warm and passionate, and the quality guitars/bass/drums are accented by touches of flute, sax, and hand percussion. I love how the keyboards are layered on the first track, you have some in the foreground with these soft misty ones slowly rising and falling in the background.

Notes:  Any list is but a snapshot in time and can never be perfect or permanent.  It is not meant to be definitive but rather as a starting point for the journey of the Italian Noob.  It can be overwhelming to your time and pocketbook once you catch Italian Prog fever.  Hopefully this list will be helpful in managing your affliction.  Good luck and enjoy irresponsibly. 

List written by James Russell

Updated 2-16-09

Edited by Finnforest - February 16 2009 at 20:46

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 10:02
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

5. Reale Accademia di Musica – same
…one of the most stunning examples of the beautiful side of Italian progressive. If you like the legendary Italian sounds of the first two PFM albums or Locanda, you will salivate over RADM…This album is just chock full of great piano, nice laid back vocals, organ, acoustic guitars, violins, mellotron, and solid bass and drums.

The vocals are very weak on this album...Unhappy
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 11:11
No way, my friend.  They are not booming operatic or trained perfect vocals of course, but I didn't say that.  I said they were nice and laid back, both of which are true.  They fit the feel of the music quite well.  They are natural and fragile yes...maybe that means weak in your eyes.  I tend to be pretty accepting of vocals unless they really grate badly.  Take Jerry Garcia...lots of people think he's a terrible singer, I think he's brilliant for the material and the songs of their repertoire.  Could Jerry sing for Nightwish?  Doubtful, but he sings "friend of the devil" better than any trained singer could. 

But thanks for making me pull out my RADM cd this morning, it went down great with my coffee! Tongue

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 14:36
Hi James, great list!
As you know i enjoy reading your reviews since i find them very well written and helpful, also the fact that we share the love for this awesome musical scene, makes me more eager in reading them.
All the albums you listed are worth listening ALL, i would add Capitolo 6 and Panna Fredda on the list.
Cheers!!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 14:37
Oh, and Riccardo Zappa Big%20smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 19:20
Thanks Guillermo, and I will eventually get to R Zappa.  He's on the list.  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 19:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Thanks Guillermo, and I will eventually get to R Zappa.  He's on the list.  

Clap  good man.  You love him. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 20:10
Bumping this because it deserves it. A lot of work, and an excellent source of information.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 21:15
Hey James, I have a good one for you, Samadhi -selt titled . Its from the glory era , a tad jazzy (harder style) with , as usual with ISP, great bass and drums . Let me know   Thomas
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 21:44
Thanks Linus!  Much appreciated!!   Hope it helps. 

Tom, seems that one is on my list to get.  I wonder if it is in print at the moment though.  Could it be a Pentacle case?

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 22:37
What goes around...... You are lucky 'coz Sink probably doesn't have it either!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Mandrakeroot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Italian Prog Specialist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:04
Hey do not forget this album:
5%20stars My review is produced using this review: BMG Ricordi S.p.A. 74321-98160-2

Rating: 9,5/10

One of the more interesting, personal and innovative and unfortunately band from Italy. Unfortunately bacause the all Banco del Mutuo Soccorso's staff work for this album and the band is disbanded when a member was arrested (and the disc almost not even published), stopping the dreams of a band that would have been able to be one of the better, not only in Italy. Interesting, personal and innovative because not having the keyboards but the saxes section the instrumental parts are Jazz Rock but the vocal parts (with the good and exciting voice of Rocky Rossi) are too Rock and Symphonic. So it talks about Symphonic Jazz Rock. In this sense "Il Soldato" or "Io Robot" are very good examples of Rocky's Filj style. Interesting the long "L'Ultima Spiaggia" really boiling, mix between Art Rock, Symphonic and Jazz (for resonance). The instrumental "E" is, instead, a good Jazz Rock. The final piece "Martino" is a really photocopy of the previous sung songs. But with symphonic very exciting final with sax. Interesting one interlude in "L'Ultima Spiaggia" and the intro of "Io Robot" with double-bass and flute that are two good examples of Romantic classic music.

For the Ricordi label the Rocky's Filj have to be one of the tours de force of the catalog for a lot of years. But the Italian justice stopped this band. I should say that still today the regretted it is a lot, also because, this album seems just published, so it is fresh and present. For this reason the 5/5 is little. Another Gem from Italy, another Gem from the Prog world... Very higly recommended!!!

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 12:03

Well Finnforest, after reading your comprehensive list and the rules, as a
           die-hard Classic Italian Progrock fan I would like to recommend:

CHERRY FIVE-Cherry Five

-  Cherry Five included three musicians who later founded Goblin.The music on Cherry Five’s eponymous album from ’75 is very YES-oriented but the keyboards sound more virtuosic than bands like DRUID, ENGLAND or MIRTHRANDIR. The album is a real treat for all progrock lovers: strong and fluent compositions, very melodic and flowing with many good ideas. The emphasis is on the keyboards (Hammond organ and vintage synthesizers), especially the ‘Tronmaniacs’ will be delighted! This is one of the gems of Italian progrock from the Seventies, a bit overlooked due to the attention for PFM, Le Orme, Banco and Goblin.

(I) DIK DIK-Suite Per Una Donna Assolutamente Relativa

- This is the only progressive album I Dik Dik (the name is derived from an African gazelle) made but it is an acclaimed one by the progrock aficionados and progheads. The 11 compositions sound melodic and alternating, from folky to bombastic prog. Although every musician plays very well the focus is on the magnificent keyboard play: sparkling piano, swinging clavinet, sensational synthesizer flights, strong organ floods and majestic Mellotron eruptions. If you like the wonderful sound of the Sixties (warm vocals, acoustic guitars, organ) blended with the progressive sound from the early Seventies (The Moody Blues, The Strawbs), this is a cd to check out!!

LATTE E MIELE - Aquile E Scoiattoli

- Latte E Miele is an acclaimed Italian band from the Seventies. On their first two albums we can enjoy cascades of shifting moods, breaks, accellarations and the climates changes from classical overtones to ELP-like keyboard work or even heavy metal. This third album is the most accessible one, I trace echoes from the early Genesis (especially the keyboards). The long and impressive composition "Pavane" (almost 25 minutes) reminds me of The Enid, Sky and Craft. If you prefer more complex and adventurous prog, I prefer the first two albums to start with but if you like more melodic prog, this is one to discover.

PANNA FREDDA - Uno

- This is an Italian one-shot band that made only one album entitled "Uno". You don't need an Italian dictionary to understand that this means 'one' but to my surprise Panna Fredda showcases two faces on their album! The first and final part features swelling and moving organ play and raw guitar work, to me it sounds a bit like early Eloy. It all sounds very sumptuous, mainly due to the heavy Hammond organ chords. But halfway this album Panna Fredda changes their sound to very mellow featuring acoustic guitar, sensitive vocals and medieval-like keyboards, wonderful. An unique album!

ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA (RDM), IL - Contaminazione

- The third album from RDM is their best, it features lots of Keith Emerson inspired Hammond organ play. Along with the propulsive an dynamic rhythm-section, it evokes also TRACE and EKSEPTION (featuring Dutch pride Rick van der Linden). The instrumentation is very varied including violin, harpsichord, heavy guitar, a violin-section, piano, classical guitar and church organ. At some moments the music sounds a bit freaky or experimental but in general this is wonderful melodic Seventies based progrock. The Italian vocals are beautiful and have a warm sound. By the way, this album is a kind of tribute to Mr. JS BACH, especially the composition “Toccata in D-Fuga”.

RUSTICHELLI & BORDINI - Opera Prima

- Rustichelli & Bordini was a duo who made this wonderful album that turned out to be their swan song. The cover picture is very original: a nude and bald heavy weight man who tenderly holds a baby in his arms. To me this is a metaphor for the music, ranging from warm and tender with soaring violin-Mellotron and classical inspired piano to powerful and swinging with lots of Hammond. The interplay between the keyboards (Hammond, Mellotron, classical orchestrations, piano and synthesizers) is wonderful and the rhythm-section sounds great along emotional vocals in some parts.

SEMIRAMIS - Dedicato a Frazz

- Semiramis made only one album, what a pity because this Italian band sounded so strong and promising. The album contains pleasant and melodic compositions featuring a lot of strings and fiery electric guitarplay. The parts with twanging acoustic guitars and mellow keyboards has obvious echoes from early Genesis. Highlights are some spectacular breaks delivering organ and propulsive guitar riffs, a flashy synthesizer solo and swelling keyboards, followed by a church-organ-guitar. This emphasizes how original Semiramis sounded, this album is one of the most acclaimed Italian progrock gems from the Seventies, discover why!

SENSITIVA IMMAGINE - E Tutto Comincio Cosi

- Almost every inch of this CD (transferred from 1976 tapes) has the spirit of the early GENESIS, only the Italian vocals let you realise that this album is not a kind of ‘lost “Selling England By The Pound” tapes’! Even a live picture on the inside of this digipack (I own the Japanese Melos label version) looks like the early GENESIS. The six compositions (the Musea re-release has three bonus tracks) sound pleasant and melodic featuring warm vocals, great sensitive electric guitar work and lush keyboards. They don’t have the elaborate compositional skills of the other famous GENESIS-inspired band NEUSCHWANSTEIN but I’m sure SENSITIVA IMMAGINE will not be a disappointment if you want to enjoy the 70-77 GENESIS-era.

TRIADE - La Storia di Sabazio

- This is an obscure Italian trio that made only one album. Their music is keyboard driven progrock with strongs hints from the classical music and ELP (organ and synthesizers). The combination of the bombastic keyboards and the acoustic guitar sounds very pleasant. The pieces featuring strings and rhythm-guitar are really breathtaking. The running time is just over half an hour but here you can say: quality above quantity!

Ciao from Holland Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - September 02 2008 at 13:44
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 21:48
@Mandi: what a great album is the Rocky's Filj one, it deserves more attention definitely!!!
@Erik: As usual great and informative list, that Dik Dik album is very good, but be careful with the cover art which is one of the most awful i've ever seen LOL

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 21:53
What about Maxophone, Sensation's Fix , Errata Corrige and Nova ?

Nova's Wings of Love is stunning and UNKNOWN jewel , with Rustici, D'Anna and Rosset in particular form, Why? I ask Why?
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 08:07
Thank you thomas for rescuing this thread as I'd never seen it,  I just got into ISP a month ago but already I have

PFM  Per un Amico and L'isola di Niente
QVL  Il Tempo ...
Celeste
Sensitiva Immagine
Le Orme Uomo di Pezza  

and the newer stuff

Aries
Finisterra
Bacio della Medusa
and the Watch allthough I know they're classified as Neo, I still like them!

Not bad for one month, eh!

edit:   I just looked back at the rules and I wasn't supposed to mention Le Orme or PFM,  also  only  70s band,  I've always been a rebel! 

Sorry  FinnforestTongue

Edited by kenmartree - September 03 2008 at 08:12
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 09:18
^ Not bad for a newbieTongue  I can see you like the melodic stuff...me too; four of your first five there are among my all-time faves and there's plenty more of those out there.  I bet you'd really dig La Locanda delle FateSmile
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 09:59
Tis true I like the softer stuff, but hey you guys have Bacio della Medusa under Heavy Prog!  and I'm lovin it.Tongue
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 13:05

my top progressive album of the yearApprove  the subgenre isn't that important, the music is great...if micky was here (*puts on Detroit Tigers hat with swig of diet coke) he'd say something like:  it is.. what it is....the music can.. and does.....speak for itselfTongue

Edited by jimmy_row - September 03 2008 at 13:07
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 13:25
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

...if micky was here (*puts on Detroit Tigers hat with swig of diet coke) he'd say something like:  it is.. what it is....the music can.. and does.....speak for itselfTongue

* spits out Diet Sprite all over keyboard *

LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>