Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - whats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats your personal most pefect song ever recordd?
    Posted: May 21 2008 at 18:03
ELP - Trilogy
or
DT - In the Name of God

There isn't a single flaw in either of those songs.
KrakAtack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 04:09
OK so I didn't answer the question.............I'll go with In-a-gadda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly----------------at 1000+ watts per channel,  it sounds like a herd of elephants charging through the living room....................
KrakAtack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 04:06
Originally posted by Mandrakeroot Mandrakeroot wrote:

A perfect song? Hard to choose. But "Sve ce to mila moja prekriti ruzmarin, snjegovi i sas" by Bijelo Dugme is an example of perfect song like "Roundabout" by Yes or "Traveller" or "L'Isola Di Niente" or "Celebration" by PFM... And If I had to choose there would be many more songs to be included in this list... Songs from Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Focus, Ekseption, Le Orme, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Symphony X, Pavlov's Dog, Cynic...!

I'm with you..............all of those groups and many more have songs that fit the bill...............Pavlov's Dog...........I actually have an album of theirs..........Focus,  Le Orme, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Yes, PFM, etc...have them all................all great...all different.....and I'm willing to bet that my favorite songs by these groups are probably not what most people think is their best.......In fact, for example......Focus....well before they were Focus, they were Brainbox.....they had a song called Dark Rose...........blows anything Focus did out of the water....................
KrakAtack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 03:59
Originally posted by Drumolator Drumolator wrote:

To me it is "Song for America" by Kansas.  Honorable mention also goes to "Rhayander" by Camel.  Peace.

Great choices............I must add No Trains To Heaven by Be Bop Deluxe
KrakAtack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 03:58
Originally posted by Drumolator Drumolator wrote:

To me it is "Song for America" by Kansas.  Honorable mention also goes to "Rhayander" by Camel.  Peace.
bang! View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 21:30
" instant pussy" from the first matching mole record
glen- "funny world..."
h.i. "damn funny."
glen- "somebody oughtta sell tickets..."
h.i. "i'd buy one..."
Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 20:48
And You And I by Yes is my personal choice for a perfect song.

1. The guitar intro quietly shouts to the listener " shut up and listen! " It's just a perfect opening piece.
2. The song slowly builds to a majestic climax at the middle of the song and then does it all over again for the second part of the song. Good stuff!
3. there is a perfect balance between all five members putting their stamp on the song. Good bass lines, nice keyboard solo and keyboard atmosphere, Bill Bruford's drumming is spotless and unique, Jon Anderson's singing is a perfect example of the voice as an instrument. Anderson,Squire & Howe also have very good harmony on this track. The lyrics are also a perfect example of painting pictures with words. If anyone steals the show on this track it's Steve Howe. from the guitar Intro to his innovative use of the pedal steel guitar, he is just amazing.
4. It's just a solid song with high energy in parts and quiet moments in others. Innovative and virtuoso playing. A flawless composition.
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 03:10
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

I can surely say Even In the Quitest Moments by Supertramp.
Not the best of the band but close. The voices are incredible, and the structure of the song is very well done as Can Utility and the Coastliners, not the same magnitude of course but still...life? hehe

In The Quietest Moments is such a beautiful song. My first and one of my favorite Tramp albums.

Actually, there's only a few Tramp albums I can't get into... "Crisis?" being one of them Embarrassed

Anyways, yes, great song, very peaceful and melodic. Me likee
Drumolator View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 23:36
Mark Wellman
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 21:16
I can surely say Even In the Quitest Moments by Supertramp.
Not the best of the band but close. The voices are incredible, and the structure of the song is very well done as Can Utility and the Coastliners, not the same magnitude of course but still...life? hehe
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Pilgrims - Van Der Graaf Generator of "Still Life"

A number of reasons really:
- It's not self-indulgent but you can tell they are good musicians
- Some really nice organ playing by Mr Banton, if you are a keys player, you will appreciate it for sure!
- Amazingly schizophrenic yet tuneful vocals that portray one of the best melodic lines i've ever heard
- Really quite deep lyrics, I welled up the first time i heard them because i felt the lyrics describe me in a way "unknown in our purpose; alone but not worthless at home"
- Great arrangement over two themes: theme 1 x2, theme 2, theme 1, theme 2, instrumental along melody lines of theme 2, where David Jackson and Guy Evans deserve a mention
- It feels like an epic but is a mere 7 minutes, so you don't get bored but still experience the epicness of it

I think that is all that can be said, and the song is quite simply perfect, no question. There's nothing wrong with it for me.

Thatīs so f**king true!!! Probably "House with no door" may do it as well.Tarkus is another one
You havenīt named "Peaches en regalia" thats a crime

Confortably Numb in PULSE , Ephitaph and "IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON" specially , "I talk to the wind is a perfect ballad.I almost forget about "Song of the gulls"
proggrl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:11
For me eas - Shades by echolyn - just beacuse it encompasses everything I love about music in the most perfect way.  :)
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:24
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

It's not prog, and it's swedish. As far as prog goes, though, "Sea Song" from Rock Bottom is a pretty perfect song in terms of balance between melody, atmosphere, emotion, and experimentation.

Kent, I suppose Smile
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:12
It's not prog, and it's swedish. As far as prog goes, though, "Sea Song" from Rock Bottom is a pretty perfect song in terms of balance between melody, atmosphere, emotion, and experimentation.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 09:51
It must be Mother Sky by Can. Perfect trip. Almost makes me wish I was a dopesmoker. 
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Astrodomine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 09:39
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

nothing beats Henry Cow's "Beautiful as the Moon / Terrible as an Army with Banners" in terms of progression, well-judged improv-to-structure ratio, ability to haunt and overall life-enhancing correctness in music. Nothing, not even bloody Magma. o:)

I agree! This song is perfect in all senses!

Also:
Inca Roads - Frank Zappa
Histoire Sans Parole - Harmonium

Edited by Astrodomine - May 07 2008 at 09:41
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 20:37
Ok, I'll admit, I didn't see Big Country coming.  I'll have to seek that song out now.

With that being said, I thought of two songs that are close to perfection, for me. 

Dark Star by Fish.  Amazing song, lyrics are strong, the structure is sound, the instrumentals are awe inspiring and the complete product is about as good as it gets.

Promised Land by Queensryche is another fantastic sounding song.  The vocals and music, again wonderful and the most striking bit about the song is the space in it.  It's not cluttered, every noise, note, word and pause can be heard with almost perfect alacrity.

ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 20:26

I would nominate The Trees version of She Walked Through the Fair as the perfect Traditional Folk Rock song.  Celia Humphris'  vocal is sublime with a stunning instrumental mid-section. 

There have been heaps of other versions of this song, of course, including Simple Minds using the tune for Belfast Child.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 17:53
Perfect songs? Well, I'm not going to try to explain them, but these songs just really "do it" for me.

Pain of Salvation- People Passing By, In the Flesh, Idioglossia, Beyond the Pale, Iter Impius
Dream Theater- Metropolis Part 1, Learning to Live, Voices
Kayo Dot- The Manifold Curiosity, Aurora on an Asylumn Wall
maudlin of the Well- Heaven and Week, The Ferryman, Girl with a Watering Can, Gleam in Ranks, Birth Pains of Astral Projection
Dark Suns- Flies in Amber, 29
Genesis- The Musical Box, Get 'Em Out by Friday, Supper's Ready, Firht of Fifth
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here, Dogs, Intersteller Overdrive
The Mars Volta- Cassandra Gemini
Opeth- When, April Etheral, Moonlaps Vertigo, Face of Melinda, Bleak, The Drapery Falls, Blackwater Park
Transatlantic- All of the Above
Marillion- Script for a Jesters Tear, Fugazi, The Last Straw, Easter, The Invisable Man
Le Orme- Sopesi Nell 'Incredible
Van der Graaf Generator- White Hammer, The Emporer in his War Room, Man Erg, La Rossa, Arrow
Grayceon- Sounds Like Thunder
White Willow- Cryptomenysis, The Reach, Anemnasis, Chemical Sunset, Soulburn, Ghost

I've probably got a few others, but everyone of these songs is perfect to me.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Grimfurg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 06:52
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by Grimfurg Grimfurg wrote:

Kohntarkosz - Magma (part 2 to be a little bit more precise). There's something that just really gets me with this song. It's insane.

There's surely more.

You are a winner.

I know right?
I mean, the intro is amazing, the rhodes piano riff is awesome. And the way that riff builds up is sick. Then when the group vocals come it's just insane. And let's not talk about the guitar solo, it's ending is immense. My favorite part though is when Vander goes crazy and starts his monologue.
I dare someone to find a song that has as much fearsome power as this one.

I should also add (these are amazing, but behind Kohntarkosz):
King Crimson - Starless
Genesis - Los Endos; The Musical Box
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Meeting Of The Spirits
Soft Machine - Slightly All The Time...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>