FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew laptop advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 08:52
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

but of course the graphics card can't be upgraded so the time frame during which you can play new games is more limited than with a normal computer.

its not just that, its take time for a card to become compatible  with a laptop, so by the time it  would become compatible , it would be all ready considered as average card. so basically you will buy an average card that will cost you more then it would  for pc, and you cant upgrade it.

as for AMD, Intel controlling the laptop market, and resistance is futileCool.
its not that you cant find AMD, its just that Intel is better, and AMD is more hard to find.

in my opinion buying laptop for gaming is really stupid.
The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 09:12
Time for my usual mantra on the subject.

Get a Mac!
bluesynight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 09:20
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Time for my usual mantra on the subject.

Get a Mac!

mac for gaming?
when he says that he want a gaming laptop, i dont think he meant that he wants to play  "Solitaire".

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 09:34
..it's all academic anyway - he's already bought it.

Edited by darqDean - May 01 2008 at 09:36
What?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 09:43
Originally posted by bluesynight bluesynight wrote:

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Time for my usual mantra on the subject. Get a Mac!
mac for gaming?when he says that he want a gaming laptop, i dont think he meant that he wants to play  "Solitaire".

Oh, I thought he needed a new computer.

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 10:08
Guys, I'm not buying a machine for gaming!

There's a few games I may play on it, but they're not that graphics intensive, it's just that I cannot play them on my current machine and the ones I can, are slow.

Most of the time I'll be doing Internet related stuff and I always have a lot of tabs open in Firefox, plus a Genealogy program (with 10000+ records on it) and sometimes even some PDF files and Spreadsheets, so it's all about the multitasking for me.  Currently, it's often a chore to have lots of stuff open simultaneously.

I also may - at a future date - decide to dabble with music on it, so a relatively high-spec machine will last me hopefully a few years, unlike a cheaper and lower spec, which may last a year, or even less.  I just don't want to have to buy another laptop within two years.  The sort of things I'll be doing on it hopefully won't mean I'll need an upgrade any time soon.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 11:16
then you should care about RAM, and not about your video card.  
(Oliver Herford)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 11:34
It's going to have plenty of RAM in it as well.  I get the best of both worlds that way.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 12:31

in my opinion buying laptop for gaming is really stupid.

Depends on which games you want to play. Not all games are that demanding in terms of graphics hardware ... for example you can play Half Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source or even Team Fortress 2 on any ~$1000 notebook which comes with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM and NVidia/AMD graphics chip.

Of course if you're into games which also come out on consoles the way to go would be console + cheaper notebook.Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 01 2008 at 12:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 13:35

~$1000 notebook which comes with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM and NVidia/AMD graphics chip.

Of course if you're into games which also come out on consoles the way to go would be console + cheaper notebook.Smile

actually my friend got a nice DELL a week ago, yes you can buy  one for 1000$ and play games, but we checked allot of laptops in this price area, and i can tell you that if you buy one with a nice video cards its mean that it would be heavier, and the battery dies really fast, and i mean REALLY fast.

consoleErmm, not a bad ideaSmile. deepens on your taste, personally i love only RPG's and quests, so i dont like consoles.
(Oliver Herford)
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 13:43

I'm thinking about getting a Toshiba Satellite laptop.  Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Probably 3G RAM, and the most storage I can find since I plan on dual-booting XP and Ubuntu.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 15:19

~$1000 notebook which comes with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM and NVidia/AMD graphics chip.

actually my friend got a nice DELL a week ago, yes you can buy  one for 1000$ and play games, but we checked allot of laptops in this price area, and i can tell you that if you buy one with a nice video cards its mean that it would be heavier, and the battery dies really fast, and i mean REALLY fast.

consoleErmm, not a bad ideaSmile. deepens on your taste, personally i love only RPG's and quests, so i dont like consoles.

Well I'll certainly be getting Neverwinter Nights 2, as I'm also an RPG fan.  I know it's not supposedly amazing, but I like a lot of the fan mode modules on Neverwinter Nights, so I'm hoping there's some goodies.  Plus it's 3.5e rules, without the addition of made-up Bioware feats.

Anyhow, I don't know what spec it is, but I know they said that it's been designed with SLI in mind, so it's not that behind the times.

I'm the same with consoles.  RPGs are better on PC and I know a lot of people seem to play RPGs on laptops, for some strange reason.

As I said though, apart from the first NWN and NVM 2, I don't know what other games I'll be playing, except maybe Oblivion.

Edited by James - May 01 2008 at 15:20
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 21:40
I'm probably getting a MacBook for college this summer.  It's kind of crazy, even the basic white MacBook has 4x the amount of RAM as my current PC, the upgraded has 8x as much.  The black looks cool too, but I don't think it justifies spending more money just for the colour.  For the same amount of money (well technically, my parents are paying for most of it as a graduation/birthday presentWink), I could buy an IBM or something with better specs, but using other peoples Macs and talking to them really makes me want to make the switch.  The last computer game I purchased was Black & White so I'm not much of a PC gamer.

Edited by Bluesaga - May 01 2008 at 21:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234