Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Only Toby Driver et al Thread You'll Ever Need
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Only Toby Driver et al Thread You'll Ever Need

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 00:43
Preordered the album, complete with shirt and pillowcase. I don't want to listen to the streaming, though, I want a surprise.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 17:16
Bump.

New rankings:

Choirs of the Eye (10.0)
Bath (9.3)
Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue (9.2)
In the L..L..Library Loft (9.1)
Blue Lambency Downward (8.9)
Leaving Your Body Map (8.8)
Sixty Metonymies (8.6)
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:18
BLD went way down, whatsupwiththat?
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:21
Did that mean I just thought it was pretty good because BLD is the only Kayo Dot album I've heard so far?
I should get around to checking out their other stuff.....
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:31

I warn you BLD is the easiest listening stuff Kayo Dot has put out yet, Choirs of the eye, and especially Dowsing are extremely hard to listen to/get into.

laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 18:33
Depends where your tastes are. I'm hearing more jazz in BLD than on previous releases and that can scare me away more than drone.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 20:23
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

BLD went way down, whatsupwiththat?

I got over my fanboyism and gave it some fair listens.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 20:35
Every motW and Kayo Dot album is a 10 in my book, especially the new one. I love how they're all so different from each other.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 20:51
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Every motW and Kayo Dot album is a 10 in my book, especially the new one. I love how they're all so different from each other.

That is indeed one of the best aspects of their music.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 21:34
Can't wait for their new album to arrive. Big%20smile

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 19:08
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

folly? ;P

Anyway, band is neato and are currently winning 2008. They're in the lead. You heard.

Yeah, I changed my name to align with the other forums I visit.

I'm such a fanboy.

Total Toby Driver disco ranked/rated (except My Fruit Psychobells):

1. Choirs of the Eye (10.0)
2. Blue Lambency Downward (9.9)
3. Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue (9.8)
4. In the L..L..Library Loft (9.6)
5. Bath (9.5)
6. Sixty Metonymies (9.2)
7. Leaving Your Body Map (8.8)

what about My Fruit Psychobells?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 19:10
can't wait to get this new one.  I cannot get enough of Kayo Dot/motw....one of a kind band, very unique and dare I say "original"?????

great stuff.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 19:31
that song from the split with Bloody Panda is completely horrifying, love it! 
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:38
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

3 > 1

1 <3
I love the number one.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:41

Ementeht-Re is going to be awesome, but let's face it, at this point, Kayo Dot>Magma.

:|

but let's face it, at this point, Kayo Dot>Magma.

: o

Kayo Dot>Magma.

SHUN'D
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:43
I refuse to listen to the new album until my hardcopy arrives, so I can't rank it but I say,

DAWCT >>>> COTE

I don't understand why Dowsing seems to do so poorly. Don't get me wrong, I'd say Choirs of the Eye is a 4.5~5 star album, but I still feel Dowsing is significantly better.

Can some fellow Kayo Dot fans elaborate what it is that makes Dowsing worse than the others.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:52
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I refuse to listen to the new album until my hardcopy arrives, so I can't rank it but I say,

DAWCT >>>> COTE

I don't understand why Dowsing seems to do so poorly. Don't get me wrong, I'd say Choirs of the Eye is a 4.5~5 star album, but I still feel Dowsing is significantly better.

Can some fellow Kayo Dot fans elaborate what it is that makes Dowsing worse than the others.

-it doesn't feel like the cohesive whole that Choirs is.  Sure, basically every track is amazing (the first three are pretty much perfect, On Limpid Form is amazing as well), but it doesn't feel like the single entity that is Choirs

-On Limpid Form.  As amazing as it is, the grind that is the last 2/3 of the song just isn't as revelatory as you come to expect from the band that gives you Choirs of the Eye

-Amaranth the Peddler.  Here's the real reason.  This song is about eight minutes too long.  In that middle section with the awesome melody, this song shows the potential to be a perfect, Pitcher of Summer-like track.  But it honestly drags on.

-it never hits the highs of Choirs.  Let's face it.  As awesome as Dowsing gets at its best moments, it has nothing that rivals that first climax in The Manifold Curiosity, or the end of The Manifold Curiosity, or the deconstruction of Marathon, or the beauty of Wayfarer, or the crushing beauty of The Antique.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Dowsing, but Choirs is, on every level, the better CD IMO.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:54

DAWCT >>>> COTE

dowsing took me longer to get into because it is more subtle in the songwriting, meaning the progressions seem to be much slower and it builds at a more languid pace than Choirs, which is completely immediate for me.  Dowsing now sits as a masterpiece of progressive/jazzy doom madness.  It is so tortured.....and it is not worse at all, just takes more listens to appreciate fully (like all of the greats).

I am also waiting until I get a hardcopy to listen to the new one.....

Edited by avalanchemaster - May 03 2008 at 23:55
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 23:59

DAWCT >>>> COTE

-it doesn't feel like the cohesive whole that Choirs is.  Sure, basically every track is amazing (the first three are pretty much perfect, On Limpid Form is amazing as well), but it doesn't feel like the single entity that is Choirs

-On Limpid Form.  As amazing as it is, the grind that is the last 2/3 of the song just isn't as revelatory as you come to expect from the band that gives you Choirs of the Eye

-Amaranth the Peddler.  Here's the real reason.  This song is about eight minutes too long.  In that middle section with the awesome melody, this song shows the potential to be a perfect, Pitcher of Summer-like track.  But it honestly drags on.

-it never hits the highs of Choirs.  Let's face it.  As awesome as Dowsing gets at its best moments, it has nothing that rivals that first climax in The Manifold Curiosity, or the end of The Manifold Curiosity, or the deconstruction of Marathon, or the beauty of Wayfarer, or the crushing beauty of The Antique.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Dowsing, but Choirs is, on every level, the better CD IMO.

I really have to disagree with your last statement especially. I feel that the crescendo in Amaranth The Peddler start "feathers..." is the highest point Kayo Dot has hit.

Also, I tend to feel Choirs of the Eye is a tiny bit formulaic in structure of songs from the quiet intros to the heavy dissonance.

I think the reason I tend to enjoy it so much is don't hear the sections that so many people drag on. I very much like the minimalism and noise sections.

Thanks for the in-depth response.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 00:08

The problem with all your arguments is that they're subjective, and I respectfully disagree with them all. Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>