Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuying Prog CDs at Stores

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying Prog CDs at Stores
    Posted: April 06 2004 at 01:35

I've found myself completely frustrated over the lack of selection for Progressive Rock CDs, especially the fact that there doesn't seem to be a section just for Progressive Rock.

So far I'm trying to find CDs by Glass Hammer and the Flower Kings, but have not found them to any avail. Where do you usually buy CDs?

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 01:48
In Mexico there's a store called "Mixed up", where actually you can buy certain records of progressive artists, lucky enough for us, there is a section of "old prog" that consists of cheap albums, you know, $9 u.s., also, there is the "serious" section where you can find a fair amount of records, but if you are looking for something really special, you ask for it, and they deliver that record within 2 weeks, so, if you're coming down to mexico, don´t forget to go to that store.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 03:44
I now very rarely use record stores, except 'Moores' in Stevenage, where I live - this is a small independant store, which somehow keeps going, despite the fact that it commits the heinous crime of stocking little or no chart material.

Generally, I now use Amazon.com, 101CD.com or even E-Bay (quite a good resource for cheap CD's) - at least there, you are almost guaranteed to get the CD you want for a reasonable price - especially now as Amazon are providing a forum to sell 2nd hand CDs through them.

Still, doesn't compare with the old thrill of leafing through hundreds of vinyl albums at the record fairs of my youth, and finding the ultra rare Hendrix import for 50p in mint condition.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
StarshipTrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 06:09

I dont really go to the stores much now. I tend to get mine from GFT which is a mail order only company. They have a massive catalogue of prog rock that they will send out to you with an order, or you can see the catalogue pages on their site.

http://www.gft-cyclops.co.uk/gft/gftinfo.html

will View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 06:40

There aren't any shops near me that stock much prog although they do have some of the more mainstream prog like Yes. I usually buy my CD's off the internet, through sites like Amazon.com.

I wish shops would sell more Prog but i guess it just isn't profitable at the moment.

Long live progression.
Will
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 07:03

Almost entirely mail order for prog.

There is exactly 1 (one), count 'em, 1 music store in town; a super-Mega-come-to-the-mall-with-your-life-savings-Sam-the-S ham-Goody store where you can buy all the music you want as long as it's Hip Hop, boy bands or vacuous little blonde chanteuses.

The only thing they are good for is picking up the hideously over-priced uncut releases of DRAGONBALL Z.

<SMILIE>

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 08:47
I buy my albums on eBay, most of them...some from Amazon...and sometimes I go to a big music-store in Frankfurt (World of Music)...they have some stuff but not really much, but I found Flower Kings, Gentle Giant, Yes and all the 'big' and 'famous' ones...
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 10:21

It's nearly impossible to find any PROG at music stores. Occassionaly, Borders Bookstore, Barnes and Noble or Tower Records will have a few. I found some Camel and Gentle Giants CD's in these stores, but for the most part it's Amazon and Ebay. I've also found that Progrock Records has reasonable prices, but they only has a few bands. Here's the link:

http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/?PHPSESSID=cc539f9e97fc2 1ed13583367c709de07

Salem Hill "Be" is a great album. Some bands have MP3's or samples.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 12:09

We had a prog/metal store here in Montréal but it recently went under. If you're ever in Montreal check out Beatnick Records on Rue St.Denis. Tons of vinyl and collectors stuff even a section devoted specifically to Prog CD's and vinyl! The owner knows his stuff and is a former local musician. Contact him over the web if you have any specific requests. Go to www.beatnickmusic.com.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 17:16

As above mentioned I use GFT who have an extensive range (see their catalogue - both in a book form and on-line).

Another excellent mail order company that deserves a mention are

Freak Emporium -

https://www.freakemporium.com/new/index.html

dt_1928 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 17:27

i got moving pictures at wal mart

i was uncool before uncool was cool.
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 17:35

Originally posted by dt_1928 dt_1928 wrote:

True - RUSH, YES, DREAM THEATER and PINK FLOYD albums (though by no means the complete catalog at any particular time) seems to be readily available anywhere.  And also, I always seem to be able to find JETHRO TULL'S "War Child".

<SMILIE>

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 17:44

I Don't know about DT, I have yet to find a copy of any of their CD's... anywhere!

The fact that there is only one good music store in our little redneck town (Zellers), which stocks almost no good cds is the main catalyst that tempts me to download music via the internet. Man I hate being in the middle of nowhere.

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 18:56

Glass-prision, where you live?...

why not the guys that have a lot of records burn some of them an then mail it to those who aren't lucky enough to live near a record store????

i mean it, i hope these thing reaches some of the "american" side of the atlantic-ocean dwellers

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 19:03

I live in this obscure little town(Who's name isn't worth mentioning), about half an hour from a decent sized city(which is still too obscure to name, but if you have heard of Guelph, you are on the right road), which is about two hours northwest of Toronto.

And I'm all for sharing burned CD's, if it is the only way prog can spread

dt_1928 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 19:06
Originally posted by Stormcrow Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by dt_1928 dt_1928 wrote:

True - RUSH, YES, DREAM THEATER and PINK FLOYD albums (though by no means the complete catalog at any particular time) seems to be readily available anywhere.  And also, I always seem to be able to find JETHRO TULL'S "War Child".

<SMILIE>

they didnt have any dreamtheater when i was there last, and i didnt think to look for yes, and they had some floyd.

i was uncool before uncool was cool.
Alexander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 19:12

I purchase all my Prog & Jazz albums at these two independent record stores:

Ameoba Records in Hollwood, California

Rhino Records in Claremont, California

On A Dilemmia Between What I Need & What I Just Want

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 19:14

well, if you are up to the task of sharing your location we may be able to send some copies of cd's, actually for me in Mexico is very cheap to send somethings to canada or USA, so... it would be nice to share music the way it is intended to be

peace

Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 12:19

I've mentionned this before on another thread :

In Montreal we are quite lucky we have a little store that specilises in Prog and Prog / Metal . They have a great selection and if they don't have it they will order it for you. (they can order about any prog band you can think of unless its discontinued)

You can also order via their internet site . Its worth checking out :

http://www.freesonrock.com

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 12:55
The Prog/Metal store here in Montreal I thought went under didn't. It's called Freeson and they can get stuff from all around the world plus they have a lot of titles in stock in store their website is www.freesonrock.com. I've bought tons of stuff from them. I was int the store yesterday and bought Trace Birds right from the shelf so they always have a good selection of new and used prog CD's on hand.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>