Topic ClosedPhil Collins announces his "retirement"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phil Collins announces his "retirement"
    Posted: May 23 2008 at 11:26
In an interview with the British newspaper The Times, Phil Collins happened to mention that he was retiring.

Initial suggestions that he was retiring from music altogether appear to have been toned down. It now seems he is retiring from touring, but may still perform from time to time. No further albums are planned (at present), although he will continue to write.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 13:50
After sitting through his last studio album, the extremely lame "Testify," I think retirement might be his only option...
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 14:25
Collins was quoted as saying: "I won't actually commit to retirement, but you can run a story about maybe sort of retiring!  Please print my name in the newspaper, I need publicity of any kind! "

Wink
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 14:41
Tis is old news....This was reported at  www. progressivears.com two weeks ago.......
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 17:48
I thought he already retired from touring. He did a farewell tour a couple of years ago, because his ears were being damaged from touring. I was surprised that he did a comeback, really.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 21:51
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I thought he already retired from touring. He did a farewell tour a couple of years ago, because his ears were being damaged from touring. I was surprised that he did a comeback, really.

Yes I also remembered that, but lets be real, some farewell tours are good to get a lot of cash based in nostalgia and a new chance to resurect a dying career.

You always use the excuse "I wanted to retire, but the audience wants me back".

Iván

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 23:26
" I thought he already retired from touring. He did a farewell tour a couple of years ago, because his ears were being damaged from touring. I was surprised that he did a comeback, really."

It is my understanding that it was not touring that caused the damage to his hearing.  He had a bad ear infection that left him deaf on one side.  After that his doctors recommended that he not tour any more to protect the hearing in the other ear. 

I had a similar infection in 2000 and lost about 50% of the hearing in my right ear, and now have a pretty bad case of tinitus.  The high pitched whine  (a minor second e/d#) never ever stops.  I wouldn't get back in front of the old Marshall stack for all the money and fame in the world.

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 02:46
PC is grumpy because Rutherford and Banks will not commit to another studio album.

I reckon Phil should just give up from enticing Rutherford out of the polo club and Banks from " skulking" and get Steve Hackett and PG to do a new Genesis studio album. After all they still have copyright to the name right?Wink I am sure PC would love to just do backing vocals and hide behind the drum kit!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 04:23
Originally posted by proggy proggy wrote:

Tis is old news....This was reported at  www. progressivears.com two weeks ago.......

Gosh, 2 weeks ago?!Shocked

LOL
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 04:54
Won't see "the battle of salmacis" perfomed live by the five of them, then...
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 05:05

What a lame excuse ... as a (former) drummer he should know that this kind of damage can be easily prevented.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 05:58
Terrible news .. shocking ..   shocking   ..  progs never going to be the same without him  Cry

Wink  
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 06:42
Genesis popped up on the BBC Breakfast TV couch this week, to promote the DVD of last years tour (or a 'rockumentary' about it. Collins said there, he could not envisage touring again, but said there would probably be one off events and performances with Genesis. When Bill Turnbull asked that old chestnut of a question 'Will you ever get together with Peter Gabriel again' They gave the same answer as their previous 200 press releases on the subject: 'Yes, and No. Never say never etc etc..' Actually, Banks did say that he like the idea of performing 'The Lamb..' again, with Gabriel.

A viewer e-mailed and asked Tony Banks about the equipment he uses to get those 'vintage keyboad sounds'

Be honest now, which one of you lot was that..?    

Edited by Blacksword - May 24 2008 at 06:43
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 13:04
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

What a lame excuse ... as a (former) drummer he should know that this kind of damage can be easily prevented.

For what I read, Phil Collins Tinitus was not caused by drumming, it was cause by an infection:

Quote That's what happened to Phil Collins, who, as a result of a viral infection, sustained loss in selected frequencies in his left ear around five years ago. Although his hearing loss wasn't caused by noise exposure, the drummer and producer has stepped away from the mixing board. "I figured if someone was going to pay me to produce an album, I'd better have two good ears," he says. "Also, I was putting too much bass on, because that's one of the things that's gone."

Of course, once you got Timitus, high volume music will cause pain, but as Mike said it's a lame excuse, because we all saw Keith Moon using protective headphones 30 years ago to avoid this problem (He only heard John Entwistle bass and filtered the vocals and Pete's guitar)..

But Phil is used to say one thing, forget after a while and say a totally different thing some years later. If he retires (what I consider a blessing Wink), it's because he's tired of touring and has enough bucks to live, so he doesn't need to give lame excuses..

He can retire whenever he wants and nobody has a word to say about that.

Iván

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 13:21
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

For what I read, Phil Collins Tinitus was not caused by drumming, it was cause by an infection:

Quote That's what happened to Phil Collins, who, as a result of a viral infection, sustained loss in selected frequencies in his left ear around five years ago. Although his hearing loss wasn't caused by noise exposure, the drummer and producer has stepped away from the mixing board. "I figured if someone was going to pay me to produce an album, I'd better have two good ears," he says. "Also, I was putting too much bass on, because that's one of the things that's gone."

Of course, once you got Timitus, high volume music will cause pain, but as Mike said it's a lame excuse, because we all saw Keith Moon using protective headphones 30 years ago to avoid this problem (He only heard John Entwistle bass and filtered the vocals and Pete's guitar)..

But Phil is used to say one thing, forget after a while and say a totally different thing some years later. If he retires (what I consider a blessing Wink), it's because he's tired of touring and has enough bucks to live, so he doesn't need to give lame excuses..

He can retire whenever he wants and nobody has a word to say about that.

Iván

Amen!
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 12:29
Oh my God, the PA prog god of prog gods proclaims the possibility that he might not be out there "working" any more. Thank God we had (have) the Who, Rolling Stones, Tull, Jon Anderson, the Eagles, and many other beloved musicians remind themselves that they had the option of changing their OWN minds on the subject.
Thankfully, this has yet to descend into the typical gutter ballet dismissal of Phil. But then, it's only just begun, eh ....
And ( to the great dismay & bewilderment of many here), there are actually people out there who would still like to have a chance to see the man in concert, whether with Genesis or solo.

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 12:46
See. The VR pressure group worked.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 16:53
I'm sure the silent majority of people who neither adored nor despised the man are sad to hear this news: age and health catches up with us all in the end.

It would be a shame if our reaction to this news is sarcastic rather than respectful. Sarcasm is so easy to do, and it takes guts to say 'I may not have liked everything he did, but I respect him.'
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 18:34
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

I'm sure the silent majority of people who neither adored nor despised the man are sad to hear this news: age and health catches up with us all in the end.

It would be a shame if our reaction to this news is sarcastic rather than respectful. Sarcasm is so easy to do, and it takes guts to say 'I may not have liked everything he did, but I respect him.'

Oh Oh ... common sense popping up. Must be stamped out before the rest of the unwashed get a chance to see the logic of it Wink
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 21:57
Yeah, sorry about that. Don't know what came over me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>