Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednot liking rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: which describes you more completely?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [77.42%]
7 [22.58%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 13:21
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

ye gods
I can't understand why you get annoyed at people disliking things ;P I never said anything about the quality of the music, that I didn't have other options, or that anything in my original post was anything other than my opinion alone, yet I get the trademark pedantic DBG treatment

everyone else: good posts ;P

Yeah, I know. I gotta watch my mood swings.Confused. Unfortunately, modern pharmacology is not yet perfect when it comes to managing Bi-Polar II. That  And hope that the Penguins start playing better.
My apologies on going overboard. It is a touchy subject with me when I perceive (and it is sometimes just  my perception, not the writer's intention) that a music genre is being put down as if it were some how objectively inferior. Or worse, that the dismissal is based on the genre's stereotypes.
P.S. I have to look up the word Pedantic. Then hopefully amend my ways Smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 13:33
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ most of that is fair except I would take issue with the 'pedestrian lyrics' of rock..  I've found as I mature that in fact the best rock'nroll has some of the more adult, truly sophisticated lyrics in music - Beatles, Paul Simon, CS&N, Bowie - these are the true wordsmiths in popular music, whereas Prog and Avant Garde tends to be more spaced-out and distracted   ..just an observation

Hear, hearClap! Not all rock lyrics are about sex, booze and drugs, and even classic hard rock and heavy metal bands often have lyrics that are anything but pedestrian - check Metallica's Master of Puppets, for instance, or most of Blue Oyster Cult's albums.

Anyway, I'm afraid Lappy's intent with this thread has been grossly misunderstood. He didn't want to embark on a rock-bashing crusade, but rather offer an interesting topic of discussion. Hopefully my own response (written by a true-blue rocker as I am) didn't sound confrontational.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 13:46
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

^ most of that is fair except I would take issue with the 'pedestrian lyrics' of rock..  I've found as I mature that in fact the best rock'nroll has some of the more adult, truly sophisticated lyrics in music - Beatles, Paul Simon, CS&N, Bowie - these are the true wordsmiths in popular music, whereas Prog and Avant Garde tends to be more spaced-out and distracted   ..just an observation

Hear, hearClap! Not all rock lyrics are about sex, booze and drugs, and even classic hard rock and heavy metal bands often have lyrics that are anything but pedestrian - check Metallica's Master of Puppets, for instance, or most of Blue Oyster Cult's albums.

Anyway, I'm afraid Lappy's intent with this thread has been grossly misunderstood. He didn't want to embark on a rock-bashing crusade, but rather offer an interesting topic of discussion. Hopefully my own response (written by a true-blue rocker as I am) didn't sound confrontational.

\True, I've gone back and see clearly that he meant it as opinion and not objective fact. I should have noticed the exclusive use of "I" & "me".
Oh, and now I know what pedantic means. Now I'm checking out the word "ostentatious". So far, it seems I like books, precision, and subtle reasoning. Big%20smile
I would have thought it had something to do with pedals or pendants.
Ah bein, ca me laisse quand meme le perdant dans cette discussion.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 14:02

It's weird...If someone had started a thread called "not liking rap" or "not liking punk", the "close minded" arguments would have been there from the beginning... But it's so safe to say "i don't like rock"...

A negative thread. Weren't we supposed not to promote them?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 14:06

To my eye, the only reason that laplace's post hasn't been deemed the post of a troll is because he is a well-known poster with what are in my opinion strange musical tastes.  Only a troll would go in to a Prog Rock forum and say I don't like rock and roll.  Taken without the context of his other similar posts, I would think that this thread is very negative and very insulting to most of the members of this forum.  Taken within the context of his other similar posts, I kind of have to wonder why he spends so much time in a Prog Rock forum where the topics of discussion generally conflict with his personal tastes. 

The above being said his recent posts do seem to indicate that his mission is more to try and understand what the rest of us enjoy in something that he doesn't enjoy, so as that he might somehow understand it better.  This is based on his stating that he is trying to at least listen to all of the newer releases before he bashes them, rather than just bashing them for the sake of bashing them.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 14:13

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I tend not to like rock and roll, typical blues based classic rock, AOR, arena rock, and guitar rock.  I tend not to like very predictable music with classic rock lineups, slick melodic rock, or "hard rock".  I like quirky music.  I grew up as someone into classical music first, and then delved into jazz.  The "rock" I tend to like best is what is sometimes described as avant-garde chamber rock, and it doesn't have to rock (really "chamber and experimental music" generally describes my tastes better).  And I like much folk-rock and jazz-rock (and of course, prog rock).

There are exceptions,  and my tastes are quite eclectic.  I used to listen to classic rock radio a fair amount, when I hadn't a CD or working tape player in my car, but most of it gets on my nerves.  There's not enough quirkiness, contrast, twists and turns, genre bending, and varied instrumentation (especially involving acoustic instruments such as the cello, shakuhachi, santoor, whatever) in the music (though I like electronic music muchly too).  The steady beat, pedestrian lyrics, and non-explorative nature of the music tends not to appeal.  I don't like most modern rock, either.

I don't consider myself a fan of rock music, but it depends on how the bands utilise/ approach rock in the music, but my natural inclination is very far from rock, electric instrumentation and heavy drumming, even though I listen to so much rock-based music (piano beats Hammond, cello beats guitar, xylophone beats drums generally for me).

I wasn't clear, and here's a post to further muddy the waters.

There are a great many exceptions.  I meant it as pedestrian lyrics in much classic rock and roll (of the type that doesn't appeal to me), not all, of course.  I tend not to think in absolutes even if I don't specifically mention that it's not an absolute. 

Commonly I find R&R lyrics dull (lacking in eccentricity, humour or insight), and there are a great many exceptions, which is fine as long as I don't notice the lyrics.  I meant to reference particular kinds of rock music that doesn't appeal to me, not all classic rock (and even then there are exceptions).  The majority of it doesn't appeal, though lyrics tend to be of secondary importance to me.  I don't tend to listen to Prog and Avant Garde music for the lyrics, most of what I listen to isn't even in languages I'm adept in, or is largely instrumental (though in artists/ bands such as Wyatt and Art Bears, the lyrics add another dimension).

I like CS&N, as well as CSN&Y, Bowie, Paul Simon and much of The Beatles considerably. Though popular, those are not "typical" rock and roll artists for me.  I'm a  fan of Simon and Garfunkel, incidentally (though i think of that as folk-rock, which is a type of music that I enjoy considerably).  I think of Bowie more as an art rock/ pop artist (I tend to like art rock), though obviously he did rock and roll, and he did it well for my tastes.  I don't like much of the lyrics from early Beatles ("she love you, yeah, yeah, yeah...").  For me, though classic rock station fare, they are rather progressive artists.  I also like Supertramp's lyrics considerably, and many pop artists. 

The lyrics needn't be sophisticated for me to enjoy them, as I'm not a very sophisticated individual.  I'd rather listen to "I am the egg man, koo koo ka choo" than, say, cliche lyrics such as, "Going out in a blaze of glory."  I like zany lyrics as well as thoughtful, insightful ones. I just had to reference Bon Jovi merely cause there's no music I can think of right now that I dislike more.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 14:14
Hey wait, why is the tide turning now that I've admitted my going too far, and apologised ?
Oh, and the word ostentatious has nothing to do with being from Austin Texas. It means excessive something or other and pretentioning, which I thought was spelt pretending.  If there is time, I may indulge in some vain attempts at showing how glorious my writerings can be when I laplicate myself Wink
Oh, to one and all - just remember (not the Alamo) that you can't kill rock n roll. Which isn't that big a deal, 'cause we couldn't kill disco, either, eh.

P.S. Laplace, you may want to read the quote at the bottom of my posts. It should give you an inkling of the fact that I am somewhat aware of my occasional failing(s). That's probably due to all the knowledge I've picked up over the years from books like Larousse dictionary's bio section, the Ritch hick's guide to the Galaxy, Gibbsons The decline and calls of the Rummy Umpire, a history of Napoleon's battles ,( Nota Bono Parte I & II), Maus, Robert Fulghum's excellent philosophical treatises, the rise of the Left waffle, and also the Rather Humongeous Book of Uppity Words (abridged version),  the Tao of Pooh, and the Te of Piglet (highly recommended), the Art of War (and its' uses in hockey, a special edition limited to the Canadian market), Bon Scott and his coming Beatification, "Why I'm Right" by Meo Dso  Rong, and of course my favourite "Franny & Zooey", although I wish I could remember what the ultimate moral or point of the book is. It has been 28 & a half years since that English Lit class back at U de M. I think somehow, it's because I identify with Zooey. And at times with Franny. Other times I identify with myself or my driver's ID.

P.S.S. the next 4 pages were not written as my fingers cramped while my mind wound up in high gear.

P.S.S.S. Your Mother !

Nota Bene - this and all other writings, including any semblance of "a" style are not registered trademarks, nor registered under any copyright (or wrong) laws anywhere where common sense abounds (i.e. Canada)

Edited by debrewguy - May 27 2008 at 14:29
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 14:28

I guess none here is trying to kill anything (I wouldn't mind one or two genres dissapearing though..) What amazes me is such a negative thread about rock in a prog-ROCK website... but some posters run to the defense of rap or punk and deem everybody close-minded if one dares to say anything negative about those genres....

Again, we can't say anything about personal tastes... I'm just complaining about the double-standard here... that's all.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 14:53
Rushfan - Laplace spends so much time on this Progressive Rock forum because his "strange musical tastes" are represented in the archives as Progressive Rock, plain and simple. Now obviously you can wonder if his "strange musical tastes" are really rock or not, but they are listed here anyway.

And the bands he criticised (AC/DC, Led Zep, The Eagles, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Rush - ah, now I get it Wink etc.) are, except for Rush, NOT Progressive Rock, the ones that are in the archives are in the (unnecessary) Prog Related category.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 15:19

I do wonder if his "strange musical tastes" are really rock or not and why some of this is listed on a Progressive Rock site.  That said, I don't begrudge it.  I am quite open to accepting what others find worthy of inclusion on this site.  Nothing in the ProgArchives' guidelines says that I have to like everything that is included here, and obviously this applies to Laplace and everyone else who frequents this site. 

Generally speaking, I find many of Laplace's posts to be intelligent and well-written.  And most of the time, I find him to be a plus to our little community here, but at times I also find some of his posts annoying, kind of like he finds those bands that he listed.  

By the way, if my impression of Laplace is correct, I think that he would find the "strange musical tastes" to be a proper description, as well as a compliment. 

Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 15:27
AC/DC, Rush, Alice Cooper....they've all been some of my favorite bands for the longest time. I generally like classic rock, not all of it...but a good majority of it.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 15:30
"Strange musical tastes" isn't really  a proper description, because mine are altogether stranger Wink

*Visitor13 wonders what Laplace thinks of the Queens of the Stone Age 
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:13
QOTSA = not for me. Same with Kyuss et al; do not want. o:) but I do like the Melvins when they're messing about.

(I don't mind people thinking my tastes are strange, but outside of prog I do tend to listen to the "obvious" bands from each genre - those genres just aren't much to do with rock'n'roll.)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:32
As to the guitar, might I quote Neil Peart:

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
Its got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently like rain

I cant wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see its light
Let them all make their own music
The priests praise my name on this night

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 16:39
I came here for the progressive rock (nostalgia to a  large extent), but stayed for the progressive music.

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

It's weird...If someone had started a thread called "not liking rap" or "not liking punk", the "close minded" arguments would have been there from the beginning... But it's so safe to say "i don't like rock"...

A negative thread. Weren't we supposed not to promote them?

I seem to remember that you were one to promote free speech of the old I may not agree with you, but I'll defend you're right to say it. Not negating your thoughts here, nor is this really a response to your post, just following my own train of thought from your post.

Censuring such "negative" threads is a kind of censorship that I could not easily tolerate.  For me, this  is a constructive and interesting thread, though.  We have been encouraged not to promote negative threads.  Not sure if that's a rule or a request.  While me must follow forum rules; we're not little kids.  It is our responsibility, since we're guests here and minor representatives of the site, to try to do what we're told, or requested to do.  And if one is too much of a free spirit; go, but that's by-the-by.

I don't have much sympathy for those who come down on people for not liking certain kinds of music, be it rap, country, metal or chamber music.  I do applaud those knowledgeable people who respond positively by taking that person's tastes into account and suggesting music from those genres that may appeal.  I probably have more eclectic tastes than most, but I've found music that appeals in most genres I've known and explored.  What commonly happens, I find, is that people "diss" a  style of music without having explored it much, and without anything intelligent to say about what they don't like about it (often with too general assumptions that show a lack of knowledge).  Can one say all rap is bad if one hasn't delved into the great variety of rap that is out there?  I enjoy lots of punk music, but wouldn't expect many others to appreciate it.

I don't have such a problem with such negative threads as I do negative responses about people who make or write in negative threads, or criticising people for posting about their tastes and opinions of music, literature etc.

I think it's important to remember to be tolerant of other's tastes.  There's nothing wrong with saying one doesn't like certain music, in my opinion (in fact I like to know what people like as much as dislike -- it interests me), where it crosses the line is when it becomes a personal attack on other's tastes.  It also crosses the line when someone attacks someone for expressing an opinion on music.

I've always been surprised when people take offence because someone doesn't like the same music they do and dares to express it.

For instance, I can say in terms of my taste that the music of Spock's Beard is horrible, but it would be wrong to say that people are idiots for liking music that is horrible for me.

I just hope that negativity can be balanced with positivism.  I'd rather people say what they like and don't like than just what they like or just what they don't like. Off on a tangent, but if I start a thread on a band that I like, I appreciate it when someone takes the time to sample the music and give their impressions good or bad (hopefully beyond merely saying "It sucks" -- cause that's boring.  I don't find it offensive, but it's not constructive.  That has to do with me also appreciating those who try to explore music that is outside of their normal tastes (good way to expand one's tastes).  But I'm also just plain interested in how people think and express themselves.  I like threads such as this one, as long as people try to express their personalities and are thoughtful in how they express themselves/ respond.  We can show respect for each-other's tastes and points of view without being in agreement.

As I've often said, one of the worst kinds of worst negativity, for me, is negativity directed towards an individual because of perceived negativity on what are really matters of taste.  I don't find it offensive when someone is dismissive of music I like, but when one is easily dismissive of, or insulting/ sarcastic to, a person for not liking certain music, for liking certain music, or expressing an opinion, that can be problematic for me.  Vive la difference.  It's only rock and roll music, but I like it like some of it.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 21:05
To each his/her own. Ermm

I like rock, I like the blues, I like lots of stuff. I like variety -- my moods vary.

With no disrespect intended, I don't really care what others like or don't like -- least of all total strangers who I cannot even see, or whose real names, and ages, etc, are largely unknown to me -- because their tastes and opinions on art don't affect me one bit.

Now, I care about how strangers vote, or treat our planet, because that can affect me in a very real way, obviously, but some guy out there, who I'll likely never even be in the same town as (let alone the same room with) doesn't like the same album I do? Why should I take offense, or even care?Confused Any rational, aware earthling knows that people & tastes vary widely -- that's a simple, unavoidable fact of life.Stern%20Smile

Some like to argue and debate about such things. More power to 'em -- I sincerely wish them every joy of it. Smile

But I have little desire to either defend my own particular tastes (except, perhaps, to those who are close to me),  try to "convert" others, or adopt your tastes. To me, it's much like those computer-generated lists of songs and "artists recently played" that so many here display as "signatures" -- I have ZERO interest in such things. They say NOTHING to me. They're not even as interesting as advertising, because they totally lack commentary, or even "colour" and emotion. It's the textual equivalent of he buzzing of flourescent lights -- mere background; white noise.

But carry on, by all means. I'm going to go watch a movie with my wife. After, we'll likely talk about it a bit. We love each other, and know each other very well, and have (broadly) similar tastes -- though she'll never "make' me like her Madonna or Abba, nor will I ever "make" her like VDGG. (Nor will we try to make the other like that stuff -- we both know it's pointless, and ultimately, totally unimportant.) 

Our bedtime books will be very different too -- if one of us waxes enthusiastic about "our" book, the other will listen politely (or pretend toWink), but we're still very unlikely to actually read the other's preferred book.

Bottom line: tastes in art vary. No big deal -- there's plenty out there for each of us. We don't have to agree.
I honestly don't care what bands you like, or don't -- nor do I care what you had for supper tonight.

I'd rather share some laughs here, or maybe, just maybe compare notes & impressions on (known) music with those of a like mind. These days, I tend not to read -- let alone post in -- threads about bands or genres I don't care for, or don't know. I see no point in it. Born in 1960, I'm not looking for new music here -- I easily find enough on my own, and my "old" bands keep me busy as well. (I haven't read -- or written --a review here in quite some time.) Maybe after 4+ years, thousands of posts, and over 100, mostly lengthy reviews, I've just said 99.9% of what I care to say about music and so-called "progressive" rock here, among faceless, mostly nameless strangers, who mostly don't respond at all, and who, more likely than not, disagree with me anyway. Ho hum.

Can we talk about motorcycles, books, or mutual friends and acquaintances now? Wink

And no, I don't want to argue about religion or politics with you either, stranger! LOLWacko

Edited by Peter - May 27 2008 at 21:11
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 21:10
what's sad is that, on a discussion forum, people are about to come in and quote you and give you any amount of clappies for stating the ultimate in neutral and undiscussable positions, like the solipsism of taste. o:)

I didn't just make the thread to say "look I listen to industrial lolz" but because I knew there were others out there who feel the same way. in particular I always appreciate Logan, Rocktopus and Yukorin's posts and I knew they'd appear. and honestly, artists and bands can be our mutual friends ;P
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 21:34
^ Hopefully Lappy, you can "appreciate" a simply honest post like mine too.

Hey, I read your entire thread. It caught my interest. (Not much seems to around here, these days.) No one's posts or opinions on this have offended me in the least! Thumbs%20Up

I guess I'm just burned out with discussing/debating/arguing something as subjective as music with strangers. Sigh. We can't even make eye contact, or buy each other a beer. It just doesn't 'float my boat,' or fulfill my basic need for real human contact and friendship anymore.

If i've learned anything in my 4+ years here, it's that  an internet forum of strangers is not "the real thing," that text is a poor substitute for voice, and that what we deem "prog" does not even unify us. (Because it is NOT a unified, single thing -- in a very fundamental sense, it does not even exist, beyond the individual's mind -- it's mostly a subjective judgement.)

I guess I'm in a sort of philosophical, blase mood. Sorry. Ermm

Now I'm going upstairs to be with my warm, very real family whom I love -- and the music and book collection that I like. That's what really matters to me. Heart

I hope you can see my point -- if indeed I have one....Embarrassed

But I wish you well, and hope you have a nice evening, fellow lonely humans, so widely spread out there, & seeking some sort of "community" via  a machine-- I mean that! Smile

Edited by Peter - May 27 2008 at 21:43
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 21:54
don't take it too hard laplacido, part of the price for Forum Stimulation? Smile   ..please continue wearing your different tastes proudly,  I would

mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 22:08
I think it would better to mention the stereotype of classic rock is what you dont like, because most of the bands you mentioned always branched out (eventually) maybe its the hits you dont like.I mean late Zeppelin is now way near the other bands mentioned.But if so respect for a being a prog fan and not a classic rocker i found prog at the start went hand in hand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>