Topic ClosedMatthew Parmenter releases new solo album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matthew Parmenter releases new solo album
    Posted: May 28 2008 at 14:52
I received this email from StrungOutRecords and Matthew Parmenter, which might be considered great news for fans of Discipline and Matthew Parmenter:

Dear Friends,

My new solo CD "Horror Express" was officially released on May 13. There are 10 tracks on the CD which runs just over 60 minutes in length. It took a good long time for me to complete the recording, but I am very pleased with the overall production and mood. I used a beautiful 1880 Steinway piano throughout, and this really enhanced the quality of the sounds. Other instruments include the usual lot, plus a nice bit of theremin, and new to me, a cello. Ryan Parmenter (of Eyestrings) created the cover art, which is really superb.

As the album title and cover art might suggest, there are some playful references to scary movies all over the place on the CD. I hope you will find this motif a way in to the emotional centers of the songs, rather than the whole point, full stop. You can learn more at the web site:

http://www.strungoutrecords.com/

Just around the corner in June comes NEARfest 2008 in Pennsylvania. If you have not heard already, Discipline. has joined forces to perform there after some years not playing out. This performance will feature the band members most of you will remember best: Jon Preston Bouda, Mathew Kennedy, Paul Dzendzel, and that mime. Performers at the 10th annual NEARfest include:

* Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (Italy)
    * Liquid Tension Experiment (United States)
    * Fish (Scotland)
    * Peter Hammill (England)
    * echolyn (United States)
    * Synergy (United States)
    * Discipline. (United States)
    * Radio Massacre International (England)
    * Mörglbl (France)
    * Koenji Hyakkei (Japan)

I am told the tickets for the festival sold out in half an hour. To learn more, or to try and bribe one of the festival organizers for a scalped entry, visit the NEARfest web site:

http://www.nearfest.com/

We have been archiving lots of the old Discipline. recordings dating back to the 1980s. Many of these recordings pre-date David Krofchok on keys for the band (circa 1992), but do feature David Krofchok's recordings of the band before we learned that he could play the keys (circa 1988).  We plan to release some of these recordings with the Cyclops label out of England along with the now out-of-print live CD "Into the Dream" (1999). I cannot promise a release date as we have lots left to do in gathering up the old pieces. There were many shows recorded and there are many recordings to sift through. But this might be something worth looking for later in the year. (No promises yet.)

Please visit our web site to find out more about live shows, releases, and where to find them.
http://www.strungoutrecords.com/

Sincerely,
Matthew Parmenter
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 17:44
good Lord, FINALLY! This is amazing!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 17:47
I just placed my mail order.  Although with Royal Oak being less than 15 minutes away I'm sad that I will have to wait for the snail mail to do its thing.
zara2stra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 03:53
Two minute sneak peaks for all songs are available on CDBaby (here). I have never spent as much time listening to fragments of songs, as I did with these... If no shop will import it to Poland, then this will be the first CD I will order from the States :)

As far as I can tell from those snippets, the music is much more dark and brooding than Astray - I just can't wait to listen to the whole album :)  
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 04:32
Originally posted by zara2stra zara2stra wrote:

As far as I can tell from those snippets, the music is much more dark and brooding than Astray - I just can't wait to listen to the whole album :)  

oh boy, EVEN MORE DARK?

I WANT IT SOOO BAD RIGHT NOOOOOW!!!!!!!

Edited by Prog-jester - May 29 2008 at 04:32
zara2stra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2008 at 15:09
Since there are no other places known to me where you can listen to new songs from Horror Express, and others might also like to hear what's the new album like - I have found a site dedicated to a polish radio program in which they had played three songs from HE. Fortunately, there is an archive of those auditions, so those are possible to stream for a limited time (from what I've seen the archive is kept for 5 programs).

So you can listen to "In The Dark" in the program from 21.05.08, and to "Kaiju" and "Polly New" in the program from 14.05.08. On both programs Parmenter songs start short after the first hour.

To get to the streams, simply enter http://www.mlwz.pl/, and select Audio from the pane on the left. There are also lists with what was played ("Archiwum audycji", and select the desired date).
 Post Reply Post Reply