Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStar Wars Saga.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which one is your favourite episode?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [17.14%]
17 [48.57%]
4 [11.43%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star Wars Saga.
    Posted: June 05 2008 at 17:55

This is by no means my favourite sci-fi movie, and maybe my fave movie(saga).

I remember having 8 years old more or less, and I had Star Wars I The Phantom Menace. You won't believe me! I played it everyday I returned from school, it's my most watched movie ever! Well then came II, it was amazing, though it has it's boring romantic parts. And then, well, came N°3, I saw it with my bro, the day of realese, well at least in my country, hehe. It was AMAZING! Kinda of sad, though. Of course when I watched N°2 I had already seen IV, V and VI which are really really good too.

So, some love for my favourite movie!

EDIT: You can also discuss stuff from the movie and well, etc, etc. Spread your knowledge or love or whatever you want to this fabolous movie. Please, NO hate.

Edited by cacho - June 05 2008 at 17:56
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 18:08
The original number 4 is probably my favorite of them all.  I used to watch that one on a daily basis when it first came out on cable TV on HBO and they played it on a daily basis.  When they were all released on DVD, of course I had to go out and purchase them all.  In retrospect, the original is kind of cheesy with the graphic effects and some of the acting, but it still wins out for nostalgic reasons.  I generally like all of the movies but I think that numbers II and V are probably my least favorite.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 18:15
I just re-watched Episode lll and it is really terrific, after that it would probably be ll, lV, l, V, and Return of the Jedi just bites, it's even worse now with the extra footage

..I really liked the whole prequel series and was surprised at the hate it got

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 20:37
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The original number 4 is probably my favorite of them all. I used to watch that one on a daily basis when it first came out on cable TV on HBO and they played it on a daily basis. When they were all released on DVD, of course I had to go out and purchase them all. In retrospect, the original is kind of cheesy with the graphic effects and some of the acting, but it still wins out for nostalgic reasons. I generally like all of the movies but I think that numbers II and V are probably my least favorite.

The II and V are my least fave too! They are very dense. With few good action parts.

As I said before, III is amazing!! Really unexpected.
I gets me bored nowadays, but I must admit it's an excellent start. Though a pitty that the III really seals everything, and watching the I or II or IV, etc, don't make much sense, since you know who is who, why this, etc, etc. Although of course, I still love it.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 02:17
The best is obviously Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back.

Incredible story, great fight scenes.  It is THE Star Wars movie by which all others should be judged. 

The new trilogy blew chunks of ass across the world. Terrible acting, terribly executed story, only had one great fight scene (Darth Maul!).  Mostly though it was the acting.  My god who the hell casted those films?  They go from getting the worst child actor to getting the worst young-adult actor and it was for the same friggin' character. 

The two best of the entire series is first and foremost Empire Strikes Back, followed by A New Hope, then the disappointing Return Of the Jedi.  The rest are complete sh*t and shall not be ranked.  I'm surprised III has 3 votes already. 

I grew up seeing the trilogy (the original, only good one) and loved them to death.  Then in the late 90s when they re-released them into theaters I watched them all again.  And then again when they were released on VHS.  To this day I will even sit and watch them on TV if they're on because the story is so friggin awesome and everything was executed so well.  I'm not even one of those weirdo star wars nerds!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 02:25
Empire is good but frankly it drags a bit by the middle and doesn't hold up as well as its popularity merits.. the new trilogy has problems but if the entire saga is judged as a whole, the new ones are as good as the old ones (i.e. Phantom Menace is a much better movie than Return of the Jedi).. besides Episodes 4,5 and 6 were butchered with new scenes and altered footage that kinda ruined their integrity

Edited by Atavachron - June 06 2008 at 02:28
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 13:44
I StarStar1/2   (jar jar brings the rating down)
II StarStarStar (the romance sucks, and almost no plot)
III StarStarStarStar1/2 (yeah! the story is back, plus DARTH VADER shows his face)
IV StarStarStarStarStar 
V StarStarStarStar ( a little slow)
VI StarStarStarStar1/2
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 14:52
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Terrible acting, terribly executed story, only had one great fight scene (Darth Maul!).  Mostly though it was the acting.  My god who the hell casted those films?  They go from getting the worst child actor to getting the worst young-adult actor and it was for the same friggin' character.

presumably George casts his films.. and Liam Neeson, Ian McDiarmid, Ewan McGregor and Sam Jackson are at the top of their field, some of the finest actors in the world

Citizen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 15:09
V > VI > V > II > III > I

V has Hoth, Luke well on his way to becoming a Jedi master but before getting all space emo, Boba Fett, the Vader/Luke father/son thing, the best cliffhanger, Lando, and a wealth of other things, all while being the overall least cheesy Star Wars, in my opinion. No Ewoks, Jar-Jar, podrace commentators, little kids, cheesy CGI Yodi fights, etc.

I'm not sure why people enjoy III so much. The acting is attrocious, the music isn't as good as the original trilogy, and the entire movie is basically just a setup for the original trilogy, which we had all already seen anyway. Not to mention the almost comedic way they handled Vader at the end of the movie. It's just not a particularly interesting movie, in any sense.

Edited by Citizen - June 06 2008 at 15:14
This is my signature.
Amazing, isn't it?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 15:13
except for the first half hour or so, Empire stinks...  sorry

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 16:39
I and a half out of 5. (the first one I saw, it's a bit dense now, pittily)
II and a half out of 5 (I did like it the first time, but really, the romance parts are really boring)
III (AMAZING)
IV (it's good, but not excellent, no stunning parts)
V and a half (has bery boring parts as II)
VI (another EXCELLENT episode together with the III)
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 17:11
1, 2, and 3 were poor to appalling. 4, 5, and 6 are classic.

Probably going to say 4. Liked that one most.

3 I actually couldn't watch. I was that unimpressed with the acting and tacky special effects. 1 had Jar Jar. 2 was better, but still meh.

Edited by TGM: Orb - June 06 2008 at 17:13
Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 21:43
Empire Strikes back is the most solid movie of the bunch and in my opinion is the most pivotal in the story line. III is pivotal as well but the acting is so bad that it detracts from the story.
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 22:27
BTW; the Clone Wars animated shorts are simply awesome, I'd highly recommend the two discs if you're a fan of the extended story

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 22:45
I have that on DVD and it's most excellent.

David,do you know they are releasing a CGI animated Clone Wars movie in August?

Trailer:

Edited by TheProgtologist - June 06 2008 at 22:48

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 22:54
I have answered previous topics like this in great detail,so for this one I will keep it short and sweet.

Original Trilogy:

Tie between IV and V.I saw all the OT movies when they first came out and no movie has ever captivated me as much as sitting wide-eyed in a theater seeing Star Wars for the first time at age 11.V because it's the darkest of the OT movies,and starts to really delve into the Jedi.

Prequels:

Definitely III.I waited a LONG time to see how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 23:02
^ his conversation with Palpatine in the auditorium is gripping, the Darth Plagueis legend, the whole process of Anakin's change was very well done.. and then only to find out Sidious doesn't have the power of life at all
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 01:59
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Terrible acting, terribly executed story, only had one great fight scene (Darth Maul!).  Mostly though it was the acting.  My god who the hell casted those films?  They go from getting the worst child actor to getting the worst young-adult actor and it was for the same friggin' character.

presumably George casts his films.. and Liam Neeson, Ian McDiarmid, Ewan McGregor and Sam Jackson are at the top of their field, some of the finest actors in the world

George casting wouldn't surprise me.  There were many rumors during the making off the new ones that because his daughter was a fan of NSYNC that he was going to cast them.  Luckily, he wasn't that stupid or enough fans complained.  I mean thats how we got Jar Jar down to a bit part. 

Liam Neeson died in the first film.  And aside from Ewan who was OK, the other two weren't that big of characters as compared to the likes of the main and extremely annoying as hell kid and later Haydn Christianson who really should not be cast in any films due to his lack of skills. 

I'm really shocked at how many people actually liked the first three films, especially the third one.  Also the number of people that didn't like the original 2! I mean IV was an amazing adventure and V was incredibly dramatic, tense, dark and has some of the best action scenes in film history. From the the battle on Hoth to the disturbing fight between a son and the second most evil man in the universe who happens to be his father. 

Luke's training on Degoba was one of the best parts because he was so on the edge.  A man torn between wanting the best to help his friends defeat the enemy and for himself to become a good jedi, and at the same time moving towards a darkness (even after leaving Degoba) because he is overly eager to defeat the enemy.  Skywalker also begins to lose confidence in himself which takes a toll on his psyche. 

The relationships between all the characters also became stronger since they had gotten to know each other better but in that same time were being torn apart by their egos and little flaws. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 02:33

And aside from Ewan who was OK, the other two weren't that big of characters

who would you have cast as Ben?  And I thought McDiarmid did an amazing job in the dual role portraying one of the most evil characters in film, and Jackson was perfect as Master Windu

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2008 at 02:39
I'm with David in thinking that Episode VI (The Return of the Jedi) was by far the weakest installment of the original trilogy. It was a bit anticlimactic to say the least, especially after the dark, tense atmosphere of its predecessor (which is my favourite by far). The first half of Jedi was not bad, though... I quite liked the scenes with Jabba the Hutt, but it went downhill soon after that. As for the prequels, I am also in agreement with those who think Episode III is almost on a par with the original trilogy - while I found Episode II extremely disappointing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>