Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes Progressive Metal progressive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 02:54
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

And your little-advertised website's Wink inclusion of Metallica's MOP as prog metal just requires a Clap

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ In fact opinion is divided on the subject ... you're welcome to help cement the prog status.Big%20smile

Why only Master of Puppets? From Ride the Lightning  to . . .And Justice for All they sure made some kind of "progressive thrash metal" and DO deserve a place among the progressive metal bands. BRING METALLICA TO PA NOW!!!!!! (fist in the air) LOL (or at least a place at the prog related because of their importance to the genre)

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Why only Master of Puppets? Well, submit your opinion at RF (in the form of ratings and tags) and you'll help setting things straight.Smile
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 03:52
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

A Prog Icon gave us the perfect definition of Prog:

What is progressive rock ?

"It is music that does progress. It takes an idea and developes it, rather than just repeat it. Pop songs are about repetition and riffs and simplicity. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential."

Keith Emerson

Apply this to Prog Metal, and you will get an easy answer.

Iván

A very idealistic way of looking at it - the same ideal that I was exploring in my "What is Prog" blog. In principle, I completely agree with this - although recognise that even the best Prog does not achieve this 100% of the time.

It is, however, THE guiding principle, and is why I specifically mentioned Spastic Ink in this blog.

You can find it in Prog Metal - but it seems to be sadly lacking in the groups that stand out as "defining" the genre.

I put defining in quotes, because, back in the days of the NWoBHM, bands like Rush and Diamond Head were viewed as Progressive Metal in my circles - Diamond Head particularly got credit for "inventing" it in some of the magazines I read - but groups like Iron Maiden were not considered Progressive Metal as they were in some parts of the US, for example.

I must admit I found it hard to swallow, except in the absolutely literal sense of the word "Progressive" - ie, something different enough to sound new and exciting. Dream Theater simply added a keyboard and a sheen of technical mastery to a style of music that had been there for at least a decade - they did not re-invent the music in the same dramatic way that Rush or Diamond Head did. Or Iron Maiden or Metallica, come to that.

This is really repeating the fact that everyone has their own idea of bands that define it, but no-one seems to have a working definition of what it is. It often seems it can be anything you like as long as it includes your favourite heavy metal bands who play stuff that you find difficult to play.

In a way we're both wrong and right ... it all depends on how you define things. But in all these discussions it should be noted that for most intents and purposes Dream Theater remain the defining band for Progressive Metal.

Along with Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Rush - who is it to be?

I know that you don't consider their approach to be truly progressive ... but no matter whether you're right or not about that, you won't change the fact that for almost 20 years Dream Theater have been known as a Progressive Metal band. In other words: The label "Progressive Metal" is simply not being used how you think it should be used. If a prog fan was frozen in 1973 and he awoke today, he would probably follow your definition ... but that's simply not how things took place. 

People have different definitions, and a lot of people seem to be waking up to the fact that Dream Theater weren't really all that Progressive - it's not just the old school ranting.

I agree that the key Prog Rock bands had a really unique way of expanding the confinements of Rock music in mind blowing, spontaneous and creative ways ... very few Progressive Metal bands actually manage to repeat this, or even try in the first place. But that's a problem which is not limited to Metal ... the other Prog "offsprings" have similar problems (Flower Kings, anyone?). Like I said in the other thread: The more truly progressive a modern band is, the more they are moving away from what is - for most people - appropriately called "Prog". The question is: If something "sounds like prog", shouldn't it be called "prog" ... regardless of whether they are truly progressive or merely mimicking the style?

There is no "The style" to mimic - all Prog Bands have their own style.

I agree that this isn't something that's limited to metal - I have yet to hear any genuine Modern Prog, and it did take me a while to adjust to the progressive concepts and approaches in Neo Prog, which are often subtle (but rarely a re-hash).

If something merely looks or sounds like something, that doesn't necessarily make it the same thing - consider Fool's Gold.

And your little-advertised website's Wink inclusion of Metallica's MOP as prog metal just requires a Clap

^ In fact opinion is divided on the subject ... you're welcome to help cement the prog status.Big%20smile

Why only Master of Puppets? From Ride the Lightning  to . . .And Justice for All they sure made some kind of "progressive thrash metal" and DO deserve a place among the progressive metal bands. BRING METALLICA TO PA NOW!!!!!! (fist in the air) LOL (or at least a place at the prog related because of their importance to the genre)

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Why only Master of Puppets? Well, submit your opinion at RF (in the form of ratings and tags) and you'll help setting things straight.Smile
(Sadly, I cannot seem to get into RF - I keep asking for a new password, but never get the email). 

Even "Kill 'Em All" is progressive in both the literal sense, and, to some extent, to Emerson's description - consider the way the riffs develop in "Seek and Destroy", for example - towards the end, a change in the drumming from half to full tempo, and the whole piece goes up a gear. The riff is then turned inside out and upside down as its potential is (briefly) explored.

That technique is almost unprecedented in Metal.

You can actually apply the general principles of the Emerson quote above to Metallica's first 4 albums and find that they work - Emerson is stating a kind of ideal that few Prog bands actually achieved - an ideal that's pretty tough to apply to a band like Can, for example - and one that Metallica aspired to... before they "Did a Genesis (or a "Yes, or an "ELP")...

Edited by Certif1ed - June 17 2008 at 04:05
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 06:09
Elements Part II
You mention Ride The Lightning, and I agree with some of what you say about it. Solos? Randy Rhoads is a prime example of a metal soloist who was definitely in the virtuoso field of metal soloing technique at the time, definitely head and shoulders above in technical ability to the average NWOBHM guitarist of the time.
His solos were more meticulous than Kirk's for sure, and just in general a more skilled and fluent soloist than Kirk. You get that sense many of Kirks solos, even some of the ones one RTL, are somewhat improvisational in nature, wheras Rhoads' solos always seemed more composed and perhaps more "harmonically correct" for a lack of a better phrase, in the musical context. Take into account Kirk's admittedly terrible and almost complete lack of vibrato ability and control at the time and perhaps even worse now, there is no doubt to my mind Rhoads was one of the great pioneering metal soloists of his time, and Kirk was perhaps sometimes just going through the motions.
Megadeth? Archaic sounding compared to Metallica? Yes, I would say Peace Sells... as an album was definitely less complex in structure to Metallica's release in the same year, Master Of Puppets. The same went for the two band's 1988 releases, Megadeth's So Far So Good...So What? and Metallica's ... And Justice For All.
But archaic compared to Metallica? No way. Megadeth's work sounded just as modern, and to me some of SFSGSW has actually aged a lot better than some of AJFA.
Now for the next two studio albums the bands would release, Metallica's self titled and Megadeth's Rust In Peace. The self titled album, is just regressive and to be honest I can't listen to the album at all anymore, especially when you consider what a musically exciting path Metallica was heading on until Bob Rock came into the perspective.
Rust In Peace, on the other hand, while still not as structurally progressive as either MoP or AJFA, was easily more technically challenging than anything Metallica had and has so far ever done.
One of the reasons why, is the introduction of Marty Friedman into the band.
While one could nail the feel of Kirk Hammetts solos in a matter of months (I used to be able to play the Fade To Black solo perfectly, but I no longer practice that song), you would have to spend perhaps years to really nail all the subtleties in Marty's playing. His intense and incredibly well controlled vibrato technique, superb bending technique, exotic phrasing, mastery of the sweep picking technique, and the way he could dig the pick into the strings to give certain phrases more bite, were all really part of what makes Marty a true virtuoso compared to Kirk whom I would say was certainly skilled but not particularly challenging.
The guitarists that came into the band after Marty left couldn't nail Marty's style on RIP, proof of how of unique Marty's style was to him, yet I've heard many that could easily sound like Kirk.
The Tornado of souls solo is one of the benchmark solos people have used to compare Marty and post Marty guitarists with, and so far Chris Broderick has the more accurate emulation of that solo, but Broderick himself is incredily unique anyway and still will never sound like Marty.
Given the amount of people that cite RIP as the best thrash metal album of all time, including myself, there is not a doubt in my mind that album played a part in shaping technical metal to come and prog metal. While MoP was clearly more influential on bands like Dream Theater and late 80s/early 90s prog metal, I'm now starting to really hear the Rust In Peace influence in some of the more modern prog metal bands
Also, albums like Dragon's Kiss, Marty's first solo album, was at the time IMO, at least close to MoP in progressiveness. While I wouldn't call Dragon's Kiss prog in any strict sense, if you look at the extended composition Forbidden City, which has many twists and turns and is fairly complex, and the album closer, Thunder March with it's use of counterpoint with the electric guitar, it was obviously not a radio friendly poppy glam metal affair. And as it's happened, many prog metal guitarists cite that album as being influential on their musical development.

Metallica
Now for the Metallica debate that has sprung up in this page, I agree with a lot of what Cert had to say.
While Kill 'Em All is not prog in the way many of us have come to know it as, I'd be hard pressed to find many bands doing what Metallica had done for metal music in general in 1981 to their release of Kill 'Em All. This is where Dave Mustaine being a hugely influential musician gains even more strength IMO, as he was helping to pioneer the thrash genre before he had even started up Megadeth, which itself was massively influential on the thrash movement.
And of course RTL was a step up in compositional complexity and musicanship, and MoP even more so. AJA was a step up again, although the bass work not quite so, due to Newsted not even being heard, and he was known to not possess the skill Burton had.

DT
As for the Dream Theater argument, I think if were just to look at like Cert has, perhaps DT weren't that amazing.
But to have simply gotten the keyboard player, and Petrucci not just using Hammett as his lead guitar model, but instead looking to true virtuosos like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Steve Morse for inspiration (to name a few anyway) and to come up with these compositions that weren't NWOBHM, and weren't just jumping on the Thrash metal bandwagon (thrash was a genre that had become over saturated with too many bands that were no longer being innovative like the earlier bands), is to my mind something that took a lot of testicular fortitude to do.
It would be easy to just do the NWOBHM or thrash metal thing again, but what DT did wasn't easy, in terms of reaching commericial sucess with it, and not easy in the literal musical sense of raising the bar of musicianship and compositional complexity for metal.

Edited by HughesJB4 - June 17 2008 at 06:10
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 06:37
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

In a way we're both wrong and right ... it all depends on how you define things. But in all these discussions it should be noted that for most intents and purposes Dream Theater remain the defining band for Progressive Metal.

No - I meant that if you could name only *one* band which symbolises Prog Metal then it would definitely have to be Dream Theater. The only other band which I would consider are Fates Warning, but Dream Theater are the #1 Prog Metal band.

I know that you don't consider their approach to be truly progressive ... but no matter whether you're right or not about that, you won't change the fact that for almost 20 years Dream Theater have been known as a Progressive Metal band. In other words: The label "Progressive Metal" is simply not being used how you think it should be used. If a prog fan was frozen in 1973 and he awoke today, he would probably follow your definition ... but that's simply not how things took place. 

People have different definitions, and a lot of people seem to be waking up to the fact that Dream Theater weren't really all that Progressive - it's not just the old school ranting.

Doesn't matter how progressive you (or anyone else) thinks they are or were, they are tied to the label "Prog(ressive) Metal".

I agree that the key Prog Rock bands had a really unique way of expanding the confinements of Rock music in mind blowing, spontaneous and creative ways ... very few Progressive Metal bands actually manage to repeat this, or even try in the first place. But that's a problem which is not limited to Metal ... the other Prog "offsprings" have similar problems (Flower Kings, anyone?). Like I said in the other thread: The more truly progressive a modern band is, the more they are moving away from what is - for most people - appropriately called "Prog". The question is: If something "sounds like prog", shouldn't it be called "prog" ... regardless of whether they are truly progressive or merely mimicking the style?

There is no "The style" to mimic - all Prog Bands have their own style.

I agree that this isn't something that's limited to metal - I have yet to hear any genuine Modern Prog, and it did take me a while to adjust to the progressive concepts and approaches in Neo Prog, which are often subtle (but rarely a re-hash).

If something merely looks or sounds like something, that doesn't necessarily make it the same thing - consider Fool's Gold.

I think there's a big grey zone here ... things aren't either totally unique or totally derivative, but always something in between. Whether it's worth listening to always depends on the listener. If they haven't heard the original, then it might seem totally unique to them even if it's a total rip-off. And even if it's a rip-off and the listener knows the original, they might still enjoy it - for example, I enjoy listening to Opeth parts which are essentially Camel rip-offs (which Mikael Akerfeldt always freely admitted).

(Sadly, I cannot seem to get into RF - I keep asking for a new password, but never get the email). 

Even "Kill 'Em All" is progressive in both the literal sense, and, to some extent, to Emerson's description - consider the way the riffs develop in "Seek and Destroy", for example - towards the end, a change in the drumming from half to full tempo, and the whole piece goes up a gear. The riff is then turned inside out and upside down as its potential is (briefly) explored.

That technique is almost unprecedented in Metal.

You can actually apply the general principles of the Emerson quote above to Metallica's first 4 albums and find that they work - Emerson is stating a kind of ideal that few Prog bands actually achieved - an ideal that's pretty tough to apply to a band like Can, for example - and one that Metallica aspired to... before they "Did a Genesis (or a "Yes, or an "ELP")...

I'll send you the password via PM.Smile

I agree about Metallica's first albums ... I just think that Master of Puppets was the album where they reached the pinnacle of their progressiveness.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 08:59
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

(...) no doubt to my mind Rhoads was one of the great pioneering metal soloists of his time, and Kirk was perhaps sometimes just going through the motions. (...)

That's kinda the point - with Rhoads, the solos were immaculately structured in Classical style - yes he was pioneering and a better guitarist than Hammett - but let's ignore the solos, as those are just elements of the songs, and only existed over standard riff patterns - ie, the music wasn't progressive as a whole. 

It's quite clear that Rhoads could have produced something Prog, but he didn't.

He was astonishing live - there's no doubt he had improvisational skillz - but on record, he played lead guitar solos in their "proper" place in standard heavy metal songs. A few of the songs he played on had progressive tendencies (e.g. "Diary..."), and Rhoads was extremely influential - but do not confuse influential with Progressive or Prog Rock.

Chuck Berry was influential, so was Buddy Holly and John Mayall and...

Megadeth? (...) archaic compared to Metallica?
(...)
Rust In Peace, on the other hand, while still not as structurally progressive as either MoP or AJFA, was easily more technically challenging than anything Metallica had and has so far ever done.(...)
Don't confuse "technically challenging" with Prog.

Megadeth's structuring was still in the dark ages of metal song writing. Despite the numerous changes, etc., they hadn't really got the structured/improvised feel that early Metallica had. Structurally progressive IS the important thing here, ie, how the music is progressive, not how the elements are progressive.

One of the reasons why, is the introduction of Marty Friedman into the band.
While one could nail the feel of Kirk Hammetts solos in a matter of months (I used to be able to play the Fade To Black solo perfectly, but I no longer practice that song), you would have to spend perhaps years to really nail all the subtleties in Marty's playing.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make - although you make it unintentionally.

It often seems it (Prog Metal) can be anything you like as long as it includes (...) bands who play stuff that you find difficult to play.

Difficult to play is NOT the same as Prog. Not all Prog is difficult to play - it is not an essential requirement, just an incidental factor in some of the better Prog.

Paganini's music is difficult to play for any violinist - but for the orchestra, it's mostly humdrum. This is because, while Paganini was a virtuoso violinist, he was a mediochre composer, concerned mainly with showmanship - and the orchestral arrangements are designed to highlight his own soloing prowess.

This is emphatically not the case with the better Prog bands - ITCOCTK is a classic example of how the music itself takes centre stage.

His intense and incredibly well controlled vibrato technique, superb bending technique, exotic phrasing, mastery of the sweep picking technique, and the way he could dig the pick into the strings to give certain phrases more bite...

This is just technique, not Prog.

Uli Jon Roth was a master of metal soloing technique at least as far back as 1974, and Michael Schenker was no slouch either - his trademark licks can be found throughout the metal canon.

Elements are elementary - you can find Prog elements anywhere you look.

While MoP was clearly more influential on bands like Dream Theater and late 80s/early 90s prog metal, I'm now starting to really hear the Rust In Peace influence in some of the more modern prog metal bands

...and I can hear Beethoven's influence in some Prog bands - influential is not Prog.

Metallica

DT

I'm not looking at how technically skilled they were, I'm looking for principles of Progressive Rock in their music, and finding them in Metallica - and seeing the same level of principle - indeed, exactly the same principles in Dream Theater, with compositional structures that show no progression from Metallica's - just simple extension.

Listen to 1980s metal band Axe, particularly the album "Nemesis" (1983) - they had a keyboard too, and the music is strikingly similar to Dream Theater, while the technical skills are maybe a notch above Metallica's. Their previous offering "Offering", while anticipating mid-1980s hair-metal and being necessarily cheesier, is strikingly similar such that you realise that Axe had everything in place on this album that was to make "Nemesis" as cool as it is (for the time), and didn't just nick ideas from certain developing scenes.

The more metal you hear from that era, the better perspective you'll get. As I'm fond of saying, the NWoBHM era was intrinsically progressive, and some of the bands did actually use progressive principles rather than simple elements.

Edited by Certif1ed - June 17 2008 at 09:37
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 09:54

No - I meant that if you could name only *one* band which symbolises Prog Metal then it would definitely have to be Dream Theater. The only other band which I would consider are Fates Warning, but Dream Theater are the #1 Prog Metal band.

Yes, but those other bands are also Prog Metal, and they preceeded them historically, is what I meant.

You can't define a genre from a band that came to it, say, 15 years too late (if we assume that Rush were first with 2112).

I think there's a big grey zone here ... things aren't either totally unique or totally derivative, but always something in between. Whether it's worth listening to always depends on the listener. If they haven't heard the original, then it might seem totally unique to them even if it's a total rip-off.

...so anything could be something as long as someone says it is, is that what you're saying?

"Totally Unique" and "Non-Derivative" are, of course, impossible - I carefully and deliberately chose the phrase "distinctly different" to contrast with the equally impossible "completely different" and "utterly identical", and to avoid confusion with "somewhat different" or "blatant rip-off".

I'm going to look into Progressive Blues and Jazz to see if the same principles apply - I'll probably ignore Progressive House, Trance, etc, as my understanding is that the "Progressive" in that context literally means that the music progressively changes in a minimalist fashion, rather than there is anything inherently Progressive about it.

With the latter, musicians aren't trying to push the music further into terra incognita, rather they are trying to make terra cognita a little different.

It's the difference between putting new pictures on your bedroom wall, or redecorating the sitting room, and rebuilding the house.

The point I'm trying to make both here and my "What is Prog" blog is that there is a way to identify Prog in music - and Ivan's post nicely underlines it. If my understanding of Prog that has come about through systematic analysis is that close to Keith Emerson's, then I think I'm probably onto something.

Edited by Certif1ed - June 17 2008 at 09:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:23

Yes, but those other bands are also Prog Metal, and they preceeded them historically, is what I meant.

You can't define a genre from a band that came to it, say, 15 years too late (if we assume that Rush were first with 2112).

Rush are not prog metal ... not even close.

In my book it all started to take form around 1988/1989, with the Dream Theater debut and Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry. Of course you don't have to agree ... but IMO those albums are for Prog Metal what Genesis - Foxtrot and Yes - CttE are for Prog Rock!

I think there's a big grey zone here ... things aren't either totally unique or totally derivative, but always something in between. Whether it's worth listening to always depends on the listener. If they haven't heard the original, then it might seem totally unique to them even if it's a total rip-off.

...so anything could be something as long as someone says it is, is that what you're saying?

No, not really ... I don't get the connection to my statement you quoted.

"Totally Unique" and "Non-Derivative" are, of course, impossible - I carefully and deliberately chose the phrase "distinctly different" to contrast with the equally impossible "completely different" and "utterly identical", and to avoid confusion with "somewhat different" or "blatant rip-off".

I'm going to look into Progressive Blues and Jazz to see if the same principles apply - I'll probably ignore Progressive House, Trance, etc, as my understanding is that the "Progressive" in that context literally means that the music progressively changes in a minimalist fashion, rather than there is anything inherently Progressive about it.

With the latter, musicians aren't trying to push the music further into terra incognita, rather they are trying to make terra cognita a little different.

It's the difference between putting new pictures on your bedroom wall, or redecorating the sitting room, and rebuilding the house.

Imagine a very boring, dull house. Then someone comes along and rebuilds it, and all of  a sudden it's inventive, imaginative and full of surprises. Then someone else comes along, takes this improved house and puts new pictures on the bedroom wall, changes the color, adds a car port etc. . Now: If someone came along and would be asked to categorize the houses, wouldn't he put the improved houses in the same category?

The point I'm trying to make both here and my "What is Prog" blog is that there is a way to identify Prog in music - and Ivan's post nicely underlines it. If my understanding of Prog that has come about through systematic analysis is that close to Keith Emerson's, then I think I'm probably onto something.

Fine ... so you'll redefine "Prog" so that it doesn't include artists like Spock's Beard or The Flower Kings. Am I the only one who sees a problem there?

Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge that "Prog" contains both original/deep and derivative/shallow artists (with all that's in between) and then to point out for each artist/album how original/deep it is? In essence it boils down to defining a subset "Truly Prog" within "Prog".
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 16:42

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

A Prog Icon gave us the perfect definition of Prog:

What is progressive rock ?

"It is music that does progress. It takes an idea and developes it, rather than just repeat it. Pop songs are about repetition and riffs and simplicity. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential."

Keith Emerson

Apply this to Prog Metal, and you will get an easy answer.

Iván

A very idealistic way of looking at it - the same ideal that I was exploring in my "What is Prog" blog. In principle, I completely agree with this - although recognise that even the best Prog does not achieve this 100% of the time.

Of course no definition is 100% accurate, but it got the basic issues:

1. Development of the work
  2. Not linear (As you know better than I do, Pop has mainly an AbAb structure, maybe with a short intro even when normaly POP stats with the chorus directly, sometimes an instrumental break that foolws the verse or the Chorus and other times a coda (Normally not the last one), and that's all, the idea of Prog is exploring and expanding this structires.

But as you know even in Orchestal Instrumental Music (Hate the generic term Classical, it's not accirate) nothing is perfect, take a look at the Romantic era and then check the Russian Nationalist Miobvement, it's chronologically Romantic, as a fact the Nationalisyt Mvement is considered Romantic, but lately it's been called Pos Romantic and some even call it early Modern, because they broke with the solid structures of French Romanticism.

Te same goes with ciontemporary popular genres, you see Rock's structure is also very simple, but take Jim Steinman's compositions for MMeatloaf, it's full of brdges, with Intro, coda everything extremely different to classic Rock, but it's classic Rock with Metal leanings,

Emersons guives us the ideal search of Prog, many won't achieve it, but the goal is that. 

It is, however, THE guiding principle, and is why I specifically mentioned Spastic Ink in this blog.

You can find it in Prog Metal - but it seems to be sadly lacking in the groups that stand out as "defining" the genre.

I put defining in quotes, because, back in the days of the NWoBHM, bands like Rush and Diamond Head were viewed as Progressive Metal in my circles - Diamond Head particularly got credit for "inventing" it in some of the magazines I read - but groups like Iron Maiden were not considered Progressive Metal as they were in some parts of the US, for example.

The problem of Iron Maiden is the lack of keyboiards, many people can't accept a Prog band from whatever sub-genre without keys, but in the case of Maiden, the combination of guitars is replacing the keys, while one makes the usual Metal sound, the other plays the background and creates atmospheres.

I must admit I found it hard to swallow, except in the absolutely literal sense of the word "Progressive" - ie, something different enough to sound new and exciting. Dream Theater simply added a keyboard and a sheen of technical mastery to a style of music that had been there for at least a decade - they did not re-invent the music in the same dramatic way that Rush or Diamond Head did. Or Iron Maiden or Metallica, come to that.

It's no secret I'm not a DT fan, but I believe that they were a boom, with several talented musicians, they based their sound in virtuosism, but I can't find a solid structure no matter how hard I try, they are like in a contest trying to prove who's best, they priviledge soloing over structures, to be honest I ind Maiden and Sabbath more Prog than Iron Maiden.

I believe Octavarium was the beginning f the end, their formula became exhausted, they lost a lot of credibility after that, even among die hard fans.

This is really repeating the fact that everyone has their own idea of bands that define it, but no-one seems to have a working definition of what it is. It often seems it can be anything you like as long as it includes your favourite heavy metal bands who play stuff that you find difficult to play.

You just hit the nail in the head, DIFFICULTY, I remember readingthe most absurd comparisobn, a member well known for his hate against Genesis wrote "Howe is better than Hackett because I can play Hackett parts but I'm not able to play How parts"

For God's sake, I understand some people may like Howe more, his style is more direct, but difficulty is not everything, Clapton plays exctremely diifficult parts, not to talk about Malmsteen, but none of them is Prog.

On the oher hand Hackett plays atmospheres, maybe not as complex, but a musician finds what a band NEEDS and uses it in benefit of the structure. If Genesis would had required a Santana or a Hendrix wanabee, they had plenty candidates, Peter said it on an interview, "All the guitar players who auditioned for us tried to make flashes like Santana or Hendrix, Steve showed us we required a unique sound based in atmospheres where we were weak, after the dirst session we knew that's what we required."

Another one is Gilmour, normally he's extremely slow in his solos, seems as he works every in every possible way and gives adamn about speed, not precuisely the hardest guitar player to follow, but beyond any doubt one of the most elaborate and Prog guitar player.

In Metal it's worst, the fanbase always searches for the harder studff, if the guy can do what nobody can and plays at 500 miles per hour,. "Hey he must be the best".

Nobody stopped to listen carefully but the most evident Prog elements in Dream Theater are in Ruddess STYLE (Not the use of keyboard) because he adds a Symphonic structure and the way Myung supports the central spine of the band when he can be heard.

The guitar is great, nobody denies the talent of Petrucci, but he does very little to be diferent from traditional metal, faster, stronger and better than most, but Metal plain and simple. 

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 03:22

Yes, they did re-invent music in their own way. Their albums sound unlike anything that was recorded before. Of course if you completely ignore the technical mastery, time signature changes, long-drawn episodic songwriting etc. then I can understand your problems with accepting them as something unique ... but IMO you have to look at the whole picture and not conveniently leave out aspects which interfere with your theory.

Now come on, a few posts ago you said yourself that progressive music is often difficult to play. It doesn't have to be, but it simply often is.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 04:04

That is what we called them back in 1979 - and we called Rush Prog Metal first, so that gives us a fair claim to the title Tongue

Not everyone did, for sure (ie people not familiar with their music, or didn't care, etc.) - but Rush were lumped in with Yes and Genesis et al as Progressive Music, but it was recognised that their music was more metal than rock, and clearly different to Prog Rock, because of the riffs so Progressive Metal it was.

I agree with Dick Heath - the kiddies are rewriting history again...

Yes, they did re-invent music in their own way. Their albums sound unlike anything that was recorded before. Of course if you completely ignore the technical mastery, time signature changes, long-drawn episodic songwriting etc. then I can understand your problems with accepting them as something unique ... but IMO you have to look at the whole picture and not conveniently leave out aspects which interfere with your theory.

Everyone has their own perspective - but I think the difference between elemental differences and fundamental differences in musical style has been made clear now.

I acknowledge Dream Theater's technical mastery of their instruments.

Time signature changes are incidental - and elemental too. Not every piece of Prog has multiple time changes - it's just not that important. It does happen more often in Prog, that is true - but this is just a way of describing the music, not identifying it.

Long-drawn episodic songwriting is also a characteristic - it simply does not happen 100% of the time in Prog and does not define it any more than it defines psychedelia or Classical music, in which it also happens a lot.

Hold on - technical mastery, long, episodic songs, tempo changes - sounds a LOT like Rush to me.

The confusion I was referring to in my initial blog is caused by looking at the building blocks in this way, and is why it is a nonsense to consider Dream Theater a Prog Metal band, but not Metallica or Rush.

Dream Theater's importance lies in reawakening people to Prog Metal - and full kudos to them for doing that - but not in inventing it.

You're not going to get a good or focussed picture if you use poorly-defined building blocks - garbage in, garbage out.

Now come on, a few posts ago you said yourself that progressive music is often difficult to play. It doesn't have to be, but it simply often is.

Er...

...not sure what you're accusing me of here, but it looks like you're accusing me of saying the same thing twice - for which crime I apologise.

One should never repeat oneself in public... Embarrassed

Edited by Certif1ed - June 18 2008 at 04:21
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 04:18
It reminds me a little of the dilemma Bruce Lee's followers had after he died.  The form of martial art he developed and taught, Jeet Kune Do, was designed to be always evolving, fluid, and able to adapt to any opponent or situation.. essentially a progressive fighting style, a 'way of no way' as he put it.  But over the years as his approach was taught to others, it became a rigid system with rules and techniques never meant to be adhered to.  Sorry, had to slip in the martial arts analogy Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 06:34

That is what we called them back in 1979 - and we called Rush Prog Metal first, so that gives us a fair claim to the title Tongue

Not everyone did, for sure (ie people not familiar with their music, or didn't care, etc.) - but Rush were lumped in with Yes and Genesis et al as Progressive Music, but it was recognised that their music was more metal than rock, and clearly different to Prog Rock, because of the riffs so Progressive Metal it was.

I agree with Dick Heath - the kiddies are rewriting history again...

Obviously that label did not "stick", otherwise a different one would have been chosen for the bands which now carry it, since it would have already been "taken".

I don't think that anyone was rewriting history ... the label simply wasn't used widely enough for bands like Rush to *become* history.

Everyone has their own perspective - but I think the difference between elemental differences and fundamental differences in musical style has been made clear now.

I acknowledge Dream Theater's technical mastery of their instruments.

Time signature changes are incidental - and elemental too. Not every piece of Prog has multiple time changes - it's just not that important. It does happen more often in Prog, that is true - but this is just a way of describing the music, not identifying it.

I disagree. Of course you could rewrite a piece which is in 7/4 to be in 4/4 instead. But it would not be the same piece anymore. Whether the time signature (or change of it) is an important element or superficial - or in other words: how much it adds to the substance of the piece - can only be determined individually, looking at the whole track as a piece of art.

Obvious example: Take 5. Take away the 5/4 ... of course it would work, but it wouldn't be the same anymore. Or consider Pink Floyd - Money. Take Steve Vai's highly energetic track "Kill the Guy with the Ball" ... it has a passage where the drummer deliberately gets out of sync with the band by one 16th note for each bar for like 4 bars until they get in sync again (if I remember it correctly). You absolutely can't take that away from the track, since it symbolises the chase (of the guy with the ball). It's essential.

Long-drawn episodic songwriting is also a characteristic - it simply does not happen 100% of the time in Prog and does not define it any more than it defines psychedelia or Classical music, in which it also happens a lot.

Hold on - technical mastery, long, episodic songs, tempo changes - sounds a LOT like Rush to me.

Who are considered to be a progressive band.Big%20smile

The confusion I was referring to in my initial blog is caused by looking at the building blocks in this way, and is why it is a nonsense to consider Dream Theater a Prog Metal band, but not Metallica or Rush.

Now you're throwing everything together. Dream Theater vs. Rush is not a case of Prog vs. Non-Prog, but of Metal vs. Hard Rock. You're also welcome to calling Rush "Prog Metal" if you feel that "Metal" should include every style between Steppenwolf and Sepultura ... I simply think that in the context of what's commonly called "Prog Metal" we're talking about Post-NWOBHM.

And for the record: In my book Metallica are progressive (as you must know by now) ... it's just their *style* which is very different from the typical Prog Metal bands. But on an album per album base Master of Puppets definitely deserves to be called "Prog Metal" IMHO.

Dream Theater's importance lies in reawakening people to Prog Metal - and full kudos to them for doing that - but not in inventing it.

You're not going to get a good or focussed picture if you use poorly-defined building blocks - garbage in, garbage out.

"Prog" is difficult to grasp. It's something which you can't easily define. Your approach at defining it is certainly valid, in my opinion it's simply not complete. It doesn't cover all the bands which are commonly called "Prog". One fact we know is that Dream Theater are Prog. Now, maybe I'll take the time to define how Dream Theater are different from "normal" metal bands, and these differences might then be used as an indication that something might be Prog.

Of course you can fling insults at me - intentional or not, words like "poor" or "garbage" don't exactly sound friendly - but whatever you do, Dream Theater are Prog. It's as simple as that ... if you disagree, you'll have to find another label to reference what you mean by "Prog".

Er...

...not sure what you're accusing me of here, but it looks like you're accusing me of saying the same thing twice - for which crime I apologise.

One should never repeat oneself in public... Embarrassed

That's a misunderstanding. I simply meant that we should be able to mention that something is difficult to play without others deducing that that alone is sufficient for us to call something Prog. It is a strong factor, but it needs to be accompanied by other elements/trademarks. For example, especially in genres like Thrash or Death the level of difficulty is generally high. If then other elements are added, like concept, jazz elements, epic structures, experimentality/avant-garde (weird things) etc. ... then something *might* be prog, but there are no definitive rules, there is no "prog formula".
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 06:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It reminds me a little of the dilemma Bruce Lee's followers had after he died.  The form of martial art he developed and taught, Jeet Kune Do, was designed to be always evolving, fluid, and able to adapt to any opponent or situation.. essentially a progressive fighting style, a 'way of no way' as he put it.  But over the years as his approach was taught to others, it became a rigid system with rules and techniques never meant to be adhered to.  Sorry, had to slip in the martial arts analogy Smile

That's actually a very nice analogy. There are essentially two aspects colliding: The style and the approach. Followers can either copy the original style, or develop new styles using the approach of the original artists. The former is more easily recognisable as being similar to the original, especially by people without a musical background. The latter is more interesting and rewarding to check out, but also much harder to recognize or identify since it requires in-depth knowledge. It's surely quite difficult for someone who has never played an instrument or studied music theory to indentify concepts like Counter-Point or modal scales, cadenzas etc. in a piece of music, let alone the intricate form/structure required by Certif1ed's definition. In effect, his definition is quite radical, and something with which I sympathize, but it would also alienate many "progheads" which are more used to comparing styles and simple elements. In a nutshell by his definition Dream Theater would be replaced with Metallica ... Big%20smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - June 19 2008 at 02:53
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 20:27
A few comments here
First, that quote from Emmerson - Does that mean we eliminate Krautrock from PA ? Oh, wait, that music is not repetitive, it is "droning". Or as they say in some quarters - prog music means not having to make up your mind as to what song you're playing (now you hear it, now you don't!)
Second, prog metal is doomed because it is associated with metal. Metal is associated with noise. Noise is associated with RIO/Avant-Garde and Krautrock, therefore Prog Metal is not prog.
Third - Prog Metal can't be prog 'cause there are loud guitars and screaming singers.
Fourth - Keyboards are necessary for a band to be considered prog ?
Fifth - No , really , keyboards are necessary for a band to be prog ?
Sixth - Can someone stop that ringing ?///}
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 21:35
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

A few comments here
First, that quote from Emmerson - Does that mean we eliminate Krautrock from PA ? Oh, wait, that music is not repetitive, it is "droning". Or as they say in some quarters - prog music means not having to make up your mind as to what song you're playing (now you hear it, now you don't!)

I believe you're making a generalization about Krautrock that denies it's essence, Krautrock started as German Psyche, and for that reason exploring foreign influences rarely used in Rock before.

Yes, they have repetitive rhythm, but the exploration of the posibilities is in other point, they were the first to really use the heavy atmospheres and the spacey sounds, so they explored the posibilities as Emerson said, not my cup of tea, but they really deserve the name of Prog.

Second, prog metal is doomed because it is associated with metal. Metal is associated with noise. Noise is associated with RIO/Avant-Garde and Krautrock, therefore Prog Metal is not prog.

That's called reduction to absurd, and would only work if the screams and noise were an exclusive characteristic of a non Prog genre, but it's not, you have noise in early Psyche if not listen Careful with that Axe Eugene also with early Hard Prog, you can listen Uriah Heep or Deep Purple or even the distorted noises that King Crimson used and Uriah Heep, or the noises inclueded in early space Pink Flyd albums .

Noise can be found anywhere.

Third - Prog Metal can't be prog 'cause there are loud guitars and screaming singers.

Loud guitars: Marillion, Heep, Deep Purple, Kansas, Genesis (Listen Giant Hogweed), Rush,

Screams: Have you ever listened the Musical Box Final section, or Giant Hogweed or Supper's Ready? Of course if you don't want to mention David Byron, David Surkamp, Geddy Lee, etc and even the ballad oriented Greg Lake singing 21st Century Schizoid Man with heavy distorted guitars.

There are screams everywhere.

Fourth - Keyboards are necessary for a band to be considered prog ?

I don't believe so, instruments don't make the music, musicians make the music.

Fifth - No , really , keyboards are necessary for a band to be prog ?

Honestly, I believe not.

Sixth - Can someone stop that ringing ?///}

Ask a doctor, may be the same virus that attacked Phil Collins and caused him tinittus. LOL

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 18 2008 at 21:40

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 22:01

hhahha...  f**king A....

post of the week right there.... anyone who can work a Bruce Lee analogy into a Prog Metal thread.... is truly God on Earth for the week ClapLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
preqT0THEseq7 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 23:22
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hhahha...  f**king A....

post of the week right there.... anyone who can work a Bruce Lee analogy into a Prog Metal thread.... is truly God on Earth for the week ClapLOL

Agreed Big%20smile
Idk, My BFF Steve.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 00:05
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hhahha...  f**king A....

It will take me some time... But I promise I'll bring Steven Seagal into this discussion...Tongue
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 07:16
What the?

As far as i know and as far as anyone that i know who is old enough to have lived that period Rush was NOT a progressive rock band neither a progressive metal one (what the hell?), just a terrific HARD ROCK band. It just happens that people who lived when history is in the making don't know the exact outcome of things and, about Rush, that was what happened. some years later (i think on the early 90's, already in internet chat things) Rush's classification changed widely to progressive rock wile it was still a hard rock band, which was quite reasonable since they for sure had some of the progressive rock elements.

Nowadays its classification is changing again to progressive metal. People, we HAVE to remember that, if we are going to change Rush's classification we'd better change also Deep Purple's and Led Zeppelin's to metal and also keep in mind that the measuring stick for old school metal is Black Sabbath. Come on, think about it: if Rush indeed was a progressive metal band, they would not had only invented progressive metal, but also they would be one of the inventors of metal itself.

i wish i could have thought that, since it falls right into what i just said: some classifications are just forced, like putting Rush in the prog metal genre. Just let it be where it belongs: the hard rock session (and occasionally on the prog rock Tongue).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 07:25

What the?

As far as i know and as far as anyone that i know who is old enough to have lived that period Rush was NOT a progressive rock band neither a progressive metal one (what the hell?), just a terrific HARD ROCK band. It just happens that people who lived when history is in the making don't know the exact outcome of things and, about Rush, that was what happened. some years later (i think on the early 90's, already in internet chat things) Rush's classification changed widely to progressive rock wile it was still a hard rock band, which was quite reasonable since they for sure had some of the progressive rock elements.

Nowadays its classification is changing again to progressive metal. People, we HAVE to remember that, if we are going to change Rush's classification we'd better change also Deep Purple's and Led Zeppelin's to metal and also keep in mind that the measuring stick for old school metal is Black Sabbath. Come on, think about it: if Rush indeed was a progressive metal band, they would not had only invented progressive metal, but also they would be one of the inventors of metal itself.

I'm to young to know first hand, but from the various discussions I gather that there are two major theories: One defines that everything as heavy as Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild is metal (consider the line "heavy metal thunder" ...). The other one defines this type of music as "hard rock". I belong to the latter (obviously), and generally the younger people are, the more they'll tend to choose "hard rock" as a label for those bands since they grew up with modern metal of the 1980s.

Of course there's a third alternative: Instead of "hard rock" you could say "classic metal", or "heavy metal". But it's all a bit ambiguous no matter how you put it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>