Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPinning down your personal taste!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:00

^ I guess I'm one of those rare people who has never fallen out of love... If I've loved something (or someone) at sometime in my life then I still do in someway or other.

What?
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

^ I guess I'm one of those rare people who has never fallen out of love... If I've loved something (or someone) at sometime in my life then I still do in someway or other.

I hardly ever "grow out" of something, but in the case of some music, my tastes have rapidly developed in the last 4 years. Because of that, there will be artists I like more or less than I used to, but I'll still love them.

However, I do have that occasional band that I liked but then after a certain time just don't hit me the same. I suppose I never did truly "love" their music, or else it would have stayed with me. That's my theory anyway.
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

LOL
Haha, well, I shall have to make sure to wear my bullet proof vest in future! LOL

I already do. I would wear like 10 though if I also didn't like Genesis or Porcupine Tree. Tongue

(*cough*Magma > Genesis*cough*)

....I didn't say that!! LOL

Er, maybe a suit of armour... Confused LOL

(That thing you didn't say... of course I couldn't possibly comment... Wink LOL)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:32

LOL
Haha, well, I shall have to make sure to wear my bullet proof vest in future! LOL

I already do. I would wear like 10 though if I also didn't like Genesis or Porcupine Tree. Tongue

(*cough*Magma > Genesis*cough*)

....I didn't say that!! LOL

(That thing you didn't say... of course I couldn't possibly comment... Wink LOL)

*runs up to attic storage* Now where did I put that armor...?

I love ProgArchives. A place where people actually understand when I make music jokes or references, and especially those who understand the consequence of my "heresies"; it's so wonderful. It's even better when I find someone who agrees with me on them. LOL

(Like how I don't like Pink Floyd, think Magma is the greatest thing ever--yes, better than Yes or Genesis, *gasp*--, or absolutely love Rush's and King Crimson's 1980s stuff to death Embarrassed)

EDIT: Maybe I should stop hijacking your thread now. Tongue

Edited by MovingPictures07 - June 24 2008 at 16:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:37

...and just hope they're dumb enough to aim for the vest Evil%20Smile

'Salright, I'll just round up a bunch of really mean Magma fanatics to act as my bodyguards. Tongue

Wink it's okay not to like Floyd, or any band - all tastes are different.

Good thing too.  Never having to defend one's opinion... it'd be dull! Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:39

'Salright, I'll just round up a bunch of really mean Magma fanatics to act as my bodyguards. Tongue

Ooooh!! Me first!! Anything for the Almighty Vander!! LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:47

*runs up to attic storage* Now where did I put that armor...?

I love ProgArchives. A place where people actually understand when I make music jokes or references, and especially those who understand the consequence of my "heresies"; it's so wonderful. It's even better when I find someone who agrees with me on them. LOL

(Like how I don't like Pink Floyd, think Magma is the greatest thing ever--yes, better than Yes or Genesis, *gasp*--, or absolutely love Rush's and King Crimson's 1980s stuff to death Embarrassed)

EDIT: Maybe I should stop hijacking your thread now. Tongue

I'm starting to like it here too.  Of course, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about most of the time, I'm only just dipping my toe into all this music... and I have the suspicion that I confirm my general idiocy in every post... but it's fun nonetheless! Smile

I'm happy you hijacked the thread... it's turning into a conversation! Big%20smile

[General Descent into Fanaticism update: I now have a picture of Magma on my pinboard at work.  Embarrassed Vander's eyes really do follow you around the room...  I hope the cleaner won't die of fright. Dead]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 16:48

Ok, but you must bring your own leather overcoat and Zeuhl medallion. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 17:00

Sort of the same for me, I think.  There are things that I don't listen to as often nowadays as I used to, perhaps - but that doesn't mean I don't still rate them very highly.  (And some of 'em are so ingrained on my brain from repeated listening that it's almost easier to remember than actually listen again... Confused)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 17:52

I'm starting to like it here too.  Of course, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about most of the time, I'm only just dipping my toe into all this music... and I have the suspicion that I confirm my general idiocy in every post... but it's fun nonetheless! Smile

Haha, I haven't detected a pinch of idiocy in any of your posts; they seem well-thought out and they're always very interesting to read. Big%20smile

I've been on this site unofficially for 2 or 3 years now, easily, and I still know there are grounds I haven't discovered--But I love it that way. I grew to like some more sub-genres since then for sure too--I used to be heavily into Symphonic Prog, but now I have about equal knowledge of alot of them. I never was much of a metalhead either before I found this site... but ironically, I'm listening to Opeth right now, and loving it. Clap

I'm happy you hijacked the thread... it's turning into a conversation! Big%20smile

Well, thanks! It's about time my music-rambling skills came in handy. Tongue

[General Descent into Fanaticism update: I now have a picture of Magma on my pinboard at work.  Embarrassed Vander's eyes really do follow you around the room...  I hope the cleaner won't die of fright. Dead]

OMG! Shocked That's really awesome! *bows to you since that's one of the most awesome things I've ever heard* LOL I'll need to do something like that.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 17:54

Ok, but you must bring your own leather overcoat and Zeuhl medallion. Tongue

Man, that reminds me of just how badly I want a Zeuhl medallion. LOL

Oh well, at least I have the shirt. Big%20smile

(Seriously though--to any hardcore Zeuhlhead who might be happening to look at this thread or anyone else who would know---if someone finds somewhere where I can get one, that'd be wicked as hell... I haven't had any luck, haha)

Edited by MovingPictures07 - June 24 2008 at 17:55
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 05:09
Good post Miss M, can't place your taste with mine because I have never lent an ear to Zappa nor Magma, which is unfortunate, but I have such a big CD collection, that I possibly have over a hundred that I have only listened to once, and another century of listened two twice amd I reckon I must have two dozen waiting for me to listen to ONCE!
I probably won't be happy till my entire house is stacked from floor to ceiling with prog CD's....
But in essence my taste is for Excellent Muscianship and EXTENDED theme and multiple repetition of themes, thus SYMPHONIC PROG usually hits the mark, and I'll let you guess my three favourite bands.......

Ciao.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 05:45

Man, that reminds me of just how badly I want a Zeuhl medallion. LOL

Oh well, at least I have the shirt. Big%20smile

(Seriously though--to any hardcore Zeuhlhead who might be happening to look at this thread or anyone else who would know---if someone finds somewhere where I can get one, that'd be wicked as hell... I haven't had any luck, haha)

The Seventh website has 'em (along with various other bric-à-brac and sundries!): here

I so want the MDK score.

I'm doing a silversmithing course in the summer.  It might be rather fun (although somewhat silly) to make one... Big%20smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 09:41
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Good post Miss M, can't place your taste with mine because I have never lent an ear to Zappa nor Magma, which is unfortunate, but I have such a big CD collection, that I possibly have over a hundred that I have only listened to once, and another century of listened two twice amd I reckon I must have two dozen waiting for me to listen to ONCE!
I probably won't be happy till my entire house is stacked from floor to ceiling with prog CD's....
But in essence my taste is for Excellent Muscianship and EXTENDED theme and multiple repetition of themes, thus SYMPHONIC PROG usually hits the mark, and I'll let you guess my three favourite bands.......

Ciao.

Thanks, glad you liked it! Smile

I'm not the best person to make a guess, because I'm pretty clueless about most prog really... but I suppose Yes is always a safe bet?! Tongue

I've heard of people having to move house to accommodate their collections of stuff (not necessarily CDs), so you're not alone on the out-of-control collection...

Mine is relatively free of things I've not listened to yet/only heard once or twice, but that's because I'm a very sceptical customer...! LOL

Edited by song_of_copper - June 25 2008 at 09:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 10:05

Haha, I haven't detected a pinch of idiocy in any of your posts; they seem well-thought out and they're always very interesting to read. Big%20smile

Embarrassed Thanks!  'Mutant appreciation' heading your way of course... Smile

[Snippety snip]

OMG! Shocked That's really awesome! *bows to you since that's one of the most awesome things I've ever heard* LOL I'll need to do something like that.

Embarrassed Embarrassed And now I'm being bowed to!!  Heavens! Embarrassed  It is awesome, of course, that you find that awesome...  Most people would probably be wondering why I have a rogues' gallery of *bad 1970s hair* on my wall... LOL

The joy of having an office to yourself is that you can play whatever music you like, so the playlist is just as awesome as the pictures.  The other day I put on 'Weasels Ripped My Flesh' - and nobody noticed! Shocked

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 10:24

The Seventh website has 'em (along with various other bric-à-brac and sundries!): here

Yay, thanks!! Big%20smile Now I know they exist. LOL I will get something... somehow...

I so want the MDK score.

I'm doing a silversmithing course in the summer.  It might be rather fun (although somewhat silly) to make one... Big%20smile

Woah... that would be even more wicked. Not only could you go around with a freaking awesome Magma medallion, but you could then be even more proud that you made it! If I were taking that course (which sounds really cool... now I wish I could LOL), I definitely would do it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 10:34
Oooh... I love how colorful these posts are getting. Tongue

Embarrassed Thanks!  'Mutant appreciation' heading your way of course... Smile

No problem. Smile

Embarrassed Embarrassed And now I'm being bowed to!!  Heavens! Embarrassed  It is awesome, of course, that you find that awesome...  Most people would probably be wondering why I have a rogues' gallery of *bad 1970s hair* on my wall... LOL

Haha, no, I'm one of those extremely few people who thinks that's just about one of the coolest possible thing ever. LOL I would definitely hang pictures of Vander, Peart, Bruford, and many other completely awesome people, haha.

The joy of having an office to yourself is that you can play whatever music you like, so the playlist is just as awesome as the pictures.  The other day I put on 'Weasels Ripped My Flesh' - and nobody noticed! Shocked

Yes!! That is also deserving of some sort of commemoration, haha. Just the fact that you can play that album while you're working... I'd never leave that job! LOL (Well, it depends)

If I had an environment like that, I would definitely bring in different music every day... I'd probably spend 30 minutes at home a day just deciding which kickass CD to bring the next day. Tongue

Man, that makes me wish I was working at that same place you were; we could have music wars (whoever notices our music the most and gets pissed at it the most... that's always fun). I would love bringing things like Magma- "Kohntarkosz", Gentle Giant- "Interview", Soft Machine- "Third", Captain Beefheart- "Trout Mask Replica", King Crimson- "Discipline", and many other favorites of mine to work.

That sounds incredibly epic. Though I'm probably the only person I know who would think that (except two of my friends, and of course the fine people here on PA LOL).

Edited by MovingPictures07 - June 25 2008 at 10:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 10:58

Getting a migraine yet?? Dead

[Snip!]

Yes!! That is also deserving of some sort of commemoration, haha. Just the fact that you can play that album while you're working... I'd never leave that job! LOL (Well, it depends)

It's a pretty ok place.  My work's quite dull, hence my ability to concentrate on it whilst music is playing (not to mention post messages on here...), but the people are... eccentric. Tongue  (Who am I to talk - I'm one of 'em...)

If I had an environment like that, I would definitely bring in different music every day... I'd probably spend 30 minutes at home a day just deciding which kickass CD to bring the next day. Tongue

Man, that makes me wish I was working at that same place you were; we could have music wars (whoever notices our music the most and gets pissed at it the most... that's always fun). I would love bringing things like Magma- "Kohntarkosz", Gentle Giant- "Interview", Soft Machine- "Third", Captain Beefheart- "Trout Mask Replica", King Crimson- "Discipline", and many other favorites of mine to work.

Check, and check! Tongue LOL  Playlist mainstays, both.

Currently listening to Present, 'Triskaidekaphobie'.

That sounds incredibly epic. Though I'm probably the only person I know who would think that (except two of my friends, and of course the fine people here on PA LOL).

Epic indeed!  Epic is good! Big%20smile

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 11:26

Getting a migraine yet?? Dead

No, but my eyes are not thanking me. LOL

It's a pretty ok place.  My work's quite dull, hence my ability to concentrate on it whilst music is playing (not to mention post messages on here...), but the people are... eccentric. Tongue  (Who am I to talk - I'm one of 'em...)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I listen to music very often though, and most of the time I'm able to concentrate on something while listening to music (it may depend on what it is).

Yay! I bet you at least get some comments on those two, I would imagine. LOL

Present keeps popping up to me in my daily activities. I should probably take this as a sign and start getting some of their stuff. Tongue

What do you recommend?

I love how I've pretty much strayed off topic in several different directions in this thread now.
Embarrassed

Edited by MovingPictures07 - June 25 2008 at 11:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 13:51

Yay! I bet you at least get some comments on those two, I would imagine. LOL

Not so far, although it's an old building with thick walls... very little scope for noise pollution!

Present keeps popping up to me in my daily activities. I should probably take this as a sign and start getting some of their stuff. Tongue

What do you recommend?

I'm new to them myself, just got hold of the two-albums-on-one-CD edition of 'Triskaidekaphobie' and 'Le Poison Qui Rend Fou'.  I'm really liking it - it's very modern sounding for 1980s music, and although many people seem to tag it as 'sinister' and 'dark', it's not a difficult listen - more kind of sarcastic than dark, I think!  And it's got a nice amount of complexity going on, without being overly-intellectual sounding.  I'd imagine anyone who likes Zappa and Magma might well like it. Smile  I'll probably pick up more at some point but I want to check out Univers Zero first.

I love how I've pretty much strayed off topic in several different directions in this thread now.
Embarrassed

And why not indeed?!  I'm not complaining... LOL

Edited by song_of_copper - June 25 2008 at 13:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>