Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPinning down your personal taste!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 14:38
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

I'm doing a silversmithing course in the summer.  It might be rather fun (although somewhat silly) to make one... Big%20smile

Woah... that would be even more wicked. Not only could you go around with a freaking awesome Magma medallion, but you could then be even more proud that you made it! If I were taking that course (which sounds really cool... now I wish I could LOL), I definitely would do it.

Well, if I do, you can be sure I'll be posting pictures somewhere around here! LOL
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:52

Check, and check! Tongue LOL  Playlist mainstays, both.

Yay! I bet you at least get some comments on those two, I would imagine. LOL

Not so far, although it's an old building with thick walls... very little scope for noise pollution!

Wow, I bet that's a good thing. Though... just knowing the way I am, I would have at least liked to see some peoples' faces. LOL

Currently listening to Present, 'Triskaidekaphobie'.

Present keeps popping up to me in my daily activities. I should probably take this as a sign and start getting some of their stuff. Tongue

What do you recommend?

I'm new to them myself, just got hold of the two-albums-on-one-CD edition of 'Triskaidekaphobie' and 'Le Poison Qui Rend Fou'.  I'm really liking it - it's very modern sounding for 1980s music, and although many people seem to tag it as 'sinister' and 'dark', it's not a difficult listen - more kind of sarcastic than dark, I think!  And it's got a nice amount of complexity going on, without being overly-intellectual sounding.  I'd imagine anyone who likes Zappa and Magma might well like it. Smile  I'll probably pick up more at some point but I want to check out Univers Zero first.

Awesome! It sounds cool to me; I'm definitely adding them to my "to hear" list. However, with the loads of stuff that I have (easily over 1000 CDs), I think it might be a week or two. Since I want to hear them really badly now though, it'd be that much maximum (I hope). Too bad I just went on an acquiring spree. Dammit. LOL

I have all of Univers Zero albums. Big%20smile Speaking of which.... I'll need to dig those out again either today or tomorrow. Great stuff!! I should listen to them more often. I can't right now though, I'm heavily immersed in the Hhai/Live version of Kohntarkosz (Kohntark). I have it cranked. LOL

As for Univers Zero... all of the albums are really good. But I would go chronologically, personally (if you can).

I love how I've pretty much strayed off topic in several different directions in this thread now.
Embarrassed

And why not indeed?!  I'm not complaining... LOL

Well, if I have your permission then... Tongue

Edited by MovingPictures07 - June 25 2008 at 15:53
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:55

I'm doing a silversmithing course in the summer.  It might be rather fun (although somewhat silly) to make one... Big%20smile

Woah... that would be even more wicked. Not only could you go around with a freaking awesome Magma medallion, but you could then be even more proud that you made it! If I were taking that course (which sounds really cool... now I wish I could LOL), I definitely would do it.

Well, if I do, you can be sure I'll be posting pictures somewhere around here! LOL

YES! Let me know if/when you post them. LOL
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 17:08

Wow, I bet that's a good thing. Though... just knowing the way I am, I would have at least liked to see some peoples' faces. LOL

Oh totally.  Sometimes people come in and say, "Oh, that's nice, you've got music on!", but other than that...

It's odd, they are quite tolerant and not very curious! Confused

Awesome! It sounds cool to me; I'm definitely adding them to my "to hear" list. However, with the loads of stuff that I have (easily over 1000 CDs), I think it might be a week or two. Since I want to hear them really badly now though, it'd be that much maximum (I hope). Too bad I just went on an acquiring spree. Dammit. LOL

According to NaturalScience (see the 'RIO Drop-In Centre' thread...) it can be had for five of yer measly earth-dollars... LOL but that might be 2nd-hand, I don't know...

There are lots of samples at the Present website.

I have all of Univers Zero albums. Big%20smile Speaking of which.... I'll need to dig those out again either today or tomorrow. Great stuff!! I should listen to them more often. I can't right now though, I'm heavily immersed in the Hhai/Live version of Kohntarkosz (Kohntark). I have it cranked. LOL

Go Paganotti! Heart

It's variety all the way here.  This Heat followed by Todd Rundgren!

As for Univers Zero... all of the albums are really good. But I would go chronologically, personally (if you can).

Thanks for the tip - I expect that's what I'll do.

I love how I've pretty much strayed off topic in several different directions in this thread now.
Embarrassed

And why not indeed?!  I'm not complaining... LOL

Aargh, the offtopickness becomes steadily more epic... this is probably contrary to forum conventions... Confused  But I'm enjoying the conversation muchly! LOL

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 17:33

Oh totally.  Sometimes people come in and say, "Oh, that's nice, you've got music on!", but other than that...

It's odd, they are quite tolerant and not very curious! Confused

That does seem really odd. My parents and brother know my interesting tastes... my father is the only one who also loves Rush, Kansas, Yes, and other things like that... but when it comes to Magma or Gentle Giant... LOL

Usually though people are at least curious about what type of music I listen to... (well, I am extremely outward about letting people know that it's my passion Tongue)

According to NaturalScience (see the 'RIO Drop-In Centre' thread...) it can be had for five of yer measly earth-dollars... LOL but that might be 2nd-hand, I don't know...

There are lots of samples at the Present website.

Awesome!! Thanks. Smile

Dang though, earth dollars? Looks like I'll have to go research the Kobaian-Earth exchange rate AGAIN! LOL

Go Paganotti! Heart

Paganotti is the man. (But not as awesome as Vander... but I'm biased)

I'm still on Magma... this time it's Attahk (which is heavily underrated, IMO), but I was listening to Gentle Giant earlier today. I'm going to be on a Rush phase here soon too, I'd imagine, since I'm seeing them live in 5 days. Big%20smile Besides that, I have no clue what's after Magma. Maybe Koenjihyakkei or Univers Zero? Not sure yet. But as to the variety, that can happen very often with me. I'll go from listening to Porcupine Tree and then to Samla Mammas Manna. Tongue

Thanks for the tip - I expect that's what I'll do.

No problem.

Aargh, the offtopickness becomes steadily more epic... this is probably contrary to forum conventions... Confused  But I'm enjoying the conversation muchly! LOL

I am enjoying it as well. Screw the forum conventions! Since when was I conventional? Ha. LOL

*makes sure he has his armor on just in case an admin's wrath is provoked*

Edited by MovingPictures07 - June 25 2008 at 17:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 18:08

Usually though people are at least curious about what type of music I listen to... (well, I am extremely outward about letting people know that it's my passion Tongue)

I think I need to be more 'outward' with these things!  That is actually my mission for 2008... Big%20smile

Dang though, earth dollars? Looks like I'll have to go research the Kobaian-Earth exchange rate AGAIN! LOL

Maybe if you cultivate a basilisk stare and say 'Slaoss!!' they'll give it you for free... LOL

Go Paganotti! Heart

Paganotti is the man. (But not as awesome as Vander... but I'm biased)

You need both!  The chemistry! Big%20smile

I'm still on Magma... this time it's Attahk (which is heavily underrated, IMO), but I was listening to Gentle Giant earlier today. I'm going to be on a Rush phase here soon too, I'd imagine, since I'm seeing them live in 5 days. Big%20smile Besides that, I have no clue what's after Magma. Maybe Koenjihyakkei or Univers Zero? Not sure yet. But as to the variety, that can happen very often with me. I'll go from listening to Porcupine Tree and then to Samla Mammas Manna. Tongue

I had to rewrite my 'Attahk' review to tone down my original sneering.  Didn't like it at all at first.  But I often find things that are supposedly 'easier to get into'... harder to get into!  If I was a DJ, I'd totally sneak some 'Attahk' into my set.  It'd be strangely delightful to see people dancing to Magma.  Er, people other than me, that is! Wink

I just had on something completely random - and not to my taste at all!  Not sure what you'd call it - industrial goth techno??!!  (Had to listen to it as a favour for someone - now see me try and come up with something to say... Confused)

What do you reckon to Koenjihyakkei?  I'm very fond of 'Angherr Shisspa', don't have anything else yet though.

I am enjoying it as well. Screw the forum conventions! Since when was I conventional? Ha. LOL

*makes sure he has his armor on just in case an admin's wrath is provoked*

It's ok, we are too civilised to provoke anyone's wrath. Approve

On which note, sadly, I must go to bed now.  Doubtless I shall be around tomorrow though, if you can think of anything else to ramble about! Smile
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 19:18

I think I need to be more 'outward' with these things!  That is actually my mission for 2008... Big%20smile

Well, I'm rather introverted myself, but when I usually talk to someone, it can be hard not to start talking about music. The odd thing is that when I mention music first it is in an attempt to bring up conversation and somehow relate to the person... most of the time it doesn't work. LOL

Maybe if you cultivate a basilisk stare and say 'Slaoss!!' they'll give it you for free... LOL

That'd be awesome. If I seriously could do that, I would.

You need both!  The chemistry! Big%20smile

Ah, good point, haha. But I'm such a huge Magma fanboy that I'd say all of their albums (well, excluding Merci) are at least genius, and nearly all are masterpieces. So the presence of Vander alone is enough for me, but I'll definitely take both if I could. Big%20smile

I had to rewrite my 'Attahk' review to tone down my original sneering.  Didn't like it at all at first.  But I often find things that are supposedly 'easier to get into'... harder to get into! 

I found Attahk as their weakest (hadn't heard Merci) when I first got into Magma, but now I really dig it. Still not my favorite or anything, but it's pretty good.

If I was a DJ, I'd totally sneak some 'Attahk' into my set.  It'd be strangely delightful to see people dancing to Magma.  Er, people other than me, that is! Wink

That'd be awesome. I'm not the biggest dancer, but I'd definitely go just to see that. LOL

I just had on something completely random - and not to my taste at all!  Not sure what you'd call it - industrial goth techno??!!  (Had to listen to it as a favour for someone - now see me try and come up with something to say... Confused)

I always love listening to samples that people give me when they're enthusiastic about music as well (and not into prog). I can usually predict exactly what the song will do for its entire duration just from the first 10 seconds. Every once in a while I'll hear something that isn't bad, but I may be a bit notorious for being a blunt person. Tongue

I'm easily approachable and helpful, but if someone wants my actual opinion (especially on a song) I'll be fully honest about it.

What do you reckon to Koenjihyakkei?  I'm very fond of 'Angherr Shisspa', don't have anything else yet though.

I got into them a few weeks ago and I'm extremely liking it. I have Nivraym and 2 (Ni); I also JUST got Angherr Shisspa, but I haven't heard it yet. My favorite of the two that I've owned for a while is definitely Nivraym. I love them both so it doesn't matter, but that's my personal favorite. My friend prefers Ni, so... either one would be good. Haha.

It's ok, we are too civilised to provoke anyone's wrath. Approve

Indeed we are. Wink

On which note, sadly, I must go to bed now.  Doubtless I shall be around tomorrow though, if you can think of anything else to ramble about! Smile

Alright. I should be on and off tomorrow until the evening, but that doesn't really make a difference for communication here, haha. I absolutely love the internet for the simple fact that you can talk to people around the globe, and it's always really interesting talking to people from Europe or Asia simply for the time changes. As of my post it's 19:18 here.

And don't worry, when it comes to music or anything that I ramble about, I could do it for quite a while.

Edited by MovingPictures07 - June 25 2008 at 19:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 05:44

Well, I'm rather introverted myself, but when I usually talk to someone, it can be hard not to start talking about music. The odd thing is that when I mention music first it is in an attempt to bring up conversation and somehow relate to the person... most of the time it doesn't work. LOL

Yes, I'm absolutely the same.  Also, I'm notorious for having a song lyric quotation for every occasion. Embarrassed

My last somewhat musical conversation at work started out being about the maintenance people's failure to communicate, but somehow I dragged it around to The Residents and their Theory of Obscurity. Big%20smile

Ah, good point, haha. But I'm such a huge Magma fanboy that I'd say all of their albums (well, excluding Merci) are at least genius, and nearly all are masterpieces. So the presence of Vander alone is enough for me, but I'll definitely take both if I could. Big%20smile

I think I'm still somewhat shellshocked by my apparently limitless capacity for adoring Magma. Embarrassed

I found Attahk as their weakest (hadn't heard Merci) when I first got into Magma, but now I really dig it. Still not my favorite or anything, but it's pretty good.

I love how it's kind of 'the CV Entertainment Special'.  Also seems to have a hint of: "Finally, the drums are loud enough in the mix!" ...

I always love listening to samples that people give me when they're enthusiastic about music as well (and not into prog). I can usually predict exactly what the song will do for its entire duration just from the first 10 seconds. Every once in a while I'll hear something that isn't bad, but I may be a bit notorious for being a blunt person. Tongue

I'm easily approachable and helpful, but if someone wants my actual opinion (especially on a song) I'll be fully honest about it.

I'm a bit wary of damning something just because I don't like/am unfamiliar with that genre (as I certainly am with industrial type stuff!!).  If you're not sure what is being aimed at, it's hard to know if it's a success or not...

I got into them a few weeks ago and I'm extremely liking it. I have Nivraym and 2 (Ni); I also JUST got Angherr Shisspa, but I haven't heard it yet. My favorite of the two that I've owned for a while is definitely Nivraym. I love them both so it doesn't matter, but that's my personal favorite. My friend prefers Ni, so... either one would be good. Haha.

I'll surely be checking them out further in the near future...

Alright. I should be on and off tomorrow until the evening, but that doesn't really make a difference for communication here, haha. I absolutely love the internet for the simple fact that you can talk to people around the globe, and it's always really interesting talking to people from Europe or Asia simply for the time changes. As of my post it's 19:18 here.

Oh yes.  Fun and interesting.

Well I'm wondering if there might be a better venue for this conversation, if it continues.  Any ideas??

And don't worry, when it comes to music or anything that I ramble about, I could do it for quite a while.

Moi aussi. LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 10:20

Yes, I'm absolutely the same.  Also, I'm notorious for having a song lyric quotation for every occasion. Embarrassed

I thought I was the only one!! LOL

My last somewhat musical conversation at work started out being about the maintenance people's failure to communicate, but somehow I dragged it around to The Residents and their Theory of Obscurity. Big%20smile

Haha, I bet that was great! LOL

I think I'm still somewhat shellshocked by my apparently limitless capacity for adoring Magma. Embarrassed

I'm not. Tongue

I love how it's kind of 'the CV Entertainment Special'.  Also seems to have a hint of: "Finally, the drums are loud enough in the mix!" ...

Haha, yeah. I always see every Magma album as being pretty unique though; it's quite a feat to see MDK and then have something like Kohntarksoz follow right after it. I mean, they're both Magma, but they're stylistically pretty different. So it's always really hard for me to say the "best" CD (or second best or whatever).

I'm a bit wary of damning something just because I don't like/am unfamiliar with that genre (as I certainly am with industrial type stuff!!).  If you're not sure what is being aimed at, it's hard to know if it's a success or not...

I always give any music that I can tell goes beyond the regular structure at least several listens (and even then, sometimes I might have to put something away and then dig it out a month later)... if I didn't, I probably wouldn't be here. Wink

Well I'm wondering if there might be a better venue for this conversation, if it continues.  Any ideas??

I always use AIM when talking to my friends or just about anyone, as that is most convenient. I also regularly visit two other websites, but I don't know how that would help the conversation as much.

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 13:11
Well I like a lot of different music styles that don't always have a connection with one another. To give a simple summarization though I guess I like:

"edgy, non-conventional, exotic, dynamic interaction fantasies"
PetrucciPal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 14:41
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about musical tastes to lately...and it sucks! Because like, it used to be a lot of classic rock, Rush and Dream Theater. Now, it's been narrowed down to Rush and Dream Theater. Classic rock (to me, Cream, AC/DC, Journey, and sh*t like that) just got old to me, fast. And now...as much as I hate to admit it...I think I like Dream Theater a little more than Rush. But I used to be totally in love with Rush! So idk. It sucks. I'm just all for the big instrumentals, the random beats, the prodigious effort that every member of the band put into every song. Musical tastes are GAY!!! lol XD
For the <3 of John Petrucci!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234