Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBowie enters the Archives!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bowie enters the Archives!
    Posted: June 24 2008 at 14:26
Personally, I had been wondering for a while why he hasn't been here. He had some great material in his earlier years, as well as the Berlin trilogy. So I'm happy he's finally being included in the archives.

What does everyone else think about this?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 14:50
Dude were you asleep?  He was added a couple of days ago...Big%20smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:08
He had his progressive moments but I hardly think of him as a prog artist. I don't think he belongs here.

It makes his work very difficult to properly rate. He has a number of easily 5 star albums, but I would certainly hesitate to call them essential to a prog collection. I'll probably avoid reviewing him.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:15
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

He had his progressive moments but I hardly think of him as a prog artist.

Neither does the archives, as he was placed in prog-related.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:26
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

I don't particularly like the idea of that category in the first place, but I don't think having a slim few progressive tinged albums and songs really qualifies an artist for the inclusion.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:31

I don't particularly like the idea of that category in the first place, but I don't think having a slim few progressive tinged albums and songs really qualifies an artist for the inclusion.

I'm not a huge fan myself, but that ship has sailed.  As for your second part, I think determining prog-related artists can be more challenging than full-on prog, so I guess a variety of opinion on this artist is inevitable.  Apparently the powers that be have a more favorable view on Bowie's output as it relates to prog.

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:42
well, I'm ok with Bowie once we add Björk here too ¬¬
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 16:00

I'm not a huge fan myself, but that ship has sailed.  As for your second part, I think determining prog-related artists can be more challenging than full-on prog, so I guess a variety of opinion on this artist is inevitable.  Apparently the powers that be have a more favorable view on Bowie's output as it relates to prog.

On the bolded part I couldn't agree with you more which is one of the reasons I dislike the category. So much time and effort is spent of debating PR artists that the inclusion of prog artists seems to get swept aside.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 00:43
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

well, I'm ok with Bowie once we add Björk here too ¬¬

Very interesting point especially Bjork's albums post "Post"Smile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 01:20

On the bolded part I couldn't agree with you more which is one of the reasons I dislike the category. So much time and effort is spent of debating PR artists that the inclusion of prog artists seems to get swept aside.

Not true at all. Since you have access to the Collab Zone, I'd recommend you have a look at the Genre Team threads, just to see how we do care about adding prog artists every single day of the week. I can understand having reservations about PP and PR (though it has been said thousands of times that they are here because the owners want them), but not putting down the work of people who genuinely care about enlarging this site's database.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 03:41
Personally, I'm celebrating to such an extent, I've put on my red shoes & am currently dancing the blues

Seriously though, although I consider it to be high time he was added, I know the amount of work put in by the teams prior to approval/inclusion & applaud them for it - this was not an easy one

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 04:51
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Seriously though,

Serious moonlight, the serious moonlight? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 11:36
First of all he was included in prog-related. Second I think he made at least one full-fledged prog album ("Lodger") and three that were pretty close to being full-fledged ones ("Low", "Heroes", "Scary Monsters"). So I would not even have minded to have him put under prog.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:07
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Not true at all. Since you have access to the Collab Zone, I'd recommend you have a look at the Genre Team threads, just to see how we do care about adding prog artists every single day of the week. I can understand having reservations about PP and PR (though it has been said thousands of times that they are here because the owners want them), but not putting down the work of people who genuinely care about enlarging this site's database.

I understand that the higher ups wants the PR and PP here, and thats fine they own the site and they should run it how they want. I'm not complaining, just voicing my opinion.

I'm not putting down the work you and other collabs do, I think you do a fine job and I certainly understand that you have other things to do besides sit around and debate inclusions. I'm just saying that time is spent debating PR artists, and that time I feel could be better spent on progressive ones. I mean there's been threads arguing for Bowie's inclusion since I first became a PR and I'm going to assume long before that. I'm not criticizing the collabs; I'm just expressing that I think the limited time available is better spent on prog artists.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:17
I used to be aganst Bowie's inclusion, but his Psyche early works and the Ziggy Stardust era is at least Protoi Prog.

But BJORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She even embraced Dance, Trip Hop, Club Dance, Euro Pop, please, I know some people want to be considered "open minded", yes you can listen whatever you like, but she's not trascendental at all for Prog, not influential, not clearly influenced.,

That was my concern about Bowie, he has been added and before a week has passed, he's being used as a trampoline to add an even less related artist by the back door.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:24
If I had to bet on it, I'd say this site's probably safe from being bjorked, now Bork on the other hand...

Shocked

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 26 2008 at 13:18

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:32
We have Sigur Ros already - if we had Bjork as well that would be the entire musical output of Iceland...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:40
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

We have Sigur Ros already - if we had Bjork as well that would be the entire musical output of Iceland...

How dare you!

There's tons of Icelandic greats besides those two, like Aniima and

Ok well thats it I guess.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:42

finally he is here,  the UFO has landed! Hug

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 13:03
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I used to be aganst Bowie's inclusion, but his Psyche early works and the Ziggy Stardust era is at least Protoi Prog.

But BJORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She even embraced Dance, Trip Hop, Club Dance, Euro Pop, please, I know some people want to be considered "open minded", yes you can listen whatever you like, but she's not trascendental at all for Prog, not influential, not clearly influenced.,

That was my concern about Bowie, he has been added and before a week has passed, he's being used as a trampoline to add an even less related artist by the back door.

I wouldn't have a problem with Björk in prog-related either. It is not important whether the artist actually wants to produce music that can be categorized as prog, it is important what the music sounds like. Her excursions into Dance or Trip-Hop all have a twist to them that puts them somewhat outside of the genre. She is playfully using these genres to form something of her own artistic vision out of them, and I think that this is what truely characterizes a progressive artist.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>