Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSick of David Bowie choking up the site yet ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Getting sick of him yet ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [17.65%]
28 [82.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 07:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Anyone for starting up an I'm sick and tired of these sick of choking up the archives thread thread? Tongue
I would, but I'm choked up at being sick and tired of I'm sick and tired of these sick of choking up the archives thread threads
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 10:33
Arf, barf, barf!
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 11:51
I've noticed a drastic cut back on the Bowie reviews. So now the complainers can go back to whinging about the "overwhelming" (?) amount of prog metal reviews. Myself, I'm worried about the tidal wave of obscure prog folk groups being covered. Tongue
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Nope,the man's a genius.

ClapClap

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Clap
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2008 at 15:14
There's no such thing as too much Bowie. He's got a knack for altering his sound whenever it suits him. Unlike, you know, other things that have been choking up the site LOL
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 00:24
I can always take an overflow of Deep Purple & Uriah Heep reviews of their "progressive music" meisterworks released over the course of a century of playing Wink. Just don't ask me to consider the performer who put out some mid-career opuses as somewhat deserving of my "prog" attention Clown
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 07:01
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I can always take an overflow of Deep Purple & Uriah Heep reviews of their "progressive music" meisterworks released over the course of a century of playing Wink. Just don't ask me to consider the performer who put out some mid-career opuses as somewhat deserving of my "prog" attention Clown

You know the correct response to your concerns is to contribute some reviews yourself?Wink

As for Bowie, too few reviews IMO. Quite sad!!!

Edited by Chris Stacey - July 05 2008 at 07:02
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 07:42
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

yeah so much for choking up the site huh... 

as far as Bowie...  he is an artist that can not be easily labeled or pigeonholed..  by the trolls ... or even the prog purists. Thus that has blunted the expected wave of rioting in the streets that some here, including the admins I believe, feared upon his addition. Personally...  I always thought there would be no  rioting since fully half this forum had always supported his addition strongly.  The other half.. were composed of  those that flimsily latched on to some label ..like a glam label.. or those who saw that his addition was dangerous to their notions of what prog is.. or what this site should be and were opposed more on principal rather than the artist himself. Who not surprisingly.. could have gone in 4 subgenres here.

As far as reviews... they'll come ...rather than in floods ... more a trickle over the long haul. Judging by feedback.. and various threads and polls over the last couple of years..many know some of man and his output.. similar to Zappa..  it takes some effort and time to follow him and his output .. and changes in direction.  (had watched them.. including Bowie here was a goal from my first day here  hahha.. just a patient soul)

Edited by micky - July 05 2008 at 07:47
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 08:26
For all Bowie fans:

http://www.myspace.com/pagansmind

Check out their excellent cover of Hallo Spaceboy ... I read in an interview that even Bowie himself commended it.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 10:31
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

You know the correct response to your concerns is to contribute some reviews yourself?Wink

True, considering the wealth of classic albums that he's put out. The swell diminished very quickly to a trickle, if you compare it to the period after the whole tech/extreme metal genre's birth.
Both comments were btw, very tongue and cheek. Though I would be ill-suited to defend Purple & Heep's prog credentials. Oh, wait ... they both have that big Hammond organ sound !
 I sometimes wonder why people can't simply overlook the reviews they don't care for. Whether it's due to the genre or band.
As for my own reviews, I have a few coming up. The DVDs of Fish - Return to Childhood, Marillion's Recital of the Script. I want to rent From Stoke Row to Ipenema, then submit all three.
Then I'll trash some krautrock and Zeuhl, and iconisize some Ange,Split Enz, and Moody Blues albums
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12