Topic ClosedOff at Tangents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 240>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off at Tangents
    Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:01
Some of you may already know what the word 'electricity' stands for. If so, raise your leftmost hand and whisper in a gentle way: "Victory!" And if you're a mountain lion, well, that's not my problem anyhow.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:11
"Can we raise the bar further?" Jenny asked the crowd.
It was always a strange misconception that the bar could be lowered. Many had tried, but simply fell flat on their faces. Many tried using hyper technological tools, still failed.

So it was back to the drawing board, only to realize perhaps the bar should be raised instead.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:14
"I can't think of anything funny to write here", the writer said, and his typewriter said the same.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 04:39
The typewriter buzzed, it being an electric model: "It always puzzled me to the tangential qualities that any of the posts in the previous incarnation of this thread; surely they should have had some contact or reference with the previous post before branching off on some perpendicular line of thought and not just be random disconnected utterances" ... the words hammered in the crisp white pater as he typed, throwing urgency and emphasis into the reply.
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 05:43
While I certainly agree with your insightful remarks I can't help but point out that such references are merely logical and thus trivial constructions that can be formed on any material regardless of its semantic value. What comes to the typewriter, most often what comes to the typewriter from the typist comes to the typist from the typewriter.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 06:05
Be that as it may, or may not, (as the case may ultimately be), the essential premise of any tangential thought whether logical or illogical, trivial or relevant must at some stage be pertinent to the generic state of meaning hitherto ignored by whatever means the postee generated the words on a page (I for one use the modern equivalent, or the "glass typewriter" as I an want to call it) and that stochastic developments of this here thread, while they will inevitably be unpredictable by their very nature, must by some virtue yet to be determined, be backwardly relational.
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 11:30
The whole idea of predetermination is derived from the common misconception that events or moments naturally follow each other and that any moment n comes before the moment n+1 and after the moment n-1. However, if everything was predetermined, the predetermination would have had to happen before the first predetermined moment. Since this can't be the case, we must assume that every moment is determined not by the previous moment, but by some law that exists outside time and thus not before but above the first moment. Since this law L may always be derived from another law (L & (L -> L)) there is not one but several laws that govern the actual events (which may or may not follow each other, but which certainly are exactly what they are regardless of any other moment it may or may not follow). If this is indeed my tangential reply, it is so not because it bears a certain relation to the posts before it, but because it is what it is and thus cannot be otherwise.

Edited by Vompatti - August 12 2008 at 11:31
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 12:25
Ah, I see now, what you have described is not a deterministic law of tangential posting, but a general law of all posts, regardless of their direction and relevance. To be tangential the direction of the post must impinge on some aspect of the preceding one, for that is the definition of "tangent", so while being essentially random in content, it cannot be a complete non-sequitur, its notional direction must be predetermined by some minor element, however fleeting, from the previous post.
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 12:56
I think the minor element you're referring to is just the fact that the tangential post follows (i.e. is situated below) the previous post, which makes the occasional glancer of the thread pay particular attention to the contrast between those two posts. This contrast, if unusual, makes the latter post tangential. However, and I can't stress this enough, what makes the relation between the tangential post and the post before it more important than the relation between any two random posts is the definition of 'tangential', which only applies to a post that is in an unusual contrast with the post before it. It's worth noting that this doesn't require the latter post to be a "reply" of any kind. (It does require, however, that the tangential post appears after a certain post). If I posted something without reading the previous post, my post could still be tangential, but only with the post before it, not, for example, a randomly chosen post from another thread. But, if I can post a tangential post without reading the previous post, it must be so that the previous post does NOT determine the content of the tangential post anyhow.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 19:26
By posting without regard for the previous post the result can only be random, so any resultant tangential nature would be purely co-incidental and therefore not strictly tangential at all. The aim of tangentiality is to cause the course of the thread to diverge from the original goal and follow a different course - continual tangential posting would gradually diverge from the original topic so that after a finite number of posts the resultant topic would bear no relation to the original, yet intermediate steps would appear logical and connected so that no single point could be identified as the moment when the subject was changed. Random posting, while being disruptive to the flow, does not lead to true divergence since it halts the original course and begins a new one, so breaking the continuity which would not occur with in a true tangential exchange - the same result could be achieved by selecting single posts from different threads using gaming dice or the turn of a card. There is a probability (however small) that the sheer randomness could make the subsequent post 100% relevant and sequential and that could even lead to the original topic direction continuing without divergence. Therefore it is entirely feasible that one of the random posts would result in a continuous flow of posts for an indeterminate period as each subsequent random post bore some random connection to the previous through common words or concepts. However there is still no guarantee that the path would be tangential, since could be parallel, perpendicular or asymptotic to the original. This post, (while not being tangential to the previous post), has endeavoured to be tangential to the original topic intent through incremental steps over several posts, hence interrupting the expected Brownian motion of posts through this thread and steering them towards a linear flow.

What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 04:11
If the goal of tangential posting is indeed to gradually steer away from the original subject, we may only ask: "How big steps are we allowed to take? As big as John Coltrane?" Surely it's not allowed to only frivolously refer to the previous post and then move on to another subject like bunny rabbits. We must maintain some kind of close relation to the previous post while at the same time intentionally yet unnoticeably bringing up another related subject. The problem here is that any two things that can be expressed in one language are somehow related, and there is no objective way to tell how close the relation is. John Coltrane and bunny rabbits, for example, seem to be pretty unrelated unless you happen to be a person who used to have a bunny rabbit named John Coltrane. This problem of relation brings to question the whole concept of tangentiality. If we have no way of telling how strong the relation between two posts are, how can we tell if they're tangential? Someone may think this could be settled by making a list of every pair of things and giving their relation a fixed numeric value, which can then be used in a function that determines how strong the relation between two posts are. It's obvious that calculating the value of this function would be an immense task, since we would have to relate every thing in the first post the every thing in the second post. The main problem, however, is more profound: how can we tell which things are discussed in a given post? A list of words won't be enough, since there are words that refer to several things. 'Duck' for example, is both a bird and a certain action of bending down. Someone may think that since the meaning of 'duck' can easily be picked by looking at the sentence it appears in, we should only consider that one meaning. This we can not do for the simple reason that the word 'duck', even if we know it's used as a noun, may bring to mind the verb 'duck'. The word 'duck' can, in fact, be used in a pun, so that it refers to its both meanings. But if we're really considering everything that appears in a certain post, we should not only look at the words, but the sentences also. It's obvious that different combinations of words (and different combinations of sentences) create new meanings, new "things" are discussed in the post. So if we make a list of every word and every combination of words, is it enough? No. It would give us a way to tell if two posts are tangential, but the results would be unreliable because the method would be wrong. We can't just assume that the word 'duck' refers to a certain thing. Someone who has never heard of ducks (imagine a person born on the Antarctica) may use the word 'duck' to refer to an imaginary creature with four wings and a metallic tail. If he wrote a post that's supposed to be tangential, it would be obvious that we would not be able to derive the thing he refers to with the word 'duck' from our listed meanings of 'duck'. Also, we cannot say that he is using the word the wrong way and we're using it the right way. We could say: "The right way to use the word 'duck' is to use it to refer to a bird (we'd describe the bird here) because that's the meaning given in our list of words and their meanings." But, if we took a look at our list of meanings, how would we be able to tell, what the words there mean? "Does this 'duck' refer to the word 'duck' that I use to describe a certain bird, or does it refer to another word 'duck' that's used to describe a creature with four wings and a metallic tail?" There would be no way to tell.

Edited by Vompatti - August 13 2008 at 04:15
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 04:48
Unless it is a Toilet Duck, or a rubber duck, or an amphibious military vehicle, or Jemima Puddle, Howard, Daffy, Donald, Huey, Dewey and Louie or just simply a roll of Duck Tape used to bind the posts together, but they would all lack context and therefore would be an instantly recognisable point of discontinuity and not an imperceptible moment of digression. So while words may have different meanings and connotations within the broader context it is within the localised context of the preceding post where the relationship must stem and even though one could introduce the tangential digression by way of observing the alternative meaning of a single word and then extrapolating that onto the alternative meanings of similar aquatic bird related words, such as Goose, which also has noun and verb uses; but then we could just swan around for a while pondering other homonyms and perhaps suggesting some that may have amusing or risqué meanings, which would serve adequately as a tangential digression for a brief period within a single post, but could not be sustained over a protracted period without becoming dull and repetitive.
What?
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 14:31
So... there is a reason for cheese.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:36
Indeed, pleasurable activities for this evening will be good.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 11:57
Thanks a lot for ruining my charade! Next time, I'll assure you, you'll have to face my synchronized shrubbery fortification.
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 19:29
I miss my diapers.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 13:11
"Lisa, that's a lot of rich creamery butter"
Prog Reviewer