Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 08:23
I think I'm going to make a Wayside order later this morning or in the early afternoon...TP's guaranteed to be on it, we'll see how good I am with my money other than that. LOL
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 16:26
First listen appraisal: Decline and Fall is a brilliant album!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 22:14
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

First listen appraisal: Decline and Fall is a brilliant album!
You got it already Shocked
Man this could be THE album of 2012
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 00:22
It very well could be THE album of 2012...it'll probably have very sparse competition as far as I'm concerned...the only thing I could see giving it a good fight is the new miRthkon, if we get that this year.  If I get just those two this year, I'll be a very happy progger. Big smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 07:54

It very well could be THE album of 2012...it'll probably have very sparse competition as far as I'm concerned...the only thing I could see giving it a good fight is the new miRthkon, if we get that this year.  If I get just those two this year, I'll be a very happy progger. Big smile
Well there's also:-

Aranis
Far Corner
Vezhlivy Otkaz
Wail Unit ( Frank Fromy's new project)
Panzerpappa

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 11:09
Hmm...not sure if those could quite match Thinking Plague (or miRthkon) as far as my personal tastes go.  Not sure what Frank Fromy's projects are like (and I'm not familiar with Vezhlivy Otkaz) but as for the other groups, I enjoy them, but not at the same level. 
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 11:14
Also, I've finally gotten my feet off the ground and got Dave Willey added to the site.  Immeasurable Currents is one of my favorite albums from 2011, really great stuff throughout...whether it's some of the more overtly avant-rock stuff or some of the more contemplative, laid back music, it's all great to my ears.  
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 12:40

Hmm...not sure if those could quite match Thinking Plague (or miRthkon) as far as my personal tastes go.  Not sure what Frank Fromy's projects are like (and I'm not familiar with Vezhlivy Otkaz) but as for the other groups, I enjoy them, but not at the same level. 
Frank Fromy was the main man in Shub Niggurath. If it's anywhere near a similar vein (and the solo album I have by him is) then I'll be very happy.

Vezhlivy Otkaz was probably my favorite release (Geese & Swans) of 2010. This new one is a rerelease of an album not previously available in the West.

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:02
OH!  I'm not familiar with their original name, then...I know them as Polite Refusal. I do remember enjoying the samples I heard from that album, but never got it yet. Embarrassed
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:07

OH!  I'm not familiar with their original name, then...I know them as Polite Refusal. I do remember enjoying the samples I heard from that album, but never got it yet. Embarrassed

I didn't know them by that name either, I have the album and quite enjoy it.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well there's also:-

Aranis
Far Corner
Vezhlivy Otkaz
Wail Unit ( Frank Fromy's new project)
Panzerpappa

Sans VO and plus TP this list could easily wind up being my top 5 (or maybe 8 as there are always surprises Tongue) for 2012.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:13
Yeah, I know them by Polite Refusal,  Vezhlivy Otkaz and they appear as Вежливый отказ in my iTunes, though I have no idea how to pronounce that. Tongue

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - January 22 2012 at 13:14
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:21
I seem to remember there being a couple other bands releasing new material this year I heard about that I thought would be of interest to those following this thread, but off the top of my head I can only remember Alec K. Redfearn and the Eyesores, who are releasing a new album in September.

And Polite Refusal shows up as Вежливый отказ in my iTunes as well, which doesn't matter right now because they are the only band in cyrillic I have, but if I get more later I'm going to have no good way of figuring out who is who. Giving them another spin now, man, forgot how good these guys were.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:25
Any of you guys know Düreforsög? It´s a Danish band that mixed metal with polka, Tom & Jerry vocals and raw energy. Their first one called Knee is highly recommendable. I remember buying this album after I saw them in concert. Must've been 14 years ago by now - all I recollect from the show is that is was absolutely crazy.
Here are some tracks for ya:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:40
/\
Will give it a go once I've finished listening to Knifeworld, but in the meantime, what are Tom and Jerry vocals? I could've sworn they didn't make any noise ('cept for the occasional yelp of pain from Tom).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 13:46
Heheh maybe I'm imagining things - certainly won't be the first time that's for sure...

These guys jump from high pitched squeaky vocals to growling monster stuff, and it kind of reminds me of an infinitely more violent take on Tom & Jerry. I know, I'm off to the doctor's.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 14:04
Listening to 5uu's Elements right now, and I can't believe I'm only getting to know these guys. Elements is my second album of theirs. My first experience with them was Hunger's Teeth and I'm loving that record.

- Douglas Adams
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 14:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Listening to 5uu's Elements right now, and I can't believe I'm only getting to know these guys. Elements is my second album of theirs. My first experience with them was Hunger's Teeth and I'm loving that record.
I have Hungers Teeth, Crisis In Clay & Abandonship, all are excellent but Hungers Teeth is probably my favorite.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 14:01
Listening to Ruins' album 1986-1992 on Spotify right now...I really need to get my hands on the early EPs somehow...the sound on those is so raw and chaotic, I love it. 
Van Manu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Manu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 07:21
Great New !

Saturday 28 they will be a special Rock In Opposition Day at www.radio-radio.net .

All day long , concerts from the last edition of the Carmaux fest will be broadcasted .

Here is the programm , french hours .
14 h : Yugen
15h15 : Gargantua
16h30 : Vialka
17h30 : Panzerballet
19h-21h : no music but a football match
21h : Once Upon A Time In Belgium ( Aranis , Univers Zero , Present ) , remastered by a magician named Udi Koomran .
22h 45 : Grumpf Quartet
23h : Ruins Alone / Sax Ruins / Ryoko Ono / Dispositivoperilanciobliquodeunasferatta .

Presented in live by the Vraiment Autre Chose 's team , don't miss , will be fabulous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 161>