Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 161>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleep_Within Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 22:42
Wow.  For someone who just started getting into the genre a few months ago, this is a goldmine.  I'll definitely have to spend a few hours looking through this.  I've already found a lot of great material I was previously unfamiliar with.
"I decided to draw some pictures in the air, pictures of all my imaginations."
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 15:26
Welcome Sleep Within! RIO/Avant is certinly a goldmine full of wallet pain. Tongue
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Page 4, unacceptable

Agree. Guess this is a slow time for the Avant world. Anyone with any news on current happenings in the scene??

Apparently, according to their fb page, Rational Diet is no more (at least in that name). At least...that seems to be the general consenus.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 15:39
Maybe not the most current news(small understatement), but I haven't seen it mentioned here before. The most recent Samla Mammas Manna called Kaka, cake, is just wonderful. I got it a little while back not knowing what to expect, and it is actually pretty damn good.

Regarding real news, I guess that last years October Equus album really is quite marvelous for a new release. More recent news than that, is beyond possible for me...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Welcome Sleep Within! RIO/Avant is certinly a goldmine full of wallet pain. Tongue

Page 4, unacceptable

Agree. Guess this is a slow time for the Avant world. Anyone with any news on current happenings in the scene??

Apparently, according to their fb page, Rational Diet is no more (at least in that name). At least...that seems to be the general consenus.

From what I understand (perhaps you have seen a new development since then) - Rational Diet's founder dissolved the group or something, but the rest of the band went on using the name. It sounds like he is pretty upset about that and trying to get them to stop. But it sounds also like AltRock records is planning ot release their next record.

It's a shame really, Rational Diet was superb, "On Phenomena and Existences" is one of the top AltRock releases thus far imo (and it has a lot of competition)
Sleep_Within View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleep_Within Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 16:50

I'm already finding this to be true.  Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 17:01
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Page 4, unacceptable

From what I understand (perhaps you have seen a new development since then) - Rational Diet's founder dissolved the group or something, but the rest of the band went on using the name. It sounds like he is pretty upset about that and trying to get them to stop. But it sounds also like AltRock records is planning ot release their next record.

It's a shame really, Rational Diet was superb, "On Phenomena and Existences" is one of the top AltRock releases thus far imo (and it has a lot of competition)

From what I gathered there was a "split"...it seemed like something would continue from the ashes but it wouldbt be Rational Diet (even if only by name...meaning most of the band members would be continuing on). But it is hard to follow the story line...esp being its not in English.

And indeed. RD was my second favorite band on the label (the first being Yugen).
Morelli View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 20:58
Sequel of the Romantic Warriors Documentary is about Rock in Opposition:

2 days left to contribute to the fundraiser campaign. Click here:

Sleep_Within View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleep_Within Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 22:24
Originally posted by Morelli Morelli wrote:

This looks amazing.

They say the projected completion date is July 2012.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 22:51
GERSHWIN by THE RESIDENTS (1984). I like this rhapsody.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 23:38
Originally posted by Morelli Morelli wrote:

Thumbs Up
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alucard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 06:28
Albert Marcoeur plays two concerts in Paris with the Quatuor Bela.
Sat 26/05 20:00
Sund 27/05 17:00
at the
Atelier du Plateau
5, rue de plateau
75019 Paris
(cosy small venue with restaurant and bar)
Entry : 14 Euros
Rare occasion to see him live!

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

ElephantTalk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElephantTalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 09:49
Sorry.

Edited by ElephantTalk - May 14 2012 at 01:36
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 22:25
I think you posted that in the wrong thread. Wink
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 23:57
Page 4? Unacceptable!

there is now an entire Radiation10 concert on youtube, posted by the Collectif Coax account so it's official sh*t

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 21:28
This month's Rabbit Rabbit radio song is awesomesoawesome
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 23:58
^ it's the best one yet :O
There be dragons
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

^ it's the best one yet :O

For me that's still the first...I love Hush Hush.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 00:35
yeah honestly they're all great, but this one the part the bell thingies come one I just melt. Next time they're gonna do "The Curious One"!

There be dragons
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 19:16
Page six...this is just unacceptable.  WE MUST REVIVE.

Lately I've been listening to a ton of Bob Drake, Thinking Plague, and 5UU's.  On my fifth attempt in a year to buy Thinking Plague's In This Life (I know I could get it as mp3s on Amazon, but mp3s would be an insult to the mighty group).  I've heard that it's many people's favorite by the group, we'll see how it goes for me.  The first half of In Extremis is just freaking perfect, though...the second half sometimes leaves me a bit behind, but still. 

As for Mr. Drake...haven't heard a bad thing come from his pen/mouth/guitar/bass/drums/keyboards/etc. 

Same goes for 5UU's, for the most part (though I've heard mixed things about the earliest material). 

Basically, though...American RIO has really been hitting the spot lately (yes, I know Bob lives in France at the moment, but I'll always associate him with the US scene). 

Opinions?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 19:30
Bob is going to be making a guest appearance with Thinking Plague at RIO as he lives in the region.

He put a poll up to vote on whether he should play as a furry or not, I voted for furry.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 04 2012 at 19:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 161>