Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 15:32
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Just recently purchased my first real RIO album in UZ's Heatwave, after hearing a discussion in one of the 80's polls about the song Funeral Plain.  Thinking of picking up UZed next.  Maybe checking out some Cow.

Make sure to pick up UZ's debut, Heresie, and Ceux de Dehors.

Start with Henry Cow's debut Leg End.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 15:35
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Just recently purchased my first real RIO album in UZ's Heatwave, after hearing a discussion in one of the 80's polls about the song Funeral Plain.  Thinking of picking up UZed next.  Maybe checking out some Cow.

What he said. Uzed isn't bad either, esp if you like Heatwave.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 15:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

RIOfest happening...certainly males in possession of headware not there. Disapprove
I was F'ing fantastic, I had a wonderful weekend.

30000 ft review

Firstly - loads of wonderful friendly people there, met old friends and made new ones so a wonderful experience before the music even started.

Day 1
Kafka - interesting experimental opening with ambience flowing to post rock power. Enjoyable B+
Caravan - strangely lacking presence even though I'm a big fan, loved the old stuff including epc 9ft Underground B-
One Shot - wonderful instrumental zeuhl extremely heavy and in the pocket all night . Excellent A
Day 2
Spoke Orchestra - French slam poetry would have been better if I understood French only lasted 2 songs as did many D
We Insist - straight ahead good post rock with energetic vocalist drummer. Enjoyable B+
Thinking Plague - spectacularly wonderful performance, much stronger than Cuneiform where Elaine was I'll. Magnificent A+
Magma - speechless ....... A+++
Day 3
RIO movie - excellently received very well executed with cameo from Englishman in UZ shirt drinking beer
C Vander masterclass - interesting
FAT32 - high energy keyboards and drums duo with masses of energy and humor. Entertaining B
Eric Baron - ambient electronic soundscapes - very Zen B 

I bet it was awesome.

And cool reviews. That FAT32 sounds pretty cool.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 20:50
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Good recommendation, I'd add Henry Cow - Western Culture.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 21:01
If you like Leg End, I'd say pick up its successor before Western Culture - Unrest is not only my favorite HC album, but it's also a bit of a smaller step into their later era.  Western Culture left me cold for a good while, originally, so I'd keep that in mind.  And if you like the darkness of Univers Zero, don't hesitate in finding a copy of the 2-for-1 of Present's first two albums.  The first album (Triskaedekaphobie) has my absolute favorite chamber prog piece (Promenade), one of my top pieces of music period. 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 21:11
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

If you like Leg End, I'd say pick up its successor before Western Culture - Unrest is not only my favorite HC album, but it's also a bit of a smaller step into their later era.  Western Culture left me cold for a good while, originally, so I'd keep that in mind.  And if you like the darkness of Univers Zero, don't hesitate in finding a copy of the 2-for-1 of Present's first two albums.  The first album (Triskaedekaphobie) has my absolute favorite chamber prog piece (Promenade), one of my top pieces of music period. 
My problem as a newbie with the albums between Leg End and Western Culture was Dagmar's vocals. I love them now but they took forever to get my head round.

Totally agree on the Present 2-1, those two albums are great. Though I probably like Barbaro more due to the stellar DVD concert footage.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 21:26
True, but Barbaro is also twice the price (approximately).  My absolute favorite rendition of Promenade is actually from the broadcast of last year's RIO Fest with Present/UZ/Aranis ALL on stage.  That one gave me goosebumps for HOURS. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 22:24
Barbaro is expensive!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 22:26
Worth the price if you like their style of music, though - I put it off forever because of the price, but once I got it I LOVE it. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 22:28

Worth the price if you like their style of music, though - I put it off forever because of the price, but once I got it I LOVE it. 
I do, but as you say, the price puts me off.  Especially since I never watch music DVDs.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 22:43
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I do, but as you say, the price puts me off.  Especially since I never watch music DVDs.

I'm with you, but for what its worth it's probably the best DVD I've seen (quality & content wise).

Though I've only watched it about 3 times. Embarrassed
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 22:59
French TV This Is What We Do........one of my favorites in this genre
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 23:04
I still need to dig into some French TV at some time.  I've heard some tracks here and there and enjoyed them all, but still haven't bought any of their albums yet.  Maybe they'll make it onto my Christmas list this year...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 17:04
I like French TV but I feel like some of their later material just runs together and doesn't really stand out in the crowd.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 20:17
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I'm with you, but for what its worth it's probably the best DVD I've seen (quality & content wise).

Though I've only watched it about 3 times. Embarrassed
I put it off for ages as well due to the price, & I normally don't watch music DVD's either but this one is stunningly good. Probably watched it more than a dozen times and it's up there with Oldfield Montreaux as my favorite DVD.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 20:19
Thanks for the recommendations.  Very interested in the Present CD you mentioned.  Especially since it contains Denis on drums.  Damn, he is insane behind the kit.  Also planning to check out some Henry Cow and of course, will check out some of those UZ albums. 

I realize though, that Heatwave is not the first real RIO album I've ever owned, as I do have French TV's This Is What We Do.  Have had that one for years.  Guess, I just never associated it with RIO, although that label makes sense. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 20:20

True, but Barbaro is also twice the price (approximately).  My absolute favorite rendition of Promenade is actually from the broadcast of last year's RIO Fest with Present/UZ/Aranis ALL on stage.  That one gave me goosebumps for HOURS. 
I was at RIO last year specifically for the Present-UZ-Aranis performance, it was stunningly good. One of my greatest concert experiences, I tried to sit back and let all 17 musicians wash over me simultaneously. My goodness I still get goosebumps thinking about it now.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 20:06
Anyone else here going to get the miRthkon DVD?  I finally got it ordered today, really excited for that.  They're definitely one of my favorite Avant groups, past or present, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got in store for us on the DVD, not to mention future material...also ordered their new shirt. Cool
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 20:13

Anyone else here going to get the miRthkon DVD?  I finally got it ordered today, really excited for that.  They're definitely one of my favorite Avant groups, past or present, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got in store for us on the DVD, not to mention future material...also ordered their new shirt. Cool
It's on the list.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 20:17
Nice.  Hopefully more people have similar lists. I know it's got a mix of live versions of older material and new material, along with what looks like (Based on the track listing) little skit-type affairs.  Based on the fact that they happen to enjoy Zappa as well, I'm going to assume those skit-type affairs are going to be funny as well, good thing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 161>