Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 161>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 17:01
I realised you were speaking about Guapo after I posted that reply.

Thanks for the nice words about the signature... I was trying to find a better photo of Klaus Blasquiz but couldn't... I think I'll have to do a vidcap of him from that MDK video.
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 17:15
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Thanks for the nice words about the signature... I was trying to find a better photo of Klaus Blasquiz but couldn't... I think I'll have to do a vidcap of him from that MDK video.

Good idea.  Then take a picture of yourself with a pair of maracas (or claves... it might be claves??) and we can all play 'spot the difference'. Wink
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 17:22
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

Good idea.  Then take a picture of yourself with a pair of maracas (or claves... it might be claves??) and we can all play 'spot the difference'. Wink

They look like tiny Van de Graff Generators. LOLEmbarrassed

I'd rather look like Klauz Blasquiz than look like I actually do. LOL
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 19:25
Is it just me or does Blasquiz look kinda like Wyatt?  

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 19:47
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

It's just you. Wink
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 19:58

I never would have thought that, but for some reason now that you mention it... he does look like Wyatt in that picture. LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 20:00
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

I never would have thought that, but for some reason now that you mention it... he does look like Wyatt in that picture. LOL

He doesn't though. Confused
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MovingPictures07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:25

Not entirely, but there's some resemblance. Maybe Jake and I are crazy then. Tongue
YesFan72 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YesFan72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:27

Not entirely, but there's some resemblance. Maybe Jake and I are crazy then. Tongue

In that case, I'm crazy too. Smile
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:28
Well you do listen to RIO.
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikerinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:39
I wouldn't have thought that, but I guess I kind of see it in the way you could argue anyone with long grey/white hair and a beard looks like Robert Wyatt. :P
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rileydog22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 21:46

I would certainly not rule that out. 

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrovsk Mizinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 03:48
Ladies (well judging by this thread, only Melissa shows up here, so Lady) and Gentlemen, tell me about Guapo, and why you like it.
And preferably an overview of musical features/attributes sorta deal as well.

Also, tell me about Present, and why you not only like it, but why it seems like Hughesman will possibly enjoy it.

Edited by HughesJB4 - August 14 2008 at 03:49
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 06:56
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Ladies (well judging by this thread, only Melissa shows up here, so Lady) and Gentlemen, tell me about Guapo, and why you like it.

Also, tell me about Present, and why you not only like it, but why it seems like Hughesman will possibly enjoy it.

Guapo's impossible to describe. LOL

That's not the answer you wanted, was it?

Present are like Univers Zero... only different. LOL

Again, that doesn't help, does it?

I'm feeling a bit brain dead today, so I'll leave it to Patrick, Assaf, Blowie or Melissa to explain. Embarrassed
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrovsk Mizinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:32

Guapo's impossible to describe. LOL

That's not the answer you wanted, was it?

Present are like Univers Zero... only different. LOL

Again, that doesn't help, does it?

I'm feeling a bit brain dead today, so I'll leave it to Patrick, Assaf, Blowie or Melissa to explain. Embarrassed

QFN=Quoted for n00bishness.

Seriously man, I asked for details, not how incredibly brief and undescriptive your reply could be.
Present like UZ.
That's a start I guess, given Heresie is a 5 star album in my books.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:36
Present features Daniel Denis, who was drummer of UZ, so they sound similar... but UZ have more brass, whilst Present are more guitar orientated.  Infact, they're more electrified.

Guapo are still too difficult to explain... their last three albums have been quite different.

Five Suns is from the Magma school of music.
Dark Suns is from the Magma, King Crimson and Doom school
Elixirs is erm... well I'm not sure
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrovsk Mizinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 08:39
Well that actually helps a bit, thank youThumbs%20Up
Present more electrified hey? Sounds like it's already on the money for my taste if I dug UZ.
*cue other RIO heads for more info*
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 10:13

Well that actually helps a bit, thank youThumbs%20Up
Present more electrified hey? Sounds like it's already on the money for my taste if I dug UZ.
*cue other RIO heads for more info*

I haven't listened enough to form a great description, but if you like UZ that much the probability is very high that you will like Present.  Search for the CD that is a 2-for-1 of Triskaidekaphobie and Le Poison Qui Rend Fou, I was able to obtain that for fairly low cost.  I've only heard UZ's debut but at this moment I'd say I prefer Present to UZ.
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote song_of_copper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 10:59

Hello Harry, one RIO Lady reporting for duty (although I believe there are others about... Cleo?)

Guapo: have a glance at the 'Guapo Appurrreciation Thread' for fulsome praise, descriptive flights of fancy, etc. Tongue  The short answer is: intense, sinister, intellectual, dark, if Lord Byron and Aleister Crowley had a RIO/avant band... Big%20smile  Has a really distinctive drum sound, kind of crisp, hissy and militaristic.  Bass guitar to the fore, cool keyboards also.  'Elixirs' is a bit of a departure from the previous two albums, with more varied instrumentation - sounds like the soundtrack to a creepy movie.  I've not heard the pre-'Five Suns' stuff.

Present: it sounds like a fantastic combination of man and machine!  (I came up with that on my walk to work this morning! LOL)  It's really quite repetitive (hence the machine part!), and you could call it dark, but it's also jaunty and mischievous (and thus nicely human-sounding, rather than utterly cold).  A less daunting spectacle than UZ, but no less satisfying.  Why would you possibly enjoy it?  Well, for starters, there's Roger Trigaux, whose guitar occasionally sounds like... a person suffering excruciating agony, but enjoying it. Wink

I hope that helps! Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 11:30
The first description also sounds like Shub-Niggurath who sound nothing like Guapo. Wink

Listen the guitar on Shub-Niggurath albums, it's even more agony (but good agony) than Trigaux. Big%20smile

I listened to Shub-Niggurath's third album earlier and oh my... it's quite a departure from Les Morts Vont Vite yet it's utterly brilliant as well!

It goes further way from chamber prog and sounds completely alien.  It sounds far less structured and melodic but I love the chaotic madness!

It's a push for me, as to whether it's darker than Les Morts Vont Vite or not... but oh my, is it a good album!

Just be careful though... don't expect a follow-on from Les Mort Vont Vite (or the self-titled debut), this is proper avant-prog.  This is noisey, harsh, unmelodic, clinical and clunky.  I love it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 161>