Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 161>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 12:19
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Cheer to Cheer-Accident latestClap

Brilliant album indeed!! Clap
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 12:25
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Cheer to Cheer-Accident latestClap

Brilliant album indeed!! Clap

Echoing what Trouserpress has been saying for months now....this right now is my 2009 album of the year.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 12:37
Right, that does it, I'm putting this on my next Wayside order. LOL

I'm not sure when that'll be though.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 15:27
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Alternatively, you could get it for a pretty fair price on UK amazon and save yourself pricey shipping and a lengthy wait! Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 16:06
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Alternatively, you could get it for a pretty fair price on UK amazon and save yourself pricey shipping and a lengthy wait! Wink

Is that from Amazon or via Amazon Marketplace?  I've not used proper Amazon in ages but I do use the likes of Caiman to get reasonably cheap books and CDs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 16:41

Is that from Amazon or via Amazon Marketplace?  I've not used proper Amazon in ages but I do use the likes of Caiman to get reasonably cheap books and CDs.

Both, by the looks of it. Personally, I find amazon to be pretty reliable (though not always the cheapest). I managed to get North Sea Radio Orchestra's debut from them recently after a couple of other retailers let me down (claiming they had it in stock when they'd sold out and had no idea when they'd acquire more copies). Worth checking every now and again, and certainly cheaper than ordering from Wayside for us Brits.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 17:35
I also need to get the recent Afenginn release too, plus some old Canterbury jazz (if I can find it), so I may take a look.

When I do use Caiman (via Amazon), I always make sure they're new too and not second-hand.

Although, David, you have to support the little guys and Wayside are smaller than Amazon.  So in theory, I'd rather give Steve Feigenbaum and his staff the money and not Amazon. Wink

Edited by James - July 18 2009 at 17:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 17:49

Although, David, you have to support the little guys and Wayside are smaller than Amazon.  So in theory, I'd rather give Steve Feigenbaum and his staff the money and not Amazon. Wink

Agreed. But these matters take on a rather different perspective when you've spent a year unemployed, I've found.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 22:29
Well there is that.  However, it's hard to resist those $3 blowout sale items too...
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 07:03
Due to overwhelming praise here in the RIO room, I've ordered the new miRthkon.  Looking forward to it.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 09:06
This was posted over at Progressive Ears:

"Hey folks,
I'm Kavus Torabi, I play guitar in the UK bands Cardiacs and Guapo. I have a new solo album of sorts by a project called Knifeworld. The tunes are quite 'song' based in a psch/prog/rock sort of way. It's out on August the 17th on Believers Roast records.
It's available on ' triple gatefold sleeve' CD, Gatefold sleeve 180 gram vinyl (with free download of the entire album), iTunes and most other download sites.
The album will be available in UK record shops but can be ordered directly from the distributor here
http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/artists/KNIFEWORLD.htm

Knifeworld is now operating as a live band. News and updates posted here and here.
http://www.facebook.com/knifeworld
http://www.myspace.com/knifeworlduk

Many thanks
Love
Kavus
xxx"

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 12:32
Kavus is a cool guy.  I spoke to him on his birthday at a Guapo gig.  He even lucky-dipped my Guapo Badge out a bag full of assorted Guapo badges.

I'll certainly try and check out his solo album.  Sounds interesting!  He (as well as his wife) is a huge Magma fan, so I hope he has drawn some influences from them, as well as Cardiacs and Guapo, of course.

Edited by James - July 19 2009 at 12:35
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolariS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 12:46
I came across a free album a few weeks ago and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. It's on the internet archive so I thought I'd share.

Charts and Maps - Enemies of C.Frias

Los Angeles based indie-jazz/math-rock (though subtly defiant of both terms)band Charts and Maps have released a 4 song EP, titled "Enemies of C.Frias". Working with engineer/producer Chris Schlarb (whose solo projects and free-jazz duo I Heart Lung are released through Sufjan Steven's Asthmatic Kitty records), the band have managed to further hone their sound while losing none of the adventurous flair of their previous releases.

Characterized by unrestrained song structure, a keen ear for new aesthetic, and an unabashed ability to throw a looping curveball in the form of a key change or time signature switch, Charts and Maps still make music for people who understand music, but have developed upon their ability to blend the aforementioned with catchy and grooving hooks. Their music is intrinsically unclassifiable, roving between genres, tied together by stylistic nuances--categorized by their uncategorizability (yeah, it's a word, apparently), as much as anything else. Instead of losing themselves in heady concept, as many bands with this kind introduction do, Charts and Maps are unequivocally listenable and sonically pleasant. Take a listen for yourself.

As key members of Heard.of.Elephants, an art/music collective that has been gathering praise, acclaim, and following in the Los Angeles area recently for their forward-thinking stance on showgoing (mixing art, music, film, and sociality into one convenient event), Charts and Maps have taken their live show to a new level. Adding Jay Watford on guitar and Mike Allison on Sax, the band's energy is unmistakable. The affair is a lot more raucous than one would imagine when listening to the intricacy of the music.

http://www.archive.org/details/LostChildren053

Edited by SolariS - July 19 2009 at 12:54
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 16:20
So I have yet to hear Samla Mammas Manna (or Von Zammla- or other spinoffs)... what can I expect?

also, on a side note, for those into the more jazzy/avant garde side of RIO, do not be afraid to pick up the two albums by Richard Woodson's Ellipsis.... frickin' stunningly complex and difficult (yet rewarding) listening experience there....
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 16:23
I have a Rich Woodson's Ellipsis album but haven't played it yet.  I got it for $3 or $4 in the Wayside blowout sale.  So there's no excuses in not getting it. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 16:29
Play the damn thing already, would ya??????      Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 09:58
Speaking of Cheer Accident, these two albums were in my email from Wayside today:

Thymme Jones-Career Move $13.00
Solo album by the leader of Cheer-Accident.
"On this solo CD from '97, he delivers a beautiful collection of songs that draw from the wells of the Robert Wyatt and Brian Wilson songbooks, drenched in late-night solo ambience. This stunning collection is largely made up of solo voice with piano accompaniment, with horns and percussion added sparingly. The signature of these songs is in a turn-of-phrase and choirboy vocal delivery that is similar to Jim O'Rourke's on his Eureka or Richard Youngs anguished ballads on Saphie. Similarly, Thymme Jones is an avant-garde post-rock artist turned songsmith, who's love of American pop is channeled through an experimental know-how that gives this album a distinctive and unique edge."-Skip Jansenn/All Music Guide [Perdition]
http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PERDITION%20TJ%2001

Thymme Jones-While $13.00
Steve Reich-ian solo album by the leader of Cheer-Accident. "Five piano “quartets” (recorded on 4-track) with hypnotically intertwining phrases." [Perdition]
http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PERDITION%20TJ%2002

also has Scott Walker ever been considered for inclusion in Progarchives?  Hist last three releases are certainly avant garde chamber stuff- enough to warrant attention?  I think so.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 16:53
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

So I have yet to hear Samla Mammas Manna (or Von Zammla- or other spinoffs)... what can I expect?

Samla Mammas Manna - Ramshackle jazzy improv, absurd musical slapstick, moments of dissonance and occasional beauty and some surprisingly tight compositions surrounding all the improvisation and silliness. Start with "Maltid".

Zamla Mammaz Manna - Tighter, more focused and a little more serious in tone. Still full of playfulness, though, and with some highly infectious and memorable tunes. Try "Familjesprickor" and take it from there.

Von Zamla - Zamla at their most serious and structured. The silly vocals have pretty much disappeared now, but the compositions are jaw-droppingly powerful and often quite complex. I suggest you start with "Zamlaranamma".

I'm a huge fan of this group in all its distinct phases. They cover so many elements of RIO and do it all with boundless energy and a real sense of fun. I hope you find them as delightful to your ears as they are to mine. Good luck!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 18:48

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

Samla Mammas Manna - Ramshackle jazzy improv, absurd musical slapstick, moments of dissonance and occasional beauty and some surprisingly tight compositions surrounding all the improvisation and silliness. Start with "Maltid".

Zamla Mammaz Manna - Tighter, more focused and a little more serious in tone. Still full of playfulness, though, and with some highly infectious and memorable tunes. Try "Familjesprickor" and take it from there.

Von Zamla - Zamla at their most serious and structured. The silly vocals have pretty much disappeared now, but the compositions are jaw-droppingly powerful and often quite complex. I suggest you start with "Zamlaranamma".

I'm a huge fan of this group in all its distinct phases. They cover so many elements of RIO and do it all with boundless energy and a real sense of fun. I hope you find them as delightful to your ears as they are to mine. Good luck!

thanks for the breakdown... I will be receiving 4 SMM albums pretty soon.  Need to check out Von Zamla also.... Clap
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 20:52
OK everyone, miRthkon is now here at progarchives!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4665

Anyone who wishes to add the EP and Vehicle are welcome to do so - I have the track listing for the EP but not the lineup, and I'm awaiting the CD.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 161>