Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Alan Parsons` Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Alan Parsons` Project
    Posted: August 16 2008 at 14:26
Geek I am new to this forumConfused, Like "The Alan Parson`s Project"; Isoa Tomita, Jean M Jarre, Klaus Schultz etc.
Olde Fogey
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 14:31
ahhhhhh..  you don't have to yell man hahahhah

love the APP myself.. my favorite was always I Robot

love JMJ's Oxygene.. and have just started to get into Schulze

welcome to the forum.. and have a clappies.. would normally be two.. but you lose one for hurting my ears hahahha

Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 14:37

Too much sax makes you deaf, oldefogey, we are a meek and gentle breed , us proggers (hahahaha) .Shocked

I have a soft spot for "The Voice" and "Some Other Place" from I Robot . The first 3 APPs are tremendous.

We also have a slew of Electronica gurus here, enjoy. Micky already gave you complimentary clappies , you got to earn them from now on !
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 14:54
I'm more of a 'Turn of a friendly card' man, myself...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
oldefogey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 15:35
Can I add Led Zep, [Gary Moore -  looking for the "Loner Track" purchased the EP, but was stolen]; Pink Floyd, Genesis, Dire Straits, Camel, ELO, Michael Schenker.
Olde Fogey
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 15:46
you may certainly add ELO Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 16:31
How about Tangerine Dream, you like them too?

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 16:37
^ that is a group I have been listening to a LOT recently...  especially their first 4. 
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 16:49
Welcome! ELO and APP are two groups that deserve more respect, IMO. Clap
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 16:59

Clap and a clappy for Dire Straits, not on the forum but certainly one of the more intelligent rock bands.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 17:01
if he mentions Industrial Disease being a favorite DS track... he'll get another clappie

hell...  I can give myself one for mentioning it can't I?

LOL

edit...

insert clappie

Clap

Edited by micky - August 16 2008 at 17:01
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 17:23
Clap next patient please...

But before I get totally off track, I Robot was a great poppy sorta rock release at the time, right up there with Breakfast In America and Year of the Cat.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 18:31
I quite like APP. I have 'Turn of a Friendly Card' and 'I Robot' For me they are probably on a par with Manfred Manns Earth Band. Sometimes very good, but often a little bland. That said I've not heard all they've done.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 21:12
Ooo! n Amiga user Clap - Hi Alan, welcome.

What?
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 21:35
I love that you're a fan of Schenker Thumbs%20Up
jalist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2008 at 08:10
I love the line in that song "Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong" :)

Hmm, Alan Parson's Project. The first album is great, especially the side long classical piece on side 2. Eve and Pyramid are also great albums but they haven't made a decent album (imo) since Eye In The Sky.
metalisnotprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 20:30
Now i maybe dumb, but if the Alan Parson's Project is prog, why isn't ELO?

Don't go into the guff already on here. The APP is pop not prog, i've listened intently to all their albums, some good, some abysmal and some worse. My favourite is Ammoniun Avenue, and that's is as close to prog as Take That.

Can someone please explain why they are here.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 22:56
Originally posted by metalisnotprog metalisnotprog wrote:

Don't go into the guff already on here. The APP is pop not prog, i've listened intently to all their albums, some good, some abysmal and some worse. My favourite is Ammoniun Avenue, and that's is as close to prog as Take That.

Nobody has to explain you anything. Since you have such a friendly nickname, it's already clear explanations for you are not necessary. You already know your truth, and none will change it. So please, don't start asking for clarifications on how this site is run with just 3 POSTS.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2008 at 12:51
Originally posted by metalisnotprog metalisnotprog wrote:

May I make a couple of suggestions, MinP, which might ultimately give you a more enjoyable experience on PA.

Firstly, you will notice that some bands are listed as 'Prog-Related' on PA, as opposed to being fully progressive, of which APP is one.  This conclusion was reached by a number of our experienced Collaborators assessing their discography and influences over a period of time.  having done so, they felt that APP fell into one of the following categories:

Prog Related is the category that groups bands and artists that:

- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, OR

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, OR

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog.
I personally think they fall into more than one, especially the first, as their influence has been substantial.

For the full definition of Prog-Related, please click on this link:

Secondly, this thread has been opened by another newbie, Oldefogey, so that he can introduce himself and tell us what music he likes.  This is the only thread most of us (in all probablilty) ever get to dedicate entirely to ourselves, so this isn't the place for arguing over the artistic merits of APP.  You are still welcome to do this of course, but in this case, the Proto-Prog & Prog-Related Lounge would be more suitable surroundings...Wink

Thirdly, I would suggest that you might have a word with one of our Admin team to change your name, when you have thought of a good new one.  Unfortunately, as The T quite rightly says, 'MetalisnotProg' is unnecessarily confrontational, and won't gain you many friends among those of us who enjoy Progressive Metal.  Try and think of something more original, maybe whitty, but remember that forum members will always try to shorten it (which is why I'm nearly always called 'fanny'...Confused)

Finally, Please take this in the spirit it is meant... we wish both you and Oldefogey a very enjoyable, stimulating, educational and long-lived stay on PA...Clap

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 15:27
Good post, Jared! Thumbs%20Up

First off, a very belated welcome to Alan!  I love those artists myself, so you're in "bad" company. ;)

Just a  couple of notes on m.i.n.p. (I do prefer to call people by their real names in their profiles).  I agree that metal is not prog, and would say that rock is not prog either.  Progressive rock is Prog, and Progressive Metal is a kind of Prog, but rock and metal in and of themselves are not prog.  In fact, for me, one of the primary defining characteristics of Prog is its fusion of styles, so pure rock or metal is not Prog to my ears.  There are many great metal-fusion bands.  For a purist, Prog was a temporal movement in the late 60's-70's.  It brings me to a niggling question I've had, if Progressive Metal is not Prog Rock (and I've thought of metal as a rock subset) and this site was bulit to archive Progressive Rock albums/ bands, then how relevant is it to the site?  This question has been asked of various categories (I should raise this in the other thread, but since it's a related thought to what I was saying...).

As to Alan Parsons Project since you did ask, and never said anyone had to explain it to you: Jared's post is good, and it is important to recognise the differences (though not always clear-cut and people have differences of opinions) between bands in Related categories and Prog categories.  For me APP is a no-brainer, particularly based on the first two albums, but also later material.  Not only was it influenced  by progressive rock acts (of course Alan Parsons worked on Dark Side of the Moon, which admittedly, I don't think that Prog and Pink Floyd while part of the Prog canon is not as Prog to my ears as many other acts), and it has influenced many Prog artists (one of my favourites being Jozef Skrzek) nut it clearly blends Prog qualities with more mainstream rock.  It fits on every count as far as I'm concerned.  Growing up in the 70's, my circle considered APP Prog, and to me it is still proggy (I think there is a strong case for it in Crossover, in fact).  Early APP, at least, is quite widely considered Prog, I believe (at least I thought so).

It would be interesting to research how APP was generally classified in the 70s, because there has been much revisionism since then about what is Prog and what is not.

I have Type-O blood, so edited for typos.

Edited by Logan - September 17 2008 at 15:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>