Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saw Dream Theater live, and now I don't like them.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSaw Dream Theater live, and now I don't like them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:52

Can a mod move this too the Live Performance reviews please?

Edited by MisterProg2112 - August 25 2008 at 22:53
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:54
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

Portnoy is just an annoying, arrogant, overrated jerk-off.

Geoff Tate?  Is that you?  Wink

Edited by NaturalScience - August 25 2008 at 21:55
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

it seems you've had a pre-existing problem with Portnoy and this set it off
also this thread is kinda funny because its like bizarro PA where people are rushing to defend DT rather than sh*t on them as per usual
notice they're more or less the only band that's allowed to have that happen
but
tradition is tradition

I also agree Portnoy can be a bit pompous but I judge by music and keep personal lives seperate. From my understanding Robert Fripp was a prick but he was a f**king amazing guitarist

Just like Maynard, great singer, huge jerk..from what I hear.

I met Portnoy last year, and I can honestly say that he is one of the nicest people I've ever met, that goes for the entire band actually, they love their fans. Also, I find him funny when he performs live, if he just sat there with a blank face for the entire show, it wouldn't be as fun to watch them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:07
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

Portnoy is just an annoying, arrogant, overrated jerk-off.

Geoff Tate?  Is that you?  Wink

LOL 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:32
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Originally posted by stupidn00bwhocreatedtopic stupidn00bwhocreatedtopic wrote:

I honestly don't know how I fail this much...it's beyond comprehension

Seriously now...is this really needed? Stern%20Smile

You disagree with him. We get it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:38
yeah its fun and games for the first few but sometimes people run at troll posts with full force and things get ugly

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:57
Sorry for acting a little immature over the past couple of days on this thread guys. I've edited all of my posts to show that I'm a bit more intelligent then I acted, also so nothing offends anyone, and I'm sorry if I did. I was trying to have some fun with this guy because I knew he was probably one of those people who come on for a topic, and when it's finished and pretty dead, would've moved on and not come back.

Sorry again everyone.

-Mike

Edited by MisterProg2112 - August 25 2008 at 22:58
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:21
The "Is Dream Theater just self-indulgent?" debate is age old. Dream Theater is quite simply a band that focuses on the quality of their sound performance first, and then the stage presence next. Simply put, they started with a great stage presence on their early albums, mellowed out a bit, but on their recent Chaos In Motion tour they seemed to have a bit more confidence.

Now is that such a crime? Some bands jump up and down like 13 year old girls seeing the Jonas Brothers for their entire set, so how is it even remotely arrogant of them to have fun [Portnoy standing up and whatnot]? Mike Portnoy is quite obviously a metal fan, so the headbanging, standing, etc. is just part of the show, lighten up.

As for him apparently yelling at the stage hand, Dream Theater take the precision of their live show very seriously, so if the mic wasn't swung at the right time, the performance may have suffered.

And if Portnoy is so arrogant and self centered, why does he put out countless demos, dvds, behind the scenes footage, bootlegs, etc, for his fans?

Finally, as MisterProg said, I met Mike last year and he was unbelieveably nice to each and every fan.

This is simply my opinion, please reply in a civilized way if you choose to reply at all.

"I was told, theres a new love that's born for each one that has died."
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:21
LOL Not to mention the astonishing admission that one can dislike a band (an entity that exists for musical entertainment foremost, not visual entertainment) that one previously liked based on a live performance, but it is ridiculous and shameful to want a players to apparently stand and deliver like statues.

Just stay at home.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:34
Originally posted by Mantra Mantra wrote:

The "Is Dream Theater just self-indulgent?" debate is age old. Dream Theater is quite simply a band that focuses on the quality of their sound performance first, and then the stage presence next. Simply put, they started with a great stage presence on their early albums, mellowed out a bit, but on their recent Chaos In Motion tour they seemed to have a bit more confidence.

Now is that such a crime? Some bands jump up and down like 13 year old girls seeing the Jonas Brothers for their entire set, so how is it even remotely arrogant of them to have fun [Portnoy standing up and whatnot]? Mike Portnoy is quite obviously a metal fan, so the headbanging, standing, etc. is just part of the show, lighten up.

As for him apparently yelling at the stage hand, Dream Theater take the precision of their live show very seriously, so if the mic wasn't swung at the right time, the performance may have suffered.

And if Portnoy is so arrogant and self centered, why does he put out countless demos, dvds, behind the scenes footage, bootlegs, etc, for his fans?

Finally, as MisterProg said, I met Mike last year and he was unbelieveably nice to each and every fan.

This is simply my opinion, please reply in a civilized way if you choose to reply at all.

I actually think they've always been fun and like to joke around a lot, especially the altering of the lyrics (See on one of the Fan Club CD's the "What Did They Just Say Track, I know I've showed that to you before though Scott LOL)

They're a fun band.
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:36
Agreed, thats what I was getting at. That track is truly hilarious backing up the point that theyre more or less regular guys that like to have fun.

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:39
Man the exact thing happend to me! But I can´t say they where arrogans, in fact they where quite cool and Labrie even sung better than in the albums. They sounded great... but... I don´t know... I stoped liking them half thrue the show... and havent listen to a single song of them since (this was in march). I honestly think I needed a concert of them to realize I dont really like them...Confused And yes, the showing off got really boring really fast, but the worst thing for me is that they pretty much played every song exactly like the studio versions... but I don´t think this was the only thing that led me to disliking them... I can´t put my finger on it, but I seriously don´t like them anymore after having seen themConfused
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:42
^ They must've not played Surrounded '07, deffinitley altered from the album version, sounds very good too. But like you said, not exactly the reason you stopped liking them.

Edited by MisterProg2112 - August 25 2008 at 23:44
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:44

^ Listened to Surrounded '07, deffinitley altered from the album version.

Along with the Medleys at the end which are always fun to see what they will consist of.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:44

^ Listened to Surrounded '07, deffinitley altered from the album version.

Along with the Medleys at the end which are always fun to see what they will consist of.

True, both medleys from ProgNation were superb
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:46
The entire show was superb xD.

They seem to get even better each tour in terms of precision.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:49

The entire show was superb xD.

They seem to get even better each tour in terms of precision.

They seem to just get better every tour Tongue
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:57

^ They must've not played Surrounded '07, deffinitley altered from the album version, sounds very good too. But like you said, not exactly the reason you stopped liking them.

It´s the strangest thing. And I still think they are great guys, I for one don´t have a problem with Portnoy, I think he is a very nice guy and you can really see he loves what he does, and if anything positive came out I like Rudess more now than before, I even got some of his solo stuff... but Dream Theater as a band... no longer holds any interest for me. Maybe some day I will listen to them again and like it, but I know it´s not a band I would go to see again...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:59
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

It´s the strangest thing. And I still think they are great guys, I for one don´t have a problem with Portnoy, I think he is a very nice guy and you can really see he loves what he does, and if anything positive came out I like Rudess more now than before, I even got some of his solo stuff... but Dream Theater as a band... no longer holds any interest for me. Maybe some day I will listen to them again and like it, but I know it´s not a band I would go to see again...

My friend is the same way, he wouldn't like to see them again, but he likes them a bit. His favorite band is Collective Soul though LOL, not saying that Collective Soul is bad, but it's not really from a "Prog Fan's" point of view. 
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 00:00
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I've experienced similar things with bands I used to like or love. What it came down to for me was the dryness of the material I had and the fact that there was nothing new. I dont feel that way for Dream Theater at all but you may. Maybe give their new album a listen when it comes out next year, or check out clips from their DVD online when it comes out in Sepetember, perhaps it would re-kindle your interest for them

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>