Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rage Against the Machine fans and Audioslave fans?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRage Against the Machine fans and Audioslave fans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rage Against the Machine fans and Audioslave fans?
    Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:14
I was just wondering how many people are huge RAtM fans are out there while also being a huge fan of Audioslave. When Audioslave's first CD came out, I bought it, but couldn't get into it. It sounded like Rage with a new singer. And I like Chris Cornell's voice, he is a great vocalist.

Just curious.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:30
Yah i'm a declared fan of both bandsThumbs%20Up

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:37
There are two different questions:

"Rage Against the Machine fans and Audioslave fans?"
"how many people are huge RAtM fans are out there while also being a huge fan of Audioslave?

I suppose the first one would be: Are Rage Against the Machine fans also Audioslave fans?

If not well...

I'm a fan of Audioslave, and not from RAtM, not a "Huge" fan, but I like to hear them once in a while. My fave album by them is Revelations, which IMO is their most complete and consistent album. While Audioslave(debut) and Out of Exile have some great tracks, Gasoline, Cochise, Show me How to Live, Doesn't Remind Me, Be Yourself, Your Time Has Come, Drown me Slowly, Man or Animal, Like a Stone, What You Are, others...
Though I must admit, the band have a very OBVIOUS formula to each song, that if you're a Prog fan, it might annoy you. Riff-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Solo-Slow Verse-Chorus Louder, very few exceptions..
Still I like the band very much.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 19:52
^You're statement on "if you're a Prog fan, it might annoy you", as if you suggest being a prog fan reduces your chances of liking it somehow. I like prog, sure, but also heaps of other stuff to, I don't let being a "prog fan" make me a high brow elitist that only listens to "complex" music, nor should it do that to anyone else IMO

Anyway....

I love RATM. Don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't normally like rap at all (except for some 80s stuff), but the rap/metal/rock thing happening here works for me.
I learnt at least half of their songs on guitar. The songs are relatively simple in structure, yes, but some of Tom Morellos riffs are actually harder to play than you realize, as it has to be extremely tight and you need to get it grooving really well.
The most complex part of their music, is Tom's sound experimentations. Being able to re create them yourself would be ridicuously hard.
Tom Morello is one of the most innovative guitarists of all time really, and for that I admire him a lot.

Audioslave, I never loved, but nonetheless, some well written songs and nice to see Tom continuing to experiment with more guitar sound wackiness.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 20:59
yea what he said

anyway im a big Rage fan, and I like Audioslave, but dont own any of their albums
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 23:58
Yeah.. . . that is why I love Rage. Tom Morello does some awesome guitar stuff. And I do not like rap. And the only rap-rock band I like is Rage. Any band that does it now is a copy. Well, not really. But Mudvayne did it on thier first full length CD, and Slipknot does it on a song in thier first album too. It always makes me angry when I hear it. It is so out of place. There is something about De La Rocha's rapping too. I just like it.

Has anyone heard this new band De La Hoya has done with the now former drummer of The Mars Volta? I listened to the samples on Amazon (it is an EP w/ 6 songs) and have mixed feelings. Zach sings. . . and it sounds wierd. Not really bad, just wierd.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 03:02
Like Rage quite a bit. Was listening to them when I had my one and only car crash. Haha.

Audioslave was pretty awful though. Tom Morello's rhythm playing is....limited. Cornell's voice was pretty terrible for some reason. I don't know if it was just him trying to sing different or what but his voice changed for the worse. I was upset he didn't do a follow up to Euphoria Morning instead of Audioslave.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 09:34
Heart Rage big time.
They were an absolutely visionary band in late 90s popular music.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Audioslave.
Seriously.  given the people who are in that band they should be infinitely better than they are.  They have the talent to make maybe the best popular rock records ever, but they choose to make music that's bland, boring, trite, and pretty much an insult to our intelligence and their talents.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 11:21
I love me some rage EmbarrassedHeart
ghost of tom jode is an absolute favorite of mine regardless of genre. morello could write riffs like few could. crazy guitar effects too from bending the neck and all other sorts of weirdness. i like!
audioslave not so much.

and rage is touring! that'd be a killer show id love to go.
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 11:33

I love Rage, but I don't really care for Audioslave. Morello's guitar style seemed more like a natural compliment to Zach de la Rocha's angry ranting rather than Chris Cornell's wail. Cornell's best work was with Soundgarden.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 11:36
morello and the entire band actually played with such a GROOVE. thats the biggest thing i come away with from rage's music is the pure funk groove. hard to mimic. 
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 11:43
I love RAGT, but haven't heard Audioslave in a while so I can't really comment on this one..

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 00:45

I think, maybe, you're a little harsh there Goldenspiral. But, I don't really disagree with you, lol. Rather than form a new band, it is like they tried Rage with a new vocalist, and it doesn't work.

And I don't know why I said De La Hoya. I thought that was his name for so long, I don't know why. Old habits die hard I guess.

Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 01:50
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

I love RATM. Don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't normally like rap at all (except for some 80s stuff), but the rap/metal/rock thing happening here works for me.

Try, Primer 55 "The (New) Release" album.  Let me know what you think.  I'm with you here, but I absolutely love this album.

The absolutely craziest pit, I've ever been in, was RATM.  Usually you can hang back and avoid being slammed into, but at the RATM there was NO safe place in general admission whatsoever... place went absolutely nuts.  I fell in love at that very moment Big%20smile

I love Chris Cornell.  Think he has one of the most unique voices in Rock.  Audioslave's albums miss for me, I just feel that they really could be so much better.

Anyway...
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 02:16
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

And I don't know why I said De La Hoya. I thought that was his name for so long, I don't know why. Old habits die hard I guess.

Maybe for the boxer Oscar de la Hoya LOLLOLLOLLOLWink

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:40
I'm a Rage fan, although i'm not that keen on Audioslave. System of the Down are also brilliant.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 13:52
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

^You're statement on "if you're a Prog fan, it might annoy you", as if you suggest being a prog fan reduces your chances of liking it somehow. I like prog, sure, but also heaps of other stuff to, I don't let being a "prog fan" make me a high brow elitist that only listens to "complex" music, nor should it do that to anyone else IMOAnyway....

I was reffering to the Prog Fans that say that music that goes: verse-chorus-verse-chorus-10 sec solo-chorus, and think that's crap.

I wasn't reffering to everyone that listens to Prog, if that's what you understand I'm sorry if you've been offensed(or offended?)

Dr.No.7134 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 16:10
I love RATM except renegades and audioslave is very good aswell.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 16:18
I never got into either of the bands because at the age when it was cool to get into them I started digging classic rock instead and then tastes went in a direction that had no link to those bands.
sig
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 16:32
RATM was my favorite band for a  long time.
Since I'm a Chris Cornell fan, I liked Audioslave, not as much as Rage but they had some cool songs.
The self-titled Audioslave album was pretty intense, it's one of my favorite's of this decade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>