Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVice President choices.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: In your opinion which candidate made the better choice?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [40.00%]
4 [13.33%]
2 [6.67%]
3 [10.00%]
9 [30.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 23:41

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Dont know much at all about Governor Palin, but it is pretty cool McCain chose a female VP
He certainly made a better choice because she would make a much better-looking VP than Biden

Hmmm.....I'm not so sure......
  O please....

In fact she has better looks than McCain too

She definitely beautifies the Republican ticket

Edited by IVNORD - August 31 2008 at 23:47
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 23:51

[QUOTE=IVNORD][QUOTE=JJLehto]Dont know much at all about Governor Palin, but it is pretty cool McCain chose a female VP
He certainly made a better choice because she would make a much better-looking VP than Biden

I don't know, Joe's pretty hot.  LOL  

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 00:03

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

I liked Ron Paul because the President has more influence on foreign policy than on anything else and Paul seems to be the only candidate who has the sense to want to get the hell out of this Iraq trainwreck as quickly as possible.  
Ron Paul has a few good ideas but he's so confused on the economy... is it true he used to be a Libertarian? His economic views are pretty close to theirs

He ran for president as a Libertarian once, and he is very much aligned with that party, but he has always remained a registered republican.  He's got some economic ideas that I'm not a fan of, but a) I'm not sure that the president has very much power over the economy and b) unless you write-in Alan Greenspan you're not voting for a candidate who knows much about the economy anyways. 

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 00:41

I liked Ron Paul because the President has more influence on foreign policy than on anything else and Paul seems to be the only candidate who has the sense to want to get the hell out of this Iraq trainwreck as quickly as possible.  
Only? Have you never heard Obama speak?
if you own a sodastream i hate you
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 00:46
We won't get out of Iraq during a term of Obama.  

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 10:01

Reasons to pick Palin as vice presidential running mate

By REX W. HUPPKE

Why Sarah Palin would be a good choice for vice president:

-Offers proof positive that the only inexperience that matters is Barack Obama's inexperience.

-Will ensure that no American child will ever grow up without learning to spell "Iditarod."

-Her peppy, youthful demeanor will make McCain look grandfatherly rather than just old.

-Will be a highly motivated candidate, as election victory would get her the hell out of Alaska.

-Has degree in journalism, a surefire sign of brilliance.

-Believes nothing would spruce up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge like a few hundred oil derricks.

-Nearly 30 years McCain's junior, she'll open the door for him to frequently use the term "whippersnapper," thus making the candidate more appealing to octogenarians and people yelling at kids to get off the damn lawn.

-Has kids named Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig. Those are some kick-ass names.

-Should easily attract disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters. As long as they close their eyes and abandon every ideological issue they've ever stood for.

-Country couldn't have handled the international indignity of a vice president named "Mitt."

-She's not Dick Cheney. LOL

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tih/story/299211.html

Sarah Who???
By Madeleine  Begun Kane

Dear Johnny, I can not conceive
What could possibly make you believe
That your anti-choice pick
Could possibly click
With us Hillary-gals.  How naive!

You must think that we women are sheep,
Who would swoon at a female for Veep.
But a right-wingnut gal
Who’d control our canal?
Oh, that hole that you’re digging is deep.

Yes, your pick has a beautiful face
And she’ll help you to shore up your base.
But she’s wrong to the core
And (like you) she’s just more
Of Bush/Cheney … with feminine grace.

http://www.madkane.com/madness/2008/08/30/sarah-who/

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 01 2008 at 10:12
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 13:51

We won't get out of Iraq during a term of Obama.  
Any factors that would prevent him would also prevent Ron Paul and his campaign blimp.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 14:29
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Just in case no one has noticed but the Iraq government and the present administration are working on a withdrawal schedule right now and should have it concluded before the election.  So unless the new president  wants to piss off our manufactured ally I would suppose they will just honor this agreement so the point is moot.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 15:05

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Dont know much at all about Governor Palin, but it is pretty cool McCain chose a female VP

Hmmm.....I'm not so sure......
  O please....

In fact she has better looks than McCain too

She definitely beautifies the Republican ticket

Well she is a former Miss Alaska contestant. I don't think she is using that for her qualifications for VP though.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 08:58
I think McCain's choice was either unbelievably stupid, unbelievably cynical, or both.

Another ignorant, science-denying "born again" Christian fundamentalist politician -- just what the world needs now....Dead

So, disappointed female would-be Hilary voters are supposed to vote for Palin now are they,  just because she is a woman? What an insult to women, to reduce the whole decision to a mere issue of gender!

I mean, I'm not making a direct comparison, but Madame Mao and Eva Braun were women too!

This little former mayor an aged  heartbeat away from "leader of the free world" and the helm of the most powerful nation and military machine on earth? I shudder to think! Would the Book of Revelations guide her Mid-East actions? Wacko

Hopefully, most 21st-century American women (and men) are just not that stupid. Stern%20Smile

I think Obama's choice was brilliant, and McCain's is just ridiculous (leading me to suspect that the Reps know they won't win this time, anyway).

thank god.... Wink

And no, I don't want to "debate" my opinion with anyone who blindly follows party allegiance over brain.Exclamation

Edited by Peter - September 02 2008 at 09:11
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 09:03
(deleted by the CIA)

What about these rumours about secret grannies and a pregnant teenage daughter? Oh dear, I feel a bad case of hypocracy coming on.

Edited by npjnpj - September 02 2008 at 10:01
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:16

Ron Paul has a few good ideas but he's so confused on the economy... is it true he used to be a Libertarian? His economic views are pretty close to theirs

He ran for president as a Libertarian once, and he is very much aligned with that party, but he has always remained a registered republican.  He's got some economic ideas that I'm not a fan of, but a) I'm not sure that the president has very much power over the economy and b) unless you write-in Alan Greenspan you're not voting for a candidate who knows much about the economy anyways. 
1) no one man has very much power over the economy but  men can influence certain economic trends in a very profound way; 2) politicians must not know a lot about the economy but they have to have a rudimentary level of understanding how it works. Have you ever watched a Greenspan/Bernanke congressional testimony? Some questions from the committee members sound idiotic.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:18
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Just in case no one has noticed but the Iraq government and the present administration are working on a withdrawal schedule right now and should have it concluded before the election.   
Really? How do you know?
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:28
I agree with peter, it was both phenomenally stupid and amazingly cynical.

It's increasingly clear that the choice was made ONLY because she's a woman, hoping to swing Hillary voters, and no other reason than that.

I thought it was brilliant at first until I looked at her record.  Why would any woman vote for ANYONE who votes against equal pay for equal work??  Apparently Palin thinks she should be paid less to do the same job as a man.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:29
I think he meant the schedule, not the withdrawal, if that's what you're asking.  Would have to be some kind of freakin' miracle to complete the withdrawal by then.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:37
As much as people on the internet hate to admit when they're wrong...Wink

The more I'm finding out about Palin the more nutty things are coming out, and I'm starting to think this was a bad move.  Apparently the vetting process was minimal to non-existent (story about it in the NY Times).  About the only good thing about the pick is that hardcore social conservatives love her, but I'm starting to think McCain may have sacrificed more votes then he's gained - and perhaps even more astonishing, I'm not sure how much thought the campaign put into this - bizarre considering how much time they've had to do so.

The "wooing" of Hillary supporters is pure B.S. - I live with a Hillary supporter and the Palin pick was a turnoff, not a booster.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 13:45
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I think McCain's choice was either unbelievably stupid, unbelievably cynical, or both.

Another ignorant, science-denying "born again" Christian fundamentalist politician -- just what the world needs now....Dead

So, disappointed female would-be Hilary voters are supposed to vote for Palin now are they,  just because she is a woman? What an insult to women, to reduce the whole decision to a mere issue of gender!

I mean, I'm not making a direct comparison, but Madame Mao and Eva Braun were women too!

This little former mayor an aged  heartbeat away from "leader of the free world" and the helm of the most powerful nation and military machine on earth? I shudder to think! Would the Book of Revelations guide her Mid-East actions? Wacko

Hopefully, most 21st-century American women (and men) are just not that stupid. Stern%20Smile

I think Obama's choice was brilliant, and McCain's is just ridiculous (leading me to suspect that the Reps know they won't win this time, anyway).

thank god.... Wink

And no, I don't want to "debate" my opinion with anyone who blindly follows party allegiance over brain.Exclamation

I don't think he knew about all the ridiculous scandals that are now coming to light (State trooper, close association with Ted Stevens, etc.). Right now the talking heads are still going on gut feel reactions, once people start talking about all that it's over. I didn't think anyone would win a landslide, but she has made it possible.

I am positive that McCain and Palin will be remembered as the ones who put the final nails in the coffin the Republicans have been building for themselves for the last 8 years. And I'm saying that as someone who was kind of hoping that McCain would win.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 17:43

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Just in case no one has noticed but the Iraq government and the present administration are working on a withdrawal schedule right now and should have it concluded before the election.   
Really? How do you know?

because Iraq wants it.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 17:45
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I think he meant the schedule, not the withdrawal, if that's what you're asking.  Would have to be some kind of freakin' miracle to complete the withdrawal by then.

Yes exactly.  It is more in the  form of a treaty.  Be hard for either new candidate to change it because this is what Iraq wants.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 21:29
OK, I needed to move some stuff since I posted it into the totally wrong political thread:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Heyyy, lookie what I found:

and there's also this:

And by request:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>