Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush Live DVD announcement
    Posted: September 23 2008 at 15:22
Found this in my mail just now:

The Snakes & Arrows Live DVD will be released on November 25th in standard DVD format and Blu-ray Disc.  Please visit www.rush.com for more details.

The rescheduled release of the ROCKBAND full album download for MOVING PICTURES by RUSH will happen Tuesday, September 23rd.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 15:31

Angelo, I also posted this info in the Rush Fan Central, but it is probably good that you post this in press releases too.

Misomex777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 16:31
Thanks to prog archives for its Richard Wright memorium Cry
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 08:35
^ Wrong topic Misomex, not that I don't agree.

On a happier note, the Rush DVD is good news. There's too many new DVD's coming out though..I need this one too.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 09:01
Well - with Christmas and other festivities on the way, why not ask Santa?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 09:38
As if we didn't have enough Rush DVD's already... Ermm
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 10:22
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Really, when will the greed stop. I`m fed up with these guys.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 10:28
What is great is that if you are a Rush fan like me I can have another video to document my favorite bands latest tour with their latest song.  Judging by the posts of other Rush fans on this site, I am not alone in being happy to have another concert DVD from the boys.  Fortunately for you, there is no gun to your head that says that you have to run out and buy this DVD.  And if the demand for the product doesn't meet the supply then the "Greed" will stop. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:04
Just in time for my wife to buy me it for Xmas.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:07
I thought that by Different Stages they were really pushing it. That cover EP feedback was a good example of a cash grab. They should have just included that as a bonus CD on an album like Vapour Trails. And all those compilations that I`ve lost track of. After Signals ( which in my opinion is one of ther best albums ) I think I just lost interest. I fail to see the ongoing fascination with these guys. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 12:13

Again, being a Rush fan, I have listened to Feedback numerous times and I enjoy it.  Since it is approximately only 20 minutes long, I like to throw it on when I only have a short window to listen to something.  They didn't play the songs note for note.  They added a touch of Rush to each of the songs that they played on that album.  At the time that they released the EP they were going on their 30th Anniversary Tour and they wanted to have something "new" for their fans to hear.  They charged an EP price for it, unlike Porcupine Tree who are charging almost full price for their EP. Angry 

Was Feedback a label demanded release?  I haven't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me.  But you know what, again their is no gun to your head that says that you must go out and buy it. 

In regards to the live albums, I admit that I preferred their previous pattern of releasing a new live album after every 4 studio albums.  But I am certainly not complaining to have an abundance of Rush live performance to choose from.  Most Rush fans love their live performances and don't give a damn that the band doesn't improvise like King Crimson, or play a different set every night like Pearl Jam.  What we do like is that we have a documented piece of Rush history in our grubby little hands that we can take home and listen to and watch whenever the mood strikes.  And if they get rich in the process, and it encourages them to create a new studio album and go out on tour again than as a Rush fan, more power to them.  I absolutely love Snakes and Arrows as much as any other Rush album and if in another year or two they release a new studio album it will be completely worth it to me; haters be damned.

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 14:47
While I know that some fans can never get enough of their favourite bands, I have to say that VB does have a point.
There's a couple of canadian "classic rock" bands that I joke about, saying that they have more live albums and compilations than they do actual studio releases.
Is this a "real" problem ? Not really, except that it gives some indication as to what groups are still able to draw decent sales with.
And the fact is that DVD sales are the one thing that P2P and IPods have not yet hurt. But how many DVDs can a band release before they can be said to over-milk the cash cow ? Uriah Heep has 22 studio releases, if you include the U.S. only "Uriah Heep". They have 12 live albums. They also have 13 DVDs (yes, I know that some are not from the band, but rather "critical" overviews). Along with that, 13 best of, and  various compilations.
Now, it is true that record labels are responsible for part of this overkill. Especially if it happens that you've been on several labels over the course of your career. But surely, groups could at least try to offer some differences when flooding their fans collection with these "new" releases.

I know that the collectors & completists are an easy target for generating sales. But does it really make sense for anyone to have 30 versions of Gypsy ?
As an example, I am a big fan of Gentle Giant, AC/DC, Motorhead, and Rush. IN all four cases, I have only one live album from each and no compilations. I have Gentle Giant's two DVDs. But for AC/DC, I only have Family Jewels and Plug Me In, but not one of the live presentations. I have none of the Motorhead DVD releases, and as for Rush, I've rented them as they came out.
I used to be a completist, but them I found out two things - my collection took up too much space, and frankly,  being able to say that I had the entire Deep Purple collection really wasn't that big a deal, considering that I played the Concerto LP once, and never even took it back out (i.e. I didn't like it, and even knew I didn't like it when I bought itConfused). I.E, I have everything band X released, including the crap I don't listen toTongue
Maybe a little quality control on the part of fans might result in record companies & bands making an effort to put out releases that are actually worth a fan's effort in buying them.

Edited by debrewguy - September 24 2008 at 14:52
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 16:12
Well - to be honest, I choose sides with rushfan4 here. If these three guys make money by doing what they do best, they're no different than me - except maybe if we compare amounts. Just as none of the people who know me, and like me, have to make use of my consultancy services, nobody who knows Rush is obliged to buy this DVD. I'm going to get it, that's for sure. Partly because the Snakes & Arrows concert I visited was a brilliant gig, partly because that same gig happens to be the one where the DVD is recorded. Thumbs%20Up

Thinking about it, I may actually be in that DVD - how's that for a reason for you not to run to the record store to get it? Tongue
ISKC Rock Radio
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 18:17
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Give it a rest.  These guys don't need the money and it is hardly about greed. 

If you don't want it, don't buy it.  I for one will be waiting the day it comes out.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 18:24
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Give it a rest.  These guys don't need the money and it is hardly about greed. 

If you don't want it, don't buy it.  I for one will be waiting the day it comes out.

Well put. I will also be waiting Approve

Some people need to ease on the cynical button.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 09:56
well I hope its the best Rush DVD ever !  I'll be checking it out   ..   one thing that Rush deserve from their fans is our loyalty as they have always done their best for us even in very hard times and have been very loyal and also very generous ...  think before you type ...  sometimes I`m astounded with how people can be.  If you are a fan you surely must be able to see a positive here , Rush are productive and that's as Geddy likes to say is  "Beautiful"   Tongue

Edited by Yorkie X - September 26 2008 at 10:00
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 12:43
Can I add that so far, the Rush live DVDs have all been well worth it ... and that they've yet to succumb to the semi-annual DVD release to supplant actual new material. live or otherwise. Unlike some other groups (unmentionable)
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Frippertron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 14:31

I might actually give this DVD a miss.. I am a huge Rush fan but found Sheiks and Arabs to not to be up to the standard.. (yes.. I know that is not the title of the album. )

The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 19:14
I'll be getting it on Blu-Ray Cool
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 00:30
I will not be getting it Wink
There are way too many other things from newer prog bands out there to spend my money on.

I loved Rush in the 70's & 80's - that's about it for me......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>