Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTool, Nine Inch Nails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2010 at 13:33
NIN are great but to put them in here suggests that anything avant-garde in its respective genre deserves a place here.

That essentially means every post-rock, contemporary classical and free jazz band as well.

I'm not 100% sure on how to define what goes here so fair enough.
And lo, the mighty riffage was played and it was good

<a href="www.last.fm/user/jonzo67" targe
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2010 at 13:38
It, generally-speaking, should be rock based music though, since this site focuses on progressive rock.  I certainly think that this site should be very experimental rock and avant-garde rock friendly.

Edited by Logan - April 06 2010 at 13:41
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 10:38
I always thought this site's strength was cataloging unknown gems for people to discover. I think that should be the focus, rather than putting the microscope on every well known band, looking for progressive elements. That's all I have to say on it.

That and Primus really needs to be in the Eclectic category /hypocrisy
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 12:51
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

I always thought this site's strength was cataloging unknown gems for people to discover. I think that should be the focus, rather than putting the microscope on every well known band, looking for progressive elements. That's all I have to say on it.

That means you're arguing for either a purge of the well-knowns or pulling up the ladder on well-knowns that aren't here yet.  Just to let you know, I've been on the Crossover Team for a few months now and most of our additions aren't well known.  Some are very new to the scene. 

And always remember "as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." - Donald Rumsfeld.

Also, here at Prog Archives we never ever ever move an artist from the category they are added to initially.  Nor do we ever ever ever spit an established category into other categories.  Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2010 at 13:08
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Well, your signature doesn't reveal wherefrom you hail, but as a general note people would benefit from considering that what is well known in their own backyard might not be well known with your neighbour. Particularly not if you're American, curiously enough. Examplewise I'm not familiar with Primus touring once in Europe, probably with good and economically justified cause. I've known Rush to have had one tour in the northern half of Europe the last 20 years or so, and Nine Inch Nails just don't sell as much here. I might be unprecise, but you get the general picture. I'm here to find out what's moving in the scene, regardless of whether a band grew up playing prog in a prog club for a prog audience, or whether commercial success in parts of the world might have disqualified certain bands in certain people's eyes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123